Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he knew the family who resided in the home were gone? He may have watched them leave- church services, maybe? IMO, I doubt he noticed the camera. I think he had an "oh sh**" moment when investigators released the photo of his vehicle. That's why (if news reports are correct), the vehicle has disappeared.
I wouldn't think anyone driving by would notice the camera mounted on the windmill looking thing in the yard next to the house on the opposite side of the street from the silo. I had to zoom in to see the cable attached to the camera. You can bet he had an "Oh sh***" moment JDough, when they showed him the picture of his car especially since he denied he was in the area that day. I'm guessing they just showed him a photograph and will save the video for trial. The car never disappeared, he drove it the day of the abduction and continued to drive it right up until he was arrested at his place of employment. The car being reported missing was a mistake or it was misinterpreted by someone to mean LE couldn't find it. Not true at all.

Last edited:
The community search hotline also asked people to be considerate to the Stoltzfoos family and not to ask them any questions or details about the investigation.
“This is extremely stressful during this time and the family is not emotionally strong enough to handle these questions,” the hotline spokesman said in the recorded message.
The community search hotline asked people to continue praying for the Stoltzfoos family and additionally the Smoker family.
Community volunteer searches for missing Amish woman Linda Stoltzfoos conclude; local authorities to coordinate all search efforts

Prayers for Linda's Family and Friends during this difficult time.

When LE said that they were "looking outside of Pennsylvania" I wonder if he sold his car to someone who may have taken it out of state. Because they never said why they were looking out of state. Also, they may know who he sold it to, if he did.

When LE said that they were "looking outside of Pennsylvania" I wonder if he sold his car to someone who may have taken it out of state. Because they never said why they were looking out of state. Also, they may know who he sold it to, if he did.
I'd hope LE would start with a broad perspective, with the possibility of it being out of state, but since they started surveillance on JS, and found the two said items of Linda's clothing, I think they have reason to believe JS had an isolated area of travel. The resumption of the search area of Welsh Mountain, East earl township, says to me that LE leaned on JS pretty heavy before he had legal advice, and got some information out of him hopefully. I wonder if JS has even opened his mouth at all actually? Better not be a partner in this thats on the lam. i.e. pimp/extortionist

Three months from abduction til skeletal remains were found Hereshecomes75. I had no idea decomposition could happen so quickly, no wonder authorities are intent on finding her as soon as possible. A victims clothing would most likely last a lot longer than that.

This has probably already been said, but THIS never occurred to me as a reason for clothing to be separated from the victim (other than the obvious horrible reasons, I’m just thinking forensically).

The car is not missing. He was under surveillance since July 8.

From the York Daily Record

Police: More details about missing Amish teen Linda Stoltzfoos

"Investigators could see a red sedan traveling along Beechdale Road around 12:42 p.m. The driver's side window was down and a white object could be seen on the front seat passenger side.

Authorities identified the vehicle as a red Kia Rio with a spoiler and stickers on the trunk. A records check showed that Justo Smoker, 34, of Paradise, owned a vehicle fitting that description, and he worked at a business in Gap.

Investigators drove to the business, saw the red Kia Rio in the parking lot and found that it matched the vehicle in the video. During their surveillance, police noted it left the business around 5:25 p.m. on July 8, and they later found it parked behind Smoker's apartment along the Lincoln Highway."

I'd hope LE would start with a broad perspective, with the possibility of it being out of state, but since they started surveillance on JS, and found the two said items of Linda's clothing, I think they have reason to believe JS had an isolated area of travel. The resumption of the search area of Welsh Mountain, East earl township, says to me that LE leaned on JS pretty heavy before he had legal advice, and got some information out of him hopefully. I wonder if JS has even opened his mouth at all actually? Better not be a partner in this thats on the lam. i.e. pimp/extortionist
I had hoped he would give up Linda Stoltzfoos location too HailedSunSea but since they haven't located her yet I'm thinking no, or he's leading them on a wild goose chase; I sure hope not. He's been through the ropes before having served some serious jail time. He knows he doesn't have to speak to LE without the advice or presence of a lawyer and I'm sure he knows about plea deals as well.

Last edited:
Quoting myself is a no-no, but just wanted to say that ever since. I was a little girl, I've loved the beautiful Lancaster County countryside. My parents honey-mooned there and so our family spent lots of happy times driving through the backroads and looking at beautiful gardens, well-cared for fields and laundry for large families blowing in the fresh air to dry. I was always curious about the Amish children and remember my parents gently explaining their clothing and religion and telling me that they are happy and loved just as I was. I also remember them saying how important it was to respect their way of life......no photos meant respect their privacy. I'm not sure where I'm going with this stroll down a lane of 60 years of memories. I am thankful that with today's technology, it appears as though what happened on that sunny June Sunday is documented. But I'm just saddened that evil has found its way to such a beautiful area and to a community of such hard-working people. May her family and friends feel their faith grow even stronger as they pray for dear Linda. ❤❤

Last edited:
Speaking with an Amish neighbor, who is also a friend, I got a peek inside their psyche. The Amish believe that pretty much everything is Gods will. And they have the almost unbelievable ability to forgive. They are better people than I will ever be. God bless Linda. Wherever she is. And God comfort her family.

He was living on the streets at age 7 until he and his brother were adopted by a couple in Lancaster, PA which is not far at all from Bird In Hand and the other communities he is known to travel to and from. He knows those areas very very well.

Like always in cases like this I wonder where all he's been from his teen years and when he wasnt in prison? And if any of those areas have any unsolved cases consistent with Linda's?

When they finally solved little 6 year old Isabel Celis' kidnapping, and murder, the stranger pedophile had been defiling little children since he was 15 years old, and he never stopped. He was an absconded sex offender from Florida when he moved to AZ..

