GUILTY PA - Deanna Null, 36, found dismembered, Monroe County, 18 Jan 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And she had a criminal past. She could've been in contact with anyone capable of this. I hope they catch whomever did this to her. My heart goes out to her family.

Woman's Remains Identified
Posted: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Feb 4, 2008 2:42 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);Feb 4, 2008 02:42 PM
Last Updated: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Feb 4, 2008 5:33 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);Feb 4, 2008 05:33 PM

By Trish Hartman
State police have put a name and a face on the remains of a woman found along two area interstates last week and they have a description of a car they're trying to locate.

The woman whose body was found in pieces along the interstate in the Poconos last week has been identified as 36-year-old Deanna Null.

State police said Monday she was originally from Williamsport and was living in the Scranton area.
Her family called the police saying they hadn't seen her since the middle of January. Over the weekend they learned the woman who was murdered was indeed Deanna.

A call from concerned family members and dental records are what state police said identified Deanna Marie Null as the woman whose body was found in pieces on the interstate in Monroe and Lackawanna counties.
Police said she grew up in Williamsport and was living in Scranton for about a year before the murder.
Now, investigators are talking to people who knew her to find out why she was killed.
"We have interviewed some associates she had and we've talked to people she was most recently staying with but again they have not seen her since the middle of January and we're talking last week that her remains were discovered. So we're trying to fill that two week or so time gap between when she was seen alive and when she was found on the interstate," said Lieutenant Robert Bartal of Pennsylvania State Police.

Null's body was found scattered over a 15-mile radius last week. The body parts were found on the side of the road along I-380 and I-80.

After an autopsy another search of the highways was done to look for more pieces of her body.
Now that police know who she was, they are hoping to hear from more people who can shed some light on why she was murdered.

"Now we're just trying to have someone that may come forward to say the last time they saw her. So we narrow down that time frame and we are going to be following up the leads of who she may have been with prior to her death," Bartal added.

Null did have a criminal past. According to court documents, she pleaded guilty to drug and criminal conspiracy charges in Lycoming County court in 2003.

While she was on work release in 2005 a warrant was issued for her arrest for violating parole.
In September of 2007 another warrant was issued for failing to pay court fines.
State police said she had no known occupation the last time anyone saw her.
Troopers also released the description of a car they are looking for in connection with the murder. They said it is an older model, dark colored Cadillac or Buick sedan with a cloth or leather top, a four or five chrome strip luggage rack on the truck lid bearing a white license plate from an unknown state. The car was last seen at Olive and Capouse Streets in Scranton about two weeks ago. It was driven by a tall, stocky black man with short, military-style haircut.
Anyone with information is asked to call state police at Swiftwater can be reached at 570-839-7701.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=7819732

<snip>
Police said that the trash bags in which the woman's body parts were found may play a crucial role in cracking the case, NBC 10's Stacey Weaver reported.
</snip>

<snip>
Sources close to the case described the trash bags in which the parts were found as distinctive, saying each was black with a bright blue drawstring.
</snip>

Source: http://www.nbc10.com/news/15176590/detail.html?rss=phi&psp=news

LOL Well, I think unless those garbage bags were the designer ones I found at Neiman-Marcus...they are going to have to convince me they are "distinctive" and can crack this case. I researched all kinds of garbage bags used for commercial and residential purposes. Most commercial bags do not have the drawstrings, but have ties.

However, I have seen where they have been able to match garbage bags to specific batches which if they can find the bag or box they possibly came from...it can be a crucial piece of evidence then.

I was talking to my husband about this and he is an inventory control manager in a manufacturing plant. He says they can tell by the bag where it was made, what batch it was based on the materials, and look at purchases. I was scanning the web for more info and came across this paper. It's interesting because in my husbands case (he works in a automotive battery plant) every batch is slightly different and you can tell what parts were made and when they were made based on the "ingredients" that day. Also, the line it was made on would leave slightly different marks or seals or seams than other lines. This info can all be traced back to the origin to help determine where that batch was sent in the country. So I found this and thought it could be related to the statement police made regarding the bags.

Tracing the source of illicit drugs through plastic packaging--a database
Roux, C
Department of Chemistry, Materials and Forensic Science, University of Technology, Sydney P.O. Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, Australia.

Bull, S
Department of Chemistry, Materials and Forensic Science, University of Technology, Sydney P.O. Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, Australia.

Goulding, J
Forensic Services, Australian Federal Police, Locked Bag A3000, Sydney South NSW 1232, Australia.

