PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd need to wait and see what is presented in court to decide what I think happened to Ari. Virzi could be responsible. I'm not saying she's definitely not. But there are other possibilities IMO besides Virzi.

At any rate, I don't see any reason to decide telling the father about the genital injury and sending him a photo makes it more likely Virzi did it. The mother was asleep and discussing any part of an infant's body with the father just doesn't seem perverted or odd to me as it does to some others who have posted. That was my main point in my earlier post. One concern though based on your post-- visible bruises from force (if that's what these were-- we don't know that for sure) can take some time to form. When were the injuries supposed to have happened if visible bruises were there? So far as I can tell, Virzi only arrived that day and it's not clear she was ever alone with Ari until later in the day when she volunteered to change his diaper. And if the injuries somehow were inflicted early in the day, why had neither parent noticed them? Why had they not heard screams? Had neither of them changed Ari's diaper or changed his clothes that day? Are we 100% sure the belly injury below the belly button isn't due to a hernia?

I'd like to hear the sworn testimony in court re: Ari. I've seen the early quotes from a doctor but there are cases where pre-trial quotes that are widely circulated by the media definitely don't match the person's sworn testimony in court. That can be due to deliberate misquoting, accidental misquoting OR sometimes it's due to the person changing his/her story under oath. And there have been cases where doctors were wrong about injuries being from abuse. I'd also like to see the entire PCA but that doesn't seem to be published yet.
MOO
I'm assuming from the charges that they have been determined by medics not to be older bruises, and that bruising in two locations is likely linked in time and both being deemed suspicious (ie. no hernia or other explanation found). JMO

I'm assuming from the charges that they have been determined by medics not to be older bruises, and that bruising in two locations is likely linked in time and both being deemed suspicious (ie. no hernia or other explanation found). JMO
Probably but I'm not comfortable assuming. It's not as though innocent people haven't been charged with crimes. Some are even convicted unfortunately.
MOO

That is helpful. We have gone down lots of wrong rooms because of poorly-written PCA's in other cases. I agree this one seems to say the group outing was "in the afternoon" and Virzi's grocery trip alone occurred after that. She was definitely back by early evening. I don't see any reason to find that odd. Why would the entire group grocery shop with the two infants if Virzi was able and willing to go alone? Why expose the twins to more germs and make an "afternoon outing" even longer?

I also am not sure I think sending a photo to the father was weird. If I was in the situation & NOT responsible for the injury but discovered it, I'd likely think a doctor should be consulted & I'd want to show the urgency. (Although to be fair, we don't know how "red & swollen" the area looked.) I'm not sure I'd just wait around for both parents to be awake, present and together and then say BTW look at this... It sounds like the mother was napping--and I'm not sure if I'd immediately wake up a likely exhausted mother since the dad was right there and awake. (But not changing the diaper himself I see!) Personally I don't see why sending the photo to the father was considered so weird unless we conclude Virzi was definitely responsible for the injury & the photo gave her more kicks. (But with cell phones some people photograph just about everything they see these days.) Surely we can't conclude that calling attention to a baby's genitals to a man is sexual, especially when the man is the baby's father.

I've personally not concluded Virzi is guilty of the genital injury yet. Other posts have mentioned cats and rats. But I'd want to know if the twins' fingernails were trimmed. If the baby's genital area was irritated, I could imagine he might pull and scratch at that area. (Just how long had it been since his diaper was changed given the afternoon outing?) And facial scratches could easily be done by either twin especially if they got agitated by the afternoon trip.
MOO
I share your thoughts. I keep wondering IF the incident had been limited only to the first infant and the genital and other injuries, whether there may have been some reasonable explanation which could have tempered things, especially if attorneys had been consulted.

If the mom was napping and NV changed the diaper, it’s not unreasonable to send a photo to the dad so that he could understand exactly what she was seeing, and understand the urgency of it. I’ve had pet sitters do similar when I’m on vacation.

