Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He had scars from what was believed to be an IV line. The location of the scar on his ankle certainly indicates vascular access. And, I don't think it's at all out of the realm of possibility this could have been related to blood transfusions.

jmo

I agree the ankle scars are quite likely from a cut down for vascular access— and you’re right, that could have occurred when he was older.

I know some have theorized he may have been born prematurely. If so, he might have been treated with IV’s and oxygen. The oxygen can cause eye damage and even blindness— a possible explanation for why he had dye in his eye when found. He also had a chest scar consistent with a chest tube. I think I remember Friday Fan bringing this up earlier— please correct me if I’m wrong.
I’m leaning towards prematurity right now— that would explain all of the above: Cutdown for IV access, chest tube for possible collapsed lung and diagnostic eye dye for Retinopathy of Prematurity.

I know some have theorized he may have been born prematurely. If so, he might have been treated with IV’s and oxygen. The oxygen can cause eye damage and even blindness— a possible explanation for why he had dye in his eye when found. He also had a chest scar consistent with a chest tube. I think I remember Friday Fan bringing this up earlier— please correct me if I’m wrong.
I’m leaning towards prematurity right now— that would explain all of the above: Cutdown for IV access, chest tube for possible collapsed lung and diagnostic eye dye for Retinopathy of Prematurity.

We believe we are thinking along the same lines (kinda/sorta) :)

I agree the ankle scars are quite likely from a cut down for vascular access— and you’re right, that could have occurred when he was older.

If all the procedures were done when he was a newborn (and he had not received medical treatment since) this may explain why no one in the medical field recognized him at age 4... maybe?! It's always puzzled me why no doctor, nurse, med. assistant of any sort came forward.

Last edited:
According to this article, exchange transfusions were done in the 1950’s, although through the umbilical vein, not a cutdown:

“In 1951, Louis Diamond, Fred Allen, and William Thomas, physicians at the Children’s Medical Center, published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine describing improved techniques for exchange transfusion to treat elevated bilirubin levels due to EF in newborn infants. They suggested using the umbilical vein as the site of transfusion, and that a single polyethylene tube be used to withdraw the infant’s blood and sequentially replace it with donor blood. They stated that the umbilical vein is the best location for transfusion because there is less chance for scarring and it is easily identified through the umbilical cord on newborns.”

EF is erythroblastosis fetalis.
I did not know they used the umbilical vein back then! Of course it is dependent on the condition of the cord.

However, most cases, I saw were for infants who were at least 24 hours old and not EF.

The ankle scar was said to be "surgical" wasn't it? If so, it was most likely a broken ankle that had to be repaired. If he had had surgery before age 4 that would be the most likely reason. I would guess the groin scar was an inguinal hernia repair. He was said to have a scar on his chin too, if he broke an ankle in perhaps a car accident, he may have smacked his chin too. IMO
My guess is he was privately adopted and his adoptive parents may be deceased which is why LE says they have a good idea what happened.

The ankle scar was said to be "surgical" wasn't it? If so, it was most likely a broken ankle that had to be repaired. If he had had surgery before age 4 that would be the most likely reason. I would guess the groin scar was an inguinal hernia repair. He was said to have a scar on his chin too, if he broke an ankle in perhaps a car accident, he may have smacked his chin too. IMO
My guess is he was privately adopted and his adoptive parents may be deceased which is why LE says they have a good idea what happened.
Yes, considering the age of MA when she gave birth, the adoptive parents, be they via a formal adoption or are family, friends, etc., are likely as old or older than MA and likely dead. So sad and unjust that the people or persons who are responsible for the torture and death of this poor boy will never be held accountable in this life. The next one, not so much. Real and final justice.

I don't think the scar on his chin is relevant to any medical condition. Most likely it's a typical childhood mishap..MOO
Why do you think that? He had evidence of horrific treatment. Couldn’t the scar be from physical abuse?

Why do you think that? He had evidence of horrific treatment. Couldn’t the scar be from physical abuse?

The ankle, chest and groin all appear to be from a type of medical intervention.

