PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't forget the women who worked at the historic home on the corner, who saw him pacing in Soldiers Park across the street, while talking on a cell phone. At that time, his car was parked on Market St, in front of their museum.

My impression from witnesses and the timeline is that he spent some time there alone while waiting for the "mystery woman" to arrive.

I'm counting those.

So this mystery woman, if true, was important enough for Ray not to return home or at least text or call Patty to say he was ok...
What would be keeping him in the Lewisburg area ? If up to "no good," why would Ray tell Patty exactly where he was headed......why not lie about your destination?
Apparently, she was not a threat at the time..he was able to be left alone with a cell phone on the 16th.
According to PEF, RFG said that he was heading in the direction of Lewisburg, not that it was a destination.

If RFG was planning to walk away, it might have delayed finding the Mini, because they were looking along Route 192.

In a now walkaway argument:

1. He could have wanted to focus on a romantic encounter.

2. Something could have happened on 4/15 and the 3 witnesses from 4/16 are wrong.

So this mystery woman, if true, was important enough for Ray not to return home or at least text or call Patty to say he was ok...
What would be keeping him in the Lewisburg area ? If up to "no good," why would Ray tell Patty exactly where he was headed......why not lie about your destination?
Apparently, she was not a threat at the time..he was able to be left alone with a cell phone on the 16th.
Important note is that Ray’s cell phone shows no calls made in or out after 11:12 am on 4/15. If I recollect 2005 cell phone technology correctly, when your phone was shut off or dead the only way you knew you had a missed call was if someone left a voicemail. Possible back then that he had missed calls after that but the only ones the police could trace were those with voicemail left. Ray shut his phone off sometime after calling Patty at 11:12 am but before she left him a voicemail at 6:58 pm.

His cell phone history in the week prior to disappearing indicate large periods with no phone calls in or out. Maybe he liked to shut his phone off a lot? Or maybe his cell phone just wasn’t used much? Work days : Monday 4/11 no calls, Tuesday 4/12 two calls, Wednesday 4/13 no calls, Thursday 4/14 one call.

Cell culture was largely different back in ‘05, especially for someone in his late 50’s who probably just started using a cell phone within the previous several years. It just wasn’t a big fixture for someone like him. Still, you’d think the days he wasn’t in the office and was out driving around he would have had at least a few incoming calls from co workers, LE, etc that couldn’t reach him in the office? My bet is his phone was shut off most of the time that week. Would be extremely interesting too see what the cell records looked like over the months prior and determine if there are any trends.

Important note is that Ray’s cell phone shows no calls made in or out after 11:12 am on 4/15. If I recollect 2005 cell phone technology correctly, when your phone was shut off or dead the only way you knew you had a missed call was if someone left a voicemail. Possible back then that he had missed calls after that but the only ones the police could trace were those with voicemail left. Ray shut his phone off sometime after calling Patty at 11:12 am but before she left him a voicemail at 6:58 pm.

His cell phone history in the week prior to disappearing indicate large periods with no phone calls in or out. Maybe he liked to shut his phone off a lot? Or maybe his cell phone just wasn’t used much? Work days : Monday 4/11 no calls, Tuesday 4/12 two calls, Wednesday 4/13 no calls, Thursday 4/14 one call.

Cell culture was largely different back in ‘05, especially for someone in his late 50’s who probably just started using a cell phone within the previous several years. It just wasn’t a big fixture for someone like him. Still, you’d think the days he wasn’t in the office and was out driving around he would have had at least a few incoming calls from co workers, LE, etc that couldn’t reach him in the office? My bet is his phone was shut off most of the time that week. Would be extremely interesting too see what the cell records looked like over the months prior and determine if there are any trends.
The call on 4/14 from LG. Note that LG tried the home phone first. That is consistent with him not using his phone.

When I needed to be on call in the early 2000's, my phone was on when I was away from home, but I used a landline for the house. RFG had landlines at the house and office.

The call on 4/14 from LG. Note that LG tried the home phone first. That is consistent with him not using his phone.

When I needed to be on call in the early 2000's, my phone was on when I was away from home, but I used a landline for the house. RFG had landlines at the house and office.
Something I found interesting on that topic. Seems strange that Lara would call him at home around 10:00 AM on a weekday. She would obviously know that he should normally be at work at 10:00 on a weekday. Hypothetically, maybe she tried his office first, found out he wasn't there, tried the home landline, no answer, then called the cell last. Alternately, she knew in advance he wasn't planning to be at work at that time and started with the landline.

