PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regarding the van having a picture of a mountain and a skier--in 1982 I had a white Ford Econoline van that I used for my janitorial business--I had a very large colorful magnetic sign made by a sign company stuck on the side of my white van. I had the sign company paint a big bright blue house with "Clean House" written in white on the house and below it in green Janitorial Services--and my city and phone number; it looked like it was painted on my van--but I could take it off anytime--it was heavy but it stuck very well to the van--most people didn't realize it was a magnetic sign. This might have been the case with the picture of the mountain and skier on the suspect's van--they simply removed the sign off their van after they left the neighborhood with Cherrie. The 2020 interview with Cherrie's school/neighborhood friends and her mother is heartwarming--so many people still grieving for her...even the detective now assigned to finding what happened to Cherrie started to cry in the video.
Great point about the van magnets. I think a lot of police time and man power were wasted on looking for this particular van. Unless you are extremely dumb, this van would of been disguised/discarded immediately after Cherrie was taken. Some people even question if that van was involved. There was another car that was at the scene too according to witnesses.

Keystone Cold Cases just released an episode about Cherrie's disappearance.

When 8 year old Cherrie Ann Mahan got off the bus in front of her Butler County driveway on February 22, 1985, she likely planned to walk up the weaving path to her home, hug her parents, Janice and Leroy, show off the school pictures she got to bring home that day, and prep for a sleepover with her friend that night. But somebody else had other plans. At some point between stepping off of her bus where another parent had seen her and making it to her front door, Cherrie Mahan was abducted and has never been seen again. Listen as Sarah tells the story and discusses theories with Chelsea and Grace.
I just listened to this. I think they did a good job explaining everything.

I've thought about doing an actual investigative podcast series on Cherrie to renew interest and re-investigate everything. I just wish I had the time to put into a project like this. It may be worth reaching out to some of the established podcasts that are popular to get more eyes on Cherrie's case.

Were the areas around Tower Road ever searched? That is the area where Cherrie's grandmother lived according to property records I searched. And where her mother grew up and from what I understand Cherrie lived most of her life if I'm not mistaken (from what I've heard).

Also where the convicted pedo lived right near according to property records and some posters here and on other blogs (Although he wasn't a known pedo until later years but he is on Megans Law)

It isn't a terribly long drive to get from Cornplanter to Tower. 10-15 mins I'd guess. Enough time to be "clear" by the time people realized she was gone I'd suspect.

Also the biological father. Who is he? Why was his name never made public? I guess because he didn't admit to being her actual father? Is it possible that man actually isn't her father? Could it be someone else either in the picture somehow or completely unknown?

Unlikely but who knows nobody has said anything other than he's an Armstrong County man.

Last edited:
This was posted on another thread but I’m pretty sure it was meant for this one.

Is this new information? I don’t remember ever reading about a life insurance policy. Seems odd for a child, usually if there is one for a child it’s enough to cover funeral costs. I didn’t remember there being a trust fund either. Could this have been some sort of ransom kidnapping that went wrong?

“In 1992, Cherrie Mahan’s family legally declared her deceased and donated the entire life insurance policy to the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children. Her trust fund was given to her brother.”

Edit: I searched and sure enough this is all old information, nothing new, my old brain just didn’t remember any of it.

Last edited:
This was posted on another thread but I’m pretty sure it was meant for this one.

Is this new information? I don’t remember ever reading about a life insurance policy. Seems odd for a child, usually if there is one for a child it’s enough to cover funeral costs. I didn’t remember there being a trust fund either. Could this have been some sort of ransom kidnapping that went wrong?

“In 1992, Cherrie Mahan’s family legally declared her deceased and donated the entire life insurance policy to the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children. Her trust fund was given to her brother.”
Many adult policies give the up option of inepensive lower value "rider" policies on the adults children under the age of 18 or 21 just for the purposes of burial and ends of life costs. My Erie policy was written to include them for my 4 kids until age 18 for only two or three dollars more per month premium. Luckily I never needed them and they just faded out as my kids became adults. I'm also in Pennsylvania if that matters.

Many adult policies give the up option of inepensive lower value "rider" policies on the adults children under the age of 18 or 21 just for the purposes of burial and ends of life costs. My Erie policy was written to include them for my 4 kids until age 18 for only two or three dollars more per month premium. Luckily I never needed them and they just faded out as my kids became adults. I'm also in Pennsylvania if that matters.
Yes I’m aware of that but those policies generally just cover the cost of a funeral. Obviously we don’t know how much the policy was on Cherrie, but it seems if it was a smallish policy just meant to cover funeral costs it wouldn’t have been sizable enough to note that it was donated to NCMEC.

There was also a trust fund mentioned, which leads me to believe there was some money that could have been had from a random situation.

Edit: looks like the trust fund was only the $3500 she had received from a car accident settlement. So I’m probably way off base.

As a child born a few years before her, I had a $3000 life insurance policy growing up, possibly through my father’s employment. Anyway, in the early 1980’s this amount would not be a huge insurance payout but would still be a significant donation amount to a charity so I see why it would be mentioned.

