Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(modsnip)

I have walked over the Clemente Bridge and through Katz Plaza many times and there is no easy way to be pushed in the water. You have to make a point to be down there and have to walk a bit to get down there. In the surveillance footage he appeared to have a good stride and on a path to i assume home. I am not a guy, but even if I had to urinate or something I would not go down to the river to do so at midnight. I don't know why he would have been close to the water to be thrown in. Was he knocked out, mugged and dragged and thrown in? If so that's scary. It just doesn't make sense.

It was reported that DJ was "given water" and that he "ate someone else's pizza". I'm guessing that last item was a last straw action that prompted the bartender (or whomever) to ask him to leave the premises.

QUESTIONS and SPECULATION follows:

What I am going for here is DJ's demeanor and behavior that evening and was it typical or 'expected' behavior.

• Was there a difference in DJ's demeanor / attitude that evening? Other evenings? Only recently? No difference?
  • Why was DJ given water? Could he not afford another drink? Was it the bartender did not want to serve DJ another drink? Was it an attempt to 'sober' DJ (we all know water does no such a thing, I'd expect the bartender to know)?
  • Why did DJ (allegedly) take / eat someone else's pizza? Joking around? Belligerence? Couldn't afford to pay? Was it offered to him and mistaken for that he 'took' it without permission?
  • Was that typical or unusual behavior for DJ?
  • I'm wondering if DJ's behavior that evening or an accumulation over many evenings or daily was different from typical and if it was an indication of something was troubling or otherwise affecting him?

Why / how would DJ end up in the river (if that is what occurred)? To enter the river, one would have to do so either accidentally, by force or, purposefully. Each of these possibilities present with their own dynamic:

• "Accidentally" is a difficult concept: DJ would have to have had placed himself in a precarious position by the river's edge. If DJ had to relieve himself why would he choose to do so at the river's edge? That's an open area, along a trail viewable from both sides of the river. If absolutely no one was around, then maybe. But was DJ the type? I would not expect for DJ to attempt relief while walking through the Scott Place 'alley', too easy for an around-the-corner surprise to appear.
  • A "by force" possibility might lend itself to getting noticed (scream, fight) unless DJ was rendered incapacitated. Unless it was by the river's edge this would entail time and effort (dragging / carrying) that I would not expect a perp would want to deal with. And what motive? Robbery? Revenge? Other?
  • The last possibility, according to family, would not make sense because, to simplify: 'he has to much to live for', 'he has plans', 'everybody loves him', 'he is not the type', etc. There is not much that need be commented on this; we all know how such a thing turns out: "we never expected", "we didn't know he had problems", "why didn't he tell someone", etc.
  • Are any of these possibilities as likely as the other? I'm leaning toward one being a most-likely possibility but without ever having known DJ I can not lean 100% in that direction... but I believe it is a most-likely.

Not in line with the above speculations but equally relevant:

• Why did DJ and the co-worker not share an Uber ride? Is that possible with Uber?
  • Did DJ skip Uber because he thought he'd make the T schedule?
  • How often did DJ walk from downtown to his apartment?
  • Did DJ typically go elsewhere before going to home at the end of a party evening or other evenings?
  • Did DJ know anyone who lived downtown?
  • Would DJ stop at a friend's place to 'sleep off' a rough evening or was DJ's apt too close for DJ to want to do that?
  • When and where did DJ's cell phone indicate a power-off or no power event?

Bottom line: one of the possibilities listed above would make everything else moot. The other possibilities would make for a long and arduous investigation that might never be solved.

Which are you leaning to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me of the Paul Kochu case, left a bar without friends by the river, young nurse.....................

Local here. I've been following this story since the end of the first week of DJ going missing.

Here are some thoughts.

I searched the north side area, climbed into the overpass area another poster mentioned, walked two bridges and between them along the river, walked along the river edges, and searched the heritage trail.

In addition to what other people have posted, while walking the paths from town to the north side, I was struck by how many construction projects there are. I don't know if anyone has explored these areas in-depth. I didn't.

I've been following the poor mother's impassioned pleas for LE to release more info. Last weekend, the family obtained power of attorney so that they can access DJ's records--specifically his mobile's records.

There was a sizable party out yesterday searching further downstream, in Sewickley.

I could be wrong, but I don't think statements about the co-workers who spent time with DJ have been released publicly. I'm wondering what the co-worker who I think he put into an Uber might have to say. Would LE protect that info for some reason?

On the two FB pages and in comments in media articles, many readers are convinced that something more sinister is going on...a pattern of people who fit DJ's profile who have gone missing.

