Found Deceased PA - Thomas Hughes, 25, Pittsburgh/Beechview, 23 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to see it all too. He’s a man on a mission. He looks at the ATM but that’s not what he needed apparently, as he appears to walk past it. I see an ExxonMobil rug on the floor - probably a 7-11 convenient store. The gas pump is located at a horizontal directly across from the door. It looks like the Brookline Blvd 7-11, which I visit on occasion. They did say that he had driven back close to his sister’s house at some point, so Brookline would make sense.

No mask on, which is a County rule, so that makes me think he didn’t bring it with him at all, or he was in a hurry coming into the store and left it in the car. Come to think of it, that may be what he went in to buy - a mask. You can’t go too many places without one. Of course, even bars were closing at 12 (at least legally). There are after-hours clubs open later.

I would be curious to know the time, location, was his van parked in the gas station lot, and what items (if any) did he purchase.

Where are you, Tom?
Usually them videos have time frames on them but I guess they didn’t want us to see that. Gezzz the mask, I’m so with it I didn’t even notice that . I don’t know that area at all but I definitely don’t have a good feeling on this. Like someone else pointed out he’s a large man, not many are going to mess with him. Unless there’s a reason, just my feeling.

Usually them videos have time frames on them but I guess they didn’t want us to see that. Gezzz the mask, I’m so with it I didn’t even notice that . I don’t know that area at all but I definitely don’t have a good feeling on this. Like someone else pointed out he’s a large man, not many are going to mess with him. Unless there’s a reason, just my feeling.

Agree. Of course, a small gun can stop a large man. (Hate even saying that.)

Tom appears to have something in his right hand in that video on page 3. Not sure if it's car keys or not.

He eyeballs to the left, then he looks right, IMO, even briefly checking out the guy standing there.

Too bad in situations like this so much is withheld. Not sure it would make any difference in this case, but it appears there is something unique about Tommy.

To me, it almost appears that he may have slightly bumped arms with the individual to his right as he entered the store. After that he turns and appears to look in their direction.

Last edited:
Ok, I have no idea why I just spent time doing this but oh well. I’m probably wrong and this doesn’t really help to find Tom but I’ll share what I was researching anyway. (I’m from suburbs outside of Pittsburgh and am familiar with all the zones)

I can’t help but feel that the yellow paint and similar door signage seem like this could be the same Exxon station. The first pic is from Tom’s video.. the 3rd pic is from September. Things look different but could be the same place? That JUUL sign is in the same spot... and that yellow wall paint.... and same floor but Exxon mat is facing opposite way. Also, why is it a secret as to which store it was? But anyway... see the screenshots I took. Then I checked the distance from this possible Exxon (Brighton road on the north side) to the heritage trail. I’d say parts of the north side are on the“shadier” side... maybe he was in that area for something drug-related gone wrong? Who knows...

Attachments

• 674E61D4-EE56-4A99-A6DA-B6967D229332.jpeg
    674E61D4-EE56-4A99-A6DA-B6967D229332.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 196
  • A435E1BB-5359-46AA-8CA5-E63D8A51FAA2.jpeg
    A435E1BB-5359-46AA-8CA5-E63D8A51FAA2.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 926
  • 75AB1FC9-7227-45B9-98AA-C87ABCE6C0A2.jpeg
    75AB1FC9-7227-45B9-98AA-C87ABCE6C0A2.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 204
  • E398B93B-B0E8-48B9-BCB9-E7D0F4AD0162.jpeg
    E398B93B-B0E8-48B9-BCB9-E7D0F4AD0162.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Does anyone find it odd that neither one of the people in the video are wearing a mask? I could see one, but both? Where do you go nowadays where everyone isn't wearing a mask? It doesnt even appear from the video that anyone told Tom to leave and get a mask? Is this video really from that night? I just find it odd no one in the store is masked up?????

Does anyone find it odd that neither one of the people in the video are wearing a mask? I could see one, but both? Where do you go nowadays where everyone isn't wearing a mask? It doesnt even appear from the video that anyone told Tom to leave and get a mask? Is this video really from that night? I just find it odd no one in the store is masked up?????

The man to the left has a mask.

I’ve been thinking about this case for the past week or so and typically would not post private thoughts to a public forum, but here are some observations.

Tom Hughes’ Facebook page indicates that he lives in Ridgeway, PA, but he is from Pittsburgh, PA. The discrepancy between the two stands out. Ridgeway is a town of about 4100 people in Elk county, 120 miles to the northeast. The entire county has a population of 29,000.

His social media posts portray a very rural life and include many conservative political videos and memes. I scrolled through deer hunting pictures, elk sparring videos, re-posts of dudes drinking beer, and a survivalist training video. On January 2, he talks about packing everything up and starting fresh. His last post is a video of workers dislocated by the closure (presumably) of the Keystone XL Pipeline.

