PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ray is gone -- if he left the country -- we are not going to find him...not unless he wants us to...

JJ, do you think anyone would have ever described Ray as having a "cold" side to his personality? I mean, I think many lawyers can be very clinical in that they must be logical and at times detached.

I guess I"m trying to figure out how easy it could be for someone like Ray to say, 'I'm done with this, leavin' on a jet plane to St. Somewhere, see ya!"

Someone is going to come back and post about how Ray could afford to live. The same way he could have had "secret" communications with someone on that water logged hard drive, he could also have had info about $$ in (overseas) accounts. I think I've asked this before, but is it impossible that he didn't over time direct some of his funds into a private account that others didn't know about?

Okay three points:

1. RFG generated a map from Bellefonte to Lewisburg on his office computer; he Googled for the map. He knew how to get there and it wasn't a reimbursable trip. The only reason would be to check the time it would take to get to Lewisburg, for himself or someone else.

2. From the search patten used by LE on the morning of 4/16, based solely on the cell phone record, it looks like RFG made the call in either the immediate vicinity of Centre Hall or some point west of Centre Hall. Had he delayed his departure by 25-45 minutes, he could have let the dog out. That points to some reason why RFG would need to be someplace at a specific time.

3. He was parked across from a museum next to the river, but right off Route 45 (literally less than 50 yards). It is an ideal spot for waiting for someone and the witnesses said that he looked like someone waiting for someone. He also moved the Mini a bit, which would left a space for someone else to pull it (I think there are only 3 parking spots at that point).

This is some fairly strong evidence that RFG was planning to meet someone in Lewisburg, in the afternoon of 4/15/05. (The first two just came out within the last three months.)

If Ray is gone -- if he left the country -- we are not going to find him...not unless he wants us to...

JJ, do you think anyone would have ever described Ray as having a "cold" side to his personality? I mean, I think many lawyers can be very clinical in that they must be logical and at times detached.

I guess I"m trying to figure out how easy it could be for someone like Ray to say, 'I'm done with this, leavin' on a jet plane to St. Somewhere, see ya!"

First, I'm interested in what happened to RFG, not where he is. Basically, if he was not the victim of foul play or suicide, I wish him well in his new endeavor.

We do know RFG talked to Sloane about a missing person case in Ohio, 7 years after it happened. That was the Mel Wiley case (You haven to Google that). RFG wasn't in Ohio when it happened and it had no ties to Centre County.

So, it is possible and RFG at least had a nonprofessional interest in the subject.

Someone is going to come back and post about how Ray could afford to live. The same way he could have had "secret" communications with someone on that water logged hard drive, he could also have had info about $$ in (overseas) accounts. I think I've asked this before, but is it impossible that he didn't over time direct some of his funds into a private account that others didn't know about?

In theory, yes, it is entirely possible. In fact, I do not know.

Those of you with problems seeing the blog might try the general page here:

http://www.centredaily.com/694

You can try another browser as well; I've generally had no problems with Firefox.

(Thus ends my blatant self promotion.)

These may be unanswerable at this point, but this is what I wonder about.

Someone asked about Ray's personality...From published reports, he appeared to be a person who may have been an intuitive thinker, in other words, not an outgoing people person...is this correct?

Other questions...

Was he someone who considered his role as a father "done" after his daughter became an adult, or was he closely attached to her as a father?

What was his reaction to his brother's suicide? Was he on the front line (so to speak) to observe the grief of the survivors?

Question that popped into my mind watching Disappeared again:

Would Ray have been so afraid of admitting he was involved with another woman that he chose to walk away & hurt his g/f, his daughter & his extended family? That seems highly doubtful IMO

But as for his work computer....if he was looking at how to erase the hard drive a year before he was retiring, that smacks of concern about professional material on there (ie. reviews of peers, emails etc). Let's face it - the guy could have easily afforded a private laptop or cell phone for "other" activity

Then again....why was the laptop & the hard drive tossed in the river? Yeah - I give up. This is one of those cases that will only be solved when the man or his remains turn up. Sad.

These may be unanswerable at this point, but this is what I wonder about.

Someone asked about Ray's personality...From published reports, he appeared to be a person who may have been an intuitive thinker, in other words, not an outgoing people person...is this correct?

The now retired president judge of the county called him, "A hard guy to know," and RFG appeared before him for possibly 25 years. Yes.

Other questions...

Was he someone who considered his role as a father "done" after his daughter became an adult, or was he closely attached to her as a father?

