PA - Kenzie Houk, 26, pregnant, murdered, Wampum, 20 Feb 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Newspapers: Open murder case for Pa. boy constitutional, but defense cites judge’s discretion

PITTSBURGH — Attorneys for three newspapers asked an appeals panel Tuesday to open the juvenile court trial of a boy who was just 11 when he was charged with killing his father’s pregnant fiancee with a shotgun blast.

But Jordan Brown’s attorney wants the same three-judge Superior Court panel to find that Lawrence County Judge John Hodge didn’t abuse his discretion last year under a law that allows judges to close trials for juveniles under 12.

.................... snip ............................

At the same time, Barber said, the attorney general is also responsible for defending and upholding state laws — including the one that allowed Hodge to order the trial closed.

Although the attorney general’s office had argued the trial should remain open, Barber told the appeals panel he believed the judge “properly exercised his discretion” in closing it.

A decision on the case isn’t expected for weeks or months.

full article at link ..................... http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...s-discretion/2012/01/10/gIQAdsPmoP_story.html

Jordan Brown Case: Attorneys seek teen’s release.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/opinion/x1267396015/Jordan-Brown-Case-Attorneys-seek-teen-s-release

IMO His right for a speedy trial has been constantly denied. Those delays are not caused by him and his attorneys, they are cause by newspapers who seeking for a sensational story. The clock is running, and if it’s not going to trial, his case might be closed on technical reasons. The DA said that the judge’s decision to close the trial for the public is the right decision even if they support an open trial.

Jordan Brown Case: Attorneys seek teen’s release.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/opinion/x1267396015/Jordan-Brown-Case-Attorneys-seek-teen-s-release

IMO His right for a speedy trial has been constantly denied. Those delays are not caused by him and his attorneys, they are cause by newspapers who seeking for a sensational story. The clock is running, and if it’s not going to trial, his case might be closed on technical reasons. The DA said that the judge’s decision to close the trial for the public is the right decision even if they support an open trial.

BBM

Sorry, but newspapers don't have the legal authority to delay trials.

However, when the defense files a motion to have the case transferred from adult to juvenile court, you can bet that's going to cause delays as the prosecution files objections and the case makes it way through the system.

Did you happen to catch this bit from the article you linked?
They noted the law states that if a petition is filed alleging a child to be dependent or delinquent, the court must schedule a hearing within 10 days of the filing or release him from custody if the hearing is not conducted within 10 days.

The defense claims the clock began running when Jordan’s case was transferred to juvenile court Aug. 23. A hearing was scheduled for Sept. 2, but when the defense requested additional time, it was rescheduled to Sept. 27.
That delay was clearly caused by the defense's request.

BBM

Sorry, but newspapers don't have the legal authority to delay trials.

However, when the defense files a motion to have the case transferred from adult to juvenile court, you can bet that's going to cause delays as the prosecution files objections and the case makes it way through the system.

Did you happen to catch this bit from the article you linked?
That delay was clearly caused by the defense's request.

That’s right of course!
But in this sad case the newspaper’s filled an appeal against the judge’s decision to close the trial. Yes, the delays to move the case back to juvenile court, where it should be all the time, were caused by the defense. The delay caused by the newspapers appeal is not caused by the defense. The trial date was set at 27th September last year, so imagine you sit innocent in a jail and a third party, absolutely not involved, caused a delay for your trial and you remain still in jail until somewhere in the future the appeal court makes it decision.
Again the newspapers don’t have the power to delay the trial but they can fill an appeal that causes a delay. And the newspapers are absolutely not involved in this case; it’s only for their sensational story only!

IMO

GSR in this case really has no evidentiary value, it was a home where guns were kept, it was a family that often shot guns and took part in shooting contests so GSR would be all over that house, on furniture, clothes, in hair and on skin of the whole family,

As an American, I agree with you in part. My parents are from Europe, Spain and Holland respectively, although my mom called Perth home for 7 years after WWII. She loved it and my uncle died a citizen of Australia. Anyhow, we have relatives in all three countries and visit all 3. Based on personal experience and accounts from newspapers, relatives and friends in those countries, the rates of homicides from guns and other gun-related deaths, in relation to the populations, is far, far lower than in the U.S. I remember one of my cousins coming here to visit from Spain and seeing six, that's right, six different shootings on the news in one day, on one of the first few days she was here. Poor girl was afraid to leave the house after that. It just doesn't happen in most of Europe like it does here.
But, is it the result of access to guns? Canada has more guns per person than the U.S. and yet, they too have far less guns deaths when comparing their population to ours.
I have a bachelor's degree in American Studies and know alot about the American psyche, culture and sociology of this nation. I think gun ownership and violence are part of our history. It's ingrained. The Western mythology of the tough, proud, self-sufficient, independent cowboy who only needs his gun and a horse and who cannot rely in government to solve his problems or keep his family safe, and who is not afraid of carnage, is part of the blood of the people here. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. So, I am against many gun control laws for the simple reason that it won't work here, IMO. It's a waste of time to try.

I think we should each be in charge of our own destiny in the matter. I do not believe in totalitarianism in any form. People will be responsible. People will be irresponsible. If they can't kill you with a gun, phsychos will find another way...................IMOO

Seems everyone is convicting this kid already. WHY is his dad proclaiming his innocence? I read that in the lates windstream or aol headlines today

Welcome!
Did you read the father of the boy did not stay for funeral visitation, he was all alone. A neighbor says he lost everyone he loed, and X wife (bio mom) dying of cancer...........sad
BUT WHY WASN"T THE AMMO LOCKED UP? Did boy sneak one in pocket?
Was the rest locked up? :furious:

Better question is WHY did he do it? The gun didnt' kill anyone without the operator..............

