Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...s-posts-emotional-tribute-to-son-on-facebook/

Here we go, investigators, are not going to say one more thing till tox , they probably will want a second tox - ETA - two months moo

O/T Its on in the background on this link but it just keeps playing so I do not know how to link it.

Two men with weapons dressed as clowns threatened a bunch of kids. They were chasing us"
Dad came out saw em running away.

Shotgun and pipe

On the banks of the Mississippi River where it is at its widest point and where the currents are deadly, millions of drunks from all over the world dance, party, stumble and play every year. RARELY does anyone FALL into the river and drown - RARELY.

Pittsburgh has MANY young gay men who are last seen at bars drowning in the river. These aren't accidents, you folks have a serial killer preying on young gay men and you need to address this ASAP.

is this your opinion or do you have a link or anything fact-based AT ALL to back up your statement, "Pittsburgh has MANY young gay men who are last seen at bars drowning in the river."? Anything fact-based at all?

So many on here are saying that DJ was so intoxicated that he and his coworker were refused service...as per the police press conference on 2/27/17.

Let's clear this up once again. It appears the police are incorrect. I've posted this before. Per the post from DJ's mother, Pamela James, the day after the press conference. DJ and coworker were not refused service. She has a receipt from Images on that night at 11:?? (can't remember exactly time. I must go back and look). The receipt clearly proves DJ and the coworker were served at Images. In addition, again per Pamela James, there is surveillance footage from a wine and spirits store showing DJ and coworker walking by. Not stumbling, normal walking gait, etc. He doesn't appear intoxicated to the point of "doing something crazy".

I think there is way more known about this than the police are letting on. It seems the police want to shut it down by calling it an accident and the family knows too much to allow the police to do that.

Disclaimer before someone jumps my case....this is strictly in my humble opinion. I know many here like to defend the police. I do too. LE is awesome and we owe so much to them. But that doesn't make them perfect. If you have been following this many mistakes were made and many inaccuracies reported.
If his mother has a receipt from Images proving her son was served, then I'm going with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think DJ "relieving himself near the river" and falling in is pretty far fetched. Think about it. You're drunk (possibly), you're in public, why would you want to go out of your way just to pee in water with the potential of a public urination? Where cars on the bridges and streets can see you. Where it's actually pretty open? Why not just unzip and pee with your back facing an alley and go against a building where you can't be seen? I also think he met up with someone b/c why not just jump in the same Uber if you are in fact going home? I can't help but wonder if he met up with someone and DJ died unintentionally. Like within their presence and whoever he was with had no idea what to do. Why not just call for help? If you're innocent, why not just call to get this person the help they need?! Unless it was intentional. Just so many unanswered questions that I guarantee we won't get the answers to b/c it will be ruled "accidental." Also, everyone is just presuming DJ was drunk b/c "he was cut off". But did anyone think whoever it was at Images (bartender) just didn't want him there anymore? Did they know each other? Did the bartender know the co-worker? Any weird awkward past with either? Were there any other witnesses at all that I can't remember that could vouch for how wasted DJ was at either bar? Was it only the word of the bartender?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...s-posts-emotional-tribute-to-son-on-facebook/

Here we go, investigators, are not going to say one more thing till tox , they probably will want a second tox - ETA - two months moo

O/T Its on in the background on this link but it just keeps playing so I do not know how to link it.

Two men with weapons dressed as clowns threatened a bunch of kids. They were chasing us"
Dad came out saw em running away.

Shotgun and pipe

Has the coworker made ANY public comment? Anything AT ALL? Was DJ in fact wasted? Was she wasted? Did DJ mention anything from that night that would spark a red flag? Does she remember the night? Is it common that the last person to be seen with the missing person stays silent? I'm sure they feel awful though and probably just want to stay out of the public eye. I just think it's odd that there was no comment. However, this is the first case I actually followed and it could be common. Or possibly the LE have all the info they need from her and kept it from the public for a reason?

