DNA Solves
they have apprenhended a man in this case. Just on wpvi.com
Slomon MOntgomery is the suspect 23 years old

caught on N. 19th at 2 pm

fishyfishy4 said:
they have apprenhended a man in this case. Just on wpvi.com
Slomon MOntgomery is the suspect 23 years old

caught on N. 19th at 2 pm
My God, only 23!!! Here's a link. It doesn't say it in this article but the local news has been saying that his mother phoned police last night, having recognized her son in the surveillance video. So incredibly sad for her:

AP Wire | 05/18/2006 | Police capture man sought for questioning in officer's killing

A man sought for questioning in the killing of a police officer during a barroom robbery was shot and critically wounded Thursday by authorities in North Philadelphia.

Solomon Montgomery, 23, was shot as he tried to flee police who had descended on a residence where he was thought to be staying, authorities said. He was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center, where hospital spokeswoman Michele Stefan said he was listed in critical condition...

Police commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said, however, that authorities still do not know whether Montgomery was responsible for the shooting.

"We don't have enough information at this point...

With a phalanx of officers waiting outside for him Thursday, Montgomery left the house in the city's Olney section and got in a sport utility vehicle, then rammed his car into two police vehicles, Johnson said.

He then jumped out, ran on foot for a block or more, and appeared to be reaching into his pocket when he was shot twice by police, Johnson said. Two semiautomatic weapons were found in Montgomery's pockets, Johnson said.

"We very well could have had two more police officers shot today," Johnson said...

Some articles are saying that the suspect fired at the police but on television, they made it sound as if he definitely did not.

Also, he was apparently known to police since he not only had a warrant for his arrest (in connection to weapons charges) in California, but he also has had prior arrests locally for drug possession and robberies.

In any case, if this is the guy, I'm hoping that he has a speedy recovery so that his *advertiser censored*s can be held accountable for what he's done.

News Gleaner - Farewell, Officer Skerski

Officer Gary Skerski, of the 15th District, according to those who knew him, dedicated his all to his community.

Retired Officer Vic Orkis called Skerski "the kind of guy who made you want to be a better person. He was just exemplary..."

"He worked with my office closely and did it with a smile on his face and never had anything harsh or derogatory to say about anyone," said Councilwoman Joan Krajewski (D-6). "Nothing was ever too hard or out of the question for him and he was a giant among men. When I knew Skerski was on the case, I knew the job would get done, he was the best of the best.

His death has quieted City Hall, said Councilman Jack Kelly (R-at-Large).

"He was always willing to lend a hand," Kelly said. "If you called with a question, he had the right answer. He took a hands-on approach to his work and was incredibly responsive to any problem big or small. He was quite simple an amazing person and dedicated police officer..."

An online guestbook has been set up for Skerski at www.legacy.com for those who wish to pay their respects. You can also leave your messages to the family at the News Gleaner's web site, www.newsgleaner.com...

DelcoTimes - Suspect in Philly cop killing remembered in Darby Township

Thursday night, Solomon Montgomery was remembered in his old Delaware County neighborhood as a good kid who got decent grades - not someone who may be linked to a cop killing.

But Lorraine McDonough of Collingdale has a different take on the boy she said bullied her son when they were students at Amosland Grade School, back in 1996-1997. McDonough said she had to talk to the principal when Montgomery accosted her son, who was a year younger, and tried to take his bicycle.

"He was a bad egg," she said...

"I'm not buying it," said one man who has lived in the town homes for 18 years and asked to remain anonymous, regarding the link between Montgomery and the slain officer.

"He wasn't a bad kid," he said...

Another resident on Newlin said he saw the sketch of a suspect released by police and it bears no resemblance to the Solomon Montgomery he remembered.

He also doubted that anyone committing such a crime would wear such easily identifiable clothing. (But whomever committed this crime, Montgomery or otherwise, DID wear such easily identifiable clothing. :waitasec: )

Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/19/2006 | Suspect wounded in shoot-out

..."At this point, there's not enough to say whether he was or was not," (Police Commissioner Sylvester) Johnson said, declining to elaborate on the case or on why detectives had zeroed in on Montgomery.

But numerous police officials said they considered Montgomery a prime suspect. And Johnson did not explain why he cut short an out-of-state trip to hold last night's briefing, or why dozens of heavily armed police, including SWAT officers, were used to make the apprehension.

According to police sources, the big break came Wednesday night and early yesterday, when three people close to Montgomery, including his mother, identified him as the man shown in the surveillance video robbing Pat's Cafe on Castor Avenue about 10 p.m. May 8.

One of those people reportedly gave police a picture of Montgomery in which he wore the same clothes as the man in the video...

On Almond Street in Port Richmond, officers kept reporters away from the white rowhouse where Skerski lived with his wife, Anne, and their children, Robert, 13, and Nicole, 10...

"Maybe it's closure for the family. Here's the sad thing: His kid is graduating eighth grade. Where's his role model?"

Skerski, 46, a 16-year veteran of the force, was shot shortly after 10 p.m. May 8 while responding to a call of a robbery in progress at Pat's Cafe.

After Skerski and his partner, Officer William Alexander, arrived at the bar, Alexander approached the front door as Skerski went to the rear exit.

The gunman came out blasting a sawed-off shotgun, striking Skerski in the neck. Skerski had his gun drawn but apparently was unable to fire it. He died about two hours later at Temple University Hospital.

Skerski, who had been assigned to the 15th Police District as a community-relations officer, had been working overtime as part of the city's Operation Safer Streets...

in the days before they got the key tip Wednesday night, police reported little progress, saying they had not identified a viable suspect...

Mug shot from California looks very similar to the sketch, IMO.

6abc.com: Skerski Shooting Suspect Now Stable

... police have more than enough evidence to charge him with the murder of Officer Gary Skerski and an arrest warrant is imminent...

They are waiting for a signature from the district attorney's office right now. The suspect was shot by police Thursday afternoon when they cornered him in East Germantown. He was spotted coming out of an apartment building where he was staying with his sister.

Police searched that home and another home. They found crucial evidence connecting him to the murder scene, that includes shotgun shells that match the two shells found at the scene. They found a distinctive bag he allegedly used to collect cash from patrons. They did not find the murder weapon or clothing the robber was wearing that night...

Jersey, did you see this on NG last night. Very interesting. I thought of you, when they showed it was breaking news they had got him...is it him?

christine2448 said:
Jersey, did you see this on NG last night. Very interesting. I thought of you, when they showed it was breaking news they had got him...is it him?
I haven't watched NG in a long time but turned it on last night to see if the story would be on there and was pleased to see that it was.

It is believed that this is indeed the man that shot and killed Officer Skerski. It sounds like he had a pretty sad life:

Philadelphia Daily News | 05/20/2006 | 'Now we have a cop-killer off the streets'

... The 23-year-old was formally charged yesterday with killing Officer Gary Skerski and robbing a dozen patrons inside a quiet bar in the Northeast on May 8...

Sources say Montgomery's father, long removed from his life, refused to visit his son in the hospital, or pay for a lawyer.

Montgomery's mother, Carolyn, reportedly was making her way to Philadelphia from her South Carolina home in disbelief.

His older sister, stepmother and stepsister struggled with the knowledge that a cousin helped turn Montgomery in to police. "My nephew will probably get the electric chair," sighed Harry Montgomery, 58. "I don't think my nephew [killed Skerski]. But if you did that, you reap what you sow."

Jaye Long, 23, who attended Fels High School with Montgomery, said, "I'm sure there's other illegal activities he's involved in. I mean, he has a record, but I just can't believe that he shot this cop..."

Said (District Attorney Lynn) Abraham: "This is a death-penalty case, without any hesitation or reservation. I have studied this case from beginning to end. There's just nothing to discuss."

