PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cherrie was born in 1976, the Driver's license of Lori Ruff/Becky Sue Turner has the date issued as being 1988. The girl in the pic looks older than 12, so I am guessing that is not Cherrie.

I see that now...the photos were just so strikingly similar to the computer age progression picture of Cherrie that it gave me pause.....the woman in the Idaho ID photos looks older than her "claimed" age of 19yrs. also....

I see that now...the photos were just so strikingly similar to the computer age progression picture of Cherrie that it gave me pause.....the woman in the Idaho ID photos looks older than her "claimed" age of 19yrs. also....

yeah that lady does. I believe they are thinking she is older than what she claimed to be. Cherrie is my "pet case" this is the whole reason why I joined Websleuths and started trying to match missing people with the unidentified. I hope one day she is found...

chaddylex, I'm originally from Soutwestern PA, growing up very close to where this happened, and was 15 when Cherrie disappeared. Occasionally I Google her name to see if anything has happened in her case. Since you call this your pet case, I want to ask you about the van because this is what has always stumped me.

I can understand why the van with the skier on it was never seen after that day--person had it repainted, drove it into a lake, burned it, etc. But why do you think it was never seen before that day? Having grown up in the area, vans with skiers on them are pretty rare there. Yes, it snows but SW PA isn't exactly a skiing Mecca. It's more toward the middle of the state where skiing is popular, where there are taller mountains.

Was the abductor from out of town? Hence the van never being seen in the area before that day. Did the kidnapper paint it right before the crime? I'm wondering what you think about it because it's a stumper. If the vehicle had been a white 1984 Chevy Cavalier, then I'd understand the car never being found. But a van with a skier on the side? It should stick out like a sore thumb.

Just an observation. It's kind of strange that this little girl was called "Cherrie" instead of the correct spelling. Cherie. Was there a name fad for creative spellings?

I always assumed it was an alternate spelling of Cherry.

Hi fasteddy8170,

Your guess is as good as mine about the van.. Was it a local person, who was it someone from far away? I live about 45 miles south of the area where Cherrie was abducted from. The man who lived a few blocks away from me with the skier van that resembled the sketch was an older man, a grandfather to one of my former classmates. I remember going home and telling my mom and dad that so and so's grandpap has a van with a skier painted on it like they have showed in the news. They blew me off, heck I was only 9 years old, but it has stuck with me for almost 30 years.

I even called the tip into NamUs a few years back to see if they could run the guy's name and see about him owning that type of van in 1985. I looked up the grandfather online and he passed away in 2002.

I would just love to know what happened to Cherrie. I am guessing the police have more information than they are releasing to the public, but who knows, she still hasn't been found. I did read a topix forum or some other blog where people were named as the kidnappers a few years back. I think someone linked it on this thread somewhere.

That's some interesting info you have there, chaddylex. I guess I have to ask the obvious questions:

-what do your parents (if they are still with the living) say about that grandfather now?
-have you ever contacted the former classmate? I know that would be an, uh, interesting conversation but . . .
-do you think any adult in your area noticed the van and contacted the police about it?
-was the grandfather the old, creepy type? I know that's a stereotype but I think you know what I mean.
-did the grandfather and his family have any connection to the Mahan's town? Yes, a long shot.

You're correct about the police. Who knows what they know--we could say that about any case on here. You'd think after almost 30 years they'd let the average person into the inner circle and use the public to crowdsource any potential leads.

The mind-boggling part is the van. As I remember it, the pictures of the van were put out pretty quickly after Cherrie disappeared. I remember it being all over the news. And not one person, not one, anywhere saw that van. I mean, it had to go somewhere, right? The news about Cherrie's disappearance was put out quickly enough that people living in the area could delve into the recesses of their minds to remember if they saw a van like that. But to our knowledge, no one did. It's like the van was a ghost or something. I mean, these days with Amber alerts, all it takes is a description of a car and a license plate # and people can locate kidnappers on highways. But back in 1985 nobody saw a very rare van? It's a little weird, isn't it?

