Found Deceased PA - Paul Kochu, 22, Allegheny County, 17 Dec 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do we know they were belittling him? And why would they?
IMO, their minimizing the significance of his wound is belittling. Their saying he was emotional is also belittling. I can envision them making fun of him for being freaked out over the cut----saying it's not a big deal, lighten up dude, stop being a baby, and then labeling him emotional for getting angry at them. I get the feeling he was the brunt of the boys-will-be-boys jabs, and when he'd get angry they'd say they were just joking and to stop being soooooooo sensitive.

Being sensitive and getting angry at typical locker room jabs doesn't equate to being emotional, depressed and suicidal IMO.

If the wound WAS small when they saw him, that is not belittling, nor is saying he was emotional, if he was, in fact, emotional, in their opinions. I am just not on the "roommates did it" bandwagon unless LE says so. Jmo

If the wound WAS small when they saw him, that is not belittling, nor is saying he was emotional, if he was, in fact, emotional, in their opinions. I am just not on the "roommates did it" bandwagon unless LE says so. Jmo

Also where is the info coming from i.e "locker room jabs" etc.? Has more been released?

Which hand was the cut on?
IIRC, it appeared to be the right hand in the video If he's right handed, it's very unlikely he started out using a razor with his left hand for the scenario DK is suggesting. We have no idea of knowing if he's right or left handed, but it's statistically more likely that he is right handed.

That's fine that you don't want to jump on a bandwagon. IMO, it seems this thread is strongly swayed towards people who think the roommates are uninvolved. I feel I'm in the minority here. Anyways, we'll never agree about how using the word emotional can be used to describe people who are angry and calling angry people emotional is belittling IMO.

Also where is the info coming from i.e "locker room jabs" etc.? Has more been released?
Locker room jabs is my way of explaining the type of belittling I feel was happening. They were high school athletes. There's a certain type of male bantering and insults that are hurled around male locker rooms among athletes. Some people get angry when it's done to them. I think PK was sensitive and did get angry, and they labeled him as emotional and not being able to take a joke. His being sensitive and angry does not mean he had emotional problems and was depressed and suicidal. I'll bet it's more likely PK had anger problems.

IIRC, it appeared to be the right hand in the video If he's right handed, it's very unlikely he started out using a razor with his left hand for the scenario DK is suggesting. We have no idea of knowing if he's right or left handed, but it's statistically more likely that he is right handed.

Seems you're understanding where I'm going with this. Does the cut make sense for an attempted suicide?

Seems you're understanding where I'm going with this. Does the cut make sense for an attempted suicide?
Not at all. It doesn't make sense for a suicide attempt or even a person who is a "cutter. I think it's quite a leap to assume he used a razor simply because a roommate said he cut his hand on "glass or something."

He's right handed. Picture of him batting on Facebook page is him as a righty hitter.

Not at all. It doesn't make sense for a suicide attempt or even a person who is a "cutter. I think it's quite a leap to assume he used a razor simply because a roommate said he cut his hand on "glass or something."

No, I'm saying if he is right handed, a right hand cut using his left hand to attempt suicide as DK suggests does not make sense. it would be awkward. I would imagine a right handed person would use their right hand to cut. So, does the cut location make sense if it was self inflicted and on the right hand? I don't think so. Can we confirm what hand the cut was on?

No, I'm saying if he is right handed, a right hand cut using his left hand to attempt suicide as DK suggests does not make sense. it would be awkward. I would imagine a right handed person would use their right hand to cut. So, does the cut location make sense if it was self inflicted and on the right hand? I don't think so. Can we confirm what hand the cut was on?
I agree. That's what I said too. A suicide attempt or even a "cutter" wouldn't start out using their non-dominant hand to cut their dominant hand IMO.

I think the video of him on Wharton confirms it was his right hand that was cut. I also think there is video of his roommate pointing to where he cut himself on his hand. We could tell if he's pointing to his right or left hand in that one to verify what we believe we see in the Wharton video.

All of the descriptions of the Wharton video say he has a towel or something on/in his right hand.

oops, I read your reply too fast, so yes, you did see where I was going with that.

ok, so based on this, I can logically assume that a suicide attempt by cutting ones own wrist would be on the non dominant hand. If the info we just said is fact, then I can logically rule out the cut on his hand or wrist area was an attempted suicide.

I don't think we know enough about any of the men to determine what happened, or the tone of their disagreement. If someone has a bad day, they could react badly to something they might not otherwise. Or maybe they disagreed about politics or the game, for all we know. I don't think we know enough about anything to draw many conclusions, really.