Something I found interesting on that topic. Seems strange that Lara would call him at home around 10:00 AM on a weekday. She would obviously know that he should normally be at work at 10:00 on a weekday. Hypothetically, maybe she tried his office first, found out he wasn't there, tried the home landline, no answer, then called the cell last. Alternately, she knew in advance he wasn't planning to be at work at that time and started with the landline.
First, it is three hours earlier where she was.

They had a central switchboard at the Courthouse in 2005, so it was not possible to track which calls were going where. I think you are correct with the idea that she called the office first.

To be a perfect crime, certain elements must all be there, certain clues visible in plain sight. The criminal must be masterly; he must not only get away with it, but he must do so with public abetment. All the discrepancies must be ironed out, but the ending, nevertheless, must be ambiguous.

This case is so haunting to me. I've read through years' worth of threads and information here, and I keep changing my mind WRT what might've happened to RFG almost 20 years ago.

I was looking at some old press coverage of his career, campaigning, etc. from the 1980s. He was so young in the photos (all clippings come from the Centre Daily Times via newspapers dot com). IMO, it seems like he really sought to modernize/professionalize his office to the extent possible, and that his drive to do so wasn't necessarily welcomed by everyone, at least at first. It also seems like he really did enjoy his work, though perhaps he'd tired of it or became disillusioned with it after so many years in the role. I also didn't know he'd taken photography classes at PSU during the year or so he stayed at home with his daughter. I wonder if he continued to pursue it as a hobby, or if he just got too busy with life and other interests?

Attachments

• 1985-02-06 RFG to run for DA.png
    1985-02-06 RFG to run for DA.png
    563 KB · Views: 11
  • 1989-10-29 CDT RG DA 19 yrs - p1.png
    1989-10-29 CDT RG DA 19 yrs - p1.png
    756.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1989-10-29 CDT RG DA 19 yrs - p2.png
    1989-10-29 CDT RG DA 19 yrs - p2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 1985-10-14 CDT RG DA Race.png
    1985-10-14 CDT RG DA Race.png
    954.4 KB · Views: 9
1706751781613.png

'District Attorney Once Linked To Jerry Sandusky Investigation Disappears: "It’s Truly Like He Did Vanish Into Thin Air"​

District Attorney Ray Gricar was just eight months away from retirement when he mysteriously vanished in 2005 after taking the day off work.'
By Jill Sederstrom Jan 31, 2024, 8:00 PM ET

View attachment 479721

'District Attorney Once Linked To Jerry Sandusky Investigation Disappears: "It’s Truly Like He Did Vanish Into Thin Air"​

District Attorney Ray Gricar was just eight months away from retirement when he mysteriously vanished in 2005 after taking the day off work.'
By Jill Sederstrom Jan 31, 2024, 8:00 PM ET
This looks like the repeat of the 12/16/11 Dateline Story.

This looks like the repeat of the 12/16/11 Dateline Story.

If so, it's interesting they want to run the episode again. Maybe family is hoping someone will come forward with information. Judging from the history of the case, it seems unlikely the investigators are interested.

JMO, my impression is LE isn't really interested in pursuing the case any longer.

If so, it's interesting they want to run the episode again. Maybe family is hoping someone will come forward with information. Judging from the history of the case, it seems unlikely the investigators are interested.

JMO, my impression is LE isn't really interested in pursuing the case any longer.
No, they just use it in cycle. The family was not overly pleased with it.

The PSP will investigate new leads, but there are not any.

seems like there are some freight train lines that run near there or even through Lewisburg...anyone know? is there a train yard there? mOO
I think the line in Lewisburg itself does not connect up. No train yard.

On the other side of the river there is a freight line that does connect up with Conrail at Harrisburg.

I think the line in Lewisburg itself does not connect up. No train yard.

On the other side of the river there is a freight line that does connect up with Conrail at Harrisburg.
interesting..I was hoping for a train yard...but there could be a switch area where someone could hop a train out of the area. I know it's far out but just thinking of ways out, how a person might vanish without a trail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back