Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to consider is that law enforcement may be holding some information closer to them for fear of having it released and broadcast across social media. Some family members are very active online and may inadvertently release information that the police do not want them to...even trivially seeming details might compromise their efforts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100%

It would be nice to know if DJ walked across the Sixth Street Bridge; surveillance cameras are located at both ends of the bridge.

I do not believe LE withholding video surveillance recordings is a matter of maintaining integrity of this case.

LE likely has recordings from bridge cameras (a report indicated LE received video from Port Authority) but DHS and / or local LE / Port Authority rules indicate the public should not be made aware of locations of cameras and, assuming, their fields of view, due to "national security" concerns. Their concerns? If bad folk know locations of the cameras and their fields of view they will avoid doing bad things in those areas. Well, holy carp, isn't that part of the idea of installing cameras?

:gaah:

What's the point of installing cameras if LE is not permitted (or refuses) to release video to family or P.I.s involved with a case? If this point is inaccurate, then I stand corrected but given what I've read regarding the 'boondoggle of the surveillance cameras in Pittsburgh' and the security politics surrounding the topic I believe I'm close with my 'assumptions'.

Two simple questions to which I believe LE knows the answers:

* Did DJ walk across the Sixth Street Bridge and enter in to North Side proper?

* Did DJ walk down a stairway at either end of the Sixth Street Bridge that leads to the Three Rivers Heritage Trail?

Maybe we already 'know' an answer, given that LE has been searching the river and its banks for weeks.

* What does LE know?

* Why is it a secret?

...w t f.

Apparently, another Pittsburgh (Homestead) man had gone missing January 18, 2017, one week before DJ. The only information I found is on the PGHLesbian web site and on a FB account linked in the article:

http://www.pghlesbian.com/2017/02/m...a-james-second-man-david-carter-also-missing/

...[FONT=&amp]another local man missing since January 18, 2017. His name is David Carter. He was last seen at the Homestead Grays Bridge around 4:30 PM and it is feared that he attempted to jump off that bridge. If you have information, please call 412-256-8507 or reach out to [/FONT]David’s family on Facebook[FONT=&amp]. David is not, to my knowledge, part of the LGBTQ community, but he is a neighbor and needs our help.[/FONT]

The phone number listed in the article is the office of "The Lord's Tabernacle P.H.C.O.C." (Pentecostal Holiness Church of Christ). Beware of their website site: you will be blasted with music, I couldn't find a feature that turns it off.

A response (from mother) on a family member's (sister's) SM account indicates, paraphrased: 'he hasn't been found yet', as of Feb 21.

It seems everything is slowing down on finding Dakota...Even the posts on him are fading. His mother is doing her best to keep his memory up front and in the eyes of people in Pittsburgh and local media... There actually is a new shift in searching for the murderer for those two little girls lately who were hiking...Abigail Williams and Liberty German are all over social media now.

I don't want to give up on him...his family needs closure. One way or another to bring them peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, another Pittsburgh (Homestead) man had gone missing January 18, 2017, one week before DJ. The only information I found is on the PGHLesbian web site and on a FB account linked in the article:

http://www.pghlesbian.com/2017/02/m...a-james-second-man-david-carter-also-missing/

The phone number listed in the article is the office of "The Lord's Tabernacle P.H.C.O.C." (Pentecostal Holiness Church of Christ). Beware of their website site: you will be blasted with music, I couldn't find a feature that turns it off.

A response (from mother) on a family member's (sister's) SM account indicates, paraphrased: 'he hasn't been found yet', as of Feb 21.
I thought the family indicated that that was possibly a suicide because he left a note that referred to the Homestead High Level Bridge. Am I wrong about that?

I do not mean to trivialize what that family is going through. Not at all. I just want to try to get a sense of the scope of how many people are actually missing under suspicious or unexplained circumstances. If you believe what you read on social media threads and comments, you would think that dozens of people have gone missing.

It seems everything is slowing down on finding Dakota...Even the posts on him are fading. His mother is doing her best to keep his memory up front and in the eyes of people in Pittsburgh and local media... There actually is a new shift in searching for the murderer for those two little girls lately who were hiking...Abigail Williams and Liberty German are all over social media now.

I don't want to give up on him...his family needs closure. One way or another to bring them peace.

Same here. But it's hard to continue searches or consider expanding efforts without more information. As the poster above said, publicly releasing what is known about the 6th Street Bridge would be useful. If there's reason to believe that Dakota was at the water's edge that night after he was seen in Katz Plaza would help locals feel more confident conducting or repeating river-related searches.

I also think the move away from coordinating efforts on the DJ FB page made it harder for us to find info about searches. The national group the family started using has a clunky web presence that makes it hard to find info about specific cases.

bbm

I thought the family indicated that that was possibly a suicide because he left a note that referred to the Homestead High Level Bridge. Am I wrong about that?