Latest youtube video posted on the Cherrie Case:

1st comment with lots of responses.

"This case hits very close to home. Bc my great uncle may have been involved he was never officially suspected however many of my family believes he was. Including him telling people he was working the day she disappeared but my great aunt (his wife) confirmed he had off that day, but wasn’t at home. And the fact that he repainted his truck immediately after the disappearance. My great uncle was a sketchy fellow. My grandma always felt uncomfortable around him and my great aunt never wanted the girls alone with him. Now why didn’t she divorce him? The time was very different, and she herself had severe mental illness problems. Even having electroshock therapy back when that was still in practice. Now the part of my families story I don’t believe. Supposedly, after the truck was given to another family member, a psychic told her that something was wrong with the truck and she name dropped Cherrie. Now I don’t believe in psychics so I have never believed this but it’s what my mom and grandma told. But his suspicious behavior after the disappearance is true. There was a lot more detail but I forget most of what they told me. Anyways he’s long gone so we’ll never know. And he had a truck and obviously the van was an important part of this case. So I’m not saying he did it for sure. This was the first video I’ve seen on this case and wanted to share my story as I’ve heard of her disappearance for as long as I can remember. And I want advice from the true crime community. Is this something I should tell the police. As far I know none of my family ever did (for some reason) I mean I know there is no solid evidence but anything helps right?"

Apparently he reported all of this to the authorities a few days ago.

Latest youtube video posted on the Cherrie Case:

1st comment with lots of responses.

"This case hits very close to home. Bc my great uncle may have been involved he was never officially suspected however many of my family believes he was. Including him telling people he was working the day she disappeared but my great aunt (his wife) confirmed he had off that day, but wasn’t at home. And the fact that he repainted his truck immediately after the disappearance. My great uncle was a sketchy fellow. My grandma always felt uncomfortable around him and my great aunt never wanted the girls alone with him. Now why didn’t she divorce him? The time was very different, and she herself had severe mental illness problems. Even having electroshock therapy back when that was still in practice. Now the part of my families story I don’t believe. Supposedly, after the truck was given to another family member, a psychic told her that something was wrong with the truck and she name dropped Cherrie. Now I don’t believe in psychics so I have never believed this but it’s what my mom and grandma told. But his suspicious behavior after the disappearance is true. There was a lot more detail but I forget most of what they told me. Anyways he’s long gone so we’ll never know. And he had a truck and obviously the van was an important part of this case. So I’m not saying he did it for sure. This was the first video I’ve seen on this case and wanted to share my story as I’ve heard of her disappearance for as long as I can remember. And I want advice from the true crime community. Is this something I should tell the police. As far I know none of my family ever did (for some reason) I mean I know there is no solid evidence but anything helps right?"

Apparently he reported all of this to the authorities a few days ago.
My friends tagged me on this video on FB, and I read the comments. I am wonder if he did get ahold of the authorities. I just wish one day we will know what happened to Cherrie. Her mom deserves closure.

Strange that he calls the vehicle a truck. It's probably nothing. But still, glad he reported it.

It's just important to keep talking about it. There are facebook groups that are active. "Memories of Cherrie Mahan". I also check youtube for new podcasts. Unfortunately, all the podcasts are pretty similar with no new info, but people talk about it in the comments at least.

e6455a69-7498-4d4a-b542-9da5ed32e343_750x422.jpg

Mahan was last seen on Feb. 22, 1985, when she got off her school bus on Cornplanter Road in Winfield Township.

Witnesses later told police that a blue or green conversion-style van was in the area of Cornplanter Road when Mahan got off the bus.

The driver of the van was never identified, nor was the vehicle found, according to police. Investigators would like to question the driver or any occupants of the van.

Mahan was last seen in a gray jacket, denim blue jean skirt, blue leg warmers, tan ankle boots, and a blue bookbag. She would be 46 years old today.

Tomorrow will be 38 years since the Disappearance of Cherrie. The articles I have seen in the news in the last week seems like they have no new leads.
I wish for one day we will know what has happened to Cherrie, and that her mom can have closure.

This case is close to my heart.

Police and psychics step-up efforts to find who took Cherrie Mahan 38 years ago​

Mary Ann Thomas
MARY ANN THOMAS | Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023 6:01 a.m.
1677066103066.png

