PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Highly unusual for a defendant in a capital murder case not to be present in court for their arraignment.
It could be about control. We know people described her as being rigid. Being in jail is all about people taking away your choices. Refusing to come to an arraignment could be her trying to control what she can about the situation. But I agree, it's not a good look. It shows contempt for the court and for the victims' family.

MOO

It could be about control. We know people described her as being rigid. Being in jail is all about people taking away your choices. Refusing to come to an arraignment could be her trying to control what she can about the situation. But I agree, it's not a good look. It shows contempt for the court and for the victims' family.

MOO
This could be it or perhaps she is decompensating mentally? Was her mental state mentioned at the arraignment? MOOO.

This is upsetting. From today. WHY are these accused allowed to "sit this one out".... again and again?

"Ms. Virzi waived her preliminary hearing last month, and she was formally arraigned on the charges against her Friday. She was not in court for the arraignment. Several supporters of the Katz family were present."

Also it mentions "The Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office will seek the death penalty ...."
She did appear in court last month but waived the hearing.

California woman accused of killing friend's newborn in Pittsburgh makes court appearance​

Adam Montgomery didn't have to attend the entire trial for killing his own daughter. He was forced to attend the sentencing hearing.
And depending on where you are, some don't have to attend the sentencing, either. I know the British system is different, but I know there was an uproar when Letby refused to attend her first sentencing. People were petitioning parliament to try to change the law to force convicted people to attend their sentencing.

I think people get angry when they learn that no, there isn't something in the law that compels defendants to be there in person for hearings and trials and witness testimony and impact statements. In a lot of places, they can't be forced to actually be in the courtroom.

MOO

And depending on where you are, some don't have to attend the sentencing, either. I know the British system is different, but I know there was an uproar when Letby refused to attend her first sentencing. People were petitioning parliament to try to change the law to force convicted people to attend their sentencing.

I think people get angry when they learn that no, there isn't something in the law that compels defendants to be there in person for hearings and trials and witness testimony and impact statements. In a lot of places, they can't be forced to actually be in the courtroom.

MOO

I'd think they'd want to just for a change of scenery and possibly better meals.

I'd think they'd want to just for a change of scenery and possibly better meals.
Depends on where they're coming from. They bused Letby from the prison she was housed in every day, I think. At least an hour or two there, same back. Probably shackled the whole time. Then sitting there all day listening to all the witnesses lining up to talk about all the evidence they have for what you did. For months. And you just have to sit there quietly and lump it.

I can see why, if you had the option, you might just want to nope out of it all.

MOO

This is upsetting. From today. WHY are these accused allowed to "sit this one out".... again and again?

"Ms. Virzi waived her preliminary hearing last month, and she was formally arraigned on the charges against her Friday. She was not in court for the arraignment. Several supporters of the Katz family were present."​

Also it mentions "The Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office will seek the death penalty ...."
Death Penalty case! The news article cites other similar cases, one in particular where the defendant was facing a DP sentence, and took a plea deal accepting a sentence of LWOP. I'm guessing that's what they're moving eventually towards offering her a plea deal.

August 23, 2024

Police said Ms. Virzi had no “plausible explanation” for the severity of Leon’s injuries. She told them he’d been acting normally and was sitting in his bouncer seat when she fell asleep for a time, according to the complaint. She awoke and went to the kitchen to get a bottle, she said, when she heard the baby screaming.

She said she found Leon lying on his left side on the floor with a large bump on his head. Detectives wrote in the complaint that it is about 18 inches from the tallest point of the bouncer seat to the floor.

Doctors told investigators the injured twin, Ari, had small scratches on both sides of his face, two bruises below his belly button and swelling, bruising, redness and scratches to his genitals, according to the complaint. Medical professionals said the injuries to both boys were unnatural and indicative of abuse.

Ms. Virzi told police she was the one who spotted the injuries to the other twin and alerted the parents. She said infant scratched his own face when he flailed as she was putting him in his car seat, according to the complaint.​

Last edited:
Pennsylvania law includes 18 aggravating factors that prosecutors can cite in their pursuit of the death penalty. They range from the victim being a law enforcement officer or a judge to the crime involving kidnapping or torture.

In the case of Ms. Virzi, the DA’s office cited four: the defendant committed the killing while in the perpetration of a felony; the offense was committed by means of torture; the victim was under 12 years old; and the defendant has a significant history of felony convictions involving the use or threat of violence.

Although Ms. Virzi does not have a criminal history, if a jury finds her guilty of the charges against her in this case, those convictions will count as a criminal history for the purpose of sentencing.

You’re right. I guess I’m so used to the idea of plea deals — to save costs and to ensure some type of conviction— that I forgot that they can be withheld or denied.
See image below from articles about the effects of excessive plea bargaining in the U.S. court system:

Thank You for posting this ^^^ in reply to my question some time ago now, @SMK777. I've read up on it some. Not sure I saw this as a DP case. There is something that bothers me about plea deals, too.. I wonder if NV will now feel backed into a corner to want to avoid a trial and take a deal if offered. All thoughts and opinions here.

Reeling from the facts that she was such a dedicated student then presto chango she's on a brief vacation, sudden bizarre crimes against babies, and now she's facing a DP trial. Wish we could hear more about the impressions people in her life had about her at school and the spin class she taught, and if she ever was around or babysat babies before. What's the connection with babies bringing on her apparent wrath? MOO, the charges for her alleged actions are just so bizarre.

Last edited:

Thank You for posting this ^^^ in reply to my question some time ago now, @SMK777. I've read up on it some. Not sure I saw this as a DP case. There is something that bothers me about plea deals, too.. I wonder if NV will now feel backed into a corner to want to avoid a trial and take a deal if offered. All thoughts and opinions here.

Reeling from the facts that she was such a dedicated student then presto chango she's on a brief vacation, sudden bizarre crimes against babies, and now she's facing a DP trial. Wish we could hear more about the impressions people in her life had about her at school and the spin class she taught, and if she ever cared for babies before. MOO, the charges for her alleged actions are just so bizarre.

Yes, it’s known in jurisprudence that plea deals are often a form of coercion, and circumvent due process. This case is very strange.

I also feel confused with this case.

With the baby who who had genital injuries, articles have said "abuse". I tend to think of abuse being something longer term/ongoing. Did NV repeatedly babysit or have access to the babies? Or was it a one time thing? If once, how would bruising have occurred so quickly?

It all seems so odd and I have to wonder what made LE feel certain that NV is the perp vs. other adults with access to the babies?

(I apologize if these items have already been addressed. I have tried to read this thread periodically but may have missed posts.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saygoodbyetohollywood
Back