PA PA - Economy Borough, Beaver Co, WhtFem 40-80, UP13338, embalmed head, gray hair, Dec'14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case is just odd. I doubt they were a missing person or anything along those lines. From what I can tell, the theory that the head was severed after the viewing and potential eye donation (don't know how the Chinese balls came in, though? Did they run out of other material to fill the eyes with? I don't have much experience with funeral homes so I don't particularly understand) and before cremation would make the most sense (IMO) given the styled hair and embalming.

I imagine this person had to have had an obituary or death record of some kind if they were receiving medication and in a funeral home, so I've been looking recently on Ancestry for people who were 1) born in the general region suggested by the isotope analysis, 2) died in the region suggested by the isotope analysis (I mainly looked for people in Erie, Mercer, Crawford, Lawrence County because those counties have major roads leading to Economy, but this is, of course, a theory), 3) looked like the Jane Doe.

I spent a few hours looking and I've only seen four people who I believe look anything like the Jane Doe. I will not share any of the names for privacy reasons and because I feel that it would be disrespectful (possibly a violation of Websleuths Terms as well?). There's one person who has a pretty good resemblance to the Jane Doe in my opinion, but, as before, I will not share their name.

I think one of the big obstacles here (ignoring the circumstances, which are unknown and quite split depending on the person you ask) is just trying to narrow down the region Jane Doe was in when she passed away. The 3 month-death area based on isotope analysis is *huge*. The file attached shows only part of where Jane Doe could have been in the last 3 months of her life; the full area includes much of Indiana and quite a few other states as well. The star is Economy. Attempting to go through obituary and death records for this large an area would be a massive undertaking that I imagine would prove quite hard. The only way to potentially narrow it down that I know of is through the major roads that go through the area, but these only give a very, very rough estimate of where she could have passed away that could also easily be wrong. Keep in mind that isotope analysis is not always perfect, but given where she was found and the area in which she was for much of her life, I think it's a pretty good bet to say that this area is a reasonable guess for where Jane Doe passed away.

Yes it is VERY odd..... that is a really great idea to look through obits from that area and time frame..But like you said the area is so vast! Also still so difficult to even know if the person you found is a match.. How would they even do that.. This is one of the cases that really has bothered me.

Mysterious case of embalmed head found in Economy woods weighs on investigators
Feb 18, 2019
Local officials talk to students at Penn State-Beaver about severed-head mystery
"Through the investigation, O’Brien said he found out a person can embalm a body at home with supplies and instructions acquired online, and that DNA is significantly degraded by the embalming process. He also found that modern burial vaults weigh more than a ton and cannot be easily robbed of their contents.

“What started as a simple call on Friday, December 12 not only altered that day, but altered the rest of my life,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien, with assistance from Beaver County Chief Detective Andrew Gall, talked through the case from its start to where it stands now to two of LaVarr McBride’s criminal justice classes Monday afternoon at Penn State-Beaver. The presentations were part education and part public outreach."

“It’s an opportunity for them to get a glimpse at why people commit crimes and the evidence that they leave behind,” McBride said of the benefit for his students.

It was also an opportunity to keep the case alive and get a new generation interested in it, O’Brien said.

The case is still open and the investigation is ongoing into woman’s identity, how she died and how the head was detached from the body. But without an identity, they don’t have much else to go on.

“We have an investigation, but don’t know where to go with it until we know who she is,” O’Brien said."

"But they’re still relying on the public for any leads. Anyone with information on the case should call the Economy Police Department at 724-869-7877."

Mysterious case of embalmed head found in Economy woods weighs on investigators
Feb 18, 2019
Local officials talk to students at Penn State-Beaver about severed-head mystery
"Through the investigation, O’Brien said he found out a person can embalm a body at home with supplies and instructions acquired online, and that DNA is significantly degraded by the embalming process. He also found that modern burial vaults weigh more than a ton and cannot be easily robbed of their contents.

“What started as a simple call on Friday, December 12 not only altered that day, but altered the rest of my life,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien, with assistance from Beaver County Chief Detective Andrew Gall, talked through the case from its start to where it stands now to two of LaVarr McBride’s criminal justice classes Monday afternoon at Penn State-Beaver. The presentations were part education and part public outreach."

“It’s an opportunity for them to get a glimpse at why people commit crimes and the evidence that they leave behind,” McBride said of the benefit for his students.

It was also an opportunity to keep the case alive and get a new generation interested in it, O’Brien said.

The case is still open and the investigation is ongoing into woman’s identity, how she died and how the head was detached from the body. But without an identity, they don’t have much else to go on.

“We have an investigation, but don’t know where to go with it until we know who she is,” O’Brien said."