I think the family feels that the officials' efforts have been lacking. In a comment on an article, a family member said that LE members insinuated that they believe DJ didn't make it to or fully across a bridge and might feel as though he committed suicide. No info was released about why they feel that way.

When a person first goes missing, what info can LE access right away? Can they search the apartment? What about a person's medical records? How does LE get cell phone records? Perhaps LE pieced a plausible story together but for privacy reasons couldn't share what they learned with the family. I just don't know how the legalities work wrt privacy in situations like this one.

I went for my run today along the river on the North Side, over the Clemente Bridge and over to Katz Plaza. Such a beautiful day. I can't imagine how he could accidentally end up in the river. My boyfriend was with me. He is 6'5", and the bridge rail falls a few inches below his shoulder. To get to the water's edge, one must deliberately hang a left and double back down several stairs and walk to the edge. This has to be some sort of foul play. I know I'm repeating what many have already posted, but walking his alleged path gives one a whole new insight. The river is quite clear and not murky at all today. I hope someone finds a clue soon. My little sojourn today was in Dakota's honor. Prayed and meditated for answers and strength for his family to find their beautiful boy.

I agree that ending up in the river makes no sense but we've seen it end up this way before in Pittsburgh. LE either has evidence he is potentially in the river or is acting on above stated precedent. I think it is entirely possible and shouldn't be dismissed that he got in a car. If his last known whereabouts in town are unknown this needs explored. The Grindr stuff is totally creepy. I've read up some Reddit encounters to get a sense of just how creepy. Latest article from WPXI seems to have backed off the sighting along Fort Duquesne Blvd and is back to the Cultural District.

On the psychic, she took down her post and the screenshot is off of the DJ search party page. I think posting something so personal was classless and she does have publicity to gain with a stunt like this. Someone obviously passed along the message that this wasn't appreciated. She stated she doesn't accept money from these cases but she sure does for private readings and parties. I for one hope she is utterly wrong.

I really hope they access his phone records soon if not already. He was obviously on his phone in the surveillance photo and it would be nice to know what he was doing. I was also reading about Grindr and it's scary as hell. I hope they cough up their info soon. He had been drinking and maybe had met someone on there and decided to meet up. Not sure how thoroughly the North Side has been checked but besides the construction sites the parking garage at Allegheny Center is cavernous and also being worked on. I parked there once a couple months ago and it took me forever to find my way out to pay. The place is a maze and huge.

I know this has had to be answered, but did he have a roommate or did he live alone?

I never read anything about a roommate.
I was reading back through this thread and Mandy James (sister?) Commented on a FB post that "someone does know something" , she spoke to the sister of someone on the street, but this girl won't come forward. It makes no sense. She just spoke to the girl on the street and doesn't know her name or anything. The girl could be lying.

The least Grindr can do is confirm yes or no if he was utilizing the app. They can easily say he wasn't on our app, sorry, buzz off. My guess is, the fact that they're not providing at least that little bit of info to our knowledge, it is definitely plausible. They have a lot to lose if it comes out he was on the app. Combine the photo of him using 2 hands on the phone and a potentially wandering path, as no one can confirm the timing of sightings and the questions about the clocks on the cameras.

C'mon can't someone look at clock A, clock B, a watch with accurate time, and subtract to report accurate info? This family has every right to be pissed.

As far as Allegheny Center Garage, yes huge! I remember sitting in Steelers traffic from the bottom up as a kid breathing in fumes back in 3 rivers days. There are probably a number of cameras between Katz and there though but who knows, anything is possible. Did you look to see if there were cameras that would have caught him by Nova's entrance? Children's museum is also nearby with a city lot that may have a camera.

I haven't been back to Allegheny Center to park and was there before he became missing. There are a lot of cameras between Katz and his apt, esp around PNC. I don't understand how he hasn't been caught on any of those? I can't imagine that many people were out at around midnight on a Wednesday. They also seem to be focusing on the river so maybe they do know he didn't cross the bridge?
Some of what the psychic said was that he was attacked from behind and in the water. She also mentioned personal family stuff, like a dead aunt and a miscarriage, which I felt were inappropriate to share with the public. She also said they need a boat to find him.

I agree with other posters about the Uber question. Why not grab an Uber? It would have been around 6 bucks. At that hour and having to work the next morning, it just seems odd that he would bother trying to catch the T, let alone hoofing it home if he missed it.

I have to wonder about human trafficking, it is a real problem in Pittsburgh. I work in a hospital where we have saved 64 people from human trafficking last year. I went to a very informative presentation on this subject. I had no idea this goes on in our country let alone in Pittsburgh but it does and it is not only young girls that are forced into this either by addiction or violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member