PA PA - Joey Offutt, 33, State College, July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a few questions and am not sure if anyone can answer them.

When did Joey live in State College? Was she employed while she lived there? Who did she live there with? Did her children live there as well?

So glad this thread is active again!

As I said in 2012, I believe Joey developed severe postpartum psychosis, which resulted in her harming the baby. I then believe she succumbed to the elements in a fugue state afterwards.

That is a good theory Glabin, but...

The location where Joey's car was found is a VERY heavily populated area of State College. My husband and I had a condo about 2 blocks away. There are MANY high density apartment, condo and townhouse complexes there. There is also a school of technology, the local YMCA as well as a decent sized shopping center with a larger grocery store. There is a bus stop in that area on Waupelani Dr. that could have 25-30 people waiting at it on an average morning. One of the selling points in that area is that buses run frequently and parking at the university is expensive and at a premium. That area has also been in a state of high development for an extended period of time- at least the past ten years. It is not rural by any stretch, and it would be long walk to a secluded enough area for someone to go unnoticed. I would think that if she had gotten on the bus or had been at the bus stop, someone would have remembered her.

Who knew she had lived in State College previously? Did she live there with someone else? How long before she disappeared had she lived there? Had she been back in that area recently?

I have a few questions and am not sure if anyone can answer them.

When did Joey live in State College? Was she employed while she lived there? Who did she live there with? Did her children live there as well?
From what I understand, Joey met Alexis while living in Virginia, and she had the oldest daughter from a previous marriage.
They then moved in together in an apartment in State College, PA. Joey had talked about taking classes at Penn State, but I believe she either dropped out or never really took the classes.
The relationship, while living together at the Nittany Apartments (State College) apparently was rocky and they split. At this moment I do not have the dates, but a time line can be constructed by the various articles about the case.
According to the ID Disappeared show, Joey's mother bought the home in Sykesville, PA for Joey and her children so that they could "have a stable home" whether she married Alexis or not.
All I know is that most articles state Joey had difficulties remaining employed, but I did not find any particulars regarding exactly where she had worked.

http://*************.net/index.php?topic=4087.0;prev_next=prev
Joey was also a member of an Internet group devoted to single mothers. From February 2005 to July 2007 she made 525 posts to the group. Many of her early posts discussed the rocky nature of her relationship with her boyfriend. In a March 2005 post, she talked about getting a protection from abuse (PFA) order against him. In subsequent posts, she alluded to the fact that there was some danger of physical harm for both her and her kids. She also discussed the fact that she was pregnant.

The following month, she wrote that her daughter had been born on May 10, 2005. She continued to posts over the next several months, and then in January 2006, she again posted about problems she was having with her boyfriend. She alleged that his son had sexually assaulted her 5-year-old daughter and that as a result, her daughter had been removed from her home, and she had to fight to get her back.

By March 2007, Joey's posts were a little more optimistic. She said she was working through the problems she had been having with her boyfriend and although she was not ready to completely trust him, she was hopeful that they could work things out because they were going to be having another child together, a boy this time. The following month, Joey wrote that her boyfriend was a former drug addict and felon, but that having children had changed him.

Joey posted again in May 2007. Again, she appeared optimistic that the relationship had taken a turn for the better and that her boyfriend was going to propose to her. Joey's last post to the group was made on June 5, 2007. In it she wrote about the birth of her son, Lex, and promised to post pictures of him in the near future. Unfortunately, that was the last time Joey Lynn Offutt was seen either online or off.

Some interesting statements about Joey and her internet postings - see above link

Just a few other facts I have found for anyone interested:
-Joey grew up in VA
-She attended Sheppard University in W VA to study journalism, but dropped out after one year.
-In 1994 she married first husband and moved to Texas, gave birth to first child
-The relationship was volatile, and Joey left him to return to VA in 1996.
-Apparently, Joey moved often - spending time in State College PA, Philadelphia, and VA
-When her daughters were age 2 (from Alexis) and 9 ( former husband) her mother Ms. Hallett purchased the Syskesville home for them.

I am not sure how much of my above post quoted from scaredmonleys.net is fact - a lot of bad descriptions of Alexis that should be looked up before believing. Just because someone posted it does not mean it is true. But it does make one wonder since there are internet postings from Joey herself that makes me think perhaps there are skeletons in the boyfriends closet that bear researching....ALL IMHO of course!

Thanks so much for all that information SusanB. Because of the age of this thread, many of the links to MSM articles are dead when I click on them.

So one of the last people to have contact with Joey was the BF. And it sounds like it was not a pleasant encounter due to the confrontation over bathing the baby.

And her car was found at a place where they both lived together... With the seat in a position that she could not have been in to drive... Back very squarely into a space not in a way she would have left it...

Was cause of death ever stated on the baby? Was there ever a timeline given pertaining to the fire and when the baby actually died? Was Joey ever described as suffering from postpartum? If so, by whom? Did the BF say he thought she was depressed?

I'm not sure I can believe Joey killed her baby. And I don't think she walked away or took her own life.

The cause of death of the baby was "undetermined." But I believe it WAS ascertained that the baby was dead prior to the fire.
The only person who I can find that stated Joey had PPD and he also said she was on medication for it was Alexis in the ID Disappeared show. Later in the same show, LE stated that they found NO proof of joey being diagnosed with PPD - i.e. no psychiatric records, no bottles of medication in the home, no prescription from any nearby pharmacy, etc. That being said, IMHO she DID have PPD, albeit untreated and no "official" record.
According to her family, she did suffer from some mental instability, and her mother said she functioned at about the age level of a 14 years old (she said that is what the psychiatrist determined). There are quite a few reports of her irrational behavior that included sudden rages, depression, episodes where she would not speak, answer the phone or door if she was upset, inability to form relationships, possible bipolar.
So to me it does not seem so far-fetched that she would suffer from profound PPD especially since the boyfriend criticized her and seemed marginally supportive at best. Also she lived hours away from her mother and family, also had no friends, was not receiving counseling or psychiatric help, lived alone ( with the children).