But it’s the catastrophic death of the second infant in her care, coming right on the heels of the first, which just throws everything off the rails and makes this case so baffling and downright bizarre. I’m sure the parents and physicians had to have thought the same. It just changes everything.

That is helpful. We have gone down lots of wrong rooms because of poorly-written PCA's in other cases. I agree this one seems to say the group outing was "in the afternoon" and Virzi's grocery trip alone occurred after that. She was definitely back by early evening. I don't see any reason to find that odd. Why would the entire group grocery shop with the two infants if Virzi was able and willing to go alone? Why expose the twins to more germs and make an "afternoon outing" even longer?

I also am not sure I think sending a photo to the father was weird. If I was in the situation & NOT responsible for the injury but discovered it, I'd likely think a doctor should be consulted & I'd want to show the urgency. (Although to be fair, we don't know how "red & swollen" the area looked.) I'm not sure I'd just wait around for both parents to be awake, present and together and then say BTW look at this... It sounds like the mother was napping--and I'm not sure if I'd immediately wake up a likely exhausted mother since the dad was right there and awake. (But not changing the diaper himself I see!) Personally I don't see why sending the photo to the father was considered so weird unless we conclude Virzi was definitely responsible for the injury & the photo gave her more kicks. (But with cell phones some people photograph just about everything they see these days.) Surely we can't conclude that calling attention to a baby's genitals to a man is sexual, especially when the man is the baby's father.

I've personally not concluded Virzi is guilty of the genital injury yet. Other posts have mentioned cats and rats. But I'd want to know if the twins' fingernails were trimmed. If the baby's genital area was irritated, I could imagine he might pull and scratch at that area. (Just how long had it been since his diaper was changed given the afternoon outing?) And facial scratches could easily be done by either twin especially if they got agitated by the afternoon trip.
MOO

I am in agreement with you on many of these points. I simply cannot "prove" her guilty with anything brought forward yet.
The strangeness is just too strong here.
At least more facts are coming out, but we still do not know enough.

I also want to study more about what the attorney, Mark Freeman has stated. He is a litigator. He is far to the other side of what is currently being stated about what happened here. BUT, the "other side" IS what we always do have to explore. (thanks @Curious Me for highlighting the information)

“The idea that an injury is likely the result of child abuse is deeply embedded — it’s been taught for so long,” he said. “And a lot of doctors are not familiar with the newer literature which shows how unlikely it is that such injuries are from deliberate acts.”

He said the American Academy of Pediatrics has “done a 180” since 2001, when they said that a “constellation of injuries” was unlikely to come from falls.

I am in agreement with you on many of these points. I simply cannot "prove" her guilty with anything brought forward yet.
The strangeness is just too strong here.
At least more facts are coming out, but we still do not know enough.

I also want to study more about what the attorney, Mark Freeman has stated. He is a litigator. He is far to the other side of what is currently being stated about what happened here. BUT, the "other side" IS what we always do have to explore. (thanks @Curious Me for highlighting the information)

“The idea that an injury is likely the result of child abuse is deeply embedded — it’s been taught for so long,” he said. “And a lot of doctors are not familiar with the newer literature which shows how unlikely it is that such injuries are from deliberate acts.”

He said the American Academy of Pediatrics has “done a 180” since 2001, when they said that a “constellation of injuries” was unlikely to come from falls.
Yes, the attorney statement in red is very interesting. If limited to the first infant, I would wonder as others have if the baby may have had untrimmed nails, and if there were some kind of genital infection, whether he may have pulled and scratched at it himself (again, I’ve had cases where my pets did this type of thing, rubbing and scratching an infected area, thus causing redness, swelling , and bleeding. I also had an incident many years ago when my own son was teething, where he caused his lips to redden and swell from furiously rubbing the sore gums.).

I suppose there could be a theory that the first infant’s emergency caused the second one, from escalation of chaos and panic. If the parents were very upset and rushing out to the ER, NV may have felt that the visit was turning into a disaster and that all hell was breaking loose.

I’m just trying to stay open to all possibilities and take into consideration what the defense attorney is saying.

