PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I admit that most of what I know about the Amish is from TV and movies, but would it be common for a married Amish man to be alone in the company of a female other than his wife or other family member? Not casting aspersions on anyone.

Last edited:
We spoke with a gentleman, who asked us not to show his face. He said he drives for the family and knew the victim well. He was driving another Amish woman when they got the news.

When this gentleman says he drives for the family, what does that mean? Is he employed by them to drive Mom and kids when Dad is at work? Do females not drive horse and buggies?

I admit that most of what I know about the Amish is from TV and movies, but would it be common for a married Amish man to be in the company of a female other than his wife or other family member?
It could be, if she had been driving him or was a neighbor.

In my county, Amish people often have a cell phone for business or a phone in an outbuilding at home. I work at a place where many of our customers are Amish from all over PA and beyond, and some of the people in more remote/rural Amish communities have no phones at all. In an emergency, they’d have to rely on a neighbor with a cell phone or home phone. So maybe that’s why this lady was there.

We spoke with a gentleman, who asked us not to show his face. He said he drives for the family and knew the victim well. He was driving another Amish woman when they got the news.

When this gentleman says he drives for the family, what does that mean? Is he employed by them to drive Mom and kids when Dad is at work? Do females not drive horse and buggies?
There are people who are hired by the Amish to drive them for business, errands, or on trips. Ladies going shopping sometimes have a driver take them to the store. People going a long way for a doctor appointment will probably hire a driver. It’s usually on an as-needed basis, not like the family employs a chauffeur.

Since most Amish do not drive automobiles, it is common that they have a driver that they use when needing to go somewhere by auto. I am assuming this guy is a driver for many of the local Amish.

I live right outside of Lancaster PA and it is common for Amish to have a driver that takes them places by car, although some Amish drive. I have seen women driving horse and buggies…

I live right outside of Lancaster PA and it is common for Amish to have a driver that takes them places by car, although some Amish drive. I have seen women driving horse and buggies…
So do I! Yes, some ladies still drive carriages for short trips, but a lot of the older ones have given it up. There’s so much traffic now. Hiring a driver seems like it’s becoming much more common as communities become less walkable (and less convenient to travel with a horse).

Several other random thoughts I’ve had about this case…

The children were toddlers, one of the articles verified. It would be interesting to know if they’ve been able to describe anything they heard or saw. Most Amish children don’t have much exposure to spoken English until they are school age. But, if the children can express that they overheard any conversation, it would be interesting to know if the conversation was in English or PA Dutch. That would certainly focus the investigation.

And I was checking out the photos of the house, and it didn’t look like they were selling anything from the home. Where I live, Amish people selling puppies (mostly French bulldogs) have had them stolen by potential buyers—even at gunpoint once. We’ve even had roadside stands robbed for a few dollars. People are crazy, and some think Amish people make easy targets.
i think the neighbors do pay attention to cars they have not seen before thus the news reports about the Jeep in the yard-

Is it possible that the red Jeep may be tied to a driver, or former driver? Maybe someone who had driven her in another vehicle before, so no connection was recognized...

Was it ever stated that the friend that was with the husband when the wife was found was a woman? Did I miss that? Major side eye right meow. JMO.

As someone who was raised in Amish country surrounded by Amish neighbors, the female "family friend" who made the 911 call does not raise my eyebrows at all. Now, every single one of my parents' Amish neighbors have cell phones. But rules really do vary from community to community. The husband maybe didn't have a phone. Or maybe he is the ONLY one in the community with a phone, & the family friend used it to call 911.

I can see so many scenarios from the info provided. He found his wife, got the family friend, who then called 911. Since the friend was there when police arrived, it's being reported that "they" found her. Maybe Rebekah was supposed to meet the friend, but never showed, so they went down to the house together.

Honestly, there are so many plausible scenarios that aren't shady. If I listed them all, this post would be entirely too long. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these "drivers" usually the same person that is hired to drive the rider anytime a driver is needed, or is it more like Uber, where you may not know who your driver is until they show up to take you somewhere?

Are these "drivers" usually the same person that is hired to drive the rider anytime a driver is needed, or is it more like Uber, where you may not know who your driver is until they show up to take you somewhere?
Think of a friend giving you a ride more so than an Uber. For example, I used to give my neighbor a ride to our midwife's office because both of us were pregnant. It just made sense instead of her taking her buggy on that road.
Some of these rural PA roads really aren't buggy safe anymore (@bdawk20 @Hereshecomes75 can you imagine buggies on Rt. 30 now? Like it was when I was a kid. Or even 896)
So, my neighbor shared my info in the community & pretty soon I started getting requests from various Amish families in the area to drive them around. I turned most down, because I just didn't have the time (or want to). But I could have made a fair amount of cash under the table if I had.

Another example is my husband used to work at a lumber yard with a lot of Amish. They had the same old man who would go around & pick them all up in a 13 passenger van & bring them to and from work. So if they needed to go to the store on Saturday, guess who they would call first if they wanted a ride.

Welcome to WS, @YourMOm. Happy to have your local insight here!
Thank you! I've been a WS lurker for awhile. Finally decided it was time, ha ha.

Think of a friend giving you a ride more so than an Uber. For example, I used to give my neighbor a ride to our midwife's office because both of us were pregnant. It just made sense instead of her taking her buggy on that road.
Some of these rural PA roads really aren't buggy safe anymore (@bdawk20 @Hereshecomes75 can you imagine buggies on Rt. 30 now? Like it was when I was a kid. Or even 896)
So, my neighbor shared my info in the community & pretty soon I started getting requests from various Amish families in the area to drive them around. I turned most down, because I just didn't have the time (or want to). But I could have made a fair amount of cash under the table if I had.

Another example is my husband used to work at a lumber yard with a lot of Amish. They had the same old man who would go around & pick them all up in a 13 passenger van & bring them to and from work. So if they needed to go to the store on Saturday, guess who they would call first if they wanted a ride.

Thank you! I've been a WS lurker for awhile. Finally decided it was time, ha ha.
Yes I agree. IME the local Mennonite community would oftentimes serve as drivers for the Amish and it was, I believe, a pretty regular thing.

Yeppers, I wondered the same. Was she with the husband when he came home at a little after 12:30? Why? Or was she called after he found her, which would make sense, he needed help with the kids. Maybe it’s a neighbor who lives close?
I wondered if the neighbor had called the house when they saw the red jeep.,and got no answer.and was a bit frightened to enter the house, but called Andy to come home.

I bet law enforcement is checking various lists to see who in the area owns a red Jeep, and paying visits to them. That's how it goes in the true crime shows anyway. :)
I'm sure they are. Hopefully they've been able to narrow down the model year somewhat. I'm just glad this guy apparently used a very conspicuous vehicle.

I wondered if the neighbor had called the house when they saw the red jeep.,and got no answer.and was a bit frightened to enter the house, but called Andy to come home.
“Black wrote that a woman, previously described by police as a family friend, called 911 at 12:36 p.m. to report that she and Andy Byler found Rebekah Byler unresponsive when they arrived.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe
Back