Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, he will be recognised as existing! But sadly as with a lot of these cases, he was loved and cherished more in death as an unknown child by strangers all around the world, just not by his own flesh and blood. We can only speculate and imagine what this little boy went through physically and emotionally in life. Somehow it seems wrong to put his real name on his headstone, hear me out, obviously his name was given by those that did not care for or even want him! That name is linked to his misery and death. Maybe there is a way to give him a posthumous name and identity to put on his grave that shows that people, even strangers, loved him dearly.
I don't give a rats you know what who this prominent family is, they deserve to be named and shamed and then lost in obscurity to history! They deserve no second thought!

At the end of the day, he will be recognised as existing! But sadly as with a lot of these cases, he was loved and cherished more in death as an unknown child by strangers all around the world, just not by his own flesh and blood. We can only speculate and imagine what this little boy went through physically and emotionally in life. Somehow it seems wrong to put his real name on his headstone, hear me out, obviously his name was given by those that did not care for or even want him! That name is linked to his misery and death. Maybe there is a way to give him a posthumous name and identity to put on his grave that shows that people, even strangers, loved him dearly.
I don't give a rats you know what who this prominent family is, they deserve to be named and shamed and then lost in obscurity to history! They deserve no second thought!
Some would say that they deserve the ignominy that would come with having the boy's true name out there.

Odd or flat on back heads can often be attributed to babies being left in cribs in the same position for extended times. : (

Amateur opinion and speculation
I'm not saying this to argue, but my son has this on the back of his. I had him when there was a big emphasis on cot death and not having babies sleeping on their backs. It didn't matter which way I placed him he always ended up on his back and always the same side. He did sleep a lot as well though

I'm not saying this to argue, but my son has this on the back of his. I had him when there was a big emphasis on cot death and not having babies sleeping on their backs. It didn't matter which way I placed him he always ended up on his back and always the same side. He did sleep a lot as well though
Having babies sleep on their backs actually helps prevent cot death (or crib death as we call it here in the U.S.).

Ironically, the most influential expert on child care of the past century—DR. Benjamin Spock—likely caused the death of thousands of babies by recommending that parents make them sleep of their stomachs. His reasoning was that a baby sleeping on its back might choke on its own vomit if it spit up during the night. Actually, that almost never happens. Babies who sleep on their stomachs are far more likely to die of crib death.

Having babies sleep on their backs actually helps prevent cot death (or crib death as we call it here in the U.S.).

Ironically, the most influential expert on child care of the past century—DR. Benjamin Spock—likely caused the death of thousands of babies by recommending that parents make them sleep of their stomachs. His reasoning was that a baby sleeping on its back might choke on its own vomit if it spit up during the night. Actually, that almost never happens. Babies who sleep on their stomachs are far more likely to die of crib death.
You may have a point there actually, my son is 22 but back in 2000 they did suggest putting them on their tummies. Im so glad my child bearing days are done lol

I hear what you're saying about his name, but I want him to have his real name back, so that all the generations of moms, big sisters and aunts (and dads, big brothers and uncles!) all around the world that have loved him even though they never met him, can call him by his real name. He deserves that.

jmo

You may have a point there actually, my son is 22 but back in 2000 they did suggest putting them on their tummies. Im so glad my child bearing days are done lol
I am surprised that that was still being recommended in 2000! The research connecting crib death to babies' sleeping on their stomachs was well established by the early '90s. I guess it takes a while for research to be disseminated amongst the professional community.

Crib Death Risk Tied to Sleeping on Stomach

Here's a good article on the syndrome. In the case of TBITB, I *speculate* his head shape was pronounced due to lack of care, holding, etc. Only speculation, of course.

I am surprised that that was still being recommended in 2000! The research connecting crib death to babies' sleeping on their stomachs was well established by the early '90s. I guess it takes a while for research to be disseminated amongst the professional community.

Crib Death Risk Tied to Sleeping on Stomach
Yes maybe. Getting back on topic though I had never heard of this beautiful baby having a dent in his head.

Yes maybe. Getting back on topic though I had never heard of this beautiful baby having a dent in his head.
I guess the real question is whether that dent is indicative of neglect. The article posted by @rosesfromangels makes it clear that we can't state that conclusively.

The fact that he was from a prominent family but ended up the way he did does suggest to me that he may have been either mentally handicapped or born out of wedlock. Clearly, the family would have had the means to provide adequate care if they had chosen to do so.

Here's a good article on the syndrome. In the case of TBITB, I *speculate* his head shape was pronounced due to lack of care, holding, etc. Only speculation, of course.

Point number one: in this case sadly it would make a lot of sense jmo, there were signs of mistreatment.

Point number 2: I never knew it had a name, it was pointed out to drs and health visitors etc and I was told not to worry that it would sort itself out. I suspect I was placed on my stomach as that's how I sleep.

John Doe 1957
NCMU1231830c1.jpg

• Date Found
    • Feb 25, 1957
    • Location Found
    • Philadelphia, PA
    • Estimated Age
    • 4-6
    • Sex
    • Male
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Unknown
    • Estimated Height
    • 3'3"
    • Estimated Weight
    • 30 lbs
A young unidentified boy was found in Philadelphia, PA on February 25, 1957. He was found inside a cardboard box with a blanket around him located in a wooded area of Northeast Philadelphia’s Fox Chase neighborhood, near the intersection of Verree and Susquehanna Road near Pennypack Park. The child had only been deceased a few days. He was estimated to be 4-6 years old, stood about 3’3” tall and weighed around 3o pounds. He appeared to be malnourished. He had short brown hair that was crudely chopped and buzzed. He had several small scars over his body. He had a small well healed scar under his chin and two small scars on his
groin and left ankle that might have been from a prior medical procedure. The image above is a facial reconstruction created by a NCMEC forensic artist and depicts what this child may have looked like in life.
  • Philadelphia Police Department (Pennsylvania) 1-215-686-3334 and Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office (Pennsylvania) 1-215-685-7445
LINK:

Have you seen this child? JOHN DOE1957
Bringing this forward to refresh everyone’s memory.

I have never, in my whole life, been able to fall asleep on my back. I always have to be on my side or my stomach in order to sleep. My mother told me that, when I was a baby, the only way she could get me to fall asleep, was to lie down on her back, and put me on top of her on my belly.

Can anyone clarify what day the press announcement is due to take place? I’m so incredibly interested to find out this poor little ones name
This is actually a really good question. I couldn't find the answer, which isn't good because I'm sure many of us would love to tune in. Hopefully they'll update us soon.

Fantastic news! I have been following this case for decades.

Glad to see - to get the little boys name back, so his short life will not be nameless for long....
„The Boy in the Box“: Mysteriöser Kindsmord nach 65 Jahren vor Aufklärung - WELT
I recall hearing about this case decades ago as well—perhaps on Unsolved Mysteries, perhaps on a similar show. Many of the "big" unsolved mysteries from decades ago are getting solved. I'm running out of cases to follow!

2nd through 4th cousins may not resemble each other, and probably don't even know the others exist.

Anecdote: Genetic genealogy recently revealed two cousins about that far out on my own family tree. Long story made short: It involved an affair with a neighbor, and all these kids played and went to school together, having no idea they were actually half-siblings! The man died quite young, and there was evidence that the woman knew that two of the kids weren't her husband's but AFAIK neither spouse ever found out about the affair.
Each family is different. When I grew up almost all of my paternal family lived in the same neighborhood or close by so I knew all my 2nd,3rd and however many cousins.
Now on my moms side- I only know my 1st cousins. I’ve seen pics of some others & oddly enough my moms cousins daughter or something or other & my sister could be twins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste