PA - infant Leon Katz murdered, twin injured, allegedly by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SBM
Yes, it’s the fact that the skull fracture was so severe as to be fatal, that gives stern pause. Unless at that age it can happen by accident. I have heard numerous accounts, even within my own family, of infants rolling off changing tables and beds, and although distressing, the outcomes were not fatal. As you state, we need more details , information, and expert opinions.
Many years ago I read a terribly tragic story of a very premature baby whom had fought for life. The baby girl now being at home, but obviously very delicate still, was at a nursery whilst her mother was picking up a sibling I assume when a 3 yr old child unrelated to the family picked her up and dropped her. Sadly the baby girl died. Although the baby girl may have been more delicate than baby Leon, it does show a baby can die from a low height.

Many years ago I read a terribly tragic story of a very premature baby whom had fought for life. The baby girl now being at home, but obviously very delicate still, was at a nursery whilst her mother was picking up a sibling I assume when a 3 yr old child unrelated to the family picked her up and dropped her. Sadly the baby girl died. Although the baby girl may have been more delicate than baby Leon, it does show a baby can die from a low height.
That’s tragic, and does indeed indicate what might happen in a fall from a low height.

We've discussed this before. Her attorney stated she has no prior criminal history. If you read the Prosecution's reasoning you'll understand that they're going to try to use her convictions in this case and call them prior as reasoning to go for a DP sentence.

MOO, it's not ethical. They should've have stated their goals to the public making her sound like a hardened criminal already. As far as we know, no criminal history and a dedicated student in town for less than a week. Everybody deserves a fair trial and presumed innocence until proven guilty.
A BIG Thank you, @Curious Me, for continuing to make sure this bit of misinformation about NV having a felonious history (she doesn't) not grow legs and run! I love how you're staying right on top of that. So on behalf of all of us...

1725636765988.png

Source

I am starting to believe she is just a terrible babysitter combined with atrocious luck - one in a 100 million. I want there to be guilt, someone to blame, but it just doesn’t add up. My gut tells me the first baby was somehow injured on its own, and the second was a terrible accident. I think they will find her guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Hello, I asked this before, but maybe I was not clear. What if NV goes to a jury trial and they find her not guilty. She will be let go, and whoever killed that twin will be walking around. If she did it, that's it, no double jeopardy. If the parents did it, they will continue to care for the twin that is alive with no consequence. How can that be? Kind of like OJ, found not guilty and whoever killed those two people is just walking free (unless it was OJ and he is dead now). This confuses me; why don't they look for whomever is a murdered, rather than give it up when the main suspect is found not guilty? Thanks. Katt

I am starting to believe she is just a terrible babysitter combined with atrocious luck - one in a 100 million. I want there to be guilt, someone to blame, but it just doesn’t add up. My gut tells me the first baby was somehow injured on its own, and the second was a terrible accident. I think they will find her guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
I’ve had the same intuition. Don’t know why, I just do.

Hello, I asked this before, but maybe I was not clear. What if NV goes to a jury trial and they find her not guilty. She will be let go, and whoever killed that twin will be walking around. If she did it, that's it, no double jeopardy. If the parents did it, they will continue to care for the twin that is alive with no consequence. How can that be? Kind of like OJ, found not guilty and whoever killed those two people is just walking free (unless it was OJ and he is dead now). This confuses me; why don't they look for whomever is a murdered, rather than give it up when the main suspect is found not guilty? Thanks. Katt
Because NV would likely still be guilty of some kind of involuntary reckless negligence. Just not intentional abuse and murder. She would still be the guilty party, but of much lesser, involuntary behavior.

If a jury found her not guilty of murder, they were not convinced that she did it on purpose. I am unsure how it works at trial, but a jury may have the option to find her guilty of a lesser charge. If not, then she could be acquitted, like OJ and Casey Anthony were.

The state charged NV, they have evidence against her only; there would be no reason to continue to look for another suspect. She admitted to the baby being injured while in her care. She says it was an accident. The hospital said the fatal injury was intentional and abuse, so the prosecutor is charging her with murder.

It is one of the dangers of potential overcharging, IMO. The state will need to prove BARD to a jury that LK’s death was not accidental, was intentional, and that NV was the culprit. As mentioned by others, manslaughter and/or negligence might be the more accurate charges.

We will need to hear more at trial - if the case goes there. A plea could happen instead. Or charges might be dropped upon review of evidence. I don’t think that’s likely, though.

jmo

If not, then she could be acquitted, like OJ and Casey Anthony were.
If this occurs, then as @katsrfun has said, it would open the question of who harmed both infants, one fatally? But because she was alone with Leon, it would seem counterintuitive to look at the parents, unless it could be shown that the injury occurred earlier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel M
Back