PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not a bad discussion. It would be nice to get a tidbit of the inside info not known by the public he mentions that he heard from the detective.

Yes, I'm looking forward to his next report, if he decides to continue. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he was somewhat close to and familiar with the case. He didn't know Ray personally, but knew of him. He said some referred to him as "quirky". Maybe that also meant he was independent?

Though he was a respected prosecutor for many years, I've always wondered if some locals in the criminal justice system still considered Ray an "outsider" because he wasn't from their area, but from Cleveland, OH.

Yes, I'm looking forward to his next report, if he decides to continue. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he was somewhat close to and familiar with the case. He didn't know Ray personally, but knew of him. He said some referred to him as "quirky". Maybe that also meant he was independent?

Though he was a respected prosecutor for many years, I've always wondered if some locals in the criminal justice system still considered Ray an "outsider" because he wasn't from their area, but from Cleveland, OH.
For many people in Centre County an "outsider" is someone without a Penn State connection. He first ex-wife was a professor there and his girlfriend was an alumna. I think he would be considered an insider. A LOT of central PA is like that.

For many people in Centre County an "outsider" is someone without a Penn State connection. He first ex-wife was a professor there and his girlfriend was an alumna. I think he would be considered an insider. A LOT of central PA is like that.

It occurred to me that some in the community, specifically in law enforcement, thought of Ray as an "outsider" or not native to the area because most seemed to have a casual approach to Ray's disappearance. The attitude that "well he ran off with a woman" or "he took a bunch of money (?) and moved to another country" or "well his brother was depressed, so he must have committed suicide" has always sounded as if most people didn't really care what happened to Ray.

I heard a little of this in KM's podcast about Ray. Perhaps it's unintentional but it reflected what I've perceived in other locals who've been interviewed over the years. "Why are people still interested in this case?"

Aside from Ray's family and some close friends, no one seems to really care that he went missing. JMO It's a feeling that relevant locals seem to want to leave it in the past and feel little irritated that outsiders keep asking questions, trying to find out what happened to Ray.

JMO, only.

Last edited:
It occurred to me that some in the community, specifically in law enforcement, thought of Ray as an "outsider" or not native to the area because most seemed to have a casual approach to Ray's disappearance. The attitude that "well he ran off with a woman" or "he took a bunch of money (?) and moved to another country" or "well his brother was depressed, so he must have committed suicide" has always sounded as if most people didn't really care what happened to Ray.

I heard a little of this in KM's podcast about Ray. Perhaps it's unintentional but it reflected what I've perceived in other locals who've been interviewed over the years. "Why are people still interested in this case?"

Aside from Ray's family and some close friends, no one seems to really care that he went missing. JMO It's a feeling that relevant locals seem to want to leave it in the past and feel little irritated that outsiders keep asking questions, trying to find out what happened to Ray.

JMO, only.
Keep in mind that the people that thought RFG was with a woman were the people that knew him, not to mention the fact that witnesses (I think plural) saw him with a woman, who looked like an old girlfriend, in Lewisburg.

No one has suggested that RFG "took a bunch of money."

Suicide can to the forefront when the Gricar brothers showed up and talked about RFG's brother killing himself; it was their first thought. It was well known in 2005 that depression could lead to suicide and depression could be genetic. Anyone passingly familiar with the family of Ernest Hemingway would see that even in 2005. Couple that with everyone talking about RFG's change in demeanor and tiredness.

I am critical of some of the things LE did not do, but I have said that the initial investigation was very good, the first 48 hours. They followed up the initial leads.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonna1980!
Back