The chin could be from abuse, but it's quite small and lots of kids have accidents. My daughter ran into a play pen hinge when she was one. Had to get stitches on an eyebrow.

I am rambling but if he was infact given to someone else, i wonder if the birth mom even saw him after birth? That’s assuming. Because that could explain why she didn’t potentially recognize him. jmo if she didn’t take care of him.

I am rambling but if he was infact given to someone else, i wonder if the birth mom even saw him after birth? That’s assuming. Because that could explain why she didn’t potentially recognize him. jmo if she didn’t take care of him.
It seems unlikely that she would have named him if this were the case.

If all the procedures were done when he was a newborn (and he had not received medical treatment since) this may explain why no one in the medical field recognized him at age 4... maybe?! It's always puzzled me why no doctor, nurse, med. assistant of any sort came forward.
I thought they found that he had a special kind of dye (from eyedrops) in his eyes at the autopsy?

Adoption or private fostering is the most likely scenario here.

But since LE stated the block he was living on <modsnip> and also originally stated that JAZ stayed with a parent, there is yet the possibility JAZ stayed with her. She worked in the cinema to make ends meet and met her future husband there. They married and had their own kids. We know nothing about the husband.<modsnip> It would explain why mens clothing was found with JAZ.

I know it is probably not likely since there are surviving siblings that would have probably remembered or heard something (though they were babies). But it is another route and i find it strange that LE dropped so many hints.

JMOO

Last edited by a moderator:
A broken ankle that required surgical intervention would be very noticeable.

Joseph's body was extensively x-rayed and had no previously broken or currently broken bones. It was reported they did this in contemporaneous articles. A missing child they thought he might be had had a broken bone in the past, and they easily excluded him as that child because of this.

My personal opinion is that she probably knew or at least suspected the boy in the news stories was Joseph but didn't feel safe telling anyone about it. I don't think it was just that she didn't want to get into trouble, I really believe she felt she might be in danger if she said anything. For instance, totally speculating here, but if she left Joseph with a family member who had a volatile boyfriend or husband, everyone may have been too scared to say anything.

I have a strong feeling that Joseph wasn't adopted. I think she kept him and raised him and then married her husband. After their baby together was born I would guess stress was high in the home <modsnip>

I have a strong feeling that Joseph wasn't adopted. I think she kept him and raised him and then married her husband. After their baby together was born I would guess stress was high in the home <modsnip>
Whatever home Joseph was in, whichever adults lived in the home would bear responsibility for the fact that he was severely malnourished. That isn't a impulsive, reactive action like striking out. It's deliberate withholding of the necessities of life. Look at the extended family that are getting charged in Jasmine and Nicole Snyder's deaths. This link should go directly to a post about an article about one of the accused, a 'grandparent' who claims he's not responsible but obviously knew the girls were starving because he told a third party he tried to sneak the girls crackers. He had the knowledge of the abuse and the freedom to save those girls, and he didn't, and that's why he's facing charges.

GUILTY - PA - Jasmine, 4, & Nicole Snyder, 6, starved to death, Lycoming Co, 10 Sep 2021 *arrests*

Was the information about the baked beans public at the time.

i don't think we got absolute clarification on this point.
Martha was discussed in the book written about the case years ago, but I am pretty sure the baked bean part was never clarified.

perhaps someone else remembers more clearly.

According to this article, exchange transfusions were done in the 1950’s, although through the umbilical vein, not a cutdown:

“In 1951, Louis Diamond, Fred Allen, and William Thomas, physicians at the Children’s Medical Center, published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine describing improved techniques for exchange transfusion to treat elevated bilirubin levels due to EF in newborn infants. They suggested using the umbilical vein as the site of transfusion, and that a single polyethylene tube be used to withdraw the infant’s blood and sequentially replace it with donor blood. They stated that the umbilical vein is the best location for transfusion because there is less chance for scarring and it is easily identified through the umbilical cord on newborns.”

EF is erythroblastosis fetalis.

However, I have noticed that information that comes out in professional journals often does not take effect in medical practice for some time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back