PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFemale UP446, 34-65, sorority key necklace "AZB" E. MATHIS, no head, found in trash bag mixed w/ soil, Dec'06

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
The Doe Network:
486UFPA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/486ufpa.html
hotcase751%28a%29.jpg
hotcase751%28b%29.jpg

Alpha Zeta Beta sorority key with the name "E. Mathis" on it
Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on December 8, 2006 in Kensington, Pennsylvania
  • Investigators suspect she had been dug up elsewhere and dumped in this lot at a later date.
  • Cause of Death: Undetermined
  • Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 34 - 62 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 4" - 5' 8".
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown or auburn hair. Four red acrylic fingernails also were recovered.
  • Personal Effects: A key from the Alpha Zeta Beta sorority, inscribed with "Life Member" and "June 2, 1946," as well as "E. Mathis"
  • DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located in a black plastic trash bag near Tusculum Street, in Kensington, Pennsylvania on December 8, 2006.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office
215-823-7472
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCIC Number:
N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Philly.com 6/18/07

I googled Alpha Zeta Beta and didn't come up with much. I found a school in Va. that has a Alpha Zeta Beta chapter and one in Michigan. I wonder if the police have checked those out?

ETA: Found another one in Conneticut and there is a seller on ebay with a pin from this sorority.

Posted on Mon, Jun. 18, 2007
var partnerID=166771; var _hb=1; window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; email this
print this
reprint or license this

Putting a name on one of the city's dead

Detectives say it's not as easy as on TV.

By Joseph A. Gambardello

Inquirer Staff Writer

20070618_inq_pdead18-b.JPG

APRIL SAUL / Inquirer Staff Photographer
Forensic-services manager David Quain with a bust of an unidentified boy from 1957, says, "On TV there is an element of truth . . . but they take an element of truth and make it fantastic."
» More images

The skeletal remains of a woman were found in a black plastic trash bag in Kensington on Dec. 8.
The bones were mixed with soil, leading investigators to suspect that they had been dug up elsewhere and dumped in a lot near Tusculum Street.
Six months later, the woman's identity remains unknown. One clue, a sorority key with the name E. Mathis on it, might provide an answer - but only if someone can recognize it and if, in fact, it belonged to the woman.
For the investigators at the Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office, this is one of the rare situations in which they have not yet put a name to one of the city's dead.
Many cases are straightforward. Some a bit harder. A few - including this one, perhaps - impossible.
The morgue detectives will tell you that seldom, if ever, do their cases play out as they do on TV, where CSI programs mix science with fiction to produce entertaining mysteries with neatly packaged endings.
"On TV there is an element of truth . . . but they take an element of truth and make it fantastic," said David Quain, forensic-services manager at the Medical Examiner's Office. "But it really isn't the way it works."
In the real world, investigators carry photos of the dead or of tattoos on discolored flesh and show them around. They seek out dental records and X-rays and even photographs of smiling faces that can be used to see whether the teeth match those of the deceased.
Most often, they take fingerprints - if the dead still have flesh - and wait for a match.
Even that, Quain said, might not yield a proper identification, because criminals don't always give their real names when arrested, making it harder to find next of kin.
Of course, there's DNA, but if detectives have no idea who the person is, DNA is of little use because it must be compared to that of a blood relative.
And it takes time.
"DNA is kind of a last resort," Quain said. "Fingerprints can be done in a day. Dental workups can be done in a day. DNA can take weeks or months."
DNA is used to confirm an identity, not establish it, he said.
A team of 10 investigators, backed by technicians, works around the clock, staffing a communications desk and going out to scenes of homicides or unusual deaths, Quain said.
About 300 bodies or sets of remains arrive at the Medical Examiner's Office each year as unknowns.
Many are quickly identified.
For example, word of a fatal shooting can spread quickly through a neighborhood, carrying the bad news to the victim's family.
Shortly thereafter, relatives show up at the morgue and make an ID.
But even then, Quain said, investigators have to be careful. He recalled a case in which a woman who heard her daughter had been shot went to the Medical Examiner's Office, on University Avenue, and made an identification - only to be doubly shocked when her daughter returned home later.
"She was so upset and so distraught, she never actually looked closely. She already accepted" it was her daughter, Quain said. "That's why we like to do scientific means whenever we can, fingerprints being one of them."
Besides identifications, investigators help pathologists determine manner of death: natural causes, homicide, suicide or an accident. The medical examiner establishes the cause of death if a doctor has not provided one.
Along with fingerprints and dental records, tattoos - now common on both men and women - and body piercings are helping more and more to identify bodies, morgue detectives have found.
A trend in which relatives get a tattoo with a victim's name - or nickname - and sometimes the date of death has assisted investigators in recent years, Quain said.
"They are one more way to put the pieces together," he said, adding that running the tattoo information through the office's database has helped investigators find kin.
Those who remain unidentified are eventually cremated after experts take a DNA sample for possible future analysis; the ashes are stored at the morgue with the cremains of those who were identified but unclaimed for whatever reason.
How the woman found with the sorority key died, like her identity, remains unknown. The Alpha Zeta Beta key also was inscribed with "Life Member" and "June 2, 1946." Four red acrylic fingernails also were recovered.
Anthropological examination indicates the woman was white, 5-foot-4 to 5-8, and 34 to 62 years old with brown or auburn hair.
If all efforts fail to identify the woman, chances are that her remains will one day be cremated and end up in the modern-day equivalent of potter's field.
Contact staff writer Joseph A. Gambardello at 215-854-2153 or jgambardello@phillynews.com.

