Found Deceased PA - Thomas Hughes, 25, Pittsburgh/Beechview, 23 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, the area bars should have been closing at that time. Even the nearby Giant Eagle grocery on Wharton closed at 10 pm.

I learned of this case via FB, and looked here to see if there was a thread. His family member is a casual friend of mine who posted the missing person flier. The SVU involvement is quite concerning.

The SVU involvement jumped out at me as well.

Missing Persons/SVU is the same phone#/unit. Found this out when I called concerning a missing person and they answered the phone "SVU", which threw me for a loop until she explained it's the same unit.
Police Phone Directory | pittsburghpa.gov

Thank you, that is good to know, and good news too. I was concerned he may be vulnerable and thus, SVU.

Dakota James was a student at Duquesne University when he was reported missing in January of 2017. His body was discovered in March of that year and his death ruled an accidental drowning.

Pamela James also pointed out the similarities to the disappearance of Thomas Hughes, who was reported missing on Jan. 23.

“My wish tonight is to pray that Thomas Hughes is found safe and comes home to his family. I pray for all those that have become part of a story that we never wanted to be apart of,” Pamela James’ post read.

Four years later, family still seeking answers to what happened to Dakota James

Yes, the area bars should have been closing at that time. Even the nearby Giant Eagle grocery on Wharton closed at 10 pm.

I learned of this case via FB, and looked here to see if there was a thread. His family member is a casual friend of mine who posted the missing person flier. The SVU involvement is quite concerning.

Do you know if the family member you are casual friends with is aware of WS?

It was also freezing cold Saturday night into Sunday. I believe it was 10 degrees. This stood out to me because Sunday morning I ran on those trails, I ran right by the van and had no idea, but it was fridge! I wish I would have known! This case is so similar to Dakota and Paul. Why would he leave his keys in the car? Where was he going? If you are going out to the Southside you do not park down there and walk. Also, the bars would be closing or closed at that time due to Covid restrictions. Was he meeting someone down there? So many questions, sadly it feels all too similar. I hope it has a better outcome than Dakota and Paul.

It was also freezing cold Saturday night into Sunday. I believe it was 10 degrees. This stood out to me because Sunday morning I ran on those trails, I ran right by the van and had no idea, but it was fridge! I wish I would have known! This case is so similar to Dakota and Paul. Why would he leave his keys in the car? Where was he going? If you are going out to the Southside you do not park down there and walk. Also, the bars would be closing or closed at that time due to Covid restrictions. Was he meeting someone down there? So many questions, sadly it feels all too similar. I hope it has a better outcome than Dakota and Paul.

10 degrees. Brrrr! For me, that does cut down the possibility that he chose to park there to walk somewhere else. After 11PM I would expect there to be plenty of parking at any business he could have been visiting. Besides the fact that most would be closed.

I only see two reasons the keys would be left in the ignition.
1. Either he did not plan to be around :( and wanted it found and returned to the family.
2. Someone else was involved and wanted it to be assumed that #1 happened.

I have heard that the south side of Pittsburgh, where the current search is, is known to be a dangerous area. Is anyone familiar with that area? Is that true?

I don't think people often park at this parking lot to walk to hang out in the busy parts (bars etc) of South Side. This is where you park to take a boat out or maybe to hang out around the river, or go on the trail. It's not a scary place, but is secluded probably in winter at 11pm.

I personally don't think you'd park here to walk somewhere else, even the grocery store.

I don't think people often park at this parking lot to walk to hang out in the busy parts (bars etc) of South Side. This is where you park to take a boat out or maybe to hang out around the river, or go on the trail. It's not a scary place, but is secluded probably in winter at 11pm.

I personally don't think you'd park here to walk somewhere else, even the grocery store.

Thanks for the info on the part of town we're looking at and Welcome to Websleuths!

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

upload_2021-1-28_22-20-27.png

Circumstances of Disappearance
Thomas was last seen at a family member's house in the Beechview area of Pittsburgh when he left abruptly.

The vehicle he was driving was found legally parked the following day near South Side's Riverfront Park unlocked and with the keys still inside.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

View attachment 281609

Circumstances of Disappearance
Thomas was last seen at a family member's house in the Beechview area of Pittsburgh when he left abruptly.

The vehicle he was driving was found legally parked the following day near South Side's Riverfront Park unlocked and with the keys still inside.

"Left abruptly"
I wonder if he received a call or text from anyone just before he left. I would think phone records would have been obtained by now.

I am also curious who's initial idea it was to visit these family members.

Call and text logs should be helpful, as well as security camera footage from the area.

Not much info being released. I would like to know if the keys were in the ignition, car left running, or were they left elsewhere in the car? Keys in the ignition could indicate an intended short stop, perhaps a meet-up.

jmo

Call and text logs should be helpful, as well as security camera footage from the area.

Not much info being released. I would like to know if the keys were in the ignition, car left running, or were they left elsewhere in the car? Keys in the ignition could indicate an intended short stop, perhaps a meet-up.

jmo

I am fairly certain I read that they were left in the ignition. I'll have to go back and double-check. But yes, knowing if the ignition was left on would be valuable.

ETA: Yes, it was stated that they were in the ignition.

BBM

“She was right there and seen it. She said, ‘Oh my god. That’s the van.’ Pulled over. And the key was in the ignition, but my brother is nowhere to be found. His phone has been dead since 7 or 8 this morning,” said Thomas Hughes’ sister Alexis Hughes.

Missing 25-year-old man’s van found with keys in ignition near Pittsburgh trail

Last edited:
I hope I don't sound like Captain Obvious here, but we have another missing man, his car found abandoned. I've become quite intrigued by these missing cases, since they are so prevalent recently. It's very worrying.

I will go catch up on Dakota and Paul's cases now. Thanks for the links.

I hope I don't sound like Captain Obvious here, but we have another missing man, his car found abandoned. I've become quite intrigued by these missing cases, since they are so prevalent recently. It's very worrying.

I will go catch up on Dakota and Paul's cases now. Thanks for the links.
seems to be a bit of an epidemic lately, huh? :confused: when foul play isnt indicated and it was clear that the MP drove the car, i tend to think towards self harm :(. ive been in that state of mind, wandering around fugue-like at night, and i never remember to lock up or anything- my door was always unlocked, fridge may be open, oven may be on, when i get back.
hopefully that isnt the case here!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste