GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Woman pleads guilty to 2019 kidnapping, murder of Penn Hills toddler

Sharena Nancy, the woman who kidnapped Nalani on Aug. 31, 2019, smothered her and left her strapped into her car seat in the woods of Indiana County, pleaded guilty Friday to third-degree murder and kidnapping.

The plea agreement called for a sentence of 15 to 30 years in state prison. She will get credit for the 2-1/2 years she has already served.

Sharena Nancy, the woman who kidnapped Nalani on Aug. 31, 2019, smothered her and left her strapped into her car seat in the woods of Indiana County, pleaded guilty Friday to third-degree murder and kidnapping.

The plea agreement called for a sentence of 15 to 30 years in state prison. She will get credit for the 2-1/2 years she has already served.

When she was found, Nalani was wearing a black tank top with flamingos on it. In gold letters it read, “Born to shine.”

t2320.gif

APR 1, 2022
Woman pleads guilty in 2019 abduction, death of Penn Hills toddler | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
[...]

Several other of Nalani’s relatives who spoke said noted the incalculable loss to their family and the unnecessary killing of an innocent child who brightened every room she was in.

Gladys Duarte, Nalani’s mother, said the child “lit up my world,” and gave her motivation and purpose. She remembered the motivation she had to get up and go to work every day knowing that when she came home, Nalani would run up to her to give her hugs and kisses.

“Nalani was robbed of a beautiful life she could have had,” Ms. Duarte said. “She will never lose her first tooth, and I will never get to teach her to tie her shoes.”

Mr. Johnson, Nalani’s father, tried reading a victim impact statement but succumbed to his emotions before he could finish.

“Sorry,” he said, “I’m at a loss for words.”

Nancy offered no comment ...

[...]

Also see: Sharena Nancy Gets 15-30 Years In 2-Year-Old Nalani Johnson’s Kidnapping, Murder – CBS Pittsburgh (cbslocal.com)

How in the world did she plead that down to 3rd degree murder?!

Probably the best deal she could get. I'm no lawyer but if I was, and if I was hers, I'd have tried to go for manslaughter. Who knows? Maybe her lawyer did but the DA wouldn't go for it.

Sharena was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion from the get-go. There's no way she'd get a fair trial here and I guarantee she'd be found guilty of 1st degree and get LWOP. Well, unless I was on the jury and would be that one holdout that everyone hates since I don't believe she meant to kill Nalani and I don't think they have have the evidence to prove she's guilty of 1st degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

JMO

Probably the best deal she could get. I'm no lawyer but if I was, and if I was hers, I'd have tried to go for manslaughter. Who knows? Maybe her lawyer did but the DA wouldn't go for it.

Sharena was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion from the get-go. There's no way she'd get a fair trial here and I guarantee she'd be found guilty of 1st degree and get LWOP. Well, unless I was on the jury and would be that one holdout that everyone hates since I don't believe she meant to kill Nalani and I don't think they have have the evidence to prove she's guilty of 1st degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

JMO
IMO, there is no way this could qualify as manslaughter. I think it is also greater than third degree and believe the case was strong for second degree. Second degree murder is murder that occurs during the commission of a felony (kidnapping). Intent to murder does not have to be proven and the mandatory sentence is life without the possibility of parole. I just can't reconcile the facts with the chance she could be out in 15 years...
*eta JMO

Last edited:

JMO
Holding napkins over a baby’s face for 4-5 minutes indicates intention to kill, imo.

I've followed this case very closely. How couldn't I, it happening practically in my own back yard? Watching it unfold, over 2 1/2 years, I kept hearing the voice of Tom Logan (Robert Redford) as defense lawyer for Chelsea Deardon (Daryl Hannah) in Legal Eagles.

So we all think she's guilty. What do we do?
That's a dilemma, isn't it?
A problem because we've developed...
...a legal concept in this country to protect ourselves...
...to protect our rights...
...and it's called, "presumption of innocence."
ln simpler words that means that one is presumed innocent...
...until proven guilty.
That means that whatever assumptions you've already made...
...Chelsea Deardon must be seen in your eyes...
...believed in your minds, understood in your hearts...
...to be innocent.
So what is the truth?

Full script: Legal Eagles Script - transcript from the screenplay and/or Robert Redford and Debra Winger movie

Last edited:
But there’s nothing that can be done about Nancy. There is nothing that can bring Nalani back.

There is, however, still time to help the other Nalanis out there. The other children whose lives can still be saved when something — intentional or not — threatens them.

Editorial: Nalani Johnson Rule could save lives

I just sent a nudge to Rep. DeLuca, to see if we can get an update on moving the Nalani Johnson Rule HB 509 forward with the legislators.

FEB 23, 2023
[...]

How often do children sought in Amber Alerts die? 

Nalani Johnson was one of 29 children who were found dead after an Amber Alert was issued for them between 2017 and 2021, according to records USA TODAY reviewed. That’s out of more than 1,100 children for whom an outcome could be determined. 

When a woman drove off with Nalani in 2019, two weeks before the toddler’s second birthday, her father called 911 and gave the Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, police department the information needed for an Amber Alert, according to Nalani’s grandmother, TW. The alert went out more than two hours later. 

[...]

After her granddaughter’s death, TW pushed to change Pennsylvania law to require police to immediately issue Amber Alerts in abductions involving young children if a family member reports the child was abducted by a person outside the family. A petition for the bill, dubbed the Nalani Johnson Rule, garnered more than 22,000 signatures, but TW said the legislation stalled after the October death of its initial sponsor, state Rep. Anthony DeLuca, a Democrat. 

Among the children found dead after an alert, Nalani was one of a dozen who had been abducted, according to media reports about their cases. In 13 other cases, the child’s killer – usually a parent – lied to authorities about an abduction or disappearance, and the child was already dead when the alert was issued. In three cases, the child wandered off and was ruled to have accidentally drowned, and in one a 10-year-old Wisconsin girl walked away from her home. Her death was ruled a suicide.

[...]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP