GUILTY PA - Troy LaFerrara, 42, dies in Craigslist thrill killing, Sunbury, 11 Nov 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
if this is all truly attention seeking, she is gonna be pissed that they are not jumping around following all her "leads". OTOH, I get your point.

They must really be convinced she's FOS with the approach they are taking.

I also wonder if they are reacting sort of low key so it does spur any more media appearances or claims from her, just in case she is doing it to get attention?

... any more media appearances or claims from her, just in case she is doing it to get attention?
I am sure that there are thousands of reporters out there who would like to interview Miranda and/or Elytte. But I can assure you neither one of these people will be allowed any more unsupervised media interviews--ever.

I didn't quote that part, honestly, because it made me too sad for Miranda. I know there's not a lot of sympathy for her here (myself included initially), but that article tugged at my heartstrings. :(
"My heart goes to them", Dean said, "and if this is true, I did not raise my daughter this way". According to her, her daughter ran away at 12 and met this Satanist guy at age 12. She later came home, but the mother sent her to live with an uncle. So, it doesn't look like she raised her at all...I mean it's kind of an oxymoron to say she didn't raise her like this, when the girl was allowed to be on her own at age 12.

I get the feeling of a girl who has spent a LOT of years, despite her young age now, putting on a tough girl front. I think all this bragging about 22 people at least killed is a great over-exagerated. I am not sold on that being for purposes of an insanity plea although I am sure she is being heavily counselled by her attonry to do so. I think it is about being noticed. Finally. Feeling powerful. Finally. Feeling feared rather than afraid. FINALLY.

I definitely agree with your view of her. I think on the inside she's a very messed up sad, scared little girl - who is trying so hard to be fiercer than those who hurt her. Gaining a name for herself, no matter the way, seems to be her way of 'proving' that's she's not the victim she feels like she is. She needs to be locked away, by her own admission she will reoffend. But she also needs some very strong counselling to work through her demons. She's certainly something else.

On CNN she is now saying "under a hundred" in response when asked how many people she has killed. Whatever.

When she first claimed she only killed "bad" people, I assumed she meant child molestors, which would make a kind of sense, since she was molested. People who owed money, though? Good grief...

Haha, yep. Under 100, because the number is only 1. Technically she's not lying. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...people-say-guilty-murder-sentenced-death.html

New article including more information from her parents.

They don't believe her and state she is a Heroin addict, her father says that she is the most manipulative person he's known and that if guilty of the murder she's charged with should receive the death penalty

"My heart goes to them", Dean said, "and if this is true, I did not raise my daughter this way". According to her, her daughter ran away at 12 and met this Satanist guy at age 12. She later came home, but the mother sent her to live with an uncle. So, it doesn't look like she raised her at all...I mean it's kind of an oxymoron to say she didn't raise her like this, when the girl was allowed to be on her own at age 12.

It's not hard to see how her problems unraveled. It doesn't seem like she came from the most loving family, shuffled around from place to place, abuse following her for the majority of her young life. And the opinion her own father has of her speaks volumes.

I definitely agree with your view of her. I think on the inside she's a very messed up sad, scared little girl - who is trying so hard to be fiercer than those who hurt her. Gaining a name for herself, no matter the way, seems to be her way of 'proving' that's she's not the victim she feels like she is. She needs to be locked away, by her own admission she will reoffend. But she also needs some very strong counselling to work through her demons. She's certainly something else.

Haha, yep. Under 100, because the number is only 1. Technically she's not lying. :rolleyes:

It's not hard to see how her problems unraveled. It doesn't seem like she came from the most loving family, shuffled around from place to place, abuse following her for the majority of her young life. And the opinion her own father has of her speaks volumes.
and I get the feeling that when some people feel really bad about themselves and unworthy, they're bound and determined to make sure everybody else feels the same way about them. For a kid who hasn't seen much love, she probably wouldn't know how to respond. I am glad her baby was removed, just wish she was placed in foster care-at least for the time being. moo

What's with all the sympathy for this woman murderer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do we have abundant sympathy for the child victims of sexual abuse and loudly lament the troubles they will have when they get older, but once they are older and the inevitable trouble arrives the sympathy evaporates?

