Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
milopedes,

Welcome to Websleuths!

I am not sure I understand what you mean by #3 .... are you saying Betsy was 'chosen' because she was wearing red clothing?

Let's look at what we do know, piece by piece, rather than willy-nilly. Once we all agree on a point, we can move forward to the next point.

I believe this was planned. Does anyone disagree? I'm not saying the killer(s) planned to murder Betsy, but the crime was planned in advance IMO. Here is why I believe this to be the case . . .

Precautions were taken.

1. The killer(s) performed the act in the most secluded area in the library.
2. The crime occurred on a holiday weekend (i.e., fewer students around).
3. The victim was wearing a reddish-colored dress (i.e., conceals visible blood).

If we can agree that the crime was planned out, to this degree at least, then I think we can logically conclude that the killer(s) did not stop to talk to someone by saying "somebody should help that girl".

Of course, I have my own theories on why the killer might have done so. But I'd like to hear some opinions of others on this fact and what I wrote above.

Planning also rules out the "random act" theory, at least to the point that someone wandered into the library that afternoon and killed someone just for kicks. She may have been selected randomly, but we can get to that point later.

The one problem with #3 is that there would be no guarantee that they would be able to find a victim in the library that day who had a red dress.

It seems possible to me that this might have been a case of mistaken identity -- if someone passed Betsy and saw her, thought she was someone else, and then killed her, this could explain the lack of motive on the part of the killer with regards to Betsy's life.

I've looked at this hundreds of times and remain at least as confused as I was the first day I read about it.

I think looking at the case piece by piece is an excellent idea of how to come to conclusions together, though.

milopedes,

Welcome to Websleuths!

I am not sure I understand what you mean by #3 .... are you saying Betsy was 'chosen' because she was wearing red clothing?

Thanks! Glad to finally be here.

Yes and no. Obviously, I think it is impossible to know the "agenda" of the real killer(s) in this case. We can speculate all day and never get it, or it could be right under our nose. But I do think that the killer(s) did not wish to get caught - really, who would? - and in all the preparation considered several possibilities.

One of those being the "what if someone approaches right after I have done this" scenario. So, choose a victim - female or otherwise depending on his or their agenda - who is wearing dark-colored clothing. Had she been wearing a white sweater, I doubt anyone would have thought she had a seizure. And while the killer(s) may not have known exactly what to expect regarding her reaction, whether the stab was accurate, etc., one thing that is common sense is that red conceals blood better than white, tan, or yellow. Just a thought.

The one problem with #3 is that there would be no guarantee that they would be able to find a victim in the library that day who had a red dress.

That is the beauty of it, though. The holiday break lasts, what, a week long? If the killer(s) were going to kill, regardless of who died, but wanted to do it during the less populated time all he (or they) had to do is wait until someone came along. Someone . . .

1. In that area.
2. During holiday break.
3. Wearing dark-colored clothing.
4. That fit their "need" (i.e., pretty, female, etc.)

But why wouldn't the staff members or library workers agree to share information? It just doesn't make sense to me. I know PSU would prefer this to just go away, as would any university, but it seems odd to me that after all this time everyone at the library simply falls in line with the school's wishes on this one. I would think that someone, anyone, would have said something by now to you or others who are serious about the case.

While I am just a lowly public school teacher, when "things" have happened at our school (yes, students have died), we have been issued a "gag order" from the school board & administration. Everyone knows that if you talk, they will find a way to get rid of you. I'd be surprised if Penn State wasn't the same way--and academic jobs are hard to come by in central PA. While I'd guess some are retired by now, I know of one teacher (elsewhere) whose pension was threatened if he talked. :(

And yes, I have considered that people tend to wear darker-colored clothing in the Fall and lighter-colored clothing in the Spring and Summer. So, the color of her dress may be a pure coincidence.

But I still think points #1 and #2 lead to the conclusion that planning occurred.