Yeah, it's all a bit 'Who knows' at this point! I agree that being intoxicated makes you do things you otherwise wouldn't do - call an ex, dance on a bar, put mustard on your pizza - but going well out of your way to pee in a river...nah. If I had to pee, I'd quick duck into some place to use the restroom, or if a dude - go in the alley, or pick up my pace to get home quicker.
While it is only a still photo and there's only so much that can be told from it, I agree that DJ's mannerisms are strong, confident, straight up in posture and purposeful...does not look like slumped random drunken staggering. Speaking of the photo, that darn photo has circulated so much and the story has gotten so much hype, you'd think anyone that those people would have heard all the buzz by now and would have reached out to say it was them waiting there and that they A. remember seeing someone sloppy drunk walking by (most likely to be something remembered) or B. don't remember anything that stuck out (would be the case if there wasn't anything too out of the ordinary).
As far as being cut off or refused service - I mean, I agree there could be a ton of reasons...including maybe the co-worker was a little too intoxicated...maybe they each had 3 shots of tequila in a short period of time as opposed to a light beer and the bartender knew that was not going to go well if continued. I mean, hey where I'm from if the bars aren't really hopping they'll close down early. I just find it questionable that not a soul remembers any actions of this young man who is being thought of as so drunk he went down to the river to pee and fell in, or anything else that's been speculated. Dude, those people stick out in social and public settings. We've all pointed them out, commented on them, sat around and had those "hey you remember when that drunk guy....." stories....but there's none of that, no one remembers anything? Then I think IMO something is off

I think DJ "relieving himself near the river" and falling in is pretty far fetched. Think about it. You're drunk (possibly), you're in public, why would you want to go out of your way just to pee in water with the potential of a public urination? Where cars on the bridges and streets can see you. Where it's actually pretty open? Why not just unzip and pee with your back facing an alley and go against a building where you can't be seen? I also think he met up with someone b/c why not just jump in the same Uber if you are in fact going home? I can't help but wonder if he met up with someone and DJ died unintentionally. Like within their presence and whoever he was with had no idea what to do. Why not just call for help? If you're innocent, why not just call to get this person the help they need?! Unless it was intentional. Just so many unanswered questions that I guarantee we won't get the answers to b/c it will be ruled "accidental." Also, everyone is just presuming DJ was drunk b/c "he was cut off". But did anyone think whoever it was at Images (bartender) just didn't want him there anymore? Did they know each other? Did the bartender know the co-worker? Any weird awkward past with either? Were there any other witnesses at all that I can't remember that could vouch for how wasted DJ was at either bar? Was it only the word of the bartender?

So many on here are saying that DJ was so intoxicated that he and his coworker were refused service...as per the police press conference on 2/27/17.

Let's clear this up once again. It appears the police are incorrect. I've posted this before. Per the post from DJ's mother, Pamela James, the day after the press conference. DJ and coworker were not refused service. She has a receipt from Images on that night at 11:?? (can't remember exactly time. I must go back and look). The receipt clearly proves DJ and the coworker were served at Images. In addition, again per Pamela James, there is surveillance footage from a wine and spirits store showing DJ and coworker walking by. Not stumbling, normal walking gait, etc. He doesn't appear intoxicated to the point of "doing something crazy".

I think there is way more known about this than the police are letting on. It seems the police want to shut it down by calling it an accident and the family knows too much to allow the police to do that.

Disclaimer before someone jumps my case....this is strictly in my humble opinion. I know many here like to defend the police. I do too. LE is awesome and we owe so much to them. But that doesn't make them perfect. If you have been following this many mistakes were made and many inaccuracies reported.
If his mother has a receipt from Images proving her son was served, then I'm going with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Which then makes there timeline wrong like mom has said . They have the two of them in their for three minutes.

My personal opinion, I think they were doing very little, until mom started . Then had to go back (weeks had passed) and rev up again. Feb 8 (what 14 days later) this was the extent of their of their findings :

Sources have confirmed the following timeline of James' whereabouts on that night:

• Went to a happy hour at Station Square with co-workers from J.B. Hunt.
  • Took the T downtown to Market Square with a co-worker after happy hour.
  • Went to two bars on Liberty Avenue: Images and 941 Saloon.
  • Co-worker leaves 941 Saloon via Uber; James presumably begins walking.