"But they’re still relying on the public for any leads. Anyone with information on the case should call the Economy Police Department at 724-869-7877."

.. OmG Dotr that is crazy.. there is an embalming kit that you can get to embalm at home..what??:eek:.. Yeah its fun for the whole family..omg.. That just reminded me of the Vincent Price Shrunken at home Shrunken Head Kit...I don't know if anyone remembers that.. it used to scare me ha!

Huh? That's a thing?

My question is why would the hair be styled? Unless the person for some reason wanted them to look good (someone who liked/cared for them and didn't want to do it at a funeral home for some reason???). They would probably want to keep this secret though, so how would it have ended up in Economy? It's possible but I can't see it. Weirder things have happened though. So many questions...

I imagine they would identify the person thru dentals or potentially DNA from objects the deceased person used or exhuming them? Don't know if the former is possible though. The Doe has DNA but degraded because of the embalming process.

Really considering making a Facebook page or some sort of social media about this case, but I have no idea how I would go about it. C0nsidering the time she likely passed away in (2014), a lot of social media and someone related to this woman has to have an account of some kind. Someone who knows who this person is. I still think this person is in an obituary or death record somewhere, but that is a lot of searching to do. How would I be able to bring attention to a page of this nature? Do people just stumble upon it or...?

Apologies for triple-posting, but I've continued to look today and there's one particular person who stood out to me as having a staggering resemblance to the Jane Doe, and their birth and death locations match what the isotope analysis and my guess of where the Jane Doe could have passed away. When I looked at the face I couldn't believe it, I kept looking back and forth and despite the grainy quality of the photo provided I could still really see a resemblance. As before, I will not share the name, but would I suggest this to Economy Police through e-mail? I'm not yet done with my Ancestry search but when I'm done I'm thinking that I will suggest it to them.

Apologies for triple-posting, but I've continued to look today and there's one particular person who stood out to me as having a staggering resemblance to the Jane Doe, and their birth and death locations match what the isotope analysis and my guess of where the Jane Doe could have passed away. When I looked at the face I couldn't believe it, I kept looking back and forth and despite the grainy quality of the photo provided I could still really see a resemblance. As before, I will not share the name, but would I suggest this to Economy Police through e-mail? I'm not yet done with my Ancestry search but when I'm done I'm thinking that I will suggest it to them.

absolutely! let us know what happens. maybe even call them

Alright, I just contacted the Economy Borough Police Department. I hope this Jane Doe and her family are able to find peace and/or some sort of closure if she is identified. I don't think there is any Jane Doe case quite like this one.

Also, here's the map I compiled relating to Beaver Jane Doe. I put the isotope analysis findings, some major/minor roads leading to Economy, and some of my conjecture about where she could have passed away onto it. I put descriptions for my conjecture to explain my reasoning. Please tell me if there's anything you want me to add or remove!

2014 Beaver Doe - An Attempt to Compile Information - Google My Maps

(Made w/ Google My Maps)

Also, here's the map I compiled relating to Beaver Jane Doe. I put the isotope analysis findings, some major/minor roads leading to Economy, and some of my conjecture about where she could have passed away onto it. I put descriptions for my conjecture to explain my reasoning. Please tell me if there's anything you want me to add or remove!

2014 Beaver Doe - An Attempt to Compile Information - Google My Maps

(Made w/ Google My Maps)
Wow, that is organized, thanks!

That kind of business is apparently thriving worldwide, greatly enhanced by internet availability. It's a creepy subject to research. I looked into it a bit in relation to the skull that was found on a roof in NY state and really weirded myself out. Ugh.

Reading this article rn and I saw this mentioning of Beaver County Jane Doe. Seems like she might be a forensic genealogy case.
bbm.
Dr. Green recently submitted a paper to a scientific journal. Once published, he’s aware that the technique could be used for trivial crimes, corporate espionage or harassment and said that “there need to be rules for how that power is wielded.”

But he’s hopeful it will be used for good. Ms. Ryan, who recently forwarded him a case involving a woman’s embalmed head, shares this wish.

Older article with pics, including a non-graphic one of the head in the woods (really blends in) and of the red balls found in the eye sockets and X ray of head..
Special Report: A woman’s severed head was found in the woods. Who is she?
November 2, 2017 snippets.. rbbm.
''Pathologist Cyril Wecht, a veteran of more than 20,000 autopsies, agreed that the cutting wasn’t done by an amateur. “We see a rather neat surgical dissection,” Wecht said after examining crime scene photos. “Somebody took their time.”

''Police say they’ll likely need the public’s help to solve what they call the most bizarre case they’ve handled.''

''The balls continue to baffle investigators and mortuary experts, who say they have never heard of red rubber balls being used to replace removed eyes. At least one company makes spheres that double as eye caps, but they are vastly different in color and texture than the balls found in the woman’s sockets.''
''But why fill the empty sockets with the red balls? Using cotton to fill the space is cheaper.''

The use of caps in Jane Doe’s eye sockets was “very professional,” Moran said. “And yet part of it is the rubber balls you get with a ball-and-jacks set. It doesn’t make sense.”

''The situation also perplexes detective Gall, who hasn’t ruled out another scenario. “Prove to me it’s not a homicide – that she was alive and someone killed her and played with that body,” he said, “including putting the red eyeballs in there.”

''Based on their examination, dentists Raymond Miller and Peter Bush were able to posit a possible profile of Jane Doe: a lower-income woman who had many cavities and may have grown up where the water wasn’t fluoridated.''

''Vitali also noticed two slits on the back of the neck, and the woman’s cervical spine was gone.''

What an interesting case. I didn't realize how extensive the body brokering business was in the US and that there are literally no regulations... I think putting some laws into place would reduce the number of people abused in this trade.

Also, why would anyone even want an embalmed body? It contaminates the tissues? What on Earth would someone do with an embalmed head?

I wonder how this poor woman's head got to the field it was found in. It's hard for me to believe that it got there by accident...

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this on another thread:

Bones are used in Palo Mayombe rituals (in a cast iron or earthenware pot. There have been cases that I read about in under-grad, remember, I'm the Luddite who can't link nor can I remember, where the bones of young children, prized for their purity, or if they had unique conditions, such as Albinism, were sought after.

Bones, in particular skulls, are used on some Santa Muerte altars;

Some Afro-Cuban practioners do use body parts in some rituals. They can sometimes be in high demand from the bodies of specific individuals who possessed something that the practitioner highly valued, e.g. The Hand of Glory, cut off after a criminal was executed.

Best not to ask how I know this, though I am an unverified ethno-historian.

OT @madamx, Vincent Price was a fabulous chef. His cookbook is sadly out of print. Very unique.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this on another thread:

Bones are used in Palo Mayombe rituals (in a cast iron or earthenware pot. There have been cases that I read about in under-grad, remember, I'm the Luddite who can't link nor can I remember, where the bones of young children, prized for their purity, or if they had unique conditions, such as Albinism, were sought after.

Bones, in particular skulls, are used on some Santa Muerte altars;

Some Afro-Cuban practioners do use body parts in some rituals. They can sometimes be in high demand from the bodies of specific individuals who possessed something that the practitioner highly valued, e.g. The Hand of Glory, cut off after a criminal was executed.

Best not to ask how I know this, though I am an unverified ethno-historian.

OT @madamx, Vincent Price was a fabulous chef. His cookbook is sadly out of print. Very unique.
Too many instances of this type of practice to list, just including these two links, fwiw, speculation, imo.

What causes albinism?
''Albinos—people with white hair and skin, and often reddish eyes—are being mutilated and murdered for their body parts in Tanzania, according to The New York Times. Sometimes as family members look on in horror, groups of machete-wielding men have chopped off the legs, heads, and genitals of albinos.

Among the dead: a seven-month-old baby, a cassava farmer with two children, and a child murdered by his own father, according to reports by the BBC. The brutal killings -- 40 since 2007 -- are fueled by rumors that albino blood, skin, and hair have magical powers''

https://www.christianaid.org/missions-insider/2019-ritual-human-sacrifice-uncovered-in-africa/
''Often chosen for ritual murder are “soft targets” like the elderly, the physically challenged and children, the reports say. Last December in Ondo state, two women in their 70s were hacked to death in their homes in separate incidents linked by a common practice – the removal of their vital organs for ritual use. A sociologist at Bayero University in Kano, in northern Nigeria, told an Agence France-Presse reporter that traditional shamans in the country prefer children’s body parts for get-rich-quick potions.''

News article: Still no DNA, not for lack of trying by the DNA testing companies. Two Netflix shows will feature Jane Doe's case on their programs.

Severed head brings 2 Netflix shows to Beaver County

Beaver County Chief Detective Andy Gall: "We had a guy who — I won't call him a person of interest, but we were very interested in talking with him — who committed suicide in September," Gall said. "He jumped off a bridge on the Ohio Turnpike into the path of a tractor-trailer."

Not sure if it's okay to link to the article I found about the suicide; the victim's name and place of residence aren't listed in it. Wondering if he was asked to voluntarily come in for questioning and committed suicide before the interview could take place, or whether he only came to LE's attention after his suicide and maybe something was left behind that indicated a possible connection to Jane Doe's case. From the chief's phrasing it sounds more like the former, JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back