While I am just a lowly public school teacher, when "things" have happened at our school (yes, students have died), we have been issued a "gag order" from the school board & administration. Everyone knows that if you talk, they will find a way to get rid of you. I'd be surprised if Penn State wasn't the same way--and academic jobs are hard to come by in central PA. While I'd guess some are retired by now, I know of one teacher (elsewhere) whose pension was threatened if he talked. :(

I wouldn't refer to a teacher as "lowly", and if my message implied that I felt that way, I didn't mean for you to infer such meaning. I am simply perplexed that a "gag order" would be so rock-solid, with little to no one willing to talk whatsoever. Human nature would lead me to believe that while they have not discussed anything with the media, a good source might be a close friend or relative of theirs.

I wouldn't refer to a teacher as "lowly", and if my message implied that I felt that way, I didn't mean for you to infer such meaning. I am simply perplexed that a "gag order" would be so rock-solid, with little to no one willing to talk whatsoever. Human nature would lead me to believe that while they have not discussed anything with the media, a good source might be a close friend or relative of theirs.

I didn't take your comment that way at all! :) It's just the way many of us refer to ourselves.

While I discuss anything and everything w/ my mother (God help me if school officials ever find out!), most teachers/school employees just talk to each other. It keeps everybody "safe."

My question - how much planning? Did this perp come to the library with this intention? He had a knife. Did he plan in 10 minutes - 30 minutes - days? There seems to be such an element of luck in this case. Yes - some things helped lower the risk. The holiday time - that part of the library. But what guarantee did the perp have that stabbing wouldn't allow for someone screaming - yelling or at least making some kind of noise? So while I agree that there was some planning - I'm not sure - truly how well planned it was. In other words - getting away - was it good planning or good luck?

My question - how much planning? Did this perp come to the library with this intention? He had a knife. Did he plan in 10 minutes - 30 minutes - days? There seems to be such an element of luck in this case. Yes - some things helped lower the risk. The holiday time - that part of the library. But what guarantee did the perp have that stabbing wouldn't allow for someone screaming - yelling or at least making some kind of noise? So while I agree that there was some planning - I'm not sure - truly how well planned it was. In other words - getting away - was it good planning or good luck?

Well, you can never discount the importance of luck in any crime. No matter how well-planned, or not, an element of luck exists. But don't let that fool you into thinking, IMO, that this one wasn't well planned.

It is impossible to know how much planning, but if I had to speculate (and again, I hate to do this since I'm moving away from factual information into the realm of guesswork) I'd say the killer(s) probably were at least familiar with that area of the library; meaning, the killer(s) knew the ways in and out.

In terms of the "guarantee" that she wouldn't yell or make a noise, well, consider this fact. If we are to believe the woman who came to help Betsy, and she actually did yell for help, from all accounts it does not seem like immediate help came. Anyone familiar with the library might know the "ins and outs" of that area, and anyone familiar with campus might also know how few people would be around on the holiday and in the library.

And, part of the planning might have been done in other ways to ensure, or attempt to ensure, that she wouldn't yell out. Of course, that leads us to another point of discussion; namely, the "one stab" aspect of the crime.

My question - how much planning? Did he plan in 10 minutes - 30 minutes - days?

Again, I hate to do this because it deviates from factual information. But I get the feeling that this wasn't "cooked up" in 30 minutes. Of course, that would depend on other factors we must consider:

1. Was this a first-time killing (i.e., experienced and confident in just spur-of-the-moment)?
2. Was the killer(s) a student, faculty member, or PSU employee (i.e., already familiar with the environment)?
3. Do people simply walk around with hunting knives (assuming that is the accurate murder weapon)?

All points for later discussion, but all related somewhat to determining (or guessing, anyway) how much planning may have occured.

Right now, however, I'd prefer to stick to the facts and see if we can all collectively (or a majority, anyway) agree whether this was planned or not. If so, then we can move on to other details.

I need to go back and check - but was a determination made as to the type of weapon? A pocket knife opposed to a hunting knife makes a difference. I feel it was planned - just not sure how much planning went into the crime.

The perp had to be familiar with the library and how to get in and out. He did pick a time that lowered the risk of discovery. He had a weapon with him. I know you don't want to speculate - but doesn't whether the victim was random make a difference in the planning? Because if Betsy was an intented victim i.e. not picked at random - then I think it would be more difficult to plan this crime for the library.

The perp would have to know that Betsy was returning during the holiday. It isn't much to figure out if she was back she would go to the library. Well, I'm going to go and see if I can find anything about the murder weapon.

