Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pgh Police are holding a news conference at 3:30 today, providing updates on the case.

I'm not sure if that's a vehicle. If you look at Google street view, there are shrubs on the border of the park separating it from the sidewalk. If you look to the left, you can see the end of a similar shape. Both of those appear to be in line with trees that are also there. Good eye though!

It's in the street. It's a vehicle.

attachment.php

The comments from quite a few pages back really got me thinking - why WOULD Dakota choose a route that takes him down a poorly lit alley to get to Ft. Duquesne Boulevard rather than continue straight on 7th Street? It's really not saving him any time and even though he certainly doesn't look nervous in the still photo, it doesn't seem like a street you would deliberately go down when a much brighter, more populated street is available.

I would guess that he was texting or messaging someone in a car who had pulled over off of 7th Street and waited for awhile.

attachment.php

Based on the Google Streetview, this would be a very convenient place to sit in your car and wait for someone.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 225
  • Unti22tled.jpg
    Unti22tled.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 219
You're sort of correct and I think you're referencing one of my posts. The second image you included actually shows 3 streets. It's vantage is taken from 7th, Scott Place is where the entrance to the parking garage is, and that pass through goes to Barkers Place. If you go on Google Streetview, you can go through there. There are lights, so it's probably bright at night. It's possible for someone to be driving down Ft. Duquesne Blvd., turn down Barkers, and sit in the pass through waiting. Then continue driving to turn onto 7th.

It's also important to point out that there is a security camera right below the P in parking (above the attendant booth), which should have recorded DJ. Inside that pass through (on the right in the photo) is a door, which I believe leads to both an entrance into the parking garage and the Encore on 7th apartment building (you can see the short sky bridge that is connected to the apartment building, spanning across Scott Place). I didn't see any other cameras on Scott Place until you get onto Ft. Duquesne Blvd.

attachment.php

The comments from quite a few pages back really got me thinking - why WOULD Dakota choose a route that takes him down a poorly lit alley to get to Ft. Duquesne Boulevard rather than continue straight on 7th Street? It's really not saving him any time and even though he certainly doesn't look nervous in the still photo, it doesn't seem like a street you would deliberately go down when a much brighter, more populated street is available.

I would guess that he was texting or messaging someone in a car who had pulled over off of 7th Street and waited for awhile.

attachment.php

Based on the Google Streetview, this would be a very convenient place to sit in your car and wait for someone.

You can see the door to the garage/apartment building here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 167
Live press conference @ 3:30 p.m. EST:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/wtae4/videos/10155283153723643/[/video]

The main information to come out of the press conference is the last place DJ is seen (on video) is on Scott Place walking in the direction of Fort Duquesne Blvd but LE has no indication if DJ turned left or right on to FDB.

IMO, if DJ did not end up in the river, the next most likely scenario is DJ ended up in someone's vehicle because he is not seen on any of the "dozens" of other videos obtained and reviewed by LE.

Pittsburgh Police just held a lengthy press conference in which they outlined in detail the timeline of this case to date.

They revealed more details than what we knew previously, including that Dakota had texted his father close to the time when he was last seen in Katz Plaza.

The long list of timeline items probably took about 10 minutes for them to read.

I will post a link here as soon as I find it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I do remember seeing a statement where they did correct the color jacket to olive green, not the blue as originally stated.

"Olive green" was the original color reported. It was later 'corrected' as being "blue". WTAE (still) is reporting the jacket color as "olive green".

what the heck

Thanks. You are correct. I was going off the mom's post but when I checked timestamps (stupidly after I posted on here) I realized the report of blue came after the green. I wanted to delete my comment once I caught my own error, but I still can't figure out how to do that. I can only figure out how to edit.
"Olive green" was the original color reported. It was later 'corrected' as being "blue". WTAE (still) is reporting the jacket color as "olive green".

what the heck

what the heck
I seem to recall that the original color was what co-workers reported initially. Then, after the Katz Plaza video surfaced, they updated the description.

I recall reading on the mother's Facebook page that she was angry about that because that meant that posters they hung around downtown were wrong. When I walked through downtown, I could see labels that the family had affixed over top of the original posters to update the description with the new color of coat.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I am curious what the text message to his dad said. LE said he sent his dad a text around the same time he was around Katz Plaza. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I agree on the likely scenario of DJ ending up in a vehicle since they seem to be unaware of him turning left or right. Does that mean he made it to Fort Duquesne Blvd? Is there video of him actually making it that far (ie: did he get in to a vehicle in the alley on Scott?)... Where is the next available video camera on Ft Duquesne blvd? Not even just around the alley, but down the street to the left and right? This whole thing is just mind boggling.

They mentioned that the "social media app" was contacted and they spoke to several folks whom were in contact with Dakota before disappearing, but they got no evidence. Same with the voice mail. I don't think they said too much on the last ping on a cell phone tower? It wouldn't give an exact location but rather a general one. If there was no bank activity, robbery might not have been a motive.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Press conference video is now available. Don't be discouraged, the first few minutes of the video are of a podium with no one there:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/wtae4/videos/10155283153723643/[/video]

Also, if they are not sure which way he turned, then they should try to look at cars coming out Scott Place. They can only turn right onto FT. Duquesne Blvd I believe because of the median, or left or right out of the 7th Street garage exit

That's a great thought.

Also, if they are not sure which way he turned, then they should try to look at cars coming out Scott Place. They can only turn right onto FT. Duquesne Blvd I believe because of the median, or left or right out of the 7th Street garage exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member