Come on guys compare that to two more weeks later what they did. Who on earth does more and more and more "hypthetical " investiagtion until mom is chatting on FB and press is wildly reporting her post.?

Something is stinking here humm humm opied!

• [*=center]
Compare that to the posted 23 minute presser where all of a sudden , weeks later all this beehive of "investigation"

Both sides have said conflicting things - but cops could be in for a public relations issue if moo if something concrete as far as like date rape drug or something.

All of us here are true crime followers and have learned that the first 48 hours are vital.

I am sorry, I think they just did not really do all that much until a ruckus was started - which IMO is sad

sorry again--- only a drunk gay man mentality just speculating.

But I had just started following this case, and stumbled on the long one and the entire time I was I was watching , I was thinking this is the most bizaire presser.

He was just droning on and on- while watching it I thought this sounds like a pt chart. Every detail.

Then as I learned more (mom had been talking to the media very clearly. Then the mayor involved.)

That was a ah ha moment for me. It seems like they went back and made this wordy timeline to "cover".

As I learned more I watched the long one again. In several instances, there were statements (which was weird to me cause there had been such specificity on other days) it went from at 8:29 AM -- with a sentence "Two other cameras with negative results.

You go from the camera on 12th and fifth was located and viewed at 8:36 Am with negative results - to such specifity .

It just appeared to me they added vague unconfirmable "actions" throughout

But what grabbed me on second veiwing was bla bla bal warrent to Grindr bla bla bla (long time ) the second warrant to Grindr issued.

That really struck me -- my first thought was they never did a warrent on the earlier date. They did it after mom and media.

just speculating here.

It also on first viewing , hit me as passive aggressive stuff - I was confused by the way he was presenting it.

LE enforcemnt is not fond of being challenged. My take Mayor -- get some detailed timeline together go read it to the media so we can shut this down. Speculating. More a feeling sensing person!

IMO, it is kinda helpful in that I knew very little at that point - and for the presser to hit me as so strange in hindsight is interesting - at least IMO smile!

Humm I feel a poll brewing.....................am angry and frustrated.

• [*=center]
    k copied!​

vlcsnap-00024-1486514982.jpg
Surveillance image of Dakota James

I think in fairness we also have to add the amazing- ness of the fact that both Joey and Dakota had been found within a similar time frame --after areas were searched where both of them were found Ugh I do not like this odor.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth.....if I hadn't read it online that DJ was gay, I wouldn't realize he was. I don't think any of these photos scream out the cliché ideal of what most would think a gay man to look like. I apologize if anyone takes that the wrong way, I don't mean anything disrespectful. It's just that we've all seen someone whether in person, in a pic or what have you and have been like "Bingo - that dude's gay". What this has to do with anything - nothing at all really, other than the fact that if anyone is thinking perhaps it could be related to a hate crime or have anything to do with his sexual orientation, perhaps he didn't have any outward tell tale signs, and so therefore unless you knew him (or if you like the hook up app theory) he wouldn't necessarily scream 'target'.

Thinking about how one would go about successfully abducting random, unknown men in their 20s, I imagine that I would prefer them to be intoxicated (so their reflexes may not be as quick, their reasoning slower, and their inhibitions down). I'd scope out a populated place but one that is off the beaten path and where I can easily see where the cameras are. I'd wait with my car nearby, on a not-freezing-cold night, and keep my eyes peeled for someone that I could corner. Maybe I'd have a badge and say I was an undercover cop and I was arresting them for public intoxication and urination. I'd bind their hands and lead them over to my car, just as a cop would, bundle them in, lock the doors, and drive off.

I have absolutely no evidence that this has occurred in any of the cases, but it's something to consider.