RFG divorced his first wife in 1992; he had not been the custodial parent since then, though they lived in the same town. His daughter was away at school for 4-6 years prior to RFG's disappearance.

They were close, talking several times a week at least briefly, but the contact was obviously limited.

What was his reaction to his brother's suicide? Was he on the front line (so to speak) to observe the grief of the survivors?

He had doubts, never expressed to his nephews, that his brother committed suicide. He served as "family spokesman" when his bother Roy committed suicide, but he had to come in from PA to OH.

Question that popped into my mind watching Disappeared again:

Would Ray have been so afraid of admitting he was involved with another woman that he chose to walk away & hurt his g/f, his daughter & his extended family? That seems highly doubtful IMO

Considering that there is no simultaneously missing woman, I'd tend to agree.

But as for his work computer....if he was looking at how to erase the hard drive a year before he was retiring, that smacks of concern about professional material on there (ie. reviews of peers, emails etc). Let's face it - the guy could have easily afforded a private laptop or cell phone for "other" activity

Well, excepting reviews of employees (he had no peers), virtually nothing "private" would be work related.

While RFG could have afforded a bunch of things, he was quite careful with money. He hadn't purchased the home computer until well after he'd started these inquiries.

Then again....why was the laptop & the hard drive tossed in the river? Yeah - I give up. This is one of those cases that will only be solved when the man or his remains turn up. Sad.

My guess would be private data and I think the case can be solved.

My guess would be private data and I think the case can be solved.[/quote]

snipped by me...

J.J.,

I've read this thread over the years, but I can't remember if this has been asked. Has anything been said about Ray being gay? Could that be the private issue?

Tori

J.J.,

I've read this thread over the years, but I can't remember if this has been asked. Has anything been said about Ray being gay? Could that be the private issue?

Tori

It has been mentioned on the Internet, but not be people who knew him. There were strong denials from friends. Largely, it has been "He drives a Mini so he much be gay," type of thing.

RFG had been married twice before and was living with his girlfriend. That does not preclude it, but it sure doesn't support the premise either.

Affair? (A straight one?)

More possible, or an encounter.

On 4/15/05, RFG was in a relationship with PEF, but not married. There were girlfriends between his first and second marriages. Their have been suggestions, even by people closer to RFG, that he could have been involved with someone other than PEF.

He was seen, by at least one witness, with a woman in Lewisburg. That witness was the first one LE had and nearly everyone jumped to a conclusion that he was with a specific woman, one that he had date in the 1990's. I've been told by some sources that she was accounted for and was out of state on 4/15.

If RFG was murdered, I think the most likely scenario was that he had met a woman and spent the night, if not the weekend with her. That is the scenario keeping me up at night.

Perhaps this will describe the gay/straight question.

On 4/16, several people apparently thought RFG might have been off with a woman. Nobody thought he was with a man.

Perhaps this will describe the gay/straight question.
That
On 4/16, several people apparently thought RFG might have been off with a woman. Nobody thought he was with a man.

Thanks, J.J. I'd read the other woman theories but I couldn't remember if anything had been asked about him possibly being gay or bi. There are some cases that just stick with you and this is one of them for me. I was just thinking of anything it could be. I just think he had to have gone for a reason and meeting someone seems like the best one. I sure do wish we'd have a conclusion...but then such is the life of reading on websleuths!!

T.

More possible, or an encounter.

On 4/15/05, RFG was in a relationship with PEF, but not married. There were girlfriends between his first and second marriages. Their have been suggestions, even by people closer to RFG, that he could have been involved with someone other than PEF.

He was seen, by at least one witness, with a woman in Lewisburg. That witness was the first one LE had and nearly everyone jumped to a conclusion that he was with a specific woman, one that he had date in the 1990's. I've been told by some sources that she was accounted for and was out of state on 4/15.

If RFG was murdered, I think the most likely scenario was that he had met a woman and spent the night, if not the weekend with her. That is the scenario keeping me up at night.

Within this scenario, how would you see that RFG could have been murdered? Jealous husband? Angry woman?

Within this scenario, how would you see that RFG could have been murdered? Jealous husband? Angry woman?

Possibly either, but I'd suspect the angry woman. I hate to keep saying this, but there is a blog on it. :)

Possibly either, but I'd suspect the angry woman. I hate to keep saying this, but there is a blog on it. :)

Sorry that I keep forgetting to check the blog. There are so many cases that I follow here on Websleuths....and then there is that thing called "life" that gets in the way of my many interests! Can you link the blog again? Thanks J. J.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member