I could say more but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

My family and myself didn't know the grandfather on a personal level at all, we just knew that he was the grandfather of one of my classmates because he lived a street behind them and I was at her house a few times, I don't remember for the life of me what he was like.

My classmate was adopted. Her mom was my girl scout leader when I was in brownies. Her parents ended up getting divorced sometime in the 80's. She started getting into trouble when we were in like Junior high, and was put into foster care. A year after that her mom died in an apartment fire. I have no idea where the girl is now. She didn't graduate high school with me, and I looked her up on FB and didn't find her.

I have no idea if anyone else in my area contacted police about the skier van or not. My parents still live in the same house as where I grew up, but most of my old neighbors have passed away or moved away. I doubt the people that are still around would remember anything.

Next month will be 30 years since Cherrie disappeared. I hope this is the year that we can find out what happened to her and the family can have some closure.

Thinking of Cherrie today. I hope some answers are provided soon for everyone involved in this case - family, friends, those that have followed this closely for so long.

It's very difficult for me to see this as something other than an "inside job." And I say this because of my familiarity of the area. I've lived my entire life 11 miles from where this disappearance happened. Winfield/Cabot is not an area one just stumbles across on their way to wherever. It's not necessarily a through-way to a bigger city/area, not really a short-cut to anywhere. If anything, it's out of the way of the towns you'd stumble across while driving through this general area. Someone would have to know the area to even know where it is - would have to know that bus pattern, family patterns, etc...they'd have to *know.* I don't know if I'm explaining this well or not, I can't even put it into words. It just feels like the chances of this being a random abduction are so slim. To stumble upon a school bus in pretty much the middle of nowhere with the goal of (or even spur of the moment decision) abducting a child is beyond anything I can comprehend for this area and where it took place.

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/y...95294-74/cherrie-mckinney-mahan#axzz3SXl4Zep6

On Sunday, about 50 people gathered in Saxonburg Memorial Presbyterian Church for a service in Cherrie's honor on the 30th anniversary of her disappearance. Pastor Carmen Shullo led the solemn service, with glimmers of hope and faith, that largely centered around Cherrie's mother, Janice McKinney...

Newspaper clippings were on easels in the church lobby on Sunday, and a bouquet of yellow roses and two photos of Cherrie were on a table. One photo showed a beaming, 8-year-old Cherrie, and the other was an age-progressed photo of what experts think she would look like today, at 38...

Perhaps more than anyone, Cherrie's disappearance devastated McKinney's mother, Shirley Mahan, “My mother absolutely adored her,” McKinney said. “It was Cherrie that got mom through the death of her husband, I think. She was such a special kid. She really was.”

Hello chaddylex. This case grabbed my attention when I came across it on The Charley Project website. I read through this entire forum and see your dedication to Cherrie's disappearance. I am like you and very interested in finding missing people. I think so often, where could they be??? I remember in 1989 a girl was missing who was 7 years old in a city I had just moved away from. She was found dead right around the corner from my old house, in an abandoned house. I remember thinking, as I was her same age, that it could have been me. They still haven't found her killer, and some speculated it was her parents. It's chilling and probably partly why I am so involved in missing person's cases too.

Cherrie - I also agree with others that say it was someone who knew her. I don't want to say her parents because that's not fair and her mother seems to seem pretty upset even in 2011's interview. Also, why donate all that money to Missing Kids site, and the trust? Some could say to not seem suspicious or because they sold Cherrie for money, but most people like that would still keep the money because they are selfish, etc. Also, they had another child. Why give up one and then keep the other? And keep her case going? I think it could be their friends or neighbors, but I doubt it was the parents. I also read that some people around town saw her at bars after she disappeared. Maybe she was. Maybe that's how she coped. Maybe she was an alcoholic and she drank to keep the pain away. We can't judge on that.

The van seems really confusing to me. But wish they would follow up on any and every lead, and get back to those who sent the lead in to let them know how it's going! Not sure what to think of that couple that was named. Seems like a disgusting and confusing statement on that blog. And wouldn't those names have come up long ago and checked into?

Sadly, so many bodies are unrecovered because of being burned, thrown in dumpsters and sent to landfills, or worse. And if her body hasn't been found now, it probably won't for a long time, if ever. I truly hope so though. I really wish someone would just finally have the guilt eat at them and mention something.

Hi! I'm new to this thread, but I've been thinking about Cherrie for 30 years. We share a common relative and I'm told that we had met/played together once or twice. I, too, was 8 in 1985 and Cherrie's disappearance had such a big impact on my life. It is touching to see how so many people continue to think about her and wish for a resolution to this heart-breaking case. Chaddylex, I love your dedication!

Hi! I'm new to this thread, but I've been thinking about Cherrie for 30 years. We share a common relative and I'm told that we had met/played together once or twice. I, too, was 8 in 1985 and Cherrie's disappearance had such a big impact on my life. It is touching to see how so many people continue to think about her and wish for a resolution to this heart-breaking case. Chaddylex, I love your dedication!

Aww thank you newMOm!! That means a lot! I never met Cherrie or any of her family, it has just been a case that has been near and dear to me... I think mainly because I live in the Pittsburgh area and Cherrie was a year younger than me when she went missing.

What does the family think? Do they think it was someone that Cherrie knew that abducted her or actually someone who was driving the skier van?

Hi! Yes, this case is so near and dear to me. It certainly sparked my interest and concern for other abductions, as well.

Since I was a child when this occurred, I was very shielded from most of the talk/discussion/fear. Since I've been an adult, I have had some conversations with relatives about it. I know that our common relative has always felt that Cherrie is alive somewhere. Wouldn't that be amazing! Another relative (just mine) worried that her disappearance was perhaps a "revenge" for someone who felt wronged, since she was familiar with that area and believed there was lots of criminal activities going on "underground" (I believe she mentioned something about the post office, specifically). That is honestly all I have heard.

Hi! Yes, this case is so near and dear to me. It certainly sparked my interest and concern for other abductions, as well.

Since I was a child when this occurred, I was very shielded from most of the talk/discussion/fear. Since I've been an adult, I have had some conversations with relatives about it. I know that our common relative has always felt that Cherrie is alive somewhere. Wouldn't that be amazing! Another relative (just mine) worried that her disappearance was perhaps a "revenge" for someone who felt wronged, since she was familiar with that area and believed there was lots of criminal activities going on "underground" (I believe she mentioned something about the post office, specifically). That is honestly all I have heard.

I think I have read somewhere that they thought her abduction had something to do with revenge on the family also, but over the years so many things have been said relating to her disappearance.

It would be wonderful is she was alive somewhere, with her being so young when she disappeared, maybe she doesn't know who she was or was brainwashed.

Hopefully one day we will all know what happened to her.

This past weekend my daughter had a softball tournament in the area where Cherrie went missing. I wish they would run a billboard in the area like "Have you seen me" maybe it will jog someone's memory or if someone knows about her disappearance, it will make them crack. I can't believe it's been 30 years since she went missing! Someone has to know something!!!

This case has been on my mind and in my heart for the last 19 years:

Cherrie Ann Mahan - Missing from Butler, Pennsylvania

At 4:05 P.M. on February 22, 1985,the above described child exited her school bus, in company with three other Students. She had approximately 100 years to walk to her residence, but did not arrive home. When she failed to arrive home, her father immediately began a search with negative results, and then notified the state police. A blue or green van, with a painting on the passenger side with a mountain scene with a skier coming down the mountain, was following the bus. There was also an unaccounted for blue colored car in the area at the time of the disappearance.

Please see Cherrie's picture then and what she may look like now:

http://doenetwork.bravepages.com/255dfpa.html

:bump:

I just learned of Cherrie's case after seeing her picture in the Red Plum "Have you seen me?" insert.

2015-07-10-09-38-50-1187294839.png

This is terrible that she has never been found. Going back to read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back