If we have the same perp in all similar cases, then sexual preference of the victim is not a factor. I agree. The fact they are 20ish men, alone after dark while intoxicated seems to be the thing this perp desires.
It is almost as if this person or group of persons has figured out some sort of lure that works on intoxicated young men in order to get these guys to walk to the riverbank (if they indeed walked there themselves).
I have often thought of, as an example, how a child predator may lure a kid to danger with the promise of kittens in his car or asking for help finding a lost puppy. But what would entice a 20something male, who is intoxicated, in the cold winter in western PA to want to go there?
The only logical thing I can think of is this person(s) spots the target alone, cries out for help (or something) knowing only the young man will hear because no one else is around and preys on the victim's lack of judgment due to being young & inebriated to lure him near the river.
Just thoughts I've been thinking for some time when it comes to these cases. I've played out the scenario in my mind other ways too. I've wondered if police have ever received calls from young men saying they hear someone yelling for help only to find no one because maybe the perp took off when they notice the guy using their phone instead of coming to help?
These are just my thoughts and nothing more. I'm not happy with how case after case becomes another drunken, accidental drowning and you never hear of anything until the next one happens. Pgh PD won't admit there is the possiblity of a connection/ pattern between cases so I doubt they are doing any kind of outside the box thinking.

Yeah, it's all a bit 'Who knows' at this point! I agree that being intoxicated makes you do things you otherwise wouldn't do - call an ex, dance on a bar, put mustard on your pizza - but going well out of your way to pee in a river...nah. If I had to pee, I'd quick duck into some place to use the restroom, or if a dude - go in the alley, or pick up my pace to get home quicker.
While it is only a still photo and there's only so much that can be told from it, I agree that DJ's mannerisms are strong, confident, straight up in posture and purposeful...does not look like slumped random drunken staggering. Speaking of the photo, that darn photo has circulated so much and the story has gotten so much hype, you'd think anyone that those people would have heard all the buzz by now and would have reached out to say it was them waiting there and that they A. remember seeing someone sloppy drunk walking by (most likely to be something remembered) or B. don't remember anything that stuck out (would be the case if there wasn't anything too out of the ordinary).
As far as being cut off or refused service - I mean, I agree there could be a ton of reasons...including maybe the co-worker was a little too intoxicated...maybe they each had 3 shots of tequila in a short period of time as opposed to a light beer and the bartender knew that was not going to go well if continued. I mean, hey where I'm from if the bars aren't really hopping they'll close down early. I just find it questionable that not a soul remembers any actions of this young man who is being thought of as so drunk he went down to the river to pee and fell in, or anything else that's been speculated. Dude, those people stick out in social and public settings. We've all pointed them out, commented on them, sat around and had those "hey you remember when that drunk guy....." stories....but there's none of that, no one remembers anything? Then I think IMO something is off

Ha! I am respectfully and with a dash of levity (!) inclined to point out that your "examples" are so "creative" ( call an ex, dance on a bar, put mustard on your pizza -)

that they might possibly, maybe, could be, from memories................no judgment here I have comfortably shared that I too can vaguely recall some evenings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst, and most common, upon awakening, and painfully opening your eyes, and instantly thinking what on earth was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a liver transplant to perform you must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO judgment meant at all Calling the X resonated as.....................

Its is funny!!

It also has, chillingly, crossed my mind that the person (s) might have been in the clubs and seem to be targeting , in some cases, guys that have been bounced. Many of these had been bounced...................................

ALL PITTSBURGH---SHAUN WELLER, 32 pulled from the river 10/24/2016 suspicious death, DAVID J CARTER, 26 missing 1/18/2017 found February 25 in the river suspicious death, MATTHEW STUTZMAN, 27, found in the river 11/19/2015, suspicious death. PAUL KOCHUR, 22 missing 12/16/ 2014 found 3/26/2015 suspicious and ALSO a (former) DUQ Grad student from out of town like Dakota James ANDRE GRAY, 34 missing 10/25/2014 found in the river 3/20/2015. ELMER RODGERS, 53 found in river 7/14/2016. JIMMY SLACK, 25, missing 12/6/11, found 1/23/2012. MICHAEL KARPINSKI, 42, 10/15/2008. APRIL 24, 2008 UNIDENTIFIED AND MAY 2016, UNIDENTIFIED

GET SLEUTHING!
Can you imagine how many more there are to be found and researched?