Clements even boasted to his ex girlfriend there were four bodies he had buried in the AZ desert. He moved around like nomadic Joe Duncan the prolific serial pedophile rapist, and murderer. Duncan was already raping little younger boys when he was 8 years old.

So I hope LE retraces JSs whereabouts before he kidnapped Linda.

As for him discarding some of her clothing in one area, but not all of the clothing that isn't that uncommon for kidnappers who have harmed their victim, and murdered them to do, which I believe he did.

It's also hard to believe JS just started being a deviant at the age of 34. Imo.

Jmho tho

Quoting myself is a no-no, but just wanted to say that ever since. I was a little girl, I've loved the beautiful Lancaster County countryside. My parents honey-mooned there and so our family spent lots of happy times driving through the backroads and looking at beautiful gardens, well-cared for fields and laundry for large families blowing in the fresh air to dry. I was always curious about the Amish children and remember my parents gently explaining their clothing and religion and telling me that they are happy and loved just as I was. I also remember them saying how important it was to respect their way of life......no photos meant respect their privacy. I'm not sure where I'm going with this stroll down a lane of 60 years of memories. I am thankful that with today's technology, it appears as though what happened on that sunny June Sunday is documented. But I'm just saddened that evil has found its way to such a beautiful area and to a community of such hard-working people. May her family and friends feel their faith grow even stronger as they pray for dear Linda. ❤❤
Thank you Song in My Heart for taking us on a stroll down memory lane with you.Thank you also for such a heartfelt wish for Linda Stoltzfoos family , friends, and community.

Speaking with an Amish neighbor, who is also a friend, I got a peek inside their psyche. The Amish believe that pretty much everything is Gods will. And they have the almost unbelievable ability to forgive. They are better people than I will ever be. God bless Linda. Wherever she is. And God comfort her family.
When you say ‘everything’ what exactly do you mean? Everything good? Everything bad? Everything in between? Everything that has happened in this situation? In all situations?
Please if you don’t mind, give me some clarification/reference point.

Like always in cases like this I wonder where all he's been from his teen years and when he wasnt in prison? And if any of those areas have any unsolved cases consistent with Linda's?

When they finally solved little 6 year old Isabel Celis' kidnapping, and murder, the stranger pedophile had been defiling little children since he was 15 years old, and he never stopped. He was an absconded sex offender from Florida when he moved to AZ..

Clements even boasted to his ex girlfriend there were four bodies he had buried in the AZ desert. He moved around like nomadic Joe Duncan the prolific serial pedophile rapist, and murderer. Duncan was already raping little younger boys when he was 8 years old.

So I hope LE retraces JSs whereabouts before he kidnapped Linda.

As for him discarding some of her clothing in one area, but not all of the clothing that isn't that uncommon for kidnappers who have harmed their victim, and murdered them to do, which I believe he did.

It's also hard to believe JS just started being a deviant at the age of 34. Imo.

Jmho tho
Thank you - this was something I've been puzzling over as well. It's one reason I speculated on gang initiation as a motive; this situation is particularly odd. He was in prison for non-violent juvenile offenses (essentially), then is released early in his 20s, and goes about his business until one day he - what? - and kidnaps a woman and assaults her (and potentially kills her).
How does that come out of nowhere? What was the trigger? The family funeral? Was it just that he was familiar with Amish women, being from the area? And that they are potentially more accessible due to their docility and habit of walking rural roads?
I'm going to sit down in my armchair and play therapist; did he have a bad encounter with a woman recently that prompted him to take out his rage on a stranger? Was he over-compensating for his small stature (could fit with all the body building, a possible legacy from prison?) by picking up a 'weak' Amish woman? Was he possibly gay and hated himself (masculine Hispanic culture) so 'proved' himself with Linda?
All MOO and speculation.

When you say ‘everything’ what exactly do you mean? Everything good? Everything bad? Everything in between? Everything that has happened in this situation? In all situations?
Please if you don’t mind, give me some clarification/reference point.
I believe nataliewould was speaking in general terms, not in particular to this situation.
In general, Amish believe everything that happens is in God’s will (good and bad).

So on 6/21 he took Linda at 12:42, was seen about 9 miles east of her home on Amish Road in Gap around 1:30 and then was at the Harvest Road business from 2:30 until 3:35, which is about 3 miles west of where he abducted her. All from Old Order community witnesses, latter-day technology led to arrest of suspect in Amish woman’s kidnapping

Why would he have driven east initially and then west, passing the general location from which he took her and then gone to Harvest Road? Did he hand her off to someone near Gap then drive west to hide evidence? Did he plan to assault her in Gap but had to go with plan B of Harvest Road?

I still wonder if someone else is involved.

I am wondering if he was trafficking her and had appointments set up - or made appointments once he had her.

Thank you - this was something I've been puzzling over as well. It's one reason I speculated on gang initiation as a motive; this situation is particularly odd. He was in prison for non-violent juvenile offenses (essentially), then is released early in his 20s, and goes about his business until one day he - what? - and kidnaps a woman and assaults her (and potentially kills her).
How does that come out of nowhere? What was the trigger? The family funeral? Was it just that he was familiar with Amish women, being from the area? And that they are potentially more accessible due to their docility and habit of walking rural roads?
I'm going to sit down in my armchair and play therapist; did he have a bad encounter with a woman recently that prompted him to take out his rage on a stranger? Was he over-compensating for his small stature (could fit with all the body building, a possible legacy from prison?) by picking up a 'weak' Amish woman? Was he possibly gay and hated himself (masculine Hispanic culture) so 'proved' himself with Linda?
All MOO and speculation.

JS was in prison for approx 10-15 years for armed robbery, released from prison in February 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003