Identified! PA - Chester Co., WhtMale 1280UMPA, 20-30, Nov'68 - Robert Corriveau

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On Saturday, 13 October 2012, Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau, United States Marine Corps was buried with full military honors in his home town of Lawrence, Massachusetts.

His Marine Corps Record has been corrected to indicate his Honorable and Heroic Service to his Country.

Semper Fi.

I can't find anything that links Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau to Betsy Aardsma apart from the way that they were killed and the timeframe. Given that there is nothing else on this cold case, I thought it best at least to comment on their strange one stab to the heart murders just one year apart in the same state.

I can't find anything that links Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau to Betsy Aardsma apart from the way that they were killed and the timeframe. Given that there is nothing else on this cold case, I thought it best at least to comment on their strange one stab to the heart murders just one year apart in the same state.

It is interesting that you mention the possibility of a connection between these two cases. I know of both, but do not know of any connection between the two either - other than the odd coincidences you mention.

Both cases remain open and unsolved.

Here is a possible suspect in the Aardsma case:

--------------------------------
Richard Charles Haefner (deceased)

A 25 year old Geology student at Penn State University in 1969.
Haefner is considered a potential suspect/ Person of Interest in the murder of Graduate Student Betsy Aardsma.

Investigators consider him a person of interest in the Ardsma case due to his strange behavior before and after her murder, his later history of violence towards women, and a history of Pedophilia.

He had an explosive temper which led him into conflicts with police and others on numerous occasions.

Haefner was a resident of Lancaster, PA, which is only about 25 to 30 miles west of where Corporal Robert Corriveau's body was found.

Lancaster, PA is also not far from Maryland where two young girls disappeared in 1975. Three young girls disappeared from places in Pennsylvania which were not far from Lancaster.

On August 15, 1975, Haefner was arrested by Lancaster police and charged with corruption of minors and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. The alleged victim was a 12-year-old boy who claimed that Haefner, who employed him and other youths in a small family business, had engaged in sexual contacts in a garage which was part of the business premises. Haefner denied the charges and over the course of several years, was exonerated of all wrongdoing via multiple mistrials.

In 1994, he again appeared before a judge for aggravated assault of a police officer and disorderly conduct. He was also charged with tampering with a witness and criminal mischief—puncturing the tire of a 1989 Pontiac. The tool he used was a sharpened screwdriver.

Haefner died 19 March 2002 in Las Vegas, Nevada of a heart attack.

The investigation into the death of Corporal Corriveau continues. It is considered open and active. Now that the victim is a known person, there is much more to go on than any time in the past 44 years.

Corporal Corriveau was a patient at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital. He arrived there in October 1968 and had earned privileges allowing him to go outside the hospital on liberty. It is believed that he logged out on liberty some time the evening of Friday the 15th of November 1968 and he failed to return to the hospital by 0750 (7:50 AM) on Monday morning, 18 November 1968.

His failure to make morning muster resulted in him being declared UA (AWOL) which means Unauthorized Absense (Absent without official leave).

Within three hours, his body was discovered near the Downingtown exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike by a PA State Trooper. There was no identification on him and he was taken to a morgue and designated a "John Doe". His body was buried in a pauper's grave and he remained unidentified for the next 44 years until 2012.

Meanwhile, after 30 days had passed, and Corporal Corriveau failed to return to his place of duty (the Naval Hospital), he was officially declared a deserter as of 18 November 1968. His record has since been corrected.

The questions remain as to how he was killed, when, where, why, and by whom.

The investigation into the death of Corporal Corriveau continues. It is considered open and active. Now that the victim is a known person, there is much more to go on than any time in the past 44 years.

Corporal Corriveau was a patient at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital. He arrived there in October 1968 and had earned privileges allowing him to go outside the hospital on liberty. It is believed that he logged out on liberty some time the evening of Friday the 15th of November 1968 and he failed to return to the hospital by 0750 (7:50 AM) on Monday morning, 18 November 1968.

His failure to make morning muster resulted in him being declared UA (AWOL) which means Unauthorized Absense (Absent without official leave).

Within three hours, his body was discovered near the Downingtown exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike by a PA State Trooper. There was no identification on him and he was taken to a morgue and designated a "John Doe". His body was buried in a pauper's grave and he remained unidentified for the next 44 years until 2012.

Meanwhile, after 30 days had passed, and Corporal Corriveau failed to return to his place of duty (the Naval Hospital), he was officially declared a deserter as of 18 November 1968. His record has since been corrected.

The questions remain as to how he was killed, when, where, why, and by whom.

To think that he survived the war only to be killed here on American soil. Very sad. Hope his killer is caught or something has happened to him as in "eye for an eye"

Yes, it is a sad thing that he died so violently after surviving his tour of VietNam. He was wounded there three times and it was the third (and most serious) wounding that caused him to be medevaced back to the states. Besides his physical wounds, he also suffered from what is today referred to as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

There were other cases of soldiers, sailors, and Marines returning from VietNam only to die in various ways. Always a tragic thing. But what makes Corporal Corriveau's case especially tragic is that after his murder, he remained unidentified for 44 years and he was branded a Deserter on top of it.

His record has since been corrected, and he received proper military honors at his funeral. But his murder remains unsolved.

Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau's grave has now been marked with a bronze Veteran's marker, containing the following information:

CORRIVEAU, ROBERT DANIEL
CPL US MARINE CORPS
VIETNAM
PURPLE HEART
DATE OF BIRTH: 12/01/1947
DATE OF DEATH: 11/18/1968

BURIED AT:

ST MARY IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CEMETERY
29 BARKER STREET
LAWRENCE, MA 01841

LINK:

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/index.html

So glad to see this. Looks like retired marines are trying to take over the investigation. This is definitely something his mom can be thankful for tomorrow and every day.

"Now a group of retired and active service members have teamed up to solve the riddle of Cpl Corriveau’s murder and find his killer.

Honor-bound by the soldier’s solemn creed to ‘never leave a fallen comrade’, the band of brothers are picking up where authorities have failed for decades. "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...u-wrongly-branded-deserter.html#ixzz2lszbbcAI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...obert-Corriveau-wrongly-branded-deserter.html

New article today
West may be at peace now that her son lies in a family plot in Lawrence, but her daughter wants police to find his killer.

"I would absolutely want someone caught and punished," said Cleary, who thinks the suspect could still be alive.

Military paperwork suggests Corriveau had weekend leave starting Nov. 15, she said. So was he killed inside the massive hospital? In a barroom brawl? While hitchhiking?

State police have never released the toxicology report that might show if he had been out drinking. His body showed no sign of a struggle, though Foley said the former boxer had a short fuse and wouldn't have gone down without a fight.

State police hope to find former employees or patients who may have known Corriveau at the hospital but have so far had little luck. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service and retired detectives like Kelly are also trying to drum up leads.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...40bba79e927f2d268cb9.html#G2uqZZMMWXpL5mbm.99

Although this case has been filed under the "identified" cases, It is very much an open and on-going case.

Investigators have uncovered quite a few leads in the past year.

Rosters of all Navy and Marine Corps Personnel stationed at the Naval Hospital Philadelphia in 1968 have been located and reviewed. Doctors, Nurses, Hospital Corpsmen, Marine Officers and Enlisted have been located and interviewed.

A wealth of information has come out regarding Corporal Corriveau, his time in Philadelphia Naval Hospital, and his last days.

Not all the answers have been discovered yet, but the questions are being asked over and over again. His murder may yet be solved.

The following is part of a special memorial page. There are a number of photos included at the link below.

----------------------------
Corp Robert Daniel Corriveau

Birth: Dec. 1, 1947
Lawrence
Essex County
Massachusetts, USA
Death: Nov. 18, 1968
Downingtown
Chester County
Pennsylvania, USA

Biography at

Pennsylvania Missing persons

Enlisted in the USMC April 1, 1965

Wounded in Vietnam-disappeared from Philadelphia Hospital the same day found deceased as a "John Doe" in Chester Co PA.

Buried as a "John Doe" in Quaker Cemetery, Kennett Square, Chester County Pennsylvania

He was identifed in May 2012

2012 Obituary
An obituary notice also appears in the November 2012 issue of "Leatherneck" Magazine

Burial:
Immaculate Conception Cemetery
Lawrence
Essex County
Massachusetts, USA

Corp Robert Daniel Corriveau (1947 - 1968) - Find A Grave Memorial

LINK:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50591788

He was stabbed in the heart once. There are not that many cases similar to this one. Betsy Aardsma is one. The other is a young grocer (male) who was working at the time. All three in the same part of the US. I think they might all three be related.

moo

He was stabbed in the heart once. There are not that many cases similar to this one. Betsy Aardsma is one. The other is a young grocer (male) who was working at the time. All three in the same part of the US. I think they might all three be related.

moo

Am familiar with the November 1969 case of Betsy Aardsma who was murdered in the Penn State Library. That case is possibly related.

What information do you have about the murder of the Grocer?

Am familiar with the November 1969 case of Betsy Aardsma who was murdered in the Penn State Library. That case is possibly related.

What information do you have about the murder of the Grocer?

I don't have any information about the Grocer other than what I found that what reported in the media. It was a very strange attack and I researched similar cases of single stabbing to the heart because I was searching for information on Aardsma. Why do you ask? Do you have some information that might be of interest to either case?

ETA - I think I posted the article about the Grocer earlier up on this same thread...

I don't have any information about the Grocer other than what I found that what reported in the media. It was a very strange attack and I researched similar cases of single stabbing to the heart because I was searching for information on Aardsma. Why do you ask? Do you have some information that might be of interest to either case?

ETA - I think I posted the article about the Grocer earlier up on this same thread...

When and where was the grocer murdered? I could not find an earlier thread or post on him.

It is my opinion, but I have felt that a prime suspect in the Betsy Aardsma murder, one Richard Haefner, of Lancaster, PA could also be a potential suspect in the murder of Corporal Corriveau. Haefner was known to carry a sharpened screwdriver with him at all times over a long period of time. He threatened someone with it, and another time, he punctured someone's tires with it. Haefner was a violent person with an explosive temper.

A lot has been written about Betsey Aardsma and about Corporal Corriveau, but I have seen very little about the Grocer you mention. I agree with you that the cause of death in all these cases makes the possibility of a connection rather strong.

It has been almost 46 years since the murder of Corporal Corriveau. Although he was finally identified and laid to rest after 44 years, His murder is still an open and unsolved case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back