In contrast to his home town, Pittsburgh is a dense metropolitan area that is hilly and tricky to navigate, especially for a newcomer. While the South Hills communities of Brookline and Beechview are slightly more conservative than other parts of the City, they are still fairly liberal, urban neighborhoods. Someone without a mask in public would undoubtedly draw attention.

Compared with Dakota James or Paul Kochu whose work and education histories were highlighted in the media, Tom’s family and police have been very tight-lipped about what exactly he was doing at his sister’s house. His Mom makes mention of “finding himself.” A quote from the newspaper (later amended) says that he told a friend the night of his disappearance that he loved his girlfriend and her children.

This raises the question of whether Tom intended to stay in Pittsburgh and ran into trouble, or whether he wanted to disappear and start over. Perhaps, Pittsburgh wasn't the best fit.

I was just thinking and I want to add on to my previous post with the pics- I highly respect Tricia and what Websluths is and stands for- and my post is just total speculation and thinking from someone that has zero personal knowledge of the guy or anything.... so... haha, I guess that’s why everyone posts that (“MOO” and such) in their posts. Because it was bothering me that I might have put something out there that’s totally based on no personal or inside info.

I was just thinking and I want to add on to my previous post with the pics- I highly respect Tricia and what Websluths is and stands for- and my post is just total speculation and thinking from someone that has zero personal knowledge of the guy or anything.... so... haha, I guess that’s why everyone posts that (“MOO” and such) in their posts. Because it was bothering me that I might have put something out there that’s totally based on no personal or inside info.

Your post was fine, well stated and thoughtful. Glad to see you here, along with other newer posters who have joined this thread. Pittsburgh cases don’t typically get the level of attention that the larger cities draw in.

Btw, I think that might have been the Brighton Rd gas station. The pictures sure look like it. Good work.

Hoping we hear something soon. If Tom is safe and left on his own, that he will let his family know. And if that’s not the case, hoping LE continues to search for answers and locate Tom.

jmo

I’ve been thinking about this case for the past week or so and typically would not post private thoughts to a public forum, but here are some observations.

Tom Hughes’ Facebook page indicates that he lives in Ridgeway, PA, but he is from Pittsburgh, PA. The discrepancy between the two stands out. Ridgeway is a town of about 4100 people in Elk county, 120 miles to the northeast. The entire county has a population of 29,000.

His social media posts portray a very rural life and include many conservative political videos and memes. I scrolled through deer hunting pictures, elk sparring videos, re-posts of dudes drinking beer, and a survivalist training video. On January 2, he talks about packing everything up and starting fresh. His last post is a video of workers dislocated by the closure (presumably) of the Keystone XL Pipeline.

In contrast to his home town, Pittsburgh is a dense metropolitan area that is hilly and tricky to navigate, especially for a newcomer. While the South Hills communities of Brookline and Beechview are slightly more conservative than other parts of the City, they are still fairly liberal, urban neighborhoods. Someone without a mask in public would undoubtedly draw attention.

Compared with Dakota James or Paul Kochu whose work and education histories were highlighted in the media, Tom’s family and police have been very tight-lipped about what exactly he was doing at his sister’s house. His Mom makes mention of “finding himself.” A quote from the newspaper (later amended) says that he told a friend the night of his disappearance that he loved his girlfriend and her children.

This raises the question of whether Tom intended to stay in Pittsburgh and ran into trouble, or whether he wanted to disappear and start over. Perhaps, Pittsburgh wasn't the best fit.

Good post.

I’m trying to sort out the timeline. Were Tom and his girlfriend planning to visit his sister in Pittsburgh for the weekend? Did they travel in the same vehicle? When did they arrive, and did he ever make it to his sister’s house, at all? Did he give anyone a reason for heading out, and did he say where he was going?

Pittsburgh Police comb Southside Riverfront Park for missing Beechview man | TribLIVE.com

Pittsburgh Police continued the search this week for a Beechview man missing since last month.

Thomas Hughes, 25, was last seen around 11 p.m. on Jan. 23.

His vehicle, a 2012 silver Volkswagen Routan, was found the next day near the South Side Riverfront Trail, authorities said.

The vehicle was unlocked, and the keys were in the ignition, according to Tribune-Review news partner WPXI-TV.

Authorities searched that area again Friday, deploying patrol officers, bicycle units, the Special Victims Unit and River Rescue, according to a release from Pittsburgh Police. The Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office searched the area from overhead using drones.

Hughes remains missing.

Multi-Agency Search On South Side For Missing 25-Year-Old Thomas Hughes Unsuccessful

After a multi-agency search on the South Side Friday morning, 25-year-old Thomas Hughes of Beechview is still missing.

Pittsburgh Police say they’re still searching for Hughes, who disappeared nearly two weeks ago.

Patrol officers, bicycle units, River Rescue and the Special Victims Unit were all on scene at the Southside River Front Park. The Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office was also there and deployed drones.

Police say they didn’t find Hughes.

upload_2021-2-6_19-0-40.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member