Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to speculate I would guess that the birth father was very abusive, all the children were traumatized and they guessed that something terrible happened to Joseph but forced themselves to pretend nothing happened and move on with their lives. They were also probably still too scared of their father to come forward and kept it as a family secret. I would imagine that the parents are both now deceased.

I believe LE just explained that a living sibling‘s DNA was part of the identification process. From that I infer that the siblings have likely known for weeks, if not months.

It’s interesting to consider, how might we as individuals each react to a situation such as this? If I were that living sibling … I think personally my desire for family privacy would be long since past, particularly if my parents were deceased. Actually … even if they were alive, I’d feel this way. I’d also be at this press conference. Physically.

Are we assuming the parents are still living? If they weren't, it seems like they would have made that clear, lest the press be tempted to look for them/harass the family.

Reactions: IDK
I believe LE just explained that a living sibling‘s DNA was part of the identification process. From that I infer that the siblings have likely known for weeks, if not months.

It’s interesting to consider, how might we as individuals each react to a situation such as this? If I were that living sibling … I think personally my desire for family privacy would be long since past, particularly if my parents were deceased. Actually … even if they were alive, I’d feel this way. I’d also be at this press conference. Physically.

I think it's a really common response to just try to bury the trauma and try not to engage with it ever again. And this is commonly seen in Doe cases when the Doe came from an abusive, traumatized home. The kids just grow up and kind of try to forget about their past; everyone goes their separate ways.

That was not so weird back then. My dad (b. 1950) and his siblings have sequential SSNs, because their parents didn't apply for them until years after all were born. They were rural, but not, like, mega rural.
I lived in a large city and I remember going to the Social Security Office with my 4 siblings (and Mom) and we all got our numbers. They are sequential except for mine(!)

There are most assuredly dozens of completely unrelated Zarellis living in Philadelphia, Delco and Chester Counties whose phones and Facebooks are blowing up right now with texts asking if this is their brother/uncle/great-uncle, and could their parents/grandparents be murderers? I don‘t think this strategy of giving living relatives the option to remain anonymous accounted for the impact on these dozens of other people.

That was not so weird back then. My dad (b. 1950) and his siblings have sequential SSNs, because their parents didn't apply for them until years after all were born. They were rural, but not, like, mega rural.
I did not get an SSN until I was older than this child. 1987 is apparently when it became more typical for babies to be issued one at birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487