PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM This bolded statement is quite curious to me. Why were troopers looking for this family? Where had they been? Were they reported missing prior to the murder?
I think you misread the original sentence:
"An investigator told the Times-News that troopers were looking into the whereabouts of Byler and her family 24 hours before her body was discovered or in the recent past."

IMO, the troopers have been looking (were looking and still are looking) into where the victim and her family members were during the 24 before she was killed (and also where they had been in the recent past).
Not that 24 hours before she was killed, troopers were looking for the family.

A syntax thing. Hope I explained my point of view understandably, English is not my first language. The poor choice of "troopers were looking" can give a wrong impression, imo the interviewer just writes in past tense because they spoke a while ago (well, at least before anyone reads that), and when they spoke, then the investigator told that they are looking. But at the time of the article, that's in the past. But now it can look like they "were looking 24 hours before" - I don't think that's the case here.

“I said, ‘Let’s hope when I come around the corner there’s not a person in sight,'” a man who drove for the family told WJET. “And it was just packed. I said, ‘Oh my god.’ I just can’t believe it. Why would someone do that to a young girl?”

i am confused at what this man is trying to say? can someone pls explain....?
Poor girl. So young with 2 children who now have to live without their mama.

How old are the kids ? Are they old enough to tell what they saw or even give a description of the killer ?
I am wondering the same, and if the husband has been cleared.
Women in the U.S. who are pregnant or who have recently given birth are more likely to be murdered than to die from obstetric causes—and these homicides are linked to a deadly mix of intimate partner violence and firearms, according to researchers from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Homicide deaths among pregnant women are more prevalent than deaths from hypertensive disorders, hemorrhage, or sepsis, wrote Rebecca Lawn, postdoctoral research fellow, and Karestan Koenen, professor of psychiatric epidemiology, in an October 19 editorial in the journal BMJ.

The U.S. has a higher prevalence of intimate partner violence than comparable countries, such violence is often fatal, and it frequently involves guns, Lawn and Koenen noted.

I think you misread the original sentence:
"An investigator told the Times-News that troopers were looking into the whereabouts of Byler and her family 24 hours before her body was discovered or in the recent past."

IMO, the troopers have been looking (were looking and still are looking) into where the victim and her family members were during the 24 before she was killed (and also where they had been in the recent past).
Not that 24 hours before she was killed, troopers were looking for the family.

A syntax thing. Hope I explained my point of view understandably, English is not my first language. The poor choice of "troopers were looking" can give a wrong impression, imo the interviewer just writes in past tense because they spoke a while ago (well, at least before anyone reads that), and when they spoke, then the investigator told that they are looking. But at the time of the article, that's in the past. But now it can look like they "were looking 24 hours before" - I don't think that's the case here.
Oops. English is my first (and only) language and I definitely misunderstood. This makes so much more sense now. Thank you for taking the time to post this explanation. I hope there is news of an arrest soon. MOO

i am confused at what this man is trying to say? can someone pls explain....?
In regards to this: “I said, ‘Let’s hope when I come around the corner there’s not a person in sight,'” a man who drove for the family told WJET. “And it was just packed. I said, ‘Oh my god.’ I just can’t believe it. Why would someone do that to a young girl?”

I think he means that when they turned the corner they would be seeing RBs house and he was hoping there wouldn't be any cars there because that would mean everything was ok.instead they saw a lot of (LE) vehicles and then he knew it was true.

MOO

Hmmm....I wonder if the autopsy showed something that points to her possibly being dead for longer than originally suspected. If that's the case, then the wanting to know what the family had been doing the 24 hours before she was found makes sense. JMO MOO

Hmmm....I wonder if the autopsy showed something that points to her possibly being dead for longer than originally suspected. If that's the case, then the wanting to know what the family had been doing the 24 hours before she was found makes sense. JMO MOO
Time of death might be based on stomach contents. Was that supper the night before, breakfast, or lunch?

Calculating a Very-Recent Time-of-Death
&
Post-Mortem Index

Introducing:
Pallor Mortis :: Corneal Opacity :: Algor Mortis ::
Rigor Mortis :: Livor Mortis :: Putrefaction

[Includes a 7 minute video]
&

Last edited:
In looking at the area, I noticed there are some buildings with purple roofs. I think it may be tin roofing? Haven’t seen that before, does it mean something in particular?
Probably that someone got a good deal on purple roofing, lol. It looks to me from the footage of the crime scene that it’s an area where pole buildings with metal roofing would be common. We have one at our house built by an Amish company, and our roof is red metal.

Slain pregnant Amish woman had cuts to her head and neck, police say.

...a woman, previously described by police as a family friend, called 911 at 12:36 p.m. to report that she and Andy Byler found Rebekah Byler unresponsive when they arrived.

Trooper Cynthia Schick told The Associated Press on Thursday the investigation and autopsy have given police an idea of what the murder weapon may have been, but they do not have it in their possession.

Police have not said how she was killed.

Last edited:
Slain pregnant Amish woman had cuts to her head and neck, police say.

...a woman, previously described by police as a family friend, called 911 at 12:36 p.m. to report that she and Andy Byler found Rebekah Byler unresponsive when they arrived.

Trooper Cynthia Schick told The Associated Press on Thursday the investigation and autopsy have given police an idea of what the murder weapon may have been, but they do not have it in their possession.

Police have not said how she was killed.

Apparently, the police got two identical search warrants. So now I'm wondering about search warrants in general. The source below says police can do a search without a warrant under certain circumstances, including with permission granted by someone authorized to give it (such as the homeowner, for ex). That sounds obvious but I'm wondering if the police would usually get a search warrant/s anyway, in such a serious case.

Because from the wording on the site linked below, it sounds like otherwise, the person who granted permission could take the permission away at any time or limit the scope of what can be searched, even while the search is in process.

If so, then it makes sense to me that the police would just get official search warrants in the first place, as part of their usual procedure. ???

Edited to add: I'm also wondering why the police got two identical search warrants.

Last edited:
Was it ever stated that the friend that was with the husband when the wife was found was a woman? Did I miss that? Major side eye right meow. JMO.
I think the earlier articles just said the husband arrived with "a family friend."

It seems to me that early reports usually just bring up more questions than give any solid answers. But then I guess it does make more sense for LE to keep most of the info. to themselves. MOO

I was replying to another poster who said that the child may have known the killer was an English man if they had noticed his shoes weren't Amish, like sneakers possibly.
Amish wear sneakers. I spent a Saturday learning to butcher chickens on an Amish farm years ago. The mom and I had the same shoes and we laughed about the coincidence.

Was it ever stated that the friend that was with the husband when the wife was found was a woman? Did I miss that? Major side eye right meow. JMO.
Yeppers, I wondered the same. Was she with the husband when he came home at a little after 12:30? Why? Or was she called after he found her, which would make sense, he needed help with the kids. Maybe it’s a neighbor who lives close?

Yeppers, I wondered the same. Was she with the husband when he came home at a little after 12:30? Why? Or was she called after he found her, which would make sense, he needed help with the kids. Maybe it’s a neighbor who lives close?
I’ll look for the link, but I had read that she came to the house with him and that she made the 911 call

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfwbnfts
Back