Found Deceased PA - Dana Kristine Smithers, 45, Stroudsburg, 28 May 2022 *found in 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Missing Person

The Stroud Area Regional Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a missing person from Stroudsburg.
On 06/04/2022, Dana Smithers, of Stroudsburg Borough, Pennsylvania was reported missing to the Stroud Area Regional Police. Smithers was last seen on 05/28/2022 at approximately 11:05 PM. A ring video camera verified her leaving the residence of a friend with her cell phone in hand.

Smithers cell phone, wallet and daily medication were found at her residence. Family member reported that Smithers has never stayed away from her young daughter for this length of time.

Dana Smithers is described as a 45-year-old white female, 5 foot 5 inches, approximately 165 pounds, with brown eyes, brown hair and wearing black jeans with a burgundy shirt.

Anyone with information should contact:

Detective Robert Transue, at (570) 421-6800 ext:1027or via email at rtransue@sarpd.com

OR

Detective Dan Knowles, at 570-421-6800 ext:1046 or via email at dknowles@sarpd.com

289186981_2081026965392456_4734321089745624742_n.png

Missing since late May this year. She's a very attractive woman, apparently just living her life with her young child.
That her cell phone, wallet and daily medication was found found at her home is a worry, as well.
Hoping her daughter is in loving care of relative or friends. It's been a long time since mom or daughter saw or talked with each other. So sorry for both of them.
Hoping LE has some leads, but seems they didn't get a lot of info from the friends she was with just before she was picked up. Hoping she told those friends more than we know, but I'm doubtful.

A bit about Stroudsburg borough, PA:
Stroudsburg is a borough in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, United States. It lies within the state's Poconos region, approximately five miles from the Delaware Water Gap, at the confluence of the Brodhead, McMichaels and Pocono Creeks, in northeastern Pennsylvania. It is also the county seat of Monroe County. Wikipedia
[...]
Population
: 5,514 (2020)

I don't use FB, so I may have missed something important... Is there anything there that might point to the person who picked her up? If so, was she planning just an afternoon with him, or just a dinner date, etc.? I can't see a good mom just leaving her child for who-knoze-how-long. Hoping her daughter is doing okay. SMH. Hoping Dana is okay and on her way back home.
I would appreciate any info from her FB if there is anything helpful. This one has got its hooks in me. Big thanks.

Officials say Smithers was last seen on May 28 just after 11:00 p.m. Video shows Smithers leaving the residence of a friend with her cell phone. Smithers cell phone, wallet and daily medication were found at her residence.

Family reported to police that Smithers has never stayed away from her young daughter for this length of time.
Stroudsburg woman reported missing, last seen in May

Stacey Anne Smithers of Coolbaugh Township seeks help locating her sister, who was last seen on May 28, 2022.

Forty-five-year-old Dana Smithers, a resident of Stroudsburg Boro, had enjoyed the festival with friends earlier in the evening at the Happy Hour Bar and Grill. Following the festival, she returned to her home on Stokes Ave, only a few blocks away. After spending some time at home, Dana decided to walk to her friend's house, only three houses down. She briefly stayed there, and the residence ring camera captured her leaving around 11:07 pm. That was the last time Dana was seen; she did not return home that night.

She left behind her purse, car, and anxiety medication, which she takes religiously. Now her family is fearing the worst. Family members have filed a police report with the Stroud regional police department.

Dana has dark brown hair and brown eyes and is about 5'5". She was last seen wearing a burgundy t-shirt and black jeans. Dana's sister Stacey says, "Dana has a family who loves her, and we need her to come home."

Officials say Smithers was last seen on May 28 just after 11:00 p.m. Video shows Smithers leaving the residence of a friend with her cell phone. Smithers cell phone, wallet and daily medication were found at her residence.

Family reported to police that Smithers has never stayed away from her young daughter for this length of time.
Stroudsburg woman reported missing, last seen in May

Stacey Anne Smithers of Coolbaugh Township seeks help locating her sister, who was last seen on May 28, 2022.

Forty-five-year-old Dana Smithers, a resident of Stroudsburg Boro, had enjoyed the festival with friends earlier in the evening at the Happy Hour Bar and Grill. Following the festival, she returned to her home on Stokes Ave, only a few blocks away. After spending some time at home, Dana decided to walk to her friend's house, only three houses down. She briefly stayed there, and the residence ring camera captured her leaving around 11:07 pm. That was the last time Dana was seen; she did not return home that night.

She left behind her purse, car, and anxiety medication, which she takes religiously. Now her family is fearing the worst. Family members have filed a police report with the Stroud regional police department.

Dana has dark brown hair and brown eyes and is about 5'5". She was last seen wearing a burgundy t-shirt and black jeans. Dana's sister Stacey says, "Dana has a family who loves her, and we need her to come home."
What festival?