Wow this case is something!! almost never find myself saying this, but how about we just skip the trial & move right to the capital punishment by starving dogs phase
MOO

The idea that violent injuries to helpless tiny essentially immobile infants are caused by child abuse is "deeply embedded" because it's clearly & indisputably true.

"The idea that my client is responsible is deeply embedded" is how defense attys admit the obvious & try to gaslight.

A six-week old baby can't even turn over on his own.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed by the member>

We really need a much more precise timeline. I , now, am more confused about exact information.
The neighborhood walk.
Her grocery store visit. Why does this matter? What did she buy?
When Mother napped. How long.
Where WAS NV when she fell asleep. When
Where was Dad, when received text images. When.
Was the anniversary dinner planned or was it spontaneous.
Had they EVER had a babysitter? (We all know how worried we are when we FIRST leave our infants)
How much do infants finger nails grow at 6 weeks old.

I'm just providing a stream of consciousness of how much is still unsettling to me.
So obviously moo moo moo.

Last edited by a moderator:
We really need a much more precise timeline. I , now, am more confused about exact information.
The neighborhood walk.
Had they EVER had a babysitter? (We all know how worried we are when we FIRST leave our infants)

I'm just providing a stream of consciousness of how much is still unsettling to me.
Much is unsettling to me too.

About the only question listed above I can absolutely answer is about babies' fingernails. Some babies are born with long fingernails that need immediate trimming. Others need their nails trimmed weekly or even more often in the first few weeks of life because they can accidentally scratch their faces, eyes, etc even before the nails harden up. And I'd guess twins might scratch each other too. Obviously I don't know about these babies but I'd think they would have needed trims by 6 weeks even if they were born prematurely. (I don't know that they were but multiples often are.)

MOO

How did the mother of the twins and Virzi become acquainted? How long had they been friends? Had they spent time together before this? And, how long had Virzi been in their home before this abuse and death occurred?
The attorney for NV stated they’d been good friends for 5 years and that the couple considered NV a “trusted friend” which presumably is why they allowed her to babysit.

I certainly understand the exhaustion of a mother of infant twins. As a twin I’ve heard many stories from my parents of how difficult it was, especially when we were born before Pampers and other modern conveniences.

Speaking now as a grandmother of three, and as someone who babysat for children starting at age eleven, I cannot at all understand not waking the mother if she were napping, rather than sending a pic to the father.

Exhausted or not, IMO any mother is going to want to know IMMEDIATELY if her child is injured. Sending a pic to the dad instead of waking the mother who is present strikes me as bizarre.

As to mice, rats and cats….IMO if any of that were the cause, I would guess they’d scratch or bite the face, arms or anything else that was uncovered, rather than worm their way inside a diaper.

To me, though, it all becomes moot once the second baby DIED. Now we aren’t talking about a potentially freak injury to one baby. Now we’re talking pattern.

IMO

Why did she send a photo to the father? Was he gone from the dwelling? Why not call him into the room to see for himself?

Would like to know what (if anything) NV said in the text accompanying the photo she sent to EK.
IMO either he was gone from the dwelling while his wife napped an NV babysat... or they have a huge house. Do we know the size of the house?

I went with a friend once to a home where she was a nanny and they had an elevator. IN the house, not one to get to the front door. It was to get from floor to floor of the house. It was HUGE. If it was a house like that, I can see her contacting dad to say what she saw, and he asked her to send a pic, thinking she was exaggerating about what she saw and not wanting to stop whatever he was doing and take the elevator to wherever in the house she was.

JMO

The neighborhood walk.

I agree about a better timeline!

Does anyone else find it odd that apparently the parents returned to the home with Ari from the ER right around the time the ambulance arrived?
If child abuse was suspected in Ari’s injuries, why was he sent home without a full investigation?

And if the parents knew NV was potentially implicated in Ari’s injuries, why didn’t they ask for help from the hospital in how to proceed?

It doesn’t seem right to send the injured baby back home where NV was? It put the parents in a potentially very volatile situation.