Andre Grey murdered by gunshot then thrown in river
M. Karpinski went missing while fishing in New Kensington body found in river

Thinking about how one would go about successfully abducting random, unknown men in their 20s, I imagine that I would prefer them to be intoxicated (so their reflexes may not be as quick, their reasoning slower, and their inhibitions down). I'd scope out a populated place but one that is off the beaten path and where I can easily see where the cameras are. I'd wait with my car nearby, on a not-freezing-cold night, and keep my eyes peeled for someone that I could corner. Maybe I'd have a badge and say I was an undercover cop and I was arresting them for public intoxication and urination. I'd bind their hands and lead them over to my car, just as a cop would, bundle them in, lock the doors, and drive off.

I have absolutely no evidence that this has occurred in any of the cases, but it's something to consider.

Oh that is scary.............................but explains a lot huh possibly...............

Oh, and for whatever it's worth.....if I hadn't read it online that DJ was gay, I wouldn't realize he was. I don't think any of these photos scream out the cliché ideal of what most would think a gay man to look like. I apologize if anyone takes that the wrong way, I don't mean anything disrespectful. It's just that we've all seen someone whether in person, in a pic or what have you and have been like "Bingo - that dude's gay". What this has to do with anything - nothing at all really, other than the fact that if anyone is thinking perhaps it could be related to a hate crime or have anything to do with his sexual orientation, perhaps he didn't have any outward tell tale signs, and so therefore unless you knew him (or if you like the hook up app theory) he wouldn't necessarily scream 'target'.

What is fascinating about this observation, as a gay man, when we all started finding about how many similar occurrences there were, to me so many of them hit me , (even the straight ones) as guys a homophobic individual would think is gay.

In our world, they are what we call ( we have an entire vocabulary!) Twinks. Daddies older men, bears hairy men, butch
manly ,
top, bottom, versatile , a bit#h, etc etc

Twink is a gay slang term used to describe young men in their late teens to early twenties. Usage of the term varies, but traits attributed to twinks can include attractiveness, having little or no body or facial hair, a slim to average build, or appearing to be younger than their chronological age.....

[FONT=&amp] boyish-looking, young gay man. The stereotypical twink is 18-22[/FONT].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang)

A generalization - but, a lot of older gay men are super attracted a Twink.

Has the coworker made ANY public comment? Anything AT ALL? Was DJ in fact wasted? Was she wasted? Did DJ mention anything from that night that would spark a red flag? Does she remember the night? Is it common that the last person to be seen with the missing person stays silent? I'm sure they feel awful though and probably just want to stay out of the public eye. I just think it's odd that there was no comment. However, this is the first case I actually followed and it could be common. Or possibly the LE have all the info they need from her and kept it from the public for a reason?

Agree

This is the nurse I was talking about - passersby would remember this :

http://www.wpxi.com/news/local/new-video-shows-missing-south-side-man-day-he-disa/139468975

If Le wants to go with the "too drunk" deal why not release more of it in video form -- showing the world how drunk he was confirming he was blasted.

They did not. The pic released IMO shows a man that is doing pretty fine. Buzzed, horney, a sloppy drunk, body language in the pic released does not give you that opinion

Just like Zachery--he had been bounced texted his friends to say he had been

here is a picture of him looking toward the exit door of the bar....waiting for his friends that he just told he had been bounced, pretty oriented to me

Zachary%201-2-11022.jpg

After waiting and nothing here he is walking away , on his phone, it would appear trying to call his friends

What broke my heart on this pic he looks so cold

Zackary%202_1455472712026_1675311_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Google images

i, too, would love to see a timeline. So many people are talking about all these missing persons, but not one has given us any facts to back up the numbers.
When I've asked in other SM sites or news sites, the responses were not convincing. Respondents would sometimes list names of people whose deaths were ruled as suicide or by other causes. When called on it, they then found reasons to discredit the official cause of death.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Based on the little evidence that we have, the strongest scenario is that it was an tragic accident. I believe that the investigation will conclude with that. If the Pittsburgh police had even the slightest inkling that there was foul play involved or someone out there is preying on this population they would make that known. They have no reason to conspire to hide or withhold information from the public. They arent being lazy and simply don't feel like investigating, they've come to this conclusion based on the evidence they have and the due dilligence they've performed.

There is no evidence to suggest this, or any of the other casee, are the result of a serial killer, someone targeting young and/or gay males, a hook up gone wrong, etc. People that believe such have a confirmation bias, the tendency to interpret evidence as confirmation of ones existing beliefs or theories. I'd venture to say that even if there was video of him walking down the steps there would be a handful of people who would contest that it would be impossible for him to fall in the river and there was something else at play.

I think we can deduce, with high confidence, that it wasn't a robbery gone bad. He had his wallet, phone, and money still on him. If he had been texting or on an app trying to meet up with someone intending to harm him common sense would assume the person would have either kept or destroyed DJ's phone, not leave evidence with DJ to be found later. People are fixated on the Grindr angle. I would imagine that Grindr has at least looked at his activity and did not find anything of interest at that time of night. I would hope that if they did find something of interest they would have been more cooperative as it could be a strong lead.

What we know...

He had been drinking for a decent amount of time that evening, to the point he was refused service at one bar. In my experience, getting cut off is a hard thing to do in Pittsburgh. I've have both seen people and have been served myself well past my limit. From what I've read the person he was bar hopping with had also been drinking in excess as they didn't remember much from that later part of the night.

He was last seen walking in the direction of a river that was easily accessible by steps. The area where the sidewalk meets the river has an edge that totally drops off a few feet. It isn't a gradual entry like a beach or other less commercialized parts of the river. You would have to be both strong and aware to pull yourself out should you fall in under ideal conditions. His conditions were not ideal, it was cold, dark, he had been drinking, and he had his shoes, jeans, and a jacket weighing him down.

As far as comparing this to the other recent individuals (PK, Slack), I believe that this has mostly to do with their ages. Males 20-30 are more likely to drink in excess than other demographics. Go to the Southside or the North Shore during games or concerts, the ones stumbling, figthing, etc are males 20-30. The reason why we havent seen this with 40+ year old men is because they 1) arent as likely to live in the city and if so, would not choose to walk home. They dont frequent bars as much as the 20-30 year olds, and the ones that do likely dont drink to inebriation or stay out late. I belive the same holds true with women. If a women was to drink to the point impairment she would be more likely to be taken care of.

The reason why we havent seen this with 40+ year old men is because they 1) arent as likely to live in the city and if so, would not choose to walk home. They dont frequent bars as much as the 20-30 year olds, and the ones that do likely dont drink to inebriation or stay out late.

Perhaps there's an element of survival of the fittest at play here. And also some of them (~40-year olds) might have become private drunks.

Perhaps there's an element of survival of the fittest at play here. And also some of them (~40-year olds) might have become private drunks.

That is funny!!

We will see what has bothered me the most is this "accidental death " nonsense.

Joey having no water in his lungs clearly indicate foul play. They still leave it undetermined.

IMO they need to change it too accidental murder or murder.

It is insulting , when clear forensic stuff says he was thrown in

35 years ago none of this nonsense would have happened

unsolved homicide.

The poster who bought in the zipper was brilliant. No one in four seconds can zip while falling into cold water . Priorities. Zip or remain alive. Options pretty clear.

Even in this case, the poster who wonderfully went out and took pics and videos, in this case the stairwell "thing" its concrete, (as opposed to a slippery ice-laden slope.

After the stun of falling in there is a concrete slab to pull yourself out.

Hypothermia takes minutes for onset. If he hit his head, the no obvious signs of injuries would be apparent.

This instant identifying him makes me think there was not profound decomp - sure a wallet etc - but if there was this profoundly swollen dead body they would have waited for dental ete

The only way IMO for a two hours "identification" translates to physically he was not all that in the river that long.

only mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member