GUILTY PA - Four mentally disabled people held captive in Philly dungeon, 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

The article is well written and tugs at your heartstrings. I'm glad that Edwin was able to be reunited with his family after all of these years, but am devastated by the circumstances under which the reunion was facilitated.

It echoes MissIzzy's plight with her daughter that persons of age with mental disabilities are treated by law as fully functioning adults with rights to privacy and self determination. Even when caring family members who have their best interests at heart seek to contact or intervene oh their behalf, their efforts are thwarted by these laws.

On the other hand laws work to benefit violent criminals like Weston who received a light sentence for murder and was out within 4 years!

Not wanting to step on MissIzzy's toes here but many of us are familiar with the story.

MissIzzy's daughter while disabled is over the age of 18. Therefore even though she may be mentally at the age of 10, physically and legally she is over 18 and therefore considered responsible for herself. No one else can make decisions for her without her compliance.

Am I correct MissIzzy?

Thank you for clarifying the dilemma. Through research I was able to locate only one state online with laws that specifically addresses the issue of sexual crimes against adult victims with diminished capacity.

The TVPA does not address the issue although subsequent studies make note of the issue, and in several other cases I found references in footnotes (literally) to address the issue.

My heart goes out to you, MissIzzy. :hug:

It looks like Weston will try to play the 'incompetent' card again. I don't think it will work this time around.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20111106_Incompetent_to_stand_trial_.html?cmpid=125459048

Before her 1984 trial, Weston was evaluated at least nine times. The reports found she "scored extremely low in intellectual assessment" and that she was "a mentally retarded young adult suffering from intrinsic brain damage."

One doctor also diagnosed her as schizophrenic, and the records contain references to her "unusual" behavior.

In 1984 she was deemed competent to stand trial, and was convicted of third-degree murder.

When Weston appealed her sentence, Assistant District Attorney Marilyn F. Murray argued that Weston's contention that she had the mental capacity of a 2- or 3-year-old child was "specious."

Murray said then that Weston's writing and reading comprehension suggested a higher level of intelligence.

"It was the defendant who made the decision to imprison Ramos in the closet and who directed her siblings in a cruel and inhumane course of conduct which led directly to Ramos' death," the filing states. "It was also the defendant who had the presence of mind to direct her siblings to get rid of the body."

In paperwork related to the appeal, Weston repeatedly filled out her name and listed the charges against her, but when asked more complicated questions, Weston wrote, "I need a lawyer because I don't understand this," or "I need a lawyer to fill this out."

When Weston was paroled, one condition was that she undergo therapy and continue taking antipsychotic medication for as long as it was prescribed.

Police believe that Weston walked out of prison after serving about four years and immediately resumed her former life as leader of a household. This time, they allege, she broadened her scope.

Weston ruled fit to stand trial. Preliminary hearing set for December 19.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-accused-holding-captives-basement-fit-trial-184005537.html

Yep! Competent and on suicide watch.

O/T sort of. It seems since these poor people were found in that basment the neighborhood has gotten increasingly more dangerous. We had a 10 year old shot the other day caught in crossfire. Someone else was shot and then last night a boatload of cops looking for guns around Marsden and Unruh. I'm not naive, but it makes you wonder after such horrific things come to light does humanity get even more crazed?

All was quiet though this afternoon while we grabbed a steak sandwich on Torresdale.

I'm wondering if they will be able to get kidnapping convictions. The article indicates that Sanabria has denied ever refusing to go with them, yelling for help or trying to escape. He sounds like a very compliant guy who just tries to do what he has to to please. If he doesn't indicate in some way that he objected to going with Weston or staying with Weston, getting a conviction might be difficult.

The Judge dropped all charges against fourth defendant Eddie Wright. The Judge said Wright was as much a victim as the other victims.

Just heard it on New Radio. I'll get a link when one comes up.

That's huge.

I noticed in the article you posted it said that Wright slept downstairs with the others at night, but apparently went upstairs during the day. He was also responsible for feeding them. I wonder what his story is? Is he also handicapped/on disability? Was he also abused? Will charges be filed on his behalf?

Philadelphia basement captive case claims forced prostitution

Snip....In addition, the young woman's testimony immediately moved Assistant District Attorney Cheryl Yankolonis to seek an additional charge of promoting prostitution.

Snip....At one point, Judge Dugan chastised defendant Linda Wright and told her to stop mouthing words at the witness from her seat at the defense table.

"If I can read your lips, that means the witness can read lips." the judge said

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/20/us-crime-captives-idUSTRE7BJ25V20111220

Warning, the article is very disturbing. And I think I just figured out why both Breedon and Beatrice Weston had their teeth knocked out.

Ruh ro

Charges refiled against man in Pa. basement case

Prosecutors said Thursday that they have refiled charges dismissed by a judge this week against a suspect in the case of mentally disabled adults found locked in a basement as part of what authorities say was a Social Security fraud scheme.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/22/charges-refiled-against-man-in-pa-basement-case/

Philly DA refiles charges dismissed this week against suspect in basement abuse case

Prosecutors said they’re refiling kidnapping, assault and other charges against Eddie “the Reverend Ed” Wright. On Tuesday, a judge had agreed to drop charges against Wright after his attorney argued his client was more a victim than a perpetrator in the case.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...t-abuse-case/2011/12/22/gIQAP1GzBP_story.html

Publicly disagreeing with the judge this early is not a good sign!

We had an article in our Sunday paper about Edwin Sanabria and how he is adjusting to life with his brother and family in North Carolina.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-19/news/31077303_1_brother-group-home-lives

The trials, tribulations, joy and freedom all in one.

I'm not a crier. Rarely, if ever, does something move me to tears. But this did. Out of tragedy comes beauty. What an amazing man Robert (and his wife) are for extending their home, help and hearts to Edwin. And what a joyous spirit Edwin has ..... :great:

"Edwin shares those goals. He wants to take art classes, make a few friends, maybe even get "a little job."

"I want to show people I can do stuff on my own, because I know I can," he said. "I don't mind people helping, but I did a lot of stuff on my own before. . . . I just hope everything goes well, because I would really like to do something with my life."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/justice/pennsylvania-disabled-chained/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

A 20-year-old woman whose aunt allegedly beat her and held her captive for a decade in the basement of a Philadelphia apartment building has sued the city, claiming her ordeal could have been avoided if officials had acted appropriately.
Beatrice Weston alleges the city failed to "properly train Department of Human Services workers in child placements," resulting in her being put in the custody of her aunt, Linda Weston, a convicted felon, a statement from her attorney Shanin Specter said. The complaint says the city of Philadelphia failed to release information about the aunt's criminal history.

I watched this original case as it unfolded. I have never sued anyone, but I hope this lady gets lots of money from the defendant.

How could they release this young woman into the accused's hands? There were tooooo MANY red flags ignored. :mad:

Unimaginable.
JMHO
fran

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/justice/pennsylvania-disabled-chained/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

A 20-year-old woman whose aunt allegedly beat her and held her captive for a decade in the basement of a Philadelphia apartment building has sued the city, claiming her ordeal could have been avoided if officials had acted appropriately.
Beatrice Weston alleges the city failed to "properly train Department of Human Services workers in child placements," resulting in her being put in the custody of her aunt, Linda Weston, a convicted felon, a statement from her attorney Shanin Specter said. The complaint says the city of Philadelphia failed to release information about the aunt's criminal history.

This poor kid. Bless her though as one of our local reporters interviewed her and she is a survivor. It's one thing to "hear" about the horrific injuries bestowed upond her, but to see it? She had her back to the camera the entire time, but her ear!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus that's a scar we can "see". What about this poor kids scars we can't see.

If they could hand her a kajillion dollars cash that wouldn't be enough money.

Praying for this courageous young lady. :please:

FWIW my friend lives smack around the corner from that basement and calls me last night saying "How, how could nobody have known? I feel so horrible." I reminded her how that block is and this neighborhood is so transient anymore. Nobody knows nobody. I hate that!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back