What festival?
On Saturday, May 28, Clermont Ave will be closed off to traffic as it will be the location of the first-ever Happy Hour Street Festival! The Happy Hour Bar & Grill, located on Clermont Ave, is collaborating with Sherman theater to bring you this all-day festival that includes seven live performers, over ten vendors, food, drinks, and more. Attendance is free but be sure to bring your wallet and appetite, as Happy Hour Bar & Grill has recently revamped their menu and is looking forward to bringing it to the public.

The first act starts at 12:30 pm with Clodagh Conboy until 1:00 pm. The following lin-up includes Andrew Tirado from 1:15 to 2:15, Ashley Marguez Duo w/ Nick Desouza from 2:30 to 3:30, Keith Kenny from 3:45 to 4:45, Doug Batt from 5:00 to 6:00, the Regia Sayles Band from 6:30 to 8:00, the Christian Porter Band rounding it off performing from 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm…

She was last seen leaving her friend's home with cell phone in hand.

Items left behind at home were cell phone, wallet and medication.

Linked article says she didn't return home from her friend's.

Unless she had more than one cell phone, she must have returned home if cell phone was found at home.

I didn't know about a festival. Hmmmm. Did someone at the Festival see Dana and follow her and wait to find/kidnap her near her home? If so, that could be dangerous. Just a thought... SMH.

She was last seen leaving her friend's home with cell phone in hand.

Items left behind at home were cell phone, wallet and medication.

Linked article says she didn't return home from her friend's.

Unless she had more than one cell phone, she must have returned home if cell phone was found at home.
That link is an article from the Stroudsburg Herald on June 7th and seems to be the only one reporting she didn't make it back home that night. The video attached at the link shows Dana leaving her friend's home with her cellphone in her left hand.

The Facebook post from the Stroudsburg Police Department posted roughly 6 hours ago states that her cellphone was found at her residence, as well as every other article I've read. That would mean she did make it home that night. If her cellphone made it to her home, then whatever happened to Dana had to happen after she arrived home and set down her belongings.

MOO

This is where I had some confusion.

1655548282522.jpeg

Circumstances of Disappearance
45 year old Dana Smithers, a resident of Stroudsburg Boro, had enjoyed the festival with friends earlier in the evening at the Happy Hour Bar and Grill. Following the festival, she returned to her home on Stokes Ave, only a few blocks away. After spending some time at home, Dana decided to walk to her friend's house, only three houses down. She briefly stayed there, and the residence ring camera captured her leaving around 11:07 pm. That was the last time Dana was seen; she did not return home that night.

Circumstance Notes​

Dana is without her car, purse, and phone. She is also without her anxiety meds, which she has taken religiously for 10 years.

May 1 FB post is just a picture of a young girl...possibly her daughter. 6,7,8 yrs old. Guessing.

2020 FB...more pics of her and her daughter. No info.
Hi there. Dana is my closest friend. I'm grateful that the media finally gave her disappearance the attention that it warrants, and that your group is talking about it. The more people that talk about it the better. Yes, the picture is her daughter. Dana isn't a big social media user, so you probably won't find much to go on on her Facebook or anything.

I didn't talk to her the weekend she disappeared. She's my best friend, yes, but we don't talk every day. Life gets busy. :( So, I don't know the answers to all of your questions. But I'll tell you whatever I can that may be helpful.

- The festival that they're talking about was in Downtown Stroudsburg on Main Street, blocks from her house.

-Her cellphone IS at her house. She did have it when she left her friend's house. So she did make it back to her house.

-Yes, she knows pretty much everyone in the neighborhood. Dana is a very outgoing woman. She loves to talk to people. She could turn a stranger into a friend with one conversation. She's very well-known locally and loved by so many people. She is the kind of person that would go out of her way to help anyone at any time.

-Regarding the question of "could a stranger have followed her home from the festival and waited for her..." anything is possible. But she went home first, then walked to her friend's three houses away, then walked home again, all while it was dark outside. I think that if that were the case, they would have grabbed her either when she first got home or, more likely, while she was walking. Right? I don't know, I think you would all know more about that than me.

I have some questions now that maybe you can help with.

Thanks to research on groups like this, I learned about NamUs. She wasn't listed there, so I submitted her. It was approved earlier this week. Was that the right thing to do? Should I have waited for the police to add it?

Are there any other resources or places where we should share her information? Anything else like NamUs that we're missing? ANYTHING at all that we can do, big or small that you can think of?

It took almost three weeks for the local police to make this public. Her family tried to get media attention, and up until last night, only the Stroudsburg Herald took them seriously (the other post up until last night on PrettyOpinionated is my own site, so it doesn't really count as news). I'm grateful that the media finally picked it up and got people talking about her. I know her family is, too. Thank you for all of your sleuthing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back