Lennard, C
Forensic Services, Australian Federal Police, GPO Box 401, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia.

Abstract
Common plastic drug packaging material available in Australia and in Asia was analyzed using a standard protocol including optical examination, UV-visible and Fourier transform infrared spectrometry. The aims were to determine whether there are significant differences between different sources, to establish the evidential value of these examinations, and to build a database of common packaging material.
Visual examination was the most effective means for discriminating samples. Thickness and weight measurements provided useful information. Visualization of machining marks using crossed polarized light was found to be useful in the comparison process. UV-visible spectrophotometry has some value for distinguishing samples. Fourier transform infrared analysis was a good technique for determination of the polymer composition of the packaging. Significant differences were observed between Australian and overseas samples.
The “Australian Database of Drug Packaging Materials” was created to systematically collate all of the collected data for application on personal computers. It is concluded that the properties of plastic packaging materials can be excellent indicators for identifying the specific brand or origin of the packaging.

Keywords:
drug packaging, forensic science, illicit drugs, plastic materials, polymer, substance abuse detection

Paper ID: JFS45100X99X

http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/JOURNALS/FORENSIC/PAGES/JFS45100X99X.htm?E+mystore

I'm not going to get into arguing over garbage bags. I'm just posting that the article says they were "distinctive" and then the PD called PennDOT they asked them to look for black garbage bags with bright blue drawstrings.

From my previous post:

• Unless they are distinctive because of the bright blue drawstring. Something about the bags that the body parts were found in stood out and made them note worthy.
I'm already aware that they can possibly match garbage bags to specific batches.

LOL Well, I think unless those garbage bags were the designer ones I found at Neiman-Marcus...they are going to have to convince me they are "distinctive" and can crack this case. I researched all kinds of garbage bags used for commercial and residential purposes. Most commercial bags do not have the drawstrings, but have ties.

However, I have seen where they have been able to match garbage bags to specific batches which if they can find the bag or box they possibly came from...it can be a crucial piece of evidence then.

*snip*Bartal said this did not indicate evidence of a past drug addiction. There are no suspects, he said, and, at this point, it is believed the case was neither domestic nor drug-related. Police have not found a murder weapon.

Bartal said Null was a witness in a recent attempted homicide case in Williamsport, but he did not release specifics about her involvement.

Entire article can be found here http://www.timesleader.com/news/20080205_05remainsID_ed_ART.html

Interesting stuff. I bet the locals are breathing a sigh of relief that this may not be some serial killer on the loose. They were all speculating that up there.

Maybe someone didn't want her to testify at that trial.

well.. there it is.
not only was it to do away with her... it was a blatant warning to anyone else who might be a witness in tis trial or any other one. since they've connected her to this case, surely they have the suspects by now.

what i wanna know is... what are these lowlife subhumans doing in the poconos anyway??? go somewhere else and rob people and do drugs. can we just have one place left in the united stated that is free and clear of this stupid crap??

Null was a cocaine dealer who ran with a very bad crowd. She has been in and out of trouble with the law for over a decade. She was involved in a shooting in her hometown.

Not saying she deserved this grisly death and disposal...but when you hang with evil people, expect evil back.

Investigators are trying to determine if Deanna Marie Null’s murder might be related to a drive-by shooting that occurred in the city nearly six years ago in which her boyfriend at the time was one of the victims.

No one was injured in the April 3, 2002, shooting that occurred outside Null’s home, which then was in the 700 block of West Edwin Street, city police said.

Several shots were fired from a car at a group of black men, one of them being Richard Lowrie of Harrisburg, who police said was then Null’s boyfriend.

State police investigators came to city police headquarters Tuesday to pick up the police report on the shooting, which police said was racially motivated. Three white men were convicted of various crimes.

Two men pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and were sentenced to state prison terms ranging from two to eight years. A third man pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence and was sentenced to a year in the County Prison, according to court records.

“Null was not a victim. She wasn’t even a witness in this case, but her boyfriend was a victim,” city Patrolman Roy Snyder, the lead investigator in the shooting case, said Tuesday.

While there was no trial, Lowrie did testify in a preliminary hearing involving the three defendants, Snyder said.

Parts of Null’s dismembered body were found Jan. 29 in several trash bags that were strewn along Interstates 80 and 380 at eight locations in Lackawanna and Monroe County. She was 36.

Her identity was obtained through a forensic dentist in Allentown, according to the Pocono Record.

“She played no role whatsoever in the conviction of the three men,” Snyder said of Null. Lowrie, however, was “a key witness and victim.”

