GUILTY PA - Tom, 51, Lisa, 47, & Kevin Haines, 16, murdered, Manheim Twp, 12 May 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
...in believing the triple murder was the work of a disturbed high school student who was a friend (or former friend) of the Haines boy.

Very sad for both families.

Three counts of murder One...I hope the Lancaster D.A. is up to it.

From the get-go I thought that the killer was a friend of Kevin's who was confused about his feelings for Kevin. Perhaps afraid that what he was feeling was going beyond friendship into territory that he couldn't stand the thought of. Afraid to talk to anyone about it.

That sounds about right to me, luthersmama. Either the killer has some deep psychological problems or some sort of sexual element is involved - probably both.

That sounds about right to me, luthersmama. Either the killer has some deep psychological problems or some sort of sexual element is involved - probably both.
As hard as I am trying to come up with a different scenario, I keep coming back to the sexual element as well. A crime of passion. The local news hasnt really had anything new, other than the investigators are not commenting.

Totaro, who called the killings "premeditated and deliberate," refused to talk about the motive or even if investigators are aware of one.
"I have no comment with regard to motive," he said Sunday night.
Totaro said Alec and Kevin were friends, but would not elaborate on the boys' relationship. He declined to say whether the boys had a falling- out prior to the slayings.
Another outstanding question is how the boy carried out the triple homicide alone. Investigators have ruled out the possibility that Kreider had help in committing the crimes.

Police allege that Kreider stabbed Kevin and his father, Tom, several times in the chest. Kevin also had a stab wound on his neck, investigators said.
Lisa Haines was stabbed once in the abdomen, then bled to death in her bedroom, investigators said. Mr. Haines also was found dead in the master bedroom, while Kevin was found in a second-floor hallway.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/205788

As hard as I am trying to come up with a different scenario, I keep coming back to the sexual element as well. A crime of passion. The local news hasnt really had anything new, other than the investigators are not commenting.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/205788

I feel the same way. I think that maybe his friend rejected him and he perhaps thought that he was going to be outed for his advances.

My thoughts were more along the lines of the two competing for the same girl.

I hope the the father of the killer does not accept the reward money of $20k. I don't know how he could. Hopefully it is either passed on to the surviving daughter, or put back into the reward fund to use towards someone else.

I hope the the father of the killer does not accept the reward money of $20k. I don't know how he could. Hopefully it is either passed on to the surviving daughter, or put back into the reward fund to use towards someone else.

Could he possibly do that? Take that reward? I guess so as he is the one who turned his son in. Oh, that'd seem wrong on so many levels. The photographs they have of these kids I mean they just look so, so young. I guess they are though. Sad. So sad.

I have no problem with the father accepting the money. When a reward is offered it is usually hoped that someone close to the person who commited the crime will turn them in. This must have been a heartbreaking thing to turn his son in. Many parents go to extreme lengths to protect a child who has committed an atrocious crime. This father did the right thing. If we start saying a relative can't claim the reward, we greatly limit the good a reward can do.

I was wondering that, too, myself PSU - would he be entitled to it - I guess he would be, but will he take it? He's going to need BIG BUCKS for his son's defense. I don't know how I would go if I were in this situation.

I have no problem with the father accepting the money. When a reward is offered it is usually hoped that someone close to the person who commited the crime will turn them in. This must have been a heartbreaking thing to turn his son in. Many parents go to extreme lengths to protect a child who has committed an atrocious crime. This father did the right thing. If we start saying a relative can't claim the reward, we greatly limit the good a reward can do.

Great post. I have no problem with the father accepting the reward money either.

Since you put it that way, I have to agree with you. I doubt that the reward money was his motivation for turning him in though.

Since you put it that way, I have to agree with you. I doubt that the reward money was his motivation for turning him in though.

I agree with you - I think the father did the right thing for the right reason and would have done the same thing regardless of reward money. How hard must it have been - to do what this father did?

DA mum on motive for Haines murders
By CINDY STAUFFER and TOM MURSE
Lancaster New Era

Published: Jun 18, 2007 11:10 AM EST
Lancaster, PA - Alec Kreider was visibly distraught after the murder of his friend, Kevin Haines, last month.

The quiet, smart 16-year-old cried on the bus the next school day. He cried in class.

What his classmates who comforted him and even his own family did not know at the time was Kreider allegedly is the one who stabbed to death his friend and his friend's parents, Tom and Lisa, in their Blossom Hill home, early one Saturday morning in May.

What they also do not know today - and what law enforcement officials are not revealing - is why Kreider allegedly killed the family.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/205798

So the police did interview Alec, even visiting his home.

Some neighbors of Kreider's suspected something was wrong. Sandra Pasic, who knew Kreider told News 8 about a week ago, several police officers were at Alec's home and his mother was visibly upset and started to cry.“Her son was locked in his room with a gun, on the phone with his friends saying he was going to commit suicide,” said Pasic.A week later, neighbors said they saw police at his house again, only to learn he was charged with the Haines family murders.Friends also told News 8 that Kreider seemed extremely sad after the murders and talked with a grief counselor saying how much he missed his friend.

http://www.wgal.com/news/13518493/detail.html

I agree with you - I think the father did the right thing for the right reason and would have done the same thing regardless of reward money. How hard must it have been - to do what this father did?

I think that if he collects the reward money the "right thing" for him to do with it is donate it to the daughter whose family was murdered by his son. It could perhaps allow her to finish her college education.
I think that I would have a problem with him collecting the reward money and turning around and using it to pay for the defence attorney for his son.:(

I think that if he collects the reward money the "right thing" for him to do with it is donate it to the daughter whose family was murdered by his son. It could perhaps allow her to finish her college education.
I think that I would have a problem with him collecting the reward money and turning around and using it to pay for the defence attorney for his son.:(

I agree with luthersmama that he may not take the money, but why would it be wrong for him to use it to pay for his son's defense. I mean for all we know, the son will plead out, but he will still need a defense attorney and any parent would want to provide that if they were financially able to.

I don't think rewards should have strings attached - for the reasons Annie stated in her previous post. IMHO.

Some interesting developments at Steve Huff's Crimeblog. Seems that Steve knows for sure that Kevin was gay and possibly about to come out to his parents.

Some interesting developments at Steve Huff's Crimeblog. Seems that Steve knows for sure that Kevin was gay and possibly about to come out to his parents.

Can you post a link to Huff's crime blog please luthersmama?

Thanks
Tricia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member