Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While Fitzpatrick couldn't be totally forthcoming with additional info, it seems he remained with at least one parent and was not adopted out. Also, he was the youngest of all his half-siblings, and he did have a half-sister who was adopted.
The youngest of the half-siblings doesn't go with what Misty says. I didn't catch that part. What point in the audio?
Did she say he was the youngest on one side of the family?

While Fitzpatrick couldn't be totally forthcoming with additional info, it seems he remained with at least one parent and was not adopted out. Also, he was the youngest of all his half-siblings, and he did have a half-sister who was adopted.

At one point she said he had "siblings and half siblings", do you think that she mis-spoke or could some of his siblings be full siblings?. Also, now we know he was the youngest, it seems clear why the maternal side are so against being identified. I don't think they should be held accountable for things that they couldn't control in childhood but I can see why they would be unwilling to come forward, even if I don't agree. MOO

I found it interesting that she said NONE of the theories about what happened to JAZ were correct. We can definitely eliminate the M theory.
I still to need listen but Colleen said that? How would she know.

If there's still an uncle who's alive, the related parent must have been the oldest.
Not necessarily. People can die at any time of life, and even siblings who live to a ripe old age don't die neatly in order. My grandfather had an older brother who died in his fifties. My grandad lived to his eighties. His brother and his brother's wife were killed in a department store fire. Good genes don't stop you getting hit by a bus or developing an occupation-related illness or being killed by a mugger. The uncle might have been the eldest and just lived a life that sidestepped things that his siblings didn't. He could be much younger, and closer to Joseph's age if he had lived, or he could be a hundred and nine and still beating the pants off the other folks at the retirement home playing bingo. We just don't know.

Not necessarily. People can die at any time of life, and even siblings who live to a ripe old age don't die neatly in order. My grandfather had an older brother who died in his fifties. My grandad lived to his eighties. His brother and his brother's wife were killed in a department store fire. Good genes don't stop you getting hit by a bus or developing an occupation-related illness or being killed by a mugger. The uncle might have been the eldest and just lived a life that sidestepped things that his siblings didn't. He could be much younger, and closer to Joseph's age if he had lived, or he could be a hundred and nine and still beating the pants off the other folks at the retirement home playing bingo. We just don't know.
Considering that Joseph would have been almost 70 today I lean more towards what I said.

I only heard half siblings being discussed. No full siblings. For now I assume there weren't any full siblings at all.

Plus all theories are wrong thus the mother was not unwed when Joseph was born.

The way Colleen says Joseph was living with his parents or at least with one of them makes me wonder:

if the mother was married but got pregnant by another man and also put his name on the certificate. Not likely imo.

If the mother had remarried and Joseph was born out of this new union but no other children were born.

If the mother had remarried and already had Joseph. And he was the only child of that previous marriage.

If there's still an uncle who's alive, the related parent must have been the oldest.
An uncle can be quite young. This would be Joseph's uncle and the uncle could be younger than Joseph.
I found out I had a great uncle who is only a few years older than me because my mom's grandfather remarried a much younger woman and walla. (I think my parents were too embarrassed to tell me that this young boy was my mother's uncle)
Her youngest uncle was born in 1953 and she was born in 1932. Go figure!

My great grandfather was in his 60's and he started a new family after his first wife died.

Last edited:
An uncle can be quite young. This would be Joseph's uncle and the uncle could be younger than Joseph.
I found out I had a great uncle who is only a few years older than me because my mom's grandfather remarried a much younger woman and walla. (I think my parents were too embarrassed to tell me that this young boy was my mother's uncle)
Her youngest uncle was born in 1953 and she was born in 1932. Go figure!

My great grandfather was in his 60's and he started a new family after his first wife died.
That's what I meant. The parent is way older than his/her brother who's Joseph's uncle.

Reading between the lines: I think something in the genealogy research indicates that LE thinks someone known to the family in some shape or form. (yeah I'm being vague) might be involved with JAZ's death.

A hypothetical example could be: Maybe there was a step parent somewhere with a criminal record or something like that. Or someone who was living at Joseph's address (maybe a background check revealed a record of someone with Joseph's address around the time of his death.)

There are all sorts of possibilities, but I kinda think, just based on Colleen and LE, there might be a paper connection to the person they believe could be responsible for Joseph's death.

All just MOO...

Last edited:
The only interesting thing imo is that she said that Joseph had a half sister who was adopted. Her words were actually adopted out. Out where to??

Btw. Why weren't baptism records checked? I want to know if he was because wouldn't the priest inquire about the child?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biph
Back