The state Board of Probation and Parole in Harrisburg was unable to provide any information Tuesday on the status of the three men convicted in the shooting case.

Both Null and Lowrie, believed now to be in his late 30s, were arrested in early February 2003 as part of a major cocaine-distribution ring that extended from Lycoming to Northumberland County.

Court records, filed by the state Attorney General’s Office, alleged that Null sold cocaine in Williamsport while Lowrie trafficked cocaine in Shamokin. Both were convicted of various drug crimes.

City police Capt. Raymond Kontz III said Tuesday there was nothing at this point that tied the 2002 shooting with Null’s murder, but then he added “the ultimate decision on that will be the state police.”

The Scranton Times-Tribue reported that Null had petitioned Lowrie into court for child support for the three children he fathered.

When a reporter went to the city home of Null’s relatives Tuesday night, a woman who answered the door said the family had no comment.

Kontz and state police officials at the Montoursville barracks said they are providing “background” information on Null to state investigators at Swiftwater who are leading the case.

“There is no evidence at this point to indicate that she was killed here,” Kontz said.

A retired veteran FBI criminal profiler told the Pocono Record last week that the killer was someone “with a need to shock and offend people.”

Gregg McCrary, with 35 years of experience at analyzing crimes and crime scenes, told the newspaper that by dumping the body along a well-traveled road like an interstate, “somebody wanted it discovered.”

During his years with the FBI, McCrary of Fredericksburg, Va., worked on a number of crimes that were dismemberment cases, the newspaper reported.

The killer “might enjoy the infamy while at the same time trying to avoid taking responsibility. Maybe he wanted to display the body where it would get public attention,” he told the Pocono Record.

More than a month after a woman's dismembered body was found in garbage bags along Interstates 380 and 80 in Monroe County, police charged a Coolbaugh Township man Saturday with killing her.

State police said they arrested Charles Ray Hicks, 33, after finding a pair of hands in his house.

*more at link* http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_5hands.6305221mar09,0,1676272.story

PA - Charles Ray Hicks - For Murder/Dismemberment of Deanna Marie Null - Monroe County - 2008

1) Wed, May 28 '14: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS0947/901140337/-1/living100301:

An informative article describing both Prosecution and Defense Strategies.

2) Wed, May 28 '14: http://www.local21news.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.pa/3df18291-www.local21news.com.shtml*

3) Wed, May 28 '14: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/trial-for-man-charged-with-killing-prostitute-in-2008-set-1.1693803

Monroe County Court Of Common Pleas:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CPReport.ashx?docketNumber=CP-45-CR-0000391-2008

*Trial Scheduled for Wednesday, November 5, 2014.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/jury-selection-begins-in-homicide-dismemberment-case-1.1777928

Jury selection is scheduled to begin today in Monroe County court for the long-delayed trial of a man charged with killing and dismembering a Scranton woman in 2008.

Charles Ray Hicks, 40, is facing a possible death sentence if he&#8217;s convicted of first-degree murder for the death of Deanna Null...

Jury selection is expected to last about a week. Opening statements and testimony in the trial are scheduled to begin Nov. 5 before Judge Margherita Worthington.

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20141105/NEWS/141109689/101010/NEWS

Those in the courtroom had been warned in advance about the grisly pictures taken of a Scranton mother's dismembered remains, which were found dumped in drawstring trash bags scattered along interstates 380 and 80 one morning in January 2008.

Yet, despite the warning, the five male and 11 female jurors could barely contain their horror behind neutral facades when viewing a projected slide show of these pictures Wednesday, the first day of trial for Charles Hicks Jr., 40, of Tobyhanna...

Bruises were found on some of the body parts during an autopsy at Lehigh Valley Hospital the next day, according to the pictures shown in court. Forensic testing later done on the remains showed the victim's heart was still beating when she was beaten about the head and when her head was then severed from her body, police said.

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20141107/NEWS/141109562/101099/NEWS

Mercado testified this morning that Hicks moved into the rental in January 2008, days prior to Null's body parts being found in the trash bags. She said Hicks made odd remarks when being shown around the property, such as asking if any dead bodies were buried on a certain part of the property and joking with her that he wasn't a serial killer.

Mercado said she was cleaning the house in preparation for Hicks moving in, after he had verbally agreed to become a tenant, when she noticed a foul odor in one part of the house. She thought a mouse had died in the walls and dismissed the odor, which later turned out to be the concealed severed hands of Null.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back