Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 #3 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is what I think is helpful.
As far as being an unwed mother, in 1981 I was allowed to give my son any name I wanted! I could also put any name I wanted as the father. I could have put a famous person and named him Jr, it was completely up to me. In 1992, the father had to sign or I wasn't even allowed to list him! I'm going to guess nothing much changed from 50-mid80s because it was always one person's word against the others... but as science improved it became more important. That is just a guess. But, in I asked the person who came in with the bc in both cases, because I've always been curious. And, it never crossed my mind to put a a false name on a birth certificate- I can't imagine anyone doing it, I'd rather leave it blank!

I agree except I haven’t seen anything saying Martha was correct about the beans. Everything else I’ve seen she could easily have gotten from newspapers. I don’t believe her yet I don’t not believe her. I’m just not sure & there is probably a reason police didn’t investigate further than they did
According to the Courtv report both the details about the baked beans, and her subsequent statement concerning the body's placement in the box were held by only the coroner and the police (from a confidential informant).

Nothing about those details appears to have been released in news reports prior to her conversations with the police.

Again, without any kind of speculation - why is there so much emphasis being placed on the death certificates of children who could (potentially) be his siblings? They likely wouldn't contain any information of use in identifying him.

Why not instead look for census records that match other records? If he was born in a hospital, was residing in a house that reported for the census, was informally adopted by another family (which is what was in "M" or "Martha's" testimony), or formerly adopted, the chance of his being located in a census record is fairly high.

Sounds like his test was mixed up
The ethnic exchanges between Southern Europe and the Levant region make DNA "breakdowns" of ethnicity and nationality incredibly shaky, particularly as national borders have shifted overtime, migration back and forth having been common for the last several centuries, and migration to the West often leading to the adoption of more "privileged" backgrounds in an effort to ensure economic and class viability and success.

You should change #5 by removing the name "Zarelli'. M posited that her abusive mother had purchased the boy who was found deceased in the box. Right now, the boy **that M is tallong about hee mother buying** and Zarelli being one and the same is not a fact.

Edited for clarity.
That's why I phrased it as being only "speculative" with a strong lead,though I do see what you mean.

I suppose it begs the question of whether she was referring to another unidentified murdered child, or Zarelli (something deeply haunting, though I haven't seen any reports of a similar unidentified boy of such an age in West Philadelphia).

Again, without any kind of speculation - why is there so much emphasis being placed on the death certificates of children who could (potentially) be his siblings? They likely wouldn't contain any information of use in identifying him.

Why not instead look for census records that match other records? If he was born in a hospital, was residing in a house that reported for the census, was informally adopted by another family (which is what was in "M" or "Martha's" testimony), or formerly adopted, the chance of his being located in a census record is fairly high.
It won't helpful - yet. The last census released for the public was 1950. JAZ wasn't born yet. And 1960 won't be released for another 8-10 years. JAZ would have been deceased for 3 years by 1960, so he won't show up on that one, either.

If he was continuously abused she may of hid him well, and since his hair was cut, it could have possibly been very long resembling a girl. There is some reason behind someone cutting the hair. Either way it’s strange they said at the pc that they were “previously known in the investigation.” Which in my opinion means it’s a family they speculated about at some point.
Unfortunately prior to the 90's child abuse wasn't discussed; attitude in the 50/60's was 'that's their child and how they raise/discipline child is not our business.' If "M's" mother knew she adopted a male child; why conceal his identity with the long hair? They suspect that Joseph's hair was long because of the long strands in the box with him; which I find odd. Begs the question; was he legally adopted? LE stated they requested Birth/death and adoption records from 1944-1957 but only acknowledged receipt of a birth record.
Of the above records requested three results were received; two that were linked directly to the birth mother which one provided DNA. The third record also was linked to the birth mother in 1953 with fathers name listed. I think the 'previously known to the investigation' is due to Joseph's DNA leading to other family members, not that they suspected or talked to the family prior to this.

One thing that’s bugging me, a little bit uncomfortable to talk about though; Circumsicion. Where would they have taken him to get that done? To me, that indicated it was a hospital birth.
Was he circumcised? They didn’t say that, did they?

Reactions: IDK
Through a court order, detectives were then able to obtain from the state the birth, death and adoption records of all the children born to the mother between 1944 and 1956.
SBBM

Is this the time period during which JAZ’s mother gave birth to her children or is this the date range that investigators chose for their search?

Census dates:
1960. (Not public until 2031)

He didn't marry that woman until 1959ish... look at the dates in the info given. (And they would have been old enough to "do the right thing) either he had a previous wife or ???
I'm gonna go with secret lover because Bio Dad's family is claiming he didn't father Joseph even though the DNA matches. In 1953 they wouldn't even know until birth if a child had abnormalities Could of placed him with another family and kept it a secret. Two more kids he fathered born with defects as well but then he was married so less scandal I guess.

I'm confused though because some are saying dad was always with the same women from 1953 on.

This bothers me immensely and maybe I'm looking at the photo incorrectly but I don't think so. Wikepedia has a picture of 'crime scene where the body was found' and it appears to show his little body in the box :( please tell me I'm wrong ...
There is a crime scene photo that's been circulating online for years that does show his body in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth