PA - Shane Montgomery, 21, Philadelphia, 27 Nov 2014 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You and me both! I still say he was found where he went in. But how did the keys get upstream? Does anyone REALLY believe the river carried him, either alive or dead, downstream to where he was found? I know I definitely find it unlikely that he went in where the keys did, sunk, resurfaced, floated downstream and sunk again. Not buying that.

If he did go in where the keys were found and was carried downstream, did the autopsy show a head injury? Broken bones? Something that would have rendered him unable to get himself out hence him finally "drifting" downstream, possibly getting caught up on something and sinking where he was eventually found?

A human presents a different interface, wearing clothing featuring pockets, sleeves, a hoodie and pant legs, all of which may 'catch' water that may pull the body along with the current.

Actually the Diver was in front of The Manayunk Brew Pub. Looks like a drive way and you walk down to enter the Brew Pub. Its the same area Shane's Mom Spoke in front of. The entire family stood on The Deck of the Brew Pub.
The Diver who recovered Shane and his team study the Currents of the river and their direction. They believed his entry point was at the parking lot near one of the columns that hold the Bridge. (say if you were on the rail and walk to the water). They figured the keys came out in his struggle to stay near the shore or getting back to the shore. (near the wall but within the 30ft distance from the wall. It is their estimation Shane was not in the place he was found the whole time. From the currents they believe he drifted towards the Lower Merion Side but remand in the middle then drifted back to the Manayunk side. In the process of the near 40 day search its their belief he was caught up on something in between entry and them finding him. (from their seeing his body)

Wow, thanks for this information. I'm still sad. But, at least my mind isn't spinning.
I'd like to add - All of our minds.

Yes, I agree. Thank you Kevin for that added info. Makes us able to understand things a little more. Although it's sad to even imagine the scenario. HATE IT! Wish he never went to that lot that night for whatever reason!

So maybe he entered, they believe, somewhere around the yellow circled area? Is that what you mean by columns that hold the bridge?

bridge.jpg

Actually the Diver was in front of The Manayunk Brew Pub. Looks like a drive way and you walk down to enter the Brew Pub. Its the same area Shane's Mom Spoke in front of. The entire family stood on The Deck of the Brew Pub.
The Diver who recovered Shane and his team study the Currents of the river and their direction. They believed his entry point was at the parking lot near one of the columns that hold the Bridge. (say if you were on the rail and walk to the water). They figured the keys came out in his struggle to stay near the shore or getting back to the shore. (near the wall but within the 30ft distance from the wall. It is their estimation Shane was not in the place he was found the whole time. From the currents they believe he drifted towards the Lower Merion Side but remand in the middle then drifted back to the Manayunk side. In the process of the near 40 day search its their belief he was caught up on something in between entry and them finding him. (from their seeing his body)

After this new info Kevin gave us, I think I'm done. Finally able to accept that this was a horrible accident. Of course we will never know what possessed him to go to that lot in the first place. Or just how the heck he fell in. But what the divers say and believe does make sense. THEY are the experts. Sigh. And of course I have to wonder, had he NOT gotten tossed from Kildars that night, could it have made all the difference in the world? We just don't know. Damn! This really sickens me! Just goes to show you how some small thing, some small change in events, can have dire consequences. You just never know in life. KILLS me to imagine him struggling for his life to get back to shore at the time/location they believe his keys fell out.

Makes me wonder if Shane was ever able to stand upright but could not adequately fight the current that evening...

CEMENTPOND Yes. There's a small trail there you can walk back. Privacy for smoking or peeing. Easy to loose footing and fall. That would be a good ideal entry point. The waters rough there as well so in his condition it would be extremely difficult to find land or recover from a fall.

CEMENTPOND Yes. There's a small trail there you can walk back. Privacy for smoking or peeing. Easy to loose footing and fall. That would be a good ideal entry point. The waters rough there as well so in his condition it would be extremely difficult to find land or recover from a fall.

