GUILTY PA - Jessica Padgett, 32, Northampton County, 21 November 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How terrible is it that his wife is going to be essentially bankrupt because her husband is going to use all their assets to defend himself for killing her daughter and then having sex with her dead body and filming it all to top it off?

It's not just terrible, it's absolutely wrong IMO.

A defense attorney is not defending a criminal's actions, they are simply defending the persons rights allowable by law. There is no emotion in it. It's not what you see on TV.
Well even on TV, most are trying to get their client off by using all sorts of means. When we are seeing a trial live, like Jodi Arias', they were trashing Travis and he was dead.

[Notes from presser - http://www.ustream.tv/lehighvalleylive-com]

Gregory Robert Graf (born 1961) has been charged with criminal homicide. Motive appears to be related to a sexual assault or an attempted assault.

Injury to the back of Jessica's head. Autopsy and sexual assault protocol will be performed.

No indication of any past relationship abnormalities between Stepfather and Jessica. Jessica had met Stepfather when she was 12 years old.

Mother and step-father lived at the residence and operated a fencing business. Mother was out of town when incident occurred.

Search warrant was served on the property yesterday. Consent search had been refused the day before.

Body was found today. On Covered Bridge Road (Allen Township). Behind a shed at the Stepfather and mother's residence.

Firearm activity occurred within the house.

Stepfather made incriminating statement this morning, admitting to killing Jessica with a firearm. He provided indication of where her body could be found.

Video shows Jessica's car being driven into dollar store parking lot. Video was from some distance, so driver could not be identified. Driver appeared to be larger than Jessica. There was information that Mr. Graf had dropped his car by a car repair shop near the dollar store earlier that day. Another video showed his truck leaving where it had been placed earlier in the day just after Jessica's car was parked in the dollar store lot.

Theory is that Stepfather parked truck near repair shop, told an employee of his that he was getting car work done on his truck and asked to be picked up. No evidence Stepfather contacted car repair shop for any work. Within a minute of Jessica's car being parked at the dollar store, Stepfather is seen on video driving his truck away from where it was parked near the repair shop earlier that day.

No serious criminal history of Stepfather known at this time.

Time frame of incident seems to be less than 20-30 minutes.

Sexual nature of case will be examined, especially after autopsy results are back.

Sexual assault or rape could be an aggravating factor for further or increased charges, but the autopsy results are needed first.

Stepfather had participated in the searches for Jessica.

[End 4:22PM EST]

Edited for clarity.

Quoting notes of the press conference to point out a couple things:
Jessica was killed on Nov. 21
GG denied a consent search of his property on Nov. 24
A warrant to search the property was served Nov. 25
GG admitted to killing Jessica Nov. 26
GG had helped search for Jessica.

IMO, that is not someone willing to cooperate with authorities as some people are suggesting. He spoke with officials at least twice before admitting anything. He denied their search without a warrant (which is anyone's right and I will defend it to my death, but if someone in your family is missing and was supposedly coming to your property...you let LE search, heck, you ASK them to search your property ASAP!). He did not admit to anything or lead LE to her body when they executed the warrant. IMO they probably came at him the next morning with evidence they found in the house, and then, finally, he admitted to his horrendous act. I haven't read anything to suggest he turned the video over, it was found on his computer.

I'm still concerned that the had other victims. Or at least, his behavior after this horrific act does not make me feel like it is any more likely that this was his first similar crime.

^ You are absolutely right sophiebelle. In the televised, more sensational cases this can be the case. Ever see the musical "Chicago"? Richard Gere's character is a prime example of a cocky, just wants a win attorney. Did Casey Anthony's attorney really think she was innocent? But he did his job and the jury made their decision based on the LAW. How about OJ? At some point during those trials we may have all thought for a second maybe they are innocent. These cases turned into shows with egos dancing to "give em the old razzle dazzle". Most cases are very boring formalities. Our justice system works and it doesn't work. These cases presented evidence of possible innocence or rather a lack of evidence proving guilt without a reason doubt. That is not the case with Greg Graf. There is no show or question.
I will be shocked if he doesn't plead guilty. But I completely understand how one would question how the he** would anyone even begin to defend him. In this case I agree you just can't. But my point was most of the time it's not like on TV.

I just found Jessica's thread last night and wanted to read it all before posting . Just finished reading and now am speachless.......
:fainted:

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...ather-murder-more-charges-20141208-story.html

Investigators believe they have seized "multiple items" that could contain potential DNA evidence, including from Graf's home and his truck, Padgett's car and her body, and from Chrin Bros. Sanitary Landfill, the filing said.

The landfill is newly released info.

Thanks for finding and sharing this article!

I wonder what he tossed out? The gun? Video cameras? I am very pleased with LE's diligence in seeking justice for Jessica and her family! They are doing all they can to keep this monster under lock and key for the rest of his pitiful life.

I wonder what he tossed out? The gun? Video cameras? I am very pleased with LE's diligence in seeking justice for Jessica and her family! They are doing all they can to keep this monster under lock and key for the rest of his pitiful life.

Maybe her clothes?

I just found Jessica's thread last night and wanted to read it all before posting . Just finished reading and now am speachless.......
:fainted:

Yes, we all are. As Alice Cooper said, "Welcome to my nightmare."

I have been thinking about Jessica's kids, and any other kids in the family...how in the world do they even try to explain this to them? I think Jessica's youngest is too young to understand anything except Mommy is gone, but the older kids...how do you tell them Mommy is gone because Grandpa killed her???

Me personally, I would speak of it often and tell an age appropriate version so that one day it doesn't come as a shocking surprise. I wouldn't refer to him as a grandfather to her children. Just that a family member was very sick and although they loved mommy they did something very bad. Then as they grow, they did something that hurt mommy that caused her death, then at the right age explain there are people with mental issues and mom fell victim to his sickness. It will be a process of strategic wording.
It's almost like explaining where babies come from, start small and add details as they grow. But in my opinion something like this should never be dropped on anyone at any age.

Me personally, I would speak of it often and tell an age appropriate version so that one day it doesn't come as a shocking surprise. I wouldn't refer to him as a grandfather to her children. Just that a family member was very sick and although they loved mommy they did something very bad. Then as they grow, they did something that hurt mommy that caused her death, then at the right age explain there are people with mental issues and mom fell victim to his sickness. It will be a process of strategic wording.
It's almost like explaining where babies come from, start small and add details as they grow. But in my opinion something like this should never be dropped on anyone at any age.

I think it is super problematic to tell children that someone loved mommy but then they killed her. That presents a very warped idea of love and proper familial relationships, imo.

Well for years and years she considered him a second father. These children know and love their step grandfather. How would you explain it? I certainly wouldn't say to a child that a man they loved hated your mother and wanted to hurt her. I am saying the truth is what I would tell my children. He loved her and then he got sick.
p.s. I've had to tell my children about a family members murder. It's scary and awful. But they deserve to know the truth and as they grow older I will give more detail little by little.

I think it is super problematic to tell children that someone loved mommy but then they killed her. That presents a very warped idea of love and proper familial relationships, imo.

That's what I'm talking about. They can't very well say "it turned out Grandpa G was evil and he murdered your mom." And they're going to have a warped idea of love and proper familial relationships simply because their "Grandpa" killed their mother, and there's no way around that truth.

I totally agree that it shouldn't be kept secret for them to find out in a shocking way later in life. In today's world that is nearly impossible anyway.

It just bothers me that there's no way to explain the inexplicable. Poor kids.

I'd wondered if it was condoms. :(

I'm starting to wonder if the DA's office might not have something planned on the side that hasn't become evident yet. It seems like they keep releasing all of these "mini reports" to the press. In dribs and drabs, here and there, little details not previously mentioned. As if they are intentionally keeping this current in the press, and it makes me wonder why. I've never seen them do this before. There have been some equally heinous crimes in this area (not equally disgusting and taboo, but equally as evil, corrupt, and dark) and they NEVER got as much continuous press attention as this. This DA is pretty hard-hitting. When he wants someone taken down, he's generally pretty quick, harsh, and efficient about this. I'm wondering if they are doing this because there may be suspicions and investigations going on yet into other crimes (or victims) and by keeping this case constantly in the news, it's sort of buying them time, keeping the public aghast, until they can drop another bombshell. I hope not.

I had my own experience with this DA several years ago. I was the victim of a crime, a robbery, and LE and the DA's office were all over this guy like a fly on you-know-what. I could never understand why they jumped to action so quickly and harshly for a robbery. Their investigation and evidence gathering was *impeccable* and numerous officers even showed up for the guy's trial. They really, really wanted this guy for some reason, my case was a convenient platform for them to nail him. And nail him they did. (he got 8 to 13 years in state prison).

I don't know what to think. I'm just wondering if they are still trying to nail GG with even more, and I think the DA is pretty irate that he couldn't legally pursue the DP.

Is anyone good at looking up whether or not the 9th hearing happened?
I read an article and now I cannot find it that said GG did not have an attorney yet. The docket still shows the 9th as hearing date. Did that happen? Also the arrest affidavit is public record and good sleuthers that can find it?

I can't even begin to imagine how you'd explain this to Jessica's kids. You can't say "he loved mommy" then drop this on them because yes, it distorts love into this utterly horrifying thing that should be feared and avoided at all costs. At the same time however, you can't say "he was just a pervert" because obviously none of them are going to remember him that way and when you say that, they call into question their own understanding of "how could I have not seen this in grandpa?" (even though they might not think of it in those terms).

Not only will they find out "sooner or later" it really wouldn't shock me at all to find out the older ones already know. It's kind of disturbing how fast information spreads online, even with the youngest users.

I think it's critical that these kids be involved in some type of trauma/grief counseling ASAP. Someone trained to deal with kids in these very situations and helps them process fact from feeling.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back