PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pennsylvania law includes 18 aggravating factors that prosecutors can cite in their pursuit of the death penalty. They range from the victim being a law enforcement officer or a judge to the crime involving kidnapping or torture.

In the case of Ms. Virzi, the DA’s office cited four: the defendant committed the killing while in the perpetration of a felony; the offense was committed by means of torture; the victim was under 12 years old; and the defendant has a significant history of felony convictions involving the use or threat of violence.

Although Ms. Virzi does not have a criminal history, if a jury finds her guilty of the charges against her in this case, those convictions will count as a criminal history for the purpose of sentencing.

Bolding the above and bumping this comment in light of the confusion about prior felonies.

I don’t know if there is precedent for considering the other charges to be “history” for sentencing purposes in that same case, but if so that seems like some creative lawyering or a poorly written law. Considering that a significant history of felonies would be redundant of “committing the killing while in the perpetration of a felony” and IMO would be an improper way of making one factor count as two.

Clipped by me and agree completely... a 6 week old is like a squirmy piece of sausage in a blanket. They barely can move themselves.

DM says:

'The defendant has a significant history of felony convictions involving the use or threat of violence to the person. The victim was a child under 12 years of age.'

Further details of these previous convictions were not shared. A public records check for Virzi only showed up details of the charges she faces over Leon's killing. "

This means there is a REAL history. A "significant" history. Of FELONY convictions. To a victim (of unknown age?)

......That have been cleanly covered up or erased from the records possibly due to daddy's prestigious titles.

When teaching spin/cyclebar classes, I guess one doesn't need to be livescan fingerprinted? Since kids don't take those classes? I know Lifeguards and Camp Counselors do....
I’m stunned, because her defense attorney kept insisting that she had no prior criminal history? I took that seriously, along with her being a PhD candidate.

So let me get this straight:

She has in her past a felony conviction for threats of violence against a child under the age of 12??

This changes everything…

Last edited:
I’m stunned, because her defense attorney kept insisting that she had no prior criminal history? I took that seriously, along with her being a PhD candidate.

So let me get this straight:

She has in her past a felony conviction for threats of violence against a child under the age of 12??

This changes everything…
Read up on the thread, the prosecutor talking about sentencing and seeking DP if she is convicted in this case is being taken out of context. JMOO.

Do you mean that information is NOT related to NV’s history? I’m massively confused. Let me go back…..
It's written in a confusing way. It WILL be related to her "history" if she's convicted in this case. And if she's convicted, the facts of this case (such as the twins being under 12) help justify the DP.
MOO

It's written in a confusing way. It WILL be related to her "history" if she's convicted in this case. And if she's convicted, the facts of this case (such as the twins being under 12) help justify the DP.
MOO
Thanks. Ok, I get it: It WILL be her history IF convicted. She has NO history currently. Yikes, that really confused me!!

Do you mean that information is NOT related to NV’s history? I’m massively confused. Let me go back…..

Yes... this was very hard to understand at first. I think it does point to others comments regarding the possible attempts to get a plea deal. I think the language is an attempt to be so very harsh, to get more information out of our suspect.

I suspect they have gotten access to previous health records (how does hippa work here), and her overall history in general, and have simply not found much. So they want to push her directly, with this death penalty discussion.

Yes... this was very hard to understand at first. I think it does point to others comments regarding the possible attempts to get a plea deal. I think the language is an attempt to be so very harsh, to get more information out of our suspect.

I suspect they have gotten access to previous health records (how does hippa work here), and her overall history in general, and have simply not found much. So they want to push her directly, with this death penalty discussion.
Yes, I’m finally getting it. o_O

Her attorney David Shrager told DailyMail.com he had discussed with Virzi the possibility that the state would pursue the death penalty, but he wasn't expecting it to happen.

'I did not believe [it] was going to happen,' he said. 'Obviously we discussed this as a possibility... I was aware it could.'

Yes, I had wondered also if she had a psychotic break or some kind of schizoid episode. Because what she did if guilty could only destroy her life forever so logically there was no reasonable motive.
In addition to the possibility of mental illness, another possible reason for her committing such a horrible murder might be psychosis due to an illegal drug of some sort that she took.

In addition to the possibility of mental illness, another possible reason for her committing such a horrible murder might be psychosis due to an illegal drug of some sort that she took.
Yes, that’s a real possibility. An unexpected psychotic reaction to a recreational substance taken as part of her trip to see Pittsburgh and these academic friends.

A friend of mine just chimed in and says....

"The prosecutor here is misusing the law to make some of the charged behavior a criminal history affecting the sentence of other charged behavior... I don't like it.
It's like a technicality.

I agree with your friend.

If the prosecutor is twisting things like this, it feels like an underhanded way to get what they want without having the actual clear evidence they need.

It doesn't look good for the prosecutor's office. It makes them seem like liars. (Which then makes me further question anything that comes out of their office.) Imo.

I agree with your friend.

If the prosecutor is twisting things like this, it feels like an underhanded way to get what they want without having the actual clear evidence they need.

It doesn't look good for the prosecutor's office. It makes them seem like liars. (Which then makes me further question anything that comes out of their office.) Imo.
Agreed.

It also feels like an attempt to taint the jury pool, imo. If we had this much confusion here (among people who routinely follow along with cases/court processes), imagine how confusing it would be to potential jurors. I could see many people assuming she has prior convictions.

Plus it completely upends the "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" cornerstone of our justice system.

I would think her defense lawyer could lodge a reasonable complaint about the prosecutor's office trying to taint the jury, as well as argue for a change of venue at this point.

MOO.

I think the Prosecution is going after this much more aggressively that expected by NV's attorney. I don't like the shade they've thrown on her via the statements to the public. Seems unprofessional. Anyways, the article says "she maintains her innocence". She has a competent attorney in her corner, and I guess they intend to fight the charges.

I'm expecting a fierce court battle of experts from both sides. Defense will have their experts there to dispel the injuries to both twins were abuse or intentional. I need to hear the arguments from both sides because it's really hard to believe she would've continued alleged abuse on Leon while the parents took injured Ari to the hospital also allegedly injured by her. Sounds like a horror movie... what is the reality? Still voicing how bizarre this case seems!

One of the reader comments under the article mentioned how it's smart to have a "nanny cams" if having childcare in your home. It protects the child and the nanny. Wish there was some cameras in the home, but no nanny cams have been mentioned.

Virzi's family will be at her next court appearance, scheduled for September 13, as they prepare to 'support their daughter fully and completely, 100 per cent.

I think the Prosecution is going after this much more aggressively that expected by NV's attorney. The article says "she maintains her innocence". She has a competent attorney in her corner, and I guess they intend to fight the charges.

I'm expecting a fierce court battle of experts from both sides. Defense will have their experts there to dispel the injuries to both twins were abuse or intentional. I need to hear the arguments from both sides because it's really hard to believe she would've continued alleged abuse on Leon while the parents took injured Ari to the hospital also allegedly injured by her. Sounds like a horror movie... what is the reality? Still voicing how bizarre this case seems!
One of the reader comments under the article mentioned how it's smart to have a "nanny cams" if having childcare in your home. It protects the child and the nanny. Wish there was some cameras in the home, but no nanny cams have been mentioned.

Virzi's family will be at her next court appearance, scheduled for September 13, as they prepare to 'support their daughter fully and completely, 100 per cent.
Absolutely, the narrative seems bizarre. To injure a second infant when the first you allegedly injured is in the hands of medical authorities? What could possibly be the thinking behind that?

And yes, cams would protect the truth regarding the infants, the sitter, and the parents. What a shame that there doesn’t seem to be any footage!

I am honestly surprised that the charge is not manslaughter. I think they would be guaranteed a conviction on that vs. outright murder, especially if there are no cams.

And for the surviving baby, it seems like a case of he said/she said, so hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, imo.

Unless there's a lot more evidence in both cases.

Imo.

I am honestly surprised that the charge is not manslaughter. I think they would be guaranteed a conviction on that vs. outright murder, especially if there are no cams.

And for the surviving baby, it seems like a case of he said/she said, so hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, imo.

Unless there's a lot more evidence in both cases.

Imo.
Right, overcharging can ruin the case. A good example is Casey Anthony.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back