Thanks Kevin! I had asked this last week when we all assumed he went left in the lot did he actually go right in the lot. Even when I park there I gravitate towards the right of the lot. The divers are experts and I also thought the keys came away from him. Even though I am a bad local and don't know the names if trails I had asked if this was possible was there a trail on that side if the lot he went to for privacy and then fell in. It's a nightmare thinking about it but this makes perfect sense. Thank you Kevin!

It's not my opinion that counts -it's Shanes parents. I do feel better with some clarity.
The riverbank is almost the same, but, it's pitch black on the trail, completely out of the way to walk at 2:09 am to smoke. Damn!
But, that could be the very reason he entered the lot- to head down there.
Shane didn't hide his marajuana smoking, he advocated it.
My gosh, why?...why go there??
The bank is longer, not as steep on that side. There is a flat part where you can actually walk on the bank along the rivers edge. There you can definitely slip in.
I smoked my face off as a young adult. (Total River Rat)...The difference with me was I always smoked with my friends. I never toked up by myself. He's different.

I'm not sure about this way of thinking, because I think too much.
Part of me believes- Shane knew about that spot- he's a local.
He entered the lot went to the right-went to the trail-climbing down the icy bank to be near the rivers edge. Drunk in the dark. Well, I hate to say this but, that's is an accident waiting to happen. Very risky to do alone. In the dark of night, impaired.
I have more sense to believe, he stumbled upon that spot- thought it looked cool and didn't recognize the dangers. That would just be easier.
It seemed he went to that lot for a reason.

What does make sense for Shane to be so far downstream- the diver said he was caught in a current, he had to hold onto him- he was traveling with the current because he was surfacing. That I get. I thought they first reported he was lying on the bottom, which made me think- that's where he entered.

Chuckmaureen asked if it was shallow enough to stand. Yes in parts, the bottom & depth varies along that stretch. It's tricky. Little mounds of silt rock & mud have formed making small mounds or islands. It's not the same depth throughout. Some days the water is crystal clear and you can see the bottom other days it's cloudy- it could be a foot deep and you can't see the bottom.

I saw on the news this morning- Mark McDonald- press secretary for the Mayor says he looking into the safety concerns along this area. "at some point"..
They said all the businesses along Main Street are leaving their lights on overnight tonight in honor.
"Lights on for Shane"...what sweet sentiments, and truly a great community.

As much as I love the river and plan on living on it again- I hate it just as much!!
I thought living there is paradise- a million dollar view. Rivers rage & roar- they are devastating & destructructive. They take innocent lives.
A sad lesson to be learned- but, in this tragedy I have learned a great deal.
I am not invincible. I could easily drown. I am not a fish. This summer I will be wearing my life vest-something I've never done. My mother won't worry anymore.

Thanks Kevin! I had asked this last week when we all assumed he went left in the lot did he actually go right in the lot. Even when I park there I gravitate towards the right of the lot. The divers are experts and I also thought the keys came away from him. Even though I am a bad local and don't know the names if trails I had asked if this was possible was there a trail on that side if the lot he went to for privacy and then fell in. It's a nightmare thinking about it but this makes perfect sense. Thank you Kevin!

its not like an official trail.it's really just one that was created by people walking back there this is actually more closer to the river then by an official walking trail

its not like an official trail.it's really just one that was created by people walking back there this is actually more closer to the river then by an official walking trail
\

I figured there had to be something but I was calling it Blackie's bridge lol lol. But I figured there had to be something and thanks for the clarity and all that you have done! I haven't gone to Main Street since the search and one day when I do I would lke to take a look for myself just so I understand but I have a pretty good understanding from what you described, etc. But there are alot of unoffical trails in the area, for me where I understand more is Daisy Field, the Pines, Wissahickon creek those areas and I don't know the names of all the trails but I could walk them and know where I am I wasn't as familiar of the towpath as much and that area.

http://youtu.be/rViD5prq1GM

Yes it it. If you go back a little further the

If you scan to 25.35 on Queezys video. Is this the place?