I need to go back and check - but was a determination made as to the type of weapon? A pocket knife opposed to a hunting knife makes a difference. I feel it was planned - just not sure how much planning went into the crime.

The perp had to be familiar with the library and how to get in and out. He did pick a time that lowered the risk of discovery. He had a weapon with him. I know you don't want to speculate - but doesn't whether the victim was random make a difference in the planning? Because if Betsy was an intented victim i.e. not picked at random - then I think it would be more difficult to plan this crime for the library.

The perp would have to know that Betsy was returning during the holiday. It isn't much to figure out if she was back she would go to the library. Well, I'm going to go and see if I can find anything about the murder weapon.

Well, I said that IMO planning ruled out the "random act" theory. But I don't necessarily think it would rule out the "random victim" aspect of the crime.

An enormous amount of planning could have gone into the crime, while still leaving open the possibility of having no particular person in mind beforehand; meaning, the killer(s) may have made plans to kill, get away with it, and what to do if discovered while still having no victim selected. This lends itself more to the "wrong place, wrong time" theory without necessarily attaching all sorts of extraneous "baggage" and speculation such as . . .

1. She happened upon a drug deal.
2. She interrupted a homosexual encounter.
3. Either #1 or #2 being someone she would know or who had something to lose.

All three of those things are pure speculation. I think more can be gained, at first, by examining the facts we know collectively and believe to be true.

Once planning occurred, if it occurred, the killer(s) could have simply hung around off and on until they spotted a victim of their choosing. Not really that uncommon in crimes in general. Again, speculation, but not nearly as wild or unbelieveable as some other theories or conclusions people have jumped to.

I think if we can all agree that this was planned, it rules out a lot of different theories and narrows the focus. Of course, there are other key factors that need to be examined. I just think working from the facts, one by one, will do more good than anything else.

What does everyone think?

One of those being the "what if someone approaches right after I have done this" scenario. So, choose a victim - female or otherwise depending on his or their agenda - who is wearing dark-colored clothing. Had she been wearing a white sweater, I doubt anyone would have thought she had a seizure. And while the killer(s) may not have known exactly what to expect regarding her reaction, whether the stab was accurate, etc., one thing that is common sense is that red conceals blood better than white, tan, or yellow. Just a thought.

This is true. However, it is useful to note that her red sweater was described in the autopsy report as more of a "smock," with a white or tan lapelled shirt underneath. I forget which but I have the report here in my files, will have to double check.

In terms of the "guarantee" that she wouldn't yell or make a noise, well, consider this fact. If we are to believe the woman who came to help Betsy, and she actually did yell for help, from all accounts it does not seem like immediate help came. Anyone familiar with the library might know the "ins and outs" of that area, and anyone familiar with campus might also know how few people would be around on the holiday and in the library.

I can shed some light on this issue. The killer's planning may have extended to picking a secluded area and time -- but at the same time, the library was host that day to Betsy's entire English class -- in the sense that anyone who signed up for office hours was there. In a 50-60 student class many had come in to work on the papers and were roaming the library after meeting with the professor, Harrison Meserole, in his basement office in the library.

The other issue is, there was a girl studying about 50 feet away at a desk in the core. Another potential witness.

Then there were the two men seen by the stacks supervisor as he came through -- witness #3 if you take the two men out.

The time factor has been greatly distorted by the media here as the actual times seem to bear out the following:

The man passed the desk and said "somebody better help that girl," and the desk clerk called the Ritenour Health Center to ask for an ambulance at 5:01 PM. She stayed with Betsy until the ambulance crew arrived and extricated her. She was pronounced dead at the health center at 5:19 pm, as evidenced by the autopsy report.

The health center is roughly a 5-minute ride away from the library...So if you allow arrival time, etc. it's just about right that this happened in 18 minutes.

Plus, arriving ambulance workers reported a small crowd had gathered and was trying to help Betsy, so I think stress played a part in her unidentified classmate's assertion that she called for help for 15-20 minutes unheeded.

Well, I think to understand the knife thing, one has to understand the area.