That is so terribly sad ! Is he defending his son? WHy?

He will get out soon enough. The most he could get in juvenile system is they can keep him until he is 21.

If not a phsycopath, maybve he's young and impressionable. Maybe juvi prison will do him good. We dont' really know how he was raised either. He may have never had any accountability for anything. He may have always gotten the short end of the stick. He's a kid, you know, "Woe is me" syndrome. NOt excusing the crime by no means. He may have had temporary insanity. Someone once said, "you'll do something in an instant that you'll regret the rest of your life". ANger and jealousy, hate are powerful. I just wish I knew more about his history. I feel so terrible for the father losing everyone he loves.......... well all the family.

I really was referring to how individuals interact with one another. Whether they were sincere or not, I think we used to be more polite and respectful to one another. What children saw in public tended to reflect the values most parents wanted their children to practice. The media makes some of the most offensive individuals celebrities. I agree, laws have become much more comprehensive in protecting and supporting children.

My first teaching job was in a small rural community of about 6,000 people. The first person I met was a ten year old boy that knocked on our door to sell us a newspaper. After we bought a copy, we noticed it was two days old. LOL -- we later discovered his mom serviced men in a run down hotel off the town square. The boy would sleep outside their room when his mom was working. Terrible situation. No social services to protect this child, but the principal of my school made sure the boy got to school each day, provided him with clothes, and made sure he had food. The boy did not want to leave his mother so everyone I knew filled in the gaps for him as best they could. The local convenience store gave him the day old newspapers to sell. Sadly, I have no idea what became of him.

Totally agree.

IN the 60's, children were seen and not heard, with the burning of the bra era, something happened to our society, we are not more civil and the children are mostly disrespectful of adults today than when I was growing up.

There will be no solace for the Houk family, regardless.

This boy was a child when the crime occurred. Locking him up forever will not bring the victims back.

I would prefer not to see the justice system twisted to fit the crime; as heinous as it was.

He must be tried first. We all must be accountable lest the world become worse than it is!

UBM

Although I don't have enough evidence to think the boy did this, you are correct that the presumption of innocence is not required by everyday people considering a case - it is only required by the jurors and judge who will formally hear the case.

It should be required........I'd hate to be prosecuted by society before I even got a fair trial. Of course we have our opinions but I dont agree with publicly bashing anyone when i dont' have all the facts. JMO! Thnx

I wonder if the did a gunshot residue test on him?

I haven't been following this case, but have heard of this kind of thing happening often, sometimes they shoot their sister/brother or friend even children younger than this.

True! When I was young, I sat with children and one girl had a new brother by then a year almost. She would do anything she could to hurt him, I had to watch real close. I've seen other cases with siblings and cousins who couldnt' be left alone together for fear the older one would harm the young....Pretty bad it can come to killing tho!!!

How do you know this baby wasnt wanted? and there isnt anything wrong with an 11 year old getting himself ready for school....so what she was living with her boyfriend they were engaged! cause ive lived with mine for 5 years now...and have no plans of getting married...ive been divorced 21 years and wont get married again
the other father why would he be there? he might be deceased or they are divorced
why are you being so hard on this family? if you want to be upset about them then be upset they had guns in the house..not that she was pregnant or the kids got themselves ready for school...

I think the underlying message is that there may be some disfunction of the family. I agree an 11 yr old can get him/herself ready and do their own laundry and help with little siblings. But we dont' really know the family routines. What could have triggered this? Was it ignored as some have suggested? What dysfuntion if any was there? Maybe just a split family, didnt I read the ex wife (presuming boys mother) was dying from cancer. I dont' know, there is no excuse for murder but I wonder where his head was or is he just plain psycho.

I just wanted to add that there is no jury. Only the judge will hear the evidence and decide. I personally do not think much of this judge. I am local. Do I think he did it, I don't know, I haven't heard all the evidence, just the gossip. Initially I said "he did it" right after hearing about it. Now I have to say I have some reasonable doubt surrounding the circumstances. I do feel for the father. He has lost everything. He wants to believe in Jordan's innocence. And I know the Houk's truly believe in Jordan's guilt, and I feel for them too. If he did this, I think getting out at 21 is too good for him, but the question in my mind in "if". Just my 2 cents and my own opinion.

A jury heard how a 4-year-old girl came out of her house screaming after she was allegedly shot by her 11-year-old would-be brother.

Jordan Brown, now 14, is charged in the February 2009 shotgun deaths of his father’s pregnant fiancée Kenzie Houk and her unborn child.

The judge closed the trial to media and all but immediate family members because of the boy's age when Ms Houk died.

Only glimpses of testimony were relayed as those relatives emerged from the courtroom in New Castle, Pennsylvania.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...11-goes-trial-Pennsylvania.html#ixzz1rlHoP3AD

http://www.timesonline.com/news/pol...cle_c3514110-2eaf-5794-93f8-3a46aaafcc12.html

NEW CASTLE -- After more than three years of motions, hearings, counter-motions, delays and decisions, the legal system is prepared to pass judgment Friday on 14-year-old murder suspect Jordan Brown.

Lawrence County Judge John Hodge will issue a decision at 2 p.m. Senior Deputy Attorney General Anthony Krastek, who is prosecuting the case, said Hodge will report what he deems to be the facts in the case and issue a determination of whether Brown is delinquent -- the equivalent of a guilty verdict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back