Yes it it. If you go back a little further the trail splits and one part meets the water. That part of the water is very rough waters. That may have been the part where Shane lost the fight against the current.

If you scan to 25.35 on Queezys video. Is this the place?[/QUOTE]

It's not my opinion that counts -it's Shanes parents. I do feel better with some clarity.
The riverbank is almost the same, but, it's pitch black on the trail, completely out of the way to walk at 2:09 am to smoke. Damn!
But, that could be the very reason he entered the lot- to head down there.
Shane didn't hide his marajuana smoking, he advocated it.
My gosh, why?...why go there??
The bank is longer, not as steep on that side. There is a flat part where you can actually walk on the bank along the rivers edge. There you can definitely slip in.
I smoked my face off as a young adult. (Total River Rat)...The difference with me was I always smoked with my friends. I never toked up by myself. He's different.

I'm not sure about this way of thinking, because I think too much.
Part of me believes- Shane knew about that spot- he's a local.
He entered the lot went to the right-went to the trail-climbing down the icy bank to be near the rivers edge. Drunk in the dark. Well, I hate to say this but, that's is an accident waiting to happen. Very risky to do alone. In the dark of night, impaired.
I have more sense to believe, he stumbled upon that spot- thought it looked cool and didn't recognize the dangers. That would just be easier.
It seemed he went to that lot for a reason.

What does make sense for Shane to be so far downstream- the diver said he was caught in a current, he had to hold onto him- he was traveling with the current because he was surfacing. That I get. I thought they first reported he was lying on the bottom, which made me think- that's where he entered.

Chuckmaureen asked if it was shallow enough to stand. Yes in parts, the bottom & depth varies along that stretch. It's tricky. Little mounds of silt rock & mud have formed making small mounds or islands. It's not the same depth throughout. Some days the water is crystal clear and you can see the bottom other days it's cloudy- it could be a foot deep and you can't see the bottom.

I saw on the news this morning- Mark McDonald- press secretary for the Mayor says he looking into the safety concerns along this area. "at some point"..
They said all the businesses along Main Street are leaving their lights on overnight tonight in honor.
"Lights on for Shane"...what sweet sentiments, and truly a great community.

As much as I love the river and plan on living on it again- I hate it just as much!!
I thought living there is paradise- a million dollar view. Rivers rage & roar- they are devastating & destructructive. They take innocent lives.
A sad lesson to be learned- but, in this tragedy I have learned a great deal.
I am not invincible. I could easily drown. I am not a fish. This summer I will be wearing my life vest-something I've never done. My mother won't worry anymore.

Beautifully said AOTC. Chills up my spine. And yes, you wear you life vest. You do not need to worry your mother and put her through anything like this. And this is coming from a mom.

Just so incredibly sad. I.just cannot believe, and I so wish that he had not gone back there that night. Why Shane? Why go to such extremes to smoke when I am sure on such a crappy night you could have gone half the distance and not been seen or detected. What a waste. Now that we know a good chunk of it, this visual just breaks my heart even more.
R.I.P. Shane Boy

Yes it it. If you go back a little further the trail splits and one part meets the water. That part of the water is very rough waters. That may have been the part where Shane lost the fight against the current.
So at 25:35 do you he walked down farther into the brush close to the water? I don't see much of a trail or path I am looking at it on my phone

If you scan to 25.35 on Queezys video. Is this the place?
[/QUOTE]

So at that point do you mean he can walk closer to the rivers edge? I see a lot of brush and no trail sorry for the repeat message I'm watching and typing from my phone

So at that point do you mean he can walk closer to the rivers edge? I see a lot of brush and no trail sorry for the repeat message I'm watching and typing from my phone
[/QUOTE]

Yes There is a part of the trail where you can literal have the water come to you boots, shoes, sneakers etc.

I wonder if Shane could even see the water, and how much light is back there. There was very little moonlight that evening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahartley1978
Back