PA PA - Hyun Jong "Cindy" Song, 21, State College, 1 Nov 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The date of her disappearance unhappily coincides with a supposed pattern of offending now associated with Jesse Matthew from Charlottesville, Va. Mr. Matthew had contacts in Pennsylvania and would have been around 18 years old at the time.

The date of her disappearance unhappily coincides with a supposed pattern of offending now associated with Jesse Matthew from Charlottesville, Va. Mr. Matthew had contacts in Pennsylvania and would have been around 18 years old at the time.

Actually, she disappeared in the early morning hours of 11/1/01 (or potentially later).

It is the same offending pattern: around the Halloween holiday. This thread concerns Cindy Song.

It is the same offending pattern: around the Halloween holiday. This thread concerns Cindy Song.

No, not really. The two victims were from the same city, as was Mathew. Neither of the putative victims were abducted near their residents. One went missing a fortnight before Halloween, while the other was six weeks prior to Halloween.

still missing: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/04/missing_persons_midstate_pa_be.html#13

screen-shot-2015-04-15-at-53613-pmpng-a64fd9435dab182a.png

No Cookies | The Mercury

This month marks 17 years since Song disappeared into the night.

Paul Weakley and Hugo Selenski are both serving life sentences for unrelated murders, and everyone close to Song at the time of her disappearance has been ruled out as a suspect. The sighting in Philadelphia has long been discounted, as have suggestions she took her own life, or ran away. Media interest in the case has dwindled to nothing, while the case remains open, with a frustrating lack of leads.

There is no body, no physical evidence, no witnesses, and no active suspects.

Meanwhile, 21 binders, filled with information on Cindy Song’s short life and her tragic disappearance sit in the office of Ferguson Township Police Detective Brian Sprinkle, slowly gathering dust.

Cindy Song Cold Case: What happened to the Halloween bunny?
Nov 24 2018
"She was studious, having moved from South Korea to America when she was 15, in order to further her schooling.

Therefore, she didn’t usually go out midweek. October 31, 2001 was an exception, however, being Halloween.

Song put together a bunny costume, complete with bunny ears, a pink top, and a white tennis skirt with a makeshift tail attached, and went with two female friends to Players Nite Club, a nearby spot popular with college students. The club was hosting a Halloween party, and Song and her friends drank and danced until 2am, when they went back to a house to play video games, before she was dropped home two hours later.

Her friend watched her walk towards her apartment complex, then drove off. This was the last time Song was seen alive.

c7185e438522fe8e269cd31c90450b9d

"This month marks 17 years since Song disappeared into the night.

Paul Weakley and Hugo Selenski are both serving life sentences for unrelated murders, and everyone close to Song at the time of her disappearance has been ruled out as a suspect. The sighting in Philadelphia has long been discounted, as have suggestions she took her own life, or ran away. Media interest in the case has dwindled to nothing, while the case remains open, with a frustrating lack of leads.

There is no body, no physical evidence, no witnesses, and no active suspects.

Meanwhile, 21 binders, filled with information on Cindy Song’s short life and her tragic disappearance sit in the office of Ferguson Township Police Detective Brian Sprinkle, slowly gathering dust."

Hyun Jong Song – The Charley Project
Hyun Jong Song

• hyun_jong_song_1.jpg
  • hyun_jong_song_2.jpg
  • hyun_jong_song_3.jpg
  • hyun_jong_song_4.jpg
Song, circa 2001
  • Missing Since 11/01/2001
  • Missing From State College, Pennsylvania
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 02/25/1980 (38)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1 - 5'3, 110 - 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A rabbit costume, which consisted of a pink sleeveless shirt with a rabbit design imprinted on the front, rabbit ears, a white tennis skirt with a cotton bunny tail attached to the back, brown suede leather knee-high boots and a red knee-length hooded parka. Song is shown wearing the rabbit ears in one of the photographs above.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Asian female. Black hair, brown eyes. Song's ears and navel are pierced. Her nickname is Cindy. Her name may be spelled "Hyun Jung," "Hyunjong" or "Hyunjung." She was born in South Korea."

I checked the weather for State College on 11/01/01. It was around 43 degrees. I could not imagine someone wearing a skimpy costume not putting of a pair of jeans or something before going out.

Why would she take off her eyelashes but leave the rabbit ears on, especially when going to a store?

I think I've located the apartment complex (they may have renamed the street). If so, it doesn't border a major street. It isn't that likely that this would be someone passing her and be a crime of opportunity.

Something just doesn't seem right about the scenario.

Recently saw the UM segment featured the disappearance of Cindy Song. As with all MP cases where no trace of the person is ever found, this is unsettling. What adds another layer of creepiness is that presumably whatever happened here - occurred right after Halloween.

Since there was no sign of a struggle at her apt. & since nothing appeared to be missing from there, etc. - it appears that she may have gone to an local all-night market after her friends dropped her off (after clubbing & hanging out Halloween night) - as she had been known to do. If so, then she was almost certainly abducted somewhere between the market & home (either going to or coming back from). From the segment, it wasn't clear if she drove there, or walked - no car was mentioned here, however.

There was also no mention of a bf/romantic interest here. I suspect that if there had been a bf (casual or otherwise) that friends (or the authorities) knew about, it would have been brought up in the info. re: the case - and nothing like this has been mentioned.

I somehow doubt the woman in distress that was seen in Philadelphia's Chinatown (several days later) was CS. I think she was probably abducted in the general area where she lived in the early morning hours of 11/01.

I know that HS admitted to killing her, but I almost discount this since there is no evidence & no body. Why someone would admit to committing a heinous crime they didn't do is beyond me - but, for some reason he doesn't sound credible.

There was also no mention of a bf/romantic interest here. I suspect that if there had been a bf (casual or otherwise) that friends (or the authorities) knew about, it would have been brought up in the info. re: the case - and nothing like this has been mentioned.

In some of the news articles it’s stated that Cindy had been in a relationship and actually lived with her boyfriend until about a month before her disappearance, when they broke up. Apparently Cindy was quite heartbroken over the whole thing, but her friends said she was seeing a therapist and working on healing from the experience. I don’t think anyone, loved ones or law enforcement, believe that the ex-boyfriend was responsible, or that the break-up in someway contributed to her disappearance.

Cindy’s disappearance is definitely unsettling. I live across the street from a 24 hour convenience store and I think about all the times I walked up there at night, and how someone can vanish in a blink of an eye that night. Assuming Cindy was headed to a nearby mini mart that night when she was abducted. There are so few clues to tell us what happened that night. Personally, I think Cindy stepped out that night for whatever reason — probably to get something from the store — and someone either tricked her or forced her into their car, and she was gone in an instant. I really, really hope she is found somehow. Or that someone who knows something talks. Seeing her mother and her friends on Unsolved Mysteries was so heartbreaking. They deserve to know what happened and Cindy deserves justice.

In some of the news articles it’s stated that Cindy had been in a relationship and actually lived with her boyfriend until about a month before her disappearance, when they broke up. Apparently Cindy was quite heartbroken over the whole thing, but her friends said she was seeing a therapist and working on healing from the experience. I don’t think anyone, loved ones or law enforcement, believe that the ex-boyfriend was responsible, or that the break-up in someway contributed to her disappearance.
rsbm

Link to article re: boyfriend
Have You Seen Me? Case #2 – Cindy Song | WTAJ - www.wearecentralpa.com

Just dropping in to see if there are any updates. This case is just so cold. Even the Charley Project page hasn't been updated since 2008.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back