PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the name of an artist who has painted/photographed vans with art:
http://www.kevincyr.net/
Someone should contact him and ask if he's ever seen a van that matches this description.

Another area that LE should look into is van customizing. I would assume that there were auto shops that provided accessories and maybe even did artwork on vans during this time. Special types of paint would need to be used in order to paint on a van. This area sounds like it's off the beaten path. It's highly possible that this van came from a nearby community. Perhaps auto-body/customizing shops within a 500 mile radius should be contacted?

Cherrie has been my pet case and is the entire reason why I have been so interested in bringing the missing home and hoping to give the all the Unidentified people out there a name.

I live about an hour away from where Cherrie was abducted from, and was actually in Cabot this weekend at my daughter's fast pitch softball tournament. (I have never been there before)..I wanted so bad to ask the parents working the concession stand about their take of Cherrie's disappearance. (A lot of the people working would have been the same age or a little older when Cherrie went missing in 1985)... but I chickened out because they probably would have thought I was some kind of weirdo.

I did talk to a few of the parents from my daughter's ball team about it, and they do remember when Cherrie went missing, it was all over the news when we were kids. One of my daughter's coaches was talking to his wife on the drive up to the tournament about Cherrie being from the same little town we were playing at. It made me happy that others didn't forget about her.

Hopefully she will be found soon, it's been too long!!!

Cherrie will NEVER be forgotten here ever.
It touched all of our lives.
No child ever just disappeared from here before
and never found..............so sad.

Today going through the coupon section in my mail, there was Cherrie Mahan's
picture and what the LE thinks she would look like today.
So happy no one around here ever gave up...........

It will be 27 years next month since Cherrie disapperared. I remember seeing her disappearance on the news like it was yesterday. It scared me since we were the same age, and I had a guy who lived a few blocks up from me that had a blue van with a skier painted on the side...

Cherrie Mahan is the entire reason why I became involved in trying to help bring the missing home. I have been successful once and have been waiting to hear from another case about DNA results (for the 2 past years, god bless the Cynthia Day family).

I thought Butler Co State Police had some leads about a year ago, I know the lead in Michigan was a dead end, but I thought LE a few others... Hoping to find out what happened to Cherrie in 2012!

The merged threads have me a tad concerned I may have missed posts already addressing certain issues in Cherrie's case, so please forgive if this question has already been asked and answered!

I mapped out the area using a traditional standpoint in order to search UID's- and then went out from there using a 4 hr (vehicle) radius. Somewhere in that process, I came across a photobucket account with about a bazillion 1976 Dodge vans on it- and wondered- was the van seen from both sides? So if it was seen passenger side, would have been recounted from the children- and drivers side would have been from school bus driver, is that correct?
There are some at car shows that caught my interest- in particular, one at the Chicken Show in Hanover, PA.
Has anyone pursued this? TIA.

The merged threads have me a tad concerned I may have missed posts already addressing certain issues in Cherrie's case, so please forgive if this question has already been asked and answered!

I mapped out the area using a traditional standpoint in order to search UID's- and then went out from there using a 4 hr (vehicle) radius. Somewhere in that process, I came across a photobucket account with about a bazillion 1976 Dodge vans on it- and wondered- was the van seen from both sides? So if it was seen passenger side, would have been recounted from the children- and drivers side would have been from school bus driver, is that correct?
There are some at car shows that caught my interest- in particular, one at the Chicken Show in Hanover, PA.
Has anyone pursued this? TIA.

I haven't heard anything about the Hanover PA car show. I am also not sure if the entire description of the van if it was seen from both sides or not.... good question.

I have had dreams about this case for years. It has haunted me, I just want this solved and to know what happened to this little girl.

I have never been in the area until this past summer when my daughter had a softball tournament up there, but live a hour away.

Cherrie's on my mind this morning, not quite sure why, maybe because I just watched a school bus pick up a load of kids outside of my work.

I need to read back through the thread, but - was it ever mentioned if the LDT's the parents took...if they passed/failed? Also, do we know if the property where Cherrie lived before she went missing was thoroughly searched? I realize what those questions imply but I can't help but feel something was missed very early on....

Cherrie's on my mind this morning, not quite sure why, maybe because I just watched a school bus pick up a load of kids outside of my work.

I need to read back through the thread, but - was it ever mentioned if the LDT's the parents took...if they passed/failed? Also, do we know if the property where Cherrie lived before she went missing was thoroughly searched? I realize what those questions imply but I can't help but feel something was missed very early on....

Glad you mention that she has been on your mind. This past weekend, I had a dream that she had been found, she was matched to a UID thru dental records. I kept saying in my dream that I knew this UID was her all along... very very strange. I told my husband about it when I woke up. He of course thinks I am strange, but this case is the one I want to see solved. I want Cherrie to be able to come home, alive or at least give her family some closure...

Here is a snip from an article I found about Cherrie:

McKinney said, "There is somebody out there that knows and, you know, sometimes guilt will eat you away until, you know, you have to tell someone. And I'm just hoping that maybe this will be the year."

Early in the investigation, family members were given and passed lie detector tests. Still, investigators don't know for sure if the kidnapper knew Cherrie Mahan and her family or if it was a complete stranger. Anyone who remembers anything about the case is asked to call state police.

more at link: http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/t3966-new-lead-on-long-missing-pa-girl-cherrie-mahan-cherrie-may-be-alive

Cherrie Ann Mahan
Missing since February 22, 1985 from Cabot, Butler County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 14, 1976
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2; 68 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Pierced ears.
Marks, Scars: She has pierced ears. She has a dog bite scar on her left arm. The same arm was previously broken below her left shoulder; the injury had healed by the time of her disappearance.
Clothing: She was last seen wearing a gray coat; denim skirt; blue leg warmers; and beige boots.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Mahan was last seen exiting the bus from her elementary school approximately 100 yards from her family's home in Cabot, Pennsylvania on February 22, 1985. She has never been seen again. A bright blue or green Dodge van with a mountain and skier mural on both sides of the vehicle may be involved in Mahan's abduction.

Van

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Mahan's whereabouts, please contact:

Pennsylvania State Police
Troop D, Butler Station
724-284-8100

Or

Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Missing Persons Unit
717-783-5524

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: D1-326871

NCMEC #: NCMC601805

NCIC Number: M147906762

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Charley Project
Amber Alert Prayers
NamUs MP #2478
The Doe Network: Case File 255DFPA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/255dfpa.html

When reading the newspaper this morning, I found a new website for missing children, founded in Pittsburgh. Here is the link http://www.bringhome100.org/ Cherrie is listed as one of the missing... She has been on my mind a lot lately, hoping that she is found soon.

Good Morning all,

I joined this forum to relay the information I have about this case. I can put a time and a place on the van in question after the abduction. This is going to be a bit long, so you might want to take a minute before reading.

FYI: When I became aware of the case and the van in January 2011, I called both the Pennsylvania State police and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and relayed the information below. I have never received a follow up from either, thus I'm giving the information here in hopes somebody can run with it as there is enough information here to possibly connect a person to the vehicle.

In January 2011, CNN.com highlighted this case which included a description of the van in question which immediately caught my attention. I looked online for descriptions and sketches of the van and I was shocked as I regularly would see the van while waiting for the bus when I attended middle school. The sketches are very accurate - I'm 80% the van was a Dodge, 20% a Chevy and I'm sure it was not a Ford as my dad had one and this was not the body style. The rear round bubble, the blue body, the red skier, the mountains, all spot on. The van might have had a ladder and spare in the back, but I'm not positive. I also think it had cheap custom wheels which were chrome, but faded & pitting. I remember the van being in fair shape: unwashed with a bit of rust, but I can not recall any dings or dents.

I attended middle school from 1984 through 1987. The last school year (86-87) I would wait for the bus in front of my house; I used to wait a few houses down as another student and myself would board the bus together instead of the bus making two stops a few houses away. Since I remember seeing the van from in front of my house, it would have to be in this time frame as I waited alone.

While I waited in the morning, I most always saw the van travel west on Green Avenue in Poydras, LA 70085 and turn north onto LA 46 (East St. Bernard Highway) - which I presume was traveling to work being the time was consistent.

This information places the vehicle originating from one of the following streets, all in Poydras, LA 70085: Green Avenue, West Christie Street, East Christie Street, Goldfinch Drive, Kingbird Blvd, Starling Drive, Bobolink Drive, Flamingo Drive, Kingbird Drive, Kingfisher Drive, Meadowlark Drive, Redbird Drive, Bobwhite Drive, Egret Drive, Warbler Drive, Kinglet Drive.

It would take some serious digging, but if the vehicle were registered properly in 1986-87 and were traced to these streets, you would have the information of the owner or could at least narrow it down to a few people.

That is about all I can recall at this time. If anyone has any questions I'll monitor this thread for awhile.

Good Morning all,

I joined this forum to relay the information I have about this case. I can put a time and a place on the van in question after the abduction. This is going to be a bit long, so you might want to take a minute before reading.

FYI: When I became aware of the case and the van in January 2011, I called both the Pennsylvania State police and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and relayed the information below. I have never received a follow up from either, thus I'm giving the information here in hopes somebody can run with it as there is enough information here to possibly connect a person to the vehicle.

In January 2011, CNN.com highlighted this case which included a description of the van in question which immediately caught my attention. I looked online for descriptions and sketches of the van and I was shocked as I regularly would see the van while waiting for the bus when I attended middle school. The sketches are very accurate - I'm 80% the van was a Dodge, 20% a Chevy and I'm sure it was not a Ford as my dad had one and this was not the body style. The rear round bubble, the blue body, the red skier, the mountains, all spot on. The van might have had a ladder and spare in the back, but I'm not positive. I also think it had cheap custom wheels which were chrome, but faded & pitting. I remember the van being in fair shape: unwashed with a bit of rust, but I can not recall any dings or dents.

I attended middle school from 1984 through 1987. The last school year (86-87) I would wait for the bus in front of my house; I used to wait a few houses down as another student and myself would board the bus together instead of the bus making two stops a few houses away. Since I remember seeing the van from in front of my house, it would have to be in this time frame as I waited alone.

While I waited in the morning, I most always saw the van travel west on Green Avenue in Poydras, LA 70085 and turn north onto LA 46 (East St. Bernard Highway) - which I presume was traveling to work being the time was consistent.

This information places the vehicle originating from one of the following streets, all in Poydras, LA 70085: Green Avenue, West Christie Street, East Christie Street, Goldfinch Drive, Kingbird Blvd, Starling Drive, Bobolink Drive, Flamingo Drive, Kingbird Drive, Kingfisher Drive, Meadowlark Drive, Redbird Drive, Bobwhite Drive, Egret Drive, Warbler Drive, Kinglet Drive.

It would take some serious digging, but if the vehicle were registered properly in 1986-87 and were traced to these streets, you would have the information of the owner or could at least narrow it down to a few people.

That is about all I can recall at this time. If anyone has any questions I'll monitor this thread for awhile.

When I submitted a tip about the owner of the skiier van that lived a few blocks away from me growing up, I believe I contacted NamUs. They took all my information. Maybe contact them.

I grew up not far from where she was abducted and this case has always stuck in my mind.
Did anybody see the most recent postings on the Butler, PA blog? An Anon poster "names" the two killers. A couple - and the reason is chilling.

http://clcing.blogspot.com/2007/02/cherrie-ann-mahan.html

What do we make of this? Should we report it to authorities??

Maybe bring it to their attention, just in case. But this sounds like a personal vendetta against the couple named. I'll want some proof before I take it seriously.

I grew up not far from where she was abducted and this case has always stuck in my mind.
Did anybody see the most recent postings on the Butler, PA blog? An Anon poster "names" the two killers. A couple - and the reason is chilling.

http://clcing.blogspot.com/2007/02/cherrie-ann-mahan.html

What do we make of this? Should we report it to authorities??

I was thinking of Cherrie this evening and decided to check out her forum on here.....

I just read what you have just posted above. Did you happen to report this to authorities? I can't believe someone post names of people... wonder if they have ever been looked at?

Bumping for Cherrie... She is who got me involved in bringing home the missing and the unidentified.

Cherrie's missing person poster was in an ad today in our newspaper.. She has been missing for over 27 years. It seems like yesterday that I was a 9 year old little girl watching the news with her picture plastered all over it.

mahan_large.jpg

Bumping... I am hoping that 2013 will be the year that Cherrie is found!!

I just came across this case and have a few questions..

-was she ever abused?

-are there any other photos of her besides the blue dress?

-Why did the woman in Michigan refuse a DNA test?

- were any of the neighbors investigated?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back