My goodness, what a lively thread! I can see everyone cares deeply about this accomplished missing young man.
I tend to favor Det. Klimpt's theory. I see a bunch of liquored up young guys all ripping up the town. Maybe something happened or was revealed in beer talk that embarrassed our missing subject. Perhaps under normal circumstances he could have dealt with this head on,and effectively. But, perhaps he is one of these folks who "can't hold their liquor" and becomes psychologically fragile when they are inebriated. Sounds like it.

Similar to Det. Klimpt, I *theorize* based on what I have read, that something was indeed done or said to horribly upset/embarass Paul. (And I agree that the roomies aren't giving that info up, or maybe just to LE). I think Paul was so drunk that he completely lost all judgement and committed self harm. I have seen young men act in such a manner inebriated, but usually it's over a girl. If I had to guess, this had to do with something embarrassing related to something relationship oriented, but that's just guessing on my part. There's only so many things that upset a young man that much, and many times it's a relationship.

But in the end, I think a very distraught, and very drunk young man stumbled along outside and ended up falling in, or jumping in the water. That's the best I can deduce from what I know of this case. I think the roomies may be holding back specific conversational details to protect Paul's privacy, vs. protect themselves. I don't think they are guilty of harming him physically. Emotionally, probably, but not physically. I get the sense this is about SHAME and embarrassment.

He's right handed. Picture of him batting on Facebook page is him as a righty hitter.

Good sleuthing Heart. However, some left handers do bat right-handed. Also, some players are switch-hitters, which means they can bat left-handed or right-handed, depending on whether the pitcher is right or left handed. If you can find a picture of him throwing or with a glove on, that would be more reliable.

I'd like to rephrase/clarify something I've written. I think I did write my thoughts correctly initially, but may have not in subsequent posts. I believe the initial cut on the hand was a 'false' attempt at suicide. What I mean by that is he didn't intend to kill himself at that time. He cut himself for attention and to get sympathy from the roommates. That's why he called them to assist with a 'minor' injury. Based on that, he would want to cut his non-dominate hand. I never said he used a razor. I think he used a knife or something else sharp. If you google suicide by wrist cutting, you will see that most articles say people do it for attention and that they rarely die from it.

I've thought he cut himself a second time more severly after the roommates left. In the scheme of things, it doesn't matter how his hand got cut or which one. What matters is why he left his home and what happened to him.

My goodness, what a lively thread! I can see everyone cares deeply about this accomplished missing young man.
I tend to favor Det. Klimpt's theory. I see a bunch of liquored up young guys all ripping up the town. Maybe something happened or was revealed in beer talk that embarrassed our missing subject. Perhaps under normal circumstances he could have dealt with this head on,and effectively. But, perhaps he is one of these folks who "can't hold their liquor" and becomes psychologically fragile when they are inebriated. Sounds like it.

Similar to Det. Klimpt, I *theorize* based on what I have read, that something was indeed done or said to horribly upset/embarass Paul. (And I agree that the roomies aren't giving that info up, or maybe just to LE). I think Paul was so drunk that he completely lost all judgement and committed self harm. I have seen young men act in such a manner inebriated, but usually it's over a girl. If I had to guess, this had to do with something embarrassing related to something relationship oriented, but that's just guessing on my part. There's only so many things that upset a young man that much, and many times it's a relationship.

But in the end, I think a very distraught, and very drunk young man stumbled along outside and ended up falling in, or jumping in the water. That's the best I can deduce from what I know of this case. I think the roomies may be holding back specific conversational details to protect Paul's privacy, vs. protect themselves. I don't think they are guilty of harming him physically. Emotionally, probably, but not physically. I get the sense this is about SHAME and embarrassment.

Yes, this is a lively thread. Heavy on passion, but a little light on respect for opposing views in my humble opinion. You captured the essence very eloquently on what I think happened to Paul.

Yes, this is a lively thread. Heavy on passion, but a little light on respect for opposing views in my humble opinion. You captured the essence very eloquently on what I think happened to Paul.
Why should someone have to respect an opposing view? It doesn't mean they don't respect the person, only they don't think that person's opinion is believable. One minute a poster is saying Paul went to get food at Getgo, and in a subseqent post they are saying he was badly beaten, head injury, etc. See what I mean? Theories need to flow in order for me to respect them. And...I doubt anyone gives a hoot what I think anyway. Won't stop me from posting and sticking to my theory, although I'm slowly by surely getting bored with this case and no new information.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back