PA PA - Economy Borough, Beaver Co, WhtFem 40-80, UP13338, embalmed head, gray hair, Dec'14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The UB dental forensics team was tasked with determining if the head belonged to a torso in a broken-into mausoleum in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. The police knew the head belonged to an older woman, but not her identity.
---------------------------------------
What they discovered revealed that the severed head did not match the headless body.

“The problem was the body was interred in 1952 and all the dentistry in the head was modern, from the mid-1980s at the very earliest,” Bush said. “It more likely was done in the 1990s or even later.”

Was listening on my internet radio, going through the stations and came across a Podcast of this case.

August 1, 2024​

The Bone Reader - Snap Classic​

A severed head turns up in a small rural town. While police investigate this as a crime, they look at disturbed graves, search for missing people — suspect a killer. But the forensic artist on the case has a very different theory for how the head ended up in the woods.This story contains references to forensic material, sensitive listeners please be advised.Thank you to Michelle Vitali & Mike O'Brien for sharing this story with Snap.

The UB dental forensics team was tasked with determining if the head belonged to a torso in a broken-into mausoleum in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. The police knew the head belonged to an older woman, but not her identity.
---------------------------------------
What they discovered revealed that the severed head did not match the headless body.

“The problem was the body was interred in 1952 and all the dentistry in the head was modern, from the mid-1980s at the very earliest,” Bush said. “It more likely was done in the 1990s or even later.”

Thanks for sharing.

I’m surprised they could not get a DNA sample.

I think Unsolved Mysteries generally got to the gist of what happened here even if they didn’t explain it explicitly.

Some sketchy mortuary is selling body parts from bodies that were ‘cremated’ or some such. On this specific body, the eyes were removed and sold separately.

The weird neighbour JG somehow got wind of how to buy a head and put it in that specific spot as some sort of weird revenge plot against the teen he thinks has stabbed his horse - to scare him? To try implicating him in a crime?

The only thing I don’t understand is how they didn’t get DNA from the head. I get that the embalming fluid ruined soft tissue samples but surely they could have obtained DNA from deeper in a skull/jaw bone or from teeth? It seems absurd given what you can get DNA from now that they were presented with an entire head and somehow failed.

It will be key to collect more information about the suspect, Jay Grabner, who committed suicide after failing a polygraph. I live in Beaver County and have spoke with people who know him personally. Based on what they have shared, it seems there is a lot more to learn.

I think Unsolved Mysteries generally got to the gist of what happened here even if they didn’t explain it explicitly.

Some sketchy mortuary is selling body parts from bodies that were ‘cremated’ or some such. On this specific body, the eyes were removed and sold separately.

The weird neighbour JG somehow got wind of how to buy a head and put it in that specific spot as some sort of weird revenge plot against the teen he thinks has stabbed his horse - to scare him? To try implicating him in a crime?

The only thing I don’t understand is how they didn’t get DNA from the head. I get that the embalming fluid ruined soft tissue samples but surely they could have obtained DNA from deeper in a skull/jaw bone or from teeth? It seems absurd given what you can get DNA from now that they were presented with an entire head and somehow failed.
You could from the teeth or deeply inside the jawbone. They find useable DNA this way in Neanderthal skeletons. Yes, embalming liquid is aggressive but it wont penetrate dental enamel

You could from the teeth or deeply inside the jawbone. They find useable DNA this way in Neanderthal skeletons. Yes, embalming liquid is aggressive but it wont penetrate dental enamel

Yeah, this would be my understanding as well.

I don’t like speculating without full information but it *feels* like they took tissue samples, buried the head, and then were surprised to find the tissue samples were no good and now nobody really wants to deal with the cost/embarrassment of exhuming the head for further/better samples.

The fact that there wasn’t an actual serious crime here and that nobody is likely looking for this woman would further mean that funds for an exhumation are probably unlikely.

Yeah, this would be my understanding as well.

I don’t like speculating without full information but it *feels* like they took tissue samples, buried the head, and then were surprised to find the tissue samples were no good and now nobody really wants to deal with the cost/embarrassment of exhuming the head for further/better samples.

The fact that there wasn’t an actual serious crime here and that nobody is likely looking for this woman would further mean that funds for an exhumation are probably unlikely.
Which is sad, this is someines head that deserves to get a respectful burial together with the rest of the body. It is also someones loved one.
She needs her name back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess9976
Back