I do not mean to trivialize what that family is going through. Not at all. I just want to try to get a sense of the scope of how many people are actually missing under suspicious or unexplained circumstances. If you believe what you read on social media threads and comments, you would think that dozens of people have gone missing. ....

Yes, DC's sister commented he ~'may have intended to jump off the bridge' but I am not aware of any reference to a note. Do you have a source?

I would not assume a missing person case is not "suspicious or unexplained" simply because a note was found. There always is the "why" and what could we learn to address circumstances to avoid tragic conclusions.

What concerns me in the case of DC: why no media attention? I found no articles referencing "David Carter". Would the family not want to locate his body if he did, indeed, jump from a bridge? Did the family contact LE? Did they search the Monongahela River (the Homestead Grays Bridge crosses the Mon)?

Sorry... this is topic should be in its own thread.

One last point: given a broad enough time frame (read: 'years') it could add up to close to "dozens" of missing. The "why" and "how" is what we need to know to properly categorize cases.

bbm

Yes, DC's sister commented he ~'may have intended to jump off the bridge' but I am not aware of any reference to a note. Do you have a source?

I would not assume a missing person case is not "suspicious or unexplained" simply because a note was found. There always is the "why" and what could we learn to address circumstances to avoid tragic conclusions.

What concerns me in the case of DC: why no media attention? I found no articles referencing "David Carter". Would the family not want to locate his body if he did, indeed, jump from a bridge? Did the family contact LE? Did they search the Monongahela River (the Homestead Grays Bridge crosses the Mon)?

Sorry... this is a topic should be in its own thread.

One last point: given a broad enough time frame (read: 'years') it could add up to close to "dozens" of missing. The "why" and "how" is what we need to know to properly categorize cases.
Oh good points! I'll look for what led me to believe that there was a note. I'll do that now and will follow up here.

I agree about the number of articles. I have seen very little about him and assumed it was because it was an assumed suicide. I also don't follow the local news too carefully. It could be that they have been reporting about him locally and I missed it.

bbm

Same here. But it's hard to continue searches or consider expanding efforts without more information. As the poster above said, publicly releasing what is known about the 6th Street Bridge would be useful. If there's reason to believe that Dakota was at the water's edge that night after he was seen in Katz Plaza would help locals feel more confident conducting or repeating river-related searches.

I also think the move away from coordinating efforts on the DJ FB page made it harder for us to find info about searches. The national group the family started using has a clunky web presence that makes it hard to find info about specific cases.

Given that it's 2017, when examples of good web UI design are nearly a-dime-a-dozen, the 'clunkiness' of that website is surprising, but that's what you get with volunteer initiatives and no member identifies as an experienced or at least knowledgeable UI designer. Certain elements of their design makes me hesitant to frequent or even to reference the site.

Web UI design is not easy, to be sure, but that site's UI seems to be almost purposefully gauche, more to fulfill someone's 'taste' than to serve up information with the seriousness in which it deserves.

Oh good points! I'll look for what led me to believe that there was a note. I'll do that now and will follow up here.

I agree about the number of articles. I have seen very little about him and assumed it was because it was an assumed suicide. I also don't follow the local news too carefully. It could be that they have been reporting about him locally and I missed it.

It's hard to find anything about DC! Wow. I'm certain that I saw something on threads as I was reading about Dakota. What complicates that is there have been so many articles with hundreds of comments on them. It's in those comments that I read about that missing man and the homestead high-level bridge.

Well...

This recent alert from "News and Alerts in Western PA" FB page:

Body found floating in the water Waterfront area in West Homestead

This is likely DC, *not* DJ.

It's hard to find anything about DC! Wow. I'm certain that I saw something on threads as I was reading about Dakota. What complicates that is there have been so many articles with hundreds of comments on them. It's in those comments that I read about that missing man and the homestead high-level bridge.

I can't find a reference to a note in anything that I've been able to find online. I might have been confusing that with something somebody said on a comment about all these other cases that people perceive to be related. I apologize sincerely if I mis-remembered something like that.

I looked at the other FB page and I agree with you. It seems like the two pages were arguing with each other...Not a good thing.

Well...

This recent alert from "News and Alerts in Western PA" FB page:

This is likely DC, *not* DJ.
The Waterfront area is right under the Homestead High-Level Bridge. So, so sad.

It was in the upper 70s here yesterday and unseasonably warm all week. Perhaps that was a factor with this body surfacing.

My heart goes out to those poor families.

I can't find a reference to a note in anything that I've been able to find online. I might have been confusing that with something somebody said on a comment about all these other cases that people perceive to be related. I apologize sincerely if I mis-remembered something like that.

If it was most likely a suicide, the local news stations don't report much on them

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Southeastish. Most likely not DJ, unless he was kidnapped and taken elsewhere.\

Probably Carter but this does show you that what I posted is true that it takes a long time to come up when the water is cold. I feel very bad for families. We couldn't find my sister at first. Then they did but in my heart I knew she was gone..She was taken from where she worked and the blood trail started there. But it was a matter of two days...This long would be so hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member