Defense attorney Charles Peruto Jr. said he backed off an initial offer to defend Montgomery once he was charged with killing Skerski...

Three people called the Citizens Crime Commission of Delaware Valley with crucial information on May 10...

Those three people will split the $125,000 reward ...

Investigators were additionally aided by two relatives who approached homicide cops on Wednesday with a photo of Montgomery in the State Property jacket, police said.

"This family is not close," said Harry Montgomery. "They would turn in a family member..."

Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/20/2006 | Police: Suspect planned to flee Phila.

... It seems the police task force that arrested Montgomery moved just in time.

Police believe that he had been planning to leave the city. Bus tickets to North Carolina were found in the apartment where Montgomery was staying. Montgomery's mother lives in South Carolina...

After police learned Montgomery's name, they contacted his mother. She was not the one who turned him in, authorities said yesterday...

Authorities say they believe his family tipped him off that police were seeking him just before he left the apartment...

In 2001, he was accused of robbing a man in Olney, shoving a handgun into the victim's mouth and shooting him. He was acquitted by Common Pleas Court Judge Renee Cardwell Hughes in a nonjury trial... :waitasec:

6abc.com: Suspect in Officer Skerski Murder in Court

The widow of slain Philadelphia police officer Gary Skerski wiped away tears during the first day in court for her husband's accused killer...

They are seeking the death penalty for Montgomery. This preliminary hearing could last several days...

The first witness on Tuesday was the bartender ... Bar patrons are expected to testifying during the hearing. Montgomery's family and his girlfriend are also going to testify...

NEPA News - Man accused of killing police officer will stand trial

A judge on Thursday determined that prosecutors have enough evidence to try a man on charges that he killed a city police officer during a bar robbery.

Solomon Montgomery, 23, faces the death penalty if he is convicted ...

Prosecutors presented testimony from victims and relatives of the accused on Tuesday and Wednesday. The family members said Montgomery admitted that he robbed the bar and killed Skerski...

Philadelphia Daily News | 06/22/2006 | 'He said he did it'

... "I just [asked] him if it was him and he said he did it," said Marti, who is no longer romantically involved with Montgomery.

"He didn't mean for the cop to get shot. That's what he was saying. It was either him or the cop. He said he felt trapped... He got scared. He just felt trapped and that it was his way out of it he shot the cop."

Marti cried throughout her testimony, especially when she talked about her son, 3-year-old Solomon Montgomery Jr. At one point, when the petite young woman spoke about her son's affection for his father, the accused cop-killer put his head down and wiped his eyes.

"My son don't know that person," she said of the man accused of shooting Skerski in the throat during the May 8 bar robbery. "My son would be here. He'd run to his dad because my son don't know that person other people are seeing..."

... Marti said Montgomery had felt bad about the officer's children.

"He said he didn't mean to shoot the cop and he felt sorry for his kids," Marti said...

Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/21/2006 | Witnesses recount killing of city officer

... After allegedly shooting Skerski, Montgomery, of North Philadelphia, then began firing at Alexander, who said that he ran for cover behind the police SUV and then a nearby truck.

"Shots fired! Shots fired!" Alexander shouted into his radio, Officer Richard Lorenz testified.

Then Lorenz said he heard Skerski's voice, low and raspy, on the radio: "I'm shot. I'm shot." They were his last words...

Photographs showed Skerski's service revolver on the ground, all six bullets unfired...

From October 2007:

http://articles.philly.com/2007-10-31/news/25232346_1_police-officer-bank-robbery-plea-deal

Before a courtroom packed with blue uniforms and stone-faced family members yesterday, the man who killed a beloved police officer in a barroom ambush last year pleaded guilty to murder.

Before being sentenced to life imprisonment - thus avoiding the death penalty - Solomon Montgomery, 25, apologized to the family of Officer Gary Skerski, 46, the father of two children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YouthSleuth98
Back