Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
this distance roughly?

dist.jpg

nice!!

This distance roughly? Or do you mean something else?

dist.jpg

Keep in mind the Green lane Bridge is approximately 150ft. wide. This covers the rivers span. If the river is approx. 80-100 feet in width. 10 feet out from the wall wouldn't be that far out. Does anyone have a width of this part of the rivers stretch?...I'm judging by the length of the bridge.

It's perfect. Now, 10 feet out from back of Brewery- move your red X closer to the 10 foot out location.

Yeah I mean, was he 10ft from the back of the place....or 10ft from that small bank to the left of the map (which is technically still behind the pub)....etc. Could be a number of spots. And yes, looking at it this way, 10 ft is NOT far from the bank at all. Hate that when ya zoom into Google maps the shot is so crappy. Bing is much better but I don't know how to measure distance on that one.

101.jpg

Here is a new question.....could Shane have been down at that Pub and out on the deck and fallen off of the deck? Damn! Not possible. Not when his keys were upstream! Grrrrr

ChuckMaureen, you may have said this already but I want to be sure, where do you believe the actual drowning [not necessarily point of entry] happened? Near where he was found or closer to the lot?

I believe Shane made his way to and stood on top of the wall located at the southwestern corner of the parking lot and eventually tossed his keys in to the river. This is the only explanation I could fathom regarding his keys having been recovered 'twenty to thirty feet' from the wall. I thought maybe he had tossed his keys in a sort of symbolic protest as if to rid himself of whatever the keys were supposed to represent but that seems too 'psychological' a solution for this case. I believe the keys were in Shane's hoodie pocket and fell out as he entered the water and were recovered closer to the wall, perhaps within the initial distance reported of ten feet. It is still possible they were recovered farther from the wall (twenty to thirty feet) and this I would attribute to the lanyard being caught in the current ... that eliminates the need for a symbolic toss.

Studies indicate a body is recovered very close to where the person entered the water ... by that we assume drowning occurs within a short radius of the point of entry and the body simply 'stays put' but of course, rivers are dynamic and for a period of time so is a body (decomp, gas-out). I believe Shane could have drowned anywhere along the stretch of river between the parking lot and the recovery location. But Shane also could have suffered heart stoppage not long after entering the water given the combination of temperatures that evening.

I did find the recovery area an odd location but given the layout of the river maybe it is not so odd ... view this aerial photo:

!! shane - possible current path.png

Yeah I mean, was he 10ft from the back of the place....or 10ft from that small bank to the left of the map (which is technically still behind the pub)....etc. Could be a number of spots. And yes, looking at it this way, 10 ft is NOT far from the bank at all. Hate that when ya zoom into Google maps the shot is so crappy. Bing is much better but I don't know how to measure distance on that one.

101.jpg

Look at my silly map- it's older than dirt.
If you measure 10 feet from wall in parking lot. That's a long distance to travel alive- no way he traveled 800 yards on the bottom.
If he entered where he was found- how did Christies back camera not catch him leaving the lot?...so, how would he have gotten there?

It appears he would have traveled WAAAY more than 800 ft if he did indeed go in at that wall and ended up behind the pub.

travel.jpg

Look at my silly map- it's older than dirt.
If you measure 10 feet from wall in parking lot. That's a long distance to travel alive- no way he traveled 800 yards on the bottom.
If he entered where he was found- how did Christies back camera not catch him leaving the lot?...so, how would he have gotten there?

Again- Here is a arial photo of the distance. To refresh our visuals.
As I'm reevaluating this stretch. I think if it 10 feet out from the lot where he went in- the river banks bend & jut out- leaning me to believe he would have had obstacles in the way to have a direct flow to where they found him.
View attachment 67018

Note that the southbound entrance to the towpath is within the surveillance camera view. LE would have seen Shane enter on and walk down the towpath for ~20 feet before moving out of camera range. That would have led LE to immediately searching the canal running south from the bridge. That was not the case. LE began searching areas north of the bridge then moved southerly ... in methodical fashion.

Someone threw a cheap metal, not very heavy chair in the river- next to our dock about 7 years ago. About 4 feet of water. That chair has not moved it is still there today (I'm ashamed) and it's been through at least 12 flood waters. Never moved.

Note that the southbound entrance to the towpath is within the surveillance camera view. LE would have seen Shane enter on and walk down the towpath for ~20 feet before moving out of camera range. That would have led LE to immediately searching the canal running south from the bridge. That was not the case. LE began searching areas north of the bridge then moved southerly ... in methodical fashion.

Agreed!!

Gotcha. Yes, and when the diver was reporting on the news- he was standing in Mad Rivers entrance.

Actually the Diver was in front of The Manayunk Brew Pub. Looks like a drive way and you walk down to enter the Brew Pub. Its the same area Shane's Mom Spoke in front of. The entire family stood on The Deck of the Brew Pub.
The Diver who recovered Shane and his team study the Currents of the river and their direction. They believed his entry point was at the parking lot near one of the columns that hold the Bridge. (say if you were on the trail and walk to the water). They figured the keys came out in his struggle to stay near the shore or getting back to the shore. (near the wall but within the 30ft distance from the wall. It is their estimation Shane was not in the place he was found the whole time. From the currents they believe he drifted towards the Lower Merion Side but remand in the middle then drifted back to the Manayunk side. In the process of the near 40 day search its their belief he was caught up on something in between entry and them finding him. (from their seeing his body)

Someone threw a cheap metal, not very heavy chair in the river- next to our dock about 7 years ago. About 4 feet of water. That chair has not moved it is still there today (I'm ashamed) and it's been through at least 12 flood waters. Never moved.

The chair is an inanimate object consisting of relatively thin (compared to human limbs) support legs with no organic material for which to decompose and out-gas.

A human presents a different interface, wearing clothing featuring pockets, sleeves, a hoodie and pant legs, all of which may 'catch' water that may pull the body along with the current.

You and me both! I still say he was found where he went in. But how did the keys get upstream? Does anyone REALLY believe the river carried him, either alive or dead, downstream to where he was found? I know I definitely find it unlikely that he went in where the keys did, sunk, resurfaced, floated downstream and sunk again. Not buying that.

If he did go in where the keys were found and was carried downstream, did the autopsy show a head injury? Broken bones? Something that would have rendered him unable to get himself out hence him finally "drifting" downstream, possibly getting caught up on something and sinking where he was eventually found?

Ok...2300 ft is approx 766 yrs. Close enough!...
I'm still confused though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back