PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFemale UP446, 34-65, sorority key necklace "AZB" E. MATHIS, no head, found in trash bag mixed w/ soil, Dec'06

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have located Edna Mathis from Collinswood NJ in the 1930 census. She also had a husband and a son. All three I have also found deaths reported in the SS death index. Edna in 2000 IF I found the correct one. Her son in 1993, and Edna Jan 2000, providing I found the correct Edna which I am pretty sure I did.

I have emailed ALL this information to the medical examiner. I have yet to find an obituary to see if there was other family members by that time.

I was thinking of this case yesterday while attending an estate auction. I was bidding on a box of old jewlery and inside I found an old class ring. I asked one of the workers about it and they said the family didn't want any of the stuff and it was not uncommon for class rings to be sold by the heirs.
Class rings are often pawned (by the family) they told me . So there ya go. Maybe that explains how the girl got the ring if she isn't family. I know here in TN, class rings are very cheap in pawnshops. (I asked my brother who use to own a shop. $5-$20)

I was thinking of this case yesterday while attending an estate auction. I was bidding on a box of old jewlery and inside I found an old class ring. I asked one of the workers about it and they said the family didn't want any of the stuff and it was not uncommon for class rings to be sold by the heirs.
Class rings are often pawned (by the family) they told me . So there ya go. Maybe that explains how the girl got the ring if she isn't family. I know here in TN, class rings are very cheap in pawnshops. (I asked my brother who use to own a shop. $5-$20)

Hi pixies, I hope you don't mind, but I quoted this post over to the Princess Blue forum - we're dealing with a class ring on an UID over there, and you make a good point. :)

I'd so appreciate any help from anyone who knows or is a member of AZB. This might help to identify this uid. This is a society for women, who do charity work. It is not college related.

Wind

Hi 1MoreHome,

I wish I could help but alas I am not an AZB member.

I just wanted to give you and FYI that the above link is not working.

Best of luck in your search for a name for this person.

StillHoping

So, has this person been identified or not and/or have the relatives of the E. Mathis been contacted? If not, I found her obit which listed several relatives. There's just several different threads and I have no idea which one to post to.

I feel like LE or someone has probably already contacted this family, since the obit was pretty easy to find and I don't want to bother anyone (who knows how many times the family may have been contacted) or make myself look silly tracking down a lead that LE has more than likely checked out (why wouldn't they?) along with other people on here.

I did check for missing people with the last names from the obit and came up with nothing. It's possible the piece of jewelry in question was sold or given to someone other than a family member but the family could at least point LE in the right direction as far as who/where it was sold or given to.

150_486UFPA_Key.jpg

Jewelry: yellow metal necklace and charm. The charm was a sorority key (pictured above), missing some stones, inscribed with "AZB" (Alpha Zeta Beta), E. Mathis, Life Member.

Unidentified White Female
Found December 8, 2006 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia County
DNA: Available
Estimated Year of Death: 1991
The victim's skeletal remains were found in a black plastic trash bag in a vacant lot near 100 E. Tusculum Street in the Kensington Area of Philadelphia. The bones were mixed in with soil. It appeared that they had been dug up from another location and dumped in the lot.

http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/phillyf120806065308.html

bump

three threads going for this case, can the mods merge and move to the UID forum?

There are two other threads going of this case. I bumped both. One here in the UID forum, and another in the located forum which dates back to before we had a UID forum. Maybe the mods can merge?

If LE has the womans identity, based on the sorority information, why is she still considered UID? Is there a chance that a grave robber dug up her body(as it appears that she died in 2000 according to the information found) and then discarded it?

If LE has the womans identity, based on the sorority information, why is she still considered UID? Is there a chance that a grave robber dug up her body(as it appears that she died in 2000 according to the information found) and then discarded it?

The owner of the key has been identified, but it is unknown how the UID obtained the key or if the UID had any direct connection to the owner. As was mentioned in previous posts, the key could have been given away, pawned, even donated to good will. It could have been lost, stolen....

No one really posted whether or not anyone had contacted LE to find out if they ever researched how the key may have left family.

The owner of the key has been identified, but it is unknown how the UID obtained the key or if the UID had any direct connection to the owner. As was mentioned in previous posts, the key could have been given away, pawned, even donated to good will. It could have been lost, stolen....

No one really posted whether or not anyone had contacted LE to find out if they ever researched how the key may have left family.

I just reread the thread and found nothing stating the uid was not the key owner.

I just reread the thread and found nothing stating the uid was not the key owner.

The estimated date of death for the UID is 1991. If the Edna mentioned previously, was in fact the owner of this key she passed away in 2000. I presume if she was buried and not cremated, she was embalmed. I'm going to guess that if a buried body was dug up after being embalmed decomp still would not give the ME an estimated date of death 9 years earlier than her actual death, I could be wrong though.... (Not to mention, there would be evidence her grave was disturbed. I'm sure LE could find it through funeral records as her obit was found as a pp mentioned.) I think she would be a pretty easy rule in or out. )

I wonder if anyone has contacted LE to inquire whether or not anyone from Edna's family is still living to inquire about the key and whether or not it remained in the family or was stolen, or given away? IF that was followed up on, it wasn't posted.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly
Back