It could also be that maybe the parents had texted her that child abuse was suspected, and that’s when she lashed out at little Leon?.

I feel like maybe the hospital should have called social work and/or LE as soon as abuse was suspected. If they didn’t, this may work against the prosecution. Defense attorney could ask the physician involved some very pointed questions as to why precautions weren’t taken.
If I am understanding the events correctly.

I suppose there could be a theory that the first infant’s emergency caused the second one, from escalation of chaos and panic. If the parents were very upset and rushing out to the ER, NV may have felt that the visit was turning into a disaster and that all hell was breaking loose.

I’m just trying to stay open to all possibilities and take into consideration what the defense attorney is saying.
Snipped for focus. Reading what you wrote made me wonder if NV accidentally dropped Leon and panicked, not wanting to be blamed so instead concocted a story about a bouncer, bassinet, etc. I mentioned upthread that the reason we're hearing about him falling out of very different objects might be because it wasn't true, and she didn't remember what she told 911, therefore her story about what he fell out of has changed.

I don't know much about babies, as I didn't have any, but I babysat a few months old baby once when I was 15 or 16. I had him on top of a dresser that was his changing table. I turned away for something, not knowing how fast and squirmy babies could be, and he rolled off. Babies may be quick and squirmy but I'm quicker, thank goodness. I THANKFULLY grabbed a leg as he fell and caught him. My heart was pounding but I learned a valuable lesson.

Reflecting on that makes me wonder had I not caught him, what would I have told the mother? I'm thinking I'd likely be too embarrassed to tell the truth, that I basically was responsible for letting him fall. Especially if there was visible damage. Would I have come up with something that put the blame on the child, like it appears NV has when she said *He* fell out of his <insert your choice of options we've heard about>?

Thinking back on my own experience it's really making me wonder if it was an accident with Leon. Maybe something stupid like he wouldn't stop crying, so she was tossing him up in the air and catching him (till she accidentally didn't) hoping that would make him stop. People don't always do the smartest things. ALL MOO! :)

IMO either he was gone from the dwelling while his wife napped an NV babysat... or they have a huge house. Do we know the size of the house?

I went with a friend once to a home where she was a nanny and they had an elevator. IN the house, not one to get to the front door. It was to get from floor to floor of the house. It was HUGE. If it was a house like that, I can see her contacting dad to say what she saw, and he asked her to send a pic, thinking she was exaggerating about what she saw and not wanting to stop whatever he was doing and take the elevator to wherever in the house she was.

JMO
They were in an apartment in Shadyside, according to MSM articles:

In the criminal complaint, police write that Virzi was babysitting infant Leon Katz inside the parents' apartment in the 6,000 block of Walnut Street in Shadyside while the parents had taken the baby's twin brother to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh due to injuries to that twin's genital area pointed out by Virzi.

The neighborhood walk.
To me, her grocery store visit only matters to state that she wasn't around the baby when the genital injuries were likely made (as they sound like they are fresh). The parents would be the ones around Ari as NV was at the store.

I agree about a better timeline!

Does anyone else find it odd that apparently the parents returned to the home with Ari from the ER right around the time the ambulance arrived?
If child abuse was suspected in Ari’s injuries, why was he sent home without a full investigation?

And if the parents knew NV was potentially implicated in Ari’s injuries, why didn’t they ask for help from the hospital in how to proceed?

It doesn’t seem right to send the injured baby back home where NV was? It put the parents in a potentially very volatile situation.

It could also be that maybe the parents had texted her that child abuse was suspected, and that’s when she lashed out at little Leon?.

I feel like maybe the hospital should have called social work and/or LE as soon as abuse was suspected. If they didn’t, this may work against the prosecution. Defense attorney could ask the physician involved some very pointed questions as to why precautions weren’t taken.
If I am understanding the events correctly.
I missed that about the second twin returning to the residence with his father. Is that a fact?

All I've read is that the father arrived at about the same time as the ambulance, after she had called the parents at the hospital, and then 911.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb
Back