Does childhood sexual abuse/trauma cause troubled adults or is that all just a talking point?

Why do we have abundant sympathy for the child victims of sexual abuse and loudly lament the troubles they will have when they get older, but once they are older and the inevitable trouble arrives the sympathy evaporates?

Does childhood sexual abuse/trauma cause troubled adults or is that all just a talking point?

Considering sexual abuse stats put the number roughly (iirc) at 1 in 4 children are victims...and I would put the number much higher if ya want to toss in trauma. I suppose it's simply a talking point. IMO most victims grow up & never hurt another soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have sympathy for her per se. But I always am curious as to what creates damaged people who go on to cause damage to others. I find myself doing it in every case. Who is this monster and how was (s)he formed? I can't seem to help myself.

I do not feel this person or any other who takes a life willingly and calously deserves sympathy. But I am always going to wonder how F'd up persons become just that.

A poster on another forum brought something up which I consider interesting:

[modsnip]

I'll try again. A poster on another forum merely pointed out that both Elytte and Miranda were physically very small and the victim fairly large; how were they able to so quickly overpower him?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268887&page=5

I don't see it as all that difficult. If someone is strangling you and your gasping for air, all your attention and strength is probably directed towards pulling on the cord to loosen it or keep it from choking you. Sounds like not long after she stabbed him?

I'll try again. A poster on another forum merely pointed out that both Elytte and Miranda were physically very small and the victim fairly large; how were they able to so quickly overpower him?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268887&page=5

That comment is interesting and raises a valid point. But after giving it some thought, I do not think it impossible for two people of slight build to overpower and kill a larger built male.

It would make for a bigger struggle I would think but I also am mindful they were in a vehicle so the victim was somewhat confined to fight for his life in cramped quarters where his size and weight may actually have been a disadvantage.

If husband is behind victim in backseat and is strangling the victim with a cord, and the victim is somewhat confined to the passenger seat of the car his feet would do him little good and we don't know how long the victim was being strangled before the wife stabbing began. Was he losing consiousness at that point? Or still fighting?

So arms flailing and trying to reach back and extricate his neck from the cord strangling him is likely what he was doing. Then MB either waited til he was losing consciousness or began stabbing him as was he struggled to fight against the cord choking off his ability to breath.

So after I sort of played it out in my mind within the confined space of the vehicle it didn't seem as unlikely that these two did just that, despite their victim being bigger.

dang it time said it so much more succinctly

:)

dang it time said it so much more succinctly

:)

I think you explained it much better. I thought the husband was in the back seat, but didn't take the time to reread and make sure. I think the guy was caught by surprise and quickly found himself gasping for breath.

yes, husband in backseat behind victim in front passenger is how I read it described. So victim could not effectively fight off husband. Plus lighter wieght husband would not be disadvantaged because he could pull his own weight back effectively tying LaFerrara to his seat while MB was stabbing from front driver seat.

One thing seems to be certain: the authorities seem to be quite anxious to keep Miranda as isolated as possible. Are they worried that she might leak additional details to her visitors, details that might confirm what she is saying?

http://newsitem.com/attorney-asks-judge-to-have-miranda-barbour-moved-back-to-county-jail-1.1639873
Responding to a story in the Daily Item about Barbour’s mother and grandmother having been in contact with (Northumberland County Prison Warden Roy)Johnson about visiting her at the county prison Friday, (County Commissioner Richard Shoch, vice chairman of the prison board) said Johnson made Barbour’s mother aware that her daughter was being transferred to SCI(state correctional institute)-Muncy that evening. He said the defendant’s mother intended to visit before the transfer, but didn’t arrive in time.
(County Commissioner Chairman Vinny)Clausi, speaking to the situation, said the decision to move Barbour was “rude and ignorant” considering the family members were en route from North Carolina and were a few hours away.
He also said (Defense Attorney)Greco was unaware of the transfer.
A spokeswoman at SCI-