State College is a rural area, with lots of farming and hunting and just happens to have a college plopped in the middle of it. State College, having lived there in the 1980s, I can tell you, is firmly 10 years behind the times, even compared to other cities in PA. Very conservative area even in the 1960s.

Plus, unlike today, it was not uncommon to have guns, knives, etc. Dad used to take his gun to class when he was working part time as a police officer in the 1970s. Guns were often stuffed in lockers in high schools so that kids could get a start on hunting right after school before dusk fell.

The other issue here, and I believe it's a salient one: Pennsylvania's rifle deer season always starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. So it wouldn't be unusual for a hunting knife to be out having a walk with its owner at that time of year.

The blade width on the knife as estimated by the coroner was @ 1 1/4", and length about 3 3/4". Not a "hunting knife" as I know them. This is more representative of the pocketknife I carry every day to open boxes and cut banding at work.

facts we know [/I]collectively and believe to be true.

Once planning occurred, if it occurred, the killer(s) could have simply hung around off and on until they spotted a victim of their choosing. Not really that uncommon in crimes in general. Again, speculation, but not nearly as wild or unbelieveable as some other theories or conclusions people have jumped to.

What does everyone think?

My only issue with the planning idea is that there was no way to guarantee that the single stab wound would be fatal. As the police said in one of the original reports -- they felt the killer did NOT know Betsy, and may have stabbed her from behind, because he didn't hang around to make sure she was dead.

I believe planning was evident in the aspect of probably knowing the layout of the library, etc., but this may just be from familiarity with the surroundings. Not necessarily that it was an ideal place, just that knowing the surroundings increased the chances for success in getting away with murder.

I'm willing to axe the drug deal idea as it seems very typical of 1960s groupthink in the LE community. Read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," where Hunter Thompson reports on a police conference on the drug trade in 1970. Many "bad things" were tied to "dopers" back then, esp. with the prevalence of recreational drugs in the area and multiple busts in the months before and after.
What about a rape attempt or exhibitionist activity?

It's useful to note that not even a month and a half after the incident, a male fitting the description tried to break into a girl's apartment on Allen St. not far from the college. A couple of other incidents took place shortly after where a knife-wielding would-be rapist approached women (unsuccessfully) in public. This man was never caught, either.

The description was always the same -- 5'8-6'0 tall, sandy brown hair, etc.

This is true. However, it is useful to note that her red sweater was described in the autopsy report as more of a "smock," with a white or tan lapelled shirt underneath. I forget which but I have the report here in my files, will have to double check.

Still good enough to conceal blood IMO. However, I'm willing to concede that the killer(s) may not have planned to that extent mostly because, after thinking about it, that is almost being overly detail-oriented.

I do still believe some thought, whether we call it planning or not, went into the crime prior to it occurring.

Thanks for the description of the area and about the knife and hunting. I had gone back and the article I read said about 4 inch knife. Which would not preclude a pocket knife. The width of the knife was a question I had - so thanks for answering that.

I agree with your statement about planning:
"I believe planning was evident in the aspect of probably knowing the layout of the library, etc., but this may just be from familiarity with the surroundings. Not necessarily that it was an ideal place, just that knowing the surroundings increased the chances for success in getting away with murder."

This murder seems to be more about the killers uncontrolled emotions rather than a killer killing out of preservation.

So did the killer go to the library that day with the intent to harm someone? Did he know what area he wanted to prowl? Did he want his victim to be from the English class? Was a specific group targeted? Because if this group was a target - then I would think more organized planning took place. Derek - do you know would all of the English group being doing their research in the same area?

Still good enough to conceal blood IMO. However, I'm willing to concede that the killer(s) may not have planned to that extent mostly because, after thinking about it, that is almost being overly detail-oriented.

I do still believe some thought, whether we call it planning or not, went into the crime prior to it occurring.

Well, the other issue with that becomes, if the person who did this planned it at all, that makes it premeditated. If it was premeditated, doesn't that indicate a predisposition to murder which would likely manifest itself again later in life?

I guess what I'm asking is, if you're inclined to plan and commit a murder, will you be completely happy and satisfied with yourself after only doing it once? And you never go on to commit another crime after this which would lead to your prints being taken and possibly matched with partials from the scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89