Law enforcement and Butler’s psychic sisters are frustrated by a 38-year search for a suspect in the abduction of Cherrie Mahan from a rural bus stop in Winfield Township.
But they are trying harder and upping their efforts to find answers around the anniversary of the 8-year-old’s disappearance Feb. 22, 1985. Although Mahan was legally declared dead in 1998, police and family still hold out hope.
Mahan’s case is open.
State police welcomed two investigators from Team Adam of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children to the Butler station last week. They are reviewing some of the files of the case, a voluminous dive into 5,000 typewritten reports, plus notes, attachments, photos and more, said Trooper Max DeLuca, who has been leading the investigation.
“I hope someone comes through with some good firsthand knowledge,” DeLuca said. “Someone has to know something.”
He said he doesn’t want to speculate whether Mahan’s disappearance was caused by someone who knew her.
“It’s a unique case in the fact that it happened in an area that is so rural,” he said.
Police can only hope to receive more viable, solid tips from someone with direct knowledge.
“Hopefully, over time, it has started to eat away at them or someone they confided in,” DeLuca said.
The Vincent sisters, psychics from Butler County, will walk and pray with Mahan’s mother, Janice McKinney, to memorialize Cherrie and observe her disappearance at 4:05 p.m. today at McKinney’s former home along Cornplanter Road in Winfield.
A Winfield Elementary School bus dropped off Cherrie and some other students about 500 feet from her driveway along Cornplanter Road 38 years ago. A blue van with a mountain and skier on the side was parked near her driveway, according to eyewitness reports.
Cherrie’s disappearance became national news. The young, doe-eyed girl with an impish grin became the first person featured on the famous “Have you seen me?” circulars produced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
McKinney believes someone is alive who can tell the story about what happened to Cherrie.
“I just pray all the time that they would find it in their heart to just tell somebody,” she said. “I truly believe there are people out there who know what happened to Cherrie. Either they are afraid, or … I don’t know.”
Police looking for knowledgeable tips
Although police continue to run down every tip received, they need something more solid, DeLuca said.
Tips come in locally, as well as through Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers, which offers a $5,000 reward.
Police are looking for more than “someone gives me the creeps” tips, DeLuca said.
While there have been rumors and focus on Cherrie’s family and acquaintances, DeLuca doesn’t want to rule anyone out.
“Over time and all of the stuff we looked into, including family members, the case is open and no one is clear beyond a reasonable doubt until this thing is solved,” DeLuca said.
There are limitations in following up on the decades-old abduction. There were no license plate readers or home surveillance cameras at the time.
Without photos, for example, police followed up on hundreds of vans with illustrations of mountain scenes, skiers and even some cowboys.
“There is no evidence received that puts her in the van,” DeLuca said.
Team Adam investigators are Shawn Kofluk, a retired state police corporal, and Tom Maurer, a retired sheriff from Wayne County, Ohio.
“Maybe they will pick up something myself or my predecessors didn’t,” DeLuca said.
The team has access to technological resources the state police don’t have, Kofluk said. In addition, Kofluk said, he and Maurer are “starting at square one with the old police report, evidence and crime scene information.”
Maurer added that he appreciates the media keeping the story alive for the families and communities, as well as helping with the investigation.
The goal is to find Mahan.
“We don’t give up hope,” Kofluk said. “We are always looking, and that person is never forgotten. That is why we keep pushing.”
Strong but broken-hearted mother
When McKinney, 62, wants to think about her lost child, all she has to do is look at the tattoo she got last year on her left hand. The purple ink is stenciled from a note in Cherie’s handwriting when she was 6 that says “I love you, Cherrie.”
McKinney of Jefferson Township is the director of the housekeeping department at Washington Place in Richland Township.
“I worked 40 years in a nursing home. Death and dying is something I know about,” she said. “But not knowing where she is, whether she’s dead or alive, it’s like a never-ending story. It sucks the life out of me.”
McKinney has made statements over the years about possible suspects, including an acquaintance of Cherrie’s biological father, who McKinney said raped her when she was 15 and has never been identified publicly.
McKinney said Cherrie’s father still lives in Butler County and was local to where she grew up in Clinton Township.
“The person who I said was her father never wanted to admit to it,” she said.
McKinney said the father knew a biker gang she felt was dangerous, but she doesn’t know if they were violent. A pedophile still is a possibility, McKinney said.
“People didn’t talk about it then. It’s not like the sex offenders we know today through Megan’s Law,” she said.
“I don’t think that I ever knew somebody or anybody who knew me had that streak in them to do something this crazy,” McKinney said.

In 2015, a property in winfield was searched and a suspicious area was dug up by a team from Mercyhurst College. Was the location ever released?
Your post caught my eye today, on the anniversary of Cherrie’s disappearance. All I could find was this from 2014:

This week, a volunteer group's search dogs and the trooper combed a site off Winfield Road.

The dogs didn't find anything related to the Mahan case, but Birckbichler saw an earthen mound that didn't fit with the surrounding terrain.

“It looked unusual,” he said.

On Thursday, six Mercyhurst College forensic anthropologists and graduate students arrived to check the mound, just to make sure.

“There was nothing there,” the trooper said.

Your post caught my eye today, on the anniversary of Cherrie’s disappearance. All I could find was this from 2014:

This week, a volunteer group's search dogs and the trooper combed a site off Winfield Road.

The dogs didn't find anything related to the Mahan case, but Birckbichler saw an earthen mound that didn't fit with the surrounding terrain.

“It looked unusual,” he said.

On Thursday, six Mercyhurst College forensic anthropologists and graduate students arrived to check the mound, just to make sure.

“There was nothing there,” the trooper said.

Yes. I was just wondering if any locals remembered where this was? They had to have a reason to check that property. Was there a known pedophile in the community?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back