I wonder why the age range is so large. Seems like they could narrow it down closer than that.

I would think this should be solvable via the AZB connection.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 751
hotcase751(a).jpg
hotcase751(b).jpg

Alpha Zeta Beta sorority key with the name "E. Mathis" on it
Unidentified White Female
  • The victim was discovered on December 8, 2006 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
  • Partial Skeleton - head not recovered
  • Estimated Year of Death: 2001

Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: 34 - 65 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 4" - 5' 8".
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown or auburn hair. Four red acrylic fingernails also were recovered. She had arthritis on the lumbar vertibrae.
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Thin, white torn clothing possibly from a blouse, skirt, or dress. No pattern, size, or brand evident; darker color nylon knee high stockings. Yellow metal necklace and charm. The charm is a sorority key with missing stones and is inscripted with "AZB", E. MATHIS, Life Member June 2, 1946, Alpha Delta."
  • DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located in a black plastic trash bag in a vacant lot, near Tusculum Street, in the Kensington section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on December 8, 2006. Investigators suspect she had been dug up elsewhere and dumped in this lot at a later date.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Philadelphia Medical Examiner
Steve Olszewski
215-685-7445
Email

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
06-5308

NCIC Number:
U490018644

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
Philly.com 6/18/07
Unidentified Deceased Reporting System

I'm really wondering if this is the victim's key. The inscription says "Life Member" and the date "June 2, 1946." If it was the victim's birthday, it might make sense because that would have made her 60 when found and 55 when she was killed/buried. But I would think that the key would commemorate the date the person became a life member, not their own birthday, if that makes any sense. I am wondering if this could be the key belonging to a female relative of the victim as the date would indicate that the person was at least 18 in 1946 if the date was a commemoration rather than a birthday.

I was also thinking about the motivation for moving the body. Why move a body that's been buried for up to 5 years? There are only a couple of reasons I can think of. One is the property where she was buried was being developed or sold. Another is that the person who buried her has/had a terminal disease and wanted her off the property before she was found after the burier died.

With the head and the small bones of the feet missing, it makes me think perhaps she was buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the woods where there was animal activity.

The age range may be so great because they don't have her head and can't look at teeth, etc. She may have lived a hard life and that may contribute to the authorities being unsure of her age as they do not have an intact body to work with.

I do think this is a solvable case.

I will contact the myspace person. Great find! I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

I'm really wondering if this is the victim's key. The inscription says "Life Member" and the date "June 2, 1946." If it was the victim's birthday, it might make sense because that would have made her 60 when found and 55 when she was killed/buried. But I would think that the key would commemorate the date the person became a life member, not their own birthday, if that makes any sense. I am wondering if this could be the key belonging to a female relative of the victim as the date would indicate that the person was at least 18 in 1946 if the date was a commemoration rather than a birthday.

I was also thinking about the motivation for moving the body. Why move a body that's been buried for up to 5 years? There are only a couple of reasons I can think of. One is the property where she was buried was being developed or sold. Another is that the person who buried her has/had a terminal disease and wanted her off the property before she was found after the burier died.

With the head and the small bones of the feet missing, it makes me think perhaps she was buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the woods where there was animal activity.

The age range may be so great because they don't have her head and can't look at teeth, etc. She may have lived a hard life and that may contribute to the authorities being unsure of her age as they do not have an intact body to work with.

I do think this is a solvable case.
How about a graduation date?

Here is the exact page of info and some details seem a little different which may be due to time having passed.

". . . The charm is a sorority key with missing stones and is inscripted with "AZB", E. MATHIS, Life Member June 2, 1946, Alpha Delta.. . ."

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase751.html

My question would be is it an alpha delta sorority or an azb sorority or society or is it the alpha delta chapter of the azb?

Note: I added the bolding on the words alpha delta.

Based on the Porchlight research, I think it is the alpha delta chapter of alpha zeta beta...I think you can ignore that tri-county link because that refers to the alpha zeta beta chapter of phi beta kappa.

I think the problem with finding the info on this group is it is a defunct chapter of a mainly philanthropic as opposed to primarily social organization. If it didn't own a physical house, there are probably less public records on the group.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back