Did she have any history of PPD with her previous births?

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/723-missing-woman-joey-offutt-pa-07122007/
A treasure trove of personal info about Joey in her own words! Below is an excerpt:
Besides her Yahoo profiles, Joey was a regular poster to the Yahoo group SingleMomsOnaMission: Resources, Support, Critical Information. From February 2005 to June 2007 she made a total of 525 posts to the group. Within them her life is an open book — nothing was too personal to post.

The relationship between Joey and Alexis appears to have been rocky. In a March 17, 2005 post she described some of the issues they had been dealing with.ÂÂ

"Entered my protection from abuse [PFA] against Alexis today and taking it to the courthouse tomorrow ... it will grant me temporary custody of our baby as well as be in control of his visitations, likewise financial responsibility, without having to depend on his timing. I am relieved, a little sad and at peace."

On April 6, 2005 Joey made a second post, explaining the reasons she filed for the PFA:
"I am eight months pregnant and have a six-year-old daughter. The father of our unborn daughter caused me to go into pre-term labor and since I had him served with a PFA order. It was a so very difficult decision for me because it meant I was choosing to raise two children as a Single MOM. In the PFA I stated how he can contact a safe mutual party by telephone if or whenever he wants to know about doctor appointments, delivery and/or future visitations. Likewise it is helping me set up the visits to be supervised since he tends to have a hard time with not being physical confrontative and shows no initiative in taking special precautions keeping young children away from his son."
Much more at the above link. After reading this, I am amazed that Alexis is not being actively pursued by LE. Do we even have his alibi for the night of the fire?

My final thought for the night:
IMHO, the BF is very involved. Either he killed the baby, killed Joey, and burned the house down to cover the tracks, or participated in the events.
By that I mean, possibly Joey accidentally or in PP psychosis killed the baby, told the BF who became enraged and killed Joey. I believe this occurred on July 5th, in the afternoon after Joey was seen walking with the stroller by the neighbor.
The hamburger meat sitting on the counter rotting was dated as being placed out July 5 (the maggots larvae). The BF kept coming to the house, leaving notes, etc for days for a cover story. He DID NOT call police - what?? You have your weeks old infant in the house and the mother does not answer the phone or door? Does not make sense in the regular world.
Finally, July 12th - the nurse met him at the house, she said police have to be notified. BF knew the gig was up. The house burned down that night- between 3-4 AM July 13. Of course, later that day was his interview with police, and of course, imagine his surprise to learn of the fire....
Now, what was done with Joey's body, I cannot begin to speculate. Also whether he got rid of her body shortly after July 5th, and left the baby's body there in the tub until the fire, or whether he dumped her body at the time of the fire, IDK.
Maybe he thought the baby's body might not be found since it was so small, and anyway it would look like Joey did it so he did not bother getting rid of the baby's body.
He started the fire, drove the red car (it was seen at 3AM in the drivewway, but by 4AM it was gone) to Nittany Gardens apartments in State College and parked it. This would make it look like Joey was guilty of everything and ran away, since she knew those apartments.
Where is Joey's body? We need either the body or a confession here....

I agree with you 100% SusanB. I would not have put it any differently.

I agree also Susan. Your last comment is exactly my thoughts as well. There needs to be searchs as well as more pressure put on Alexis. Watching him on the Disappeared episode, I just wanted to scream at him bs!!

Jody deserves justice!

This is one of those cases that I have always come back to. It truly broke my heart, and the fact that Joey never really seemed to get the media attention she deserved always bothered me. I do think Alexis has something, if not everything to do with what happened to Joey and the baby. I also just don't understand how this case isn't solvable between the notes Alexis left, the neighbor saying they saw the vehicle there off and on, where the vehicle was parked, how it was parked and the seat position, the order in which the house was left (the meat being left on the counter), the not so coincidental timing of the house burning down and all the other evidence we are yet to be aware of.

I don't know if it bothered anyone else but I was struck (I think its the reason I feel so sadly for Joey) by the statement the mother had made on the Disappeared episode about the Psych. asking her what age mentally she thought Joey was and the mom responded by saying 15 (or 16) and I guess the Psych said the mom was giving her more credit than he was because he thought mentally she was 13-----I guess it seemed unnecessary and callous of the mother to be making the comment and to me when I think about Joey's case it's one the 1st things I remember.

Thank you for keeping this thread going! Joey Lynn was one of my best friends. Please keep posting and come check out our Facebook group Help Find Joey Lynn Offutt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for keeping this thread going! Joey Lynn was one of my best friends. Please keep posting and come check out our Facebook group Help Find Joey Lynn Offutt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wagon: to Websleuths, DeannaStarkey73!

It's great to have someone that knew Joey join us here! Thanks for joining us. :seeya:

Welcome to Websleuths. So sorry what you and the family are going through...

Deanna- Can you tell us about Joey? Did she suffer from PPD with any of her pregnancies? I remember reading somewhere that she was really proud of her house, which leads me to believe she would not burn it down. Was her relationship with her boyfriend volatile? How long did she live in State College? Who lived there with her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevewho
Back