PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm watching an old fbi files episode and who should pop up, but Ray?

The Spring Dawn case?

If so, you might want to look at the reporter, Barbara Petito. She was the one oroginally suspected of being the "Mystery Woman," though ruled out later by LE.

The Spring Dawn case?

If so, you might want to look at the reporter, Barbara Petito. She was the one oroginally suspected of being the "Mystery Woman," though ruled out later by LE.

That's the one - interesting! I will take another look.

It's been almost a month without any posts on Ray's case. There's no new news as far as I know, but I'm thinking of him, and those who love him. Just so sad about the little grandson he's never seen.

The only thing that I would say is looking at all scandals with the AG and the State Supreme Court, it is difficult to imagine anything comparable with RFG, unless something illegal would surface.

I just recognized Ray on the FBI files episode from '98 and had to come here and take a peek into his thread. I see I'm not the only one who has seen the episode recently. I hope we'll have answers in his case someday.

Just wishing everyone happy holidays. :)

No, there have been no new developments.

To those who think RG absconded, what plausible reasons were there for him to do so?:thinking:

To those who think RG absconded, what plausible reasons were there for him to do so?:thinking:

First, i would not use "absconded," because the connotation was would be that he fled from prosecution.

Second, we do know that his estate was low, based on his salary. His heirs would receive his pension, in full. That can play into some of these possibilities.

Here are hypothetical possibilities:

1. RFG realized that his heirs would do better, financially, if he took his savings, moved it offshore, and then was declared dead. There would a favorable tax benefit.

2. RFG found the idea of striking out on his own appealing, the romance of the road. The "Route 66" scenario.

3. RFG wanted to show his mental superiority to everyone by pulling of a perfect vanishing act.

4. RFG hid money from his second wife in the 2001 divorce, which was concluded just before 9/11. He moved the money offsore, and after 9/11 realized it would be difficult to get it back into the US.

5. He was worried that someone associated with a case could come back and kill him. He left to protect himself/loved ones.

6. He didn't want to be "the ex-DA" and spend retirement answering questions about current or previous cases. .

7. Considering everything that has happened in the state recently, he could have been involved in something not above board and decided to get while the getting was good. (This is not my favorite scenario.)

Any of these reasons, perhaps in combination, could be "plausible." I've said that the "motive problem" is that there could be a number of potential motives, but we can't tell that he acted upon them.

Those are all logical possibilities.

Ray Gricar is one of the few missing persons that I think might have left for a new life someplace, rather than simply being a body that hasn't been found.

Those are all logical possibilities.

Ray Gricar is one of the few missing persons that I think might have left for a new life someplace, rather than simply being a body that hasn't been found.

It is possibly and I would say probable, but it is not proof.

I've considered a suicide possibility where RFG walked acrossed the bridge and killed himself in the wetland or wooded areas on the east side of the river. I doubt if he was ever in the river.

One of the theories advanced, questioned, discussed, etc. over the past 10.5 years is whether or not Ray Gricar could have been depressed. Depressed severely enough to commit suicide. Depressed severely enough to not fulfill his duties as Centre County DA or return home.I considered suicide a few times, because his social support seemed weak and narrow by his choice, and family support appeared to be even weaker through no one's fault, just circumstances of a middle- aged man. ( Parents deceased, only sibling deceased in very strange circumstances, a grown daughter living across the country, and three nephews living in another state and in varying stages of busy young adulthood).

Many things seem to keep happening with sitting DAs in Texas and the following is an example of how one depressed DA, Susan Hawk, DA for Dallas, could not keep her struggles from her co-workers, her ADAs- many of whom she fired when they questioned her decision- making lapses, or from the city of Dallas at large ( those who knew her, knew of her, had been defendants in her courtroom, etc). The following article is probably and hopefully the last in a year's worth of articles chronicling Susan Hawk's sudden disappearance for unknown reasons from her home for an extended period of time, her erratic behavior, her stay in a psychiatric facility, then her leave of absence for an unspecified reason shortly after her return ( she was in drug rehab. for approx. 30 days), and finally, her return to her position as DA on the advice and consent of her treating psychiatrists and mental health team.
There is also the parallel issue of the attempted removal of her from her position through a judicial process declaring her mentally unstable to serve in her elected position. A judge issued a ruling in the issue of her fitness to serve Dallas as DA this past week in her favor.

I waited to bring this to the Gricar discussion until the ending was clearly known because it's been a roller coaster of a very pretty DA, her divorce, the collapse of her family life and extending to her professional life. I sincerely hope this is a new beginning for her in all ways.

The following comes from the Dallas Morning News today, which is North Texas' most venerable newspaper.
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...a-fresh-start-but-its-not-a-vindication.html/

There is much more written about Susan Hawk's unexplained absences from office for a period of months twice in her term as DA in the mainstream media outlets. Much of it is in her own words, after her second and final return to office. It has been a very polarizing event for Dallas, and a big portion of a lady's life struggles. Most likely, the Dallas Morning News, from which the above " final ending" piece was written, will be the best source of information about what happened to her in her own words.

After the fact, she seems open and able to discuss her deep and fairly sudden deep depression and other associated psychiatric disorders which required emergency admission to a psychiatric facility, and to briefly explain her second extended absence for intensive in-patient drug detoxification and rehabilitation following an injury which required opiate-type medications a few months later. There are several worthwhile interviews with her and a news reporter in which she seems very candid. I believe there are lessons to be learned about how extreme personal stress combined with high-pressure professional responsibilities can affect some people.

While we know that Ray was not known to have any substance abuse or mental instability, nor was he publicly investigated for any wrongdoing, because I don't think there was any professional or personal wrongdoing, the case I have linked to shows just how open a DA's life is because it has to be so. There were members of the judiciary who tried to have this lady removed from office because she didn't tell everyone she was in a psychiatric facility for a couple of months. No one knew how she was or where she was. The situation escalated when she took a second unspecified leave of absence to seek help with her dependence on pain medication. She says now that it was a huge mistake not telling her office and other involved persons what had happened to her, but she was not in a mental state to talk with them or anyone else at the time.
Obviously, she DID reappear and had to face many months of questioning by reporters, the city council, hold public press conferences, etc. to try to regain her credibility and the gravitas of her position as Dallas District Attorney. She almost lost her career several times, and according to her statements, possible loss of her life, through attempted suicide, and then, through addiction to pain medications, which she doesn't discuss in great depth.

This is another example of why I do not think Ray committed suicide. To the best of my knowledge, her story the strongest recent high-profile personally driven story concerning a DA in a while. I think it's important to bring these other stories to light because one of them might shed some light on what happened to Ray and help drop another possibility down a bit when considering what happened to him.
Ms. Hawk's controversies have been very sad to watch, and very tense regarding her present and future abilities to be an effective and strong DA. One of the key points is that her staff noticed changes in behavior much sooner than she did They knew something was wrong, but they didn't know what or why. This is almost always the case in severe depression and other mood disorders in a person who lives their professional life in the scrutiny of the people they serve.Thanks to all who read the one news article I have linked, which is the most recent one, dated 1.10.2016 and will consider more strongly that if Ray had been depressed enough to either commit suicide OR leave his life for an uncertain future, the people working with him would have known something was seriously wrong in his life, and in his thought processes.

The information regarding Hawk is useful.

There were however numerous reports that RFG was acting unusually, in the month prior to disappearing.

There were however numerous reports that RFG was acting unusually, in the month prior to disappearing.

I thought the comments were from Patty before his medical records were obtained. She wanted the records opened, so she embellished what might have been a Saturday afternoon nap one day.

I don't recall anyone saying he acted unusual at work. One person said he sometimes slammed his door when he was in a hurry, or needed privacy to work on a case, and then we have the comment which I cannot quite verbatim but it was about a meeting scheduled for Oct. with a judge and it is said that Ray looked down and said he wouldn't be there.

I don't consider any of the above to be unusual. If someone critiqued our lives, especially in stressful times, and thought that something as innocent as* forgetting to send a friend a Christmas newsletter* was sinister instead of just an overlooked thing, then we are all freaking loons.
I consider Ray Gricar, by all accounts, and I do mean ALL, to be a very stable individual and a hard- working DA. There was no indication of excess alcohol intake, drug use, severe depression building to a more severe paranoia and psychosis in which multiple long-term employees were fired without notice, more than one suicide attempt, a bitter and public divorce in progress when the instability began, or any of the other things which bedeviled Susan Hawk.

I hope she will be fine, but I'm glad I'm a law-abiding person and do not reside in her jurisdiction. If I was to be a crime victim, I'm not sure she and her team would work extremely hard for justice to be meted out. JMO, and I really do want her to be a very stable person.

OTOH, I don't think there could have been a more stable person than Ray Gricar, overall, up until his last known whereabouts. He was always an asset to the county and the people who elected him, he was above reproach professionally, and after 10 and a half years, there is NO dirt on the man's personal reputation, either. This is a man who went to the hospital and read to Steve Sloane, who is a slimy slug of a human being IMO, but who was Ray's friend and his ADA at the time of his critical injuries.
I don't think for a moment that Ray would have tolerated Sloane's later drug addictions.

so what month jan,feb, or march of 05 that would be like a walk in the park maybe he really must have loved his parks as to make a stop at a few of them I am trying to count them all within them months not sure about 04 and just how many times did he go to sos or any other shop

As always, respectfully snipped.

I thought the comments were from Patty before his medical records were obtained. She wanted the records opened, so she embellished what might have been a Saturday afternoon nap one day.

I don't recall anyone saying he acted unusual at work. One person said he sometimes slammed his door when he was in a hurry, or needed privacy to work on a case, and then we have the comment which I cannot quite verbatim but it was about a meeting scheduled for Oct. with a judge and it is said that Ray looked down and said he wouldn't be there.

Other members of the courthouse staff noticed it, Arnold in particular (the week he disappeared). One CDT reporter noticed it (about 5 weeks prior). The people that were at the Prison Board meeting noticed it (the day before he disappeared). PEF noticed napping.

And sometimes Christmas letter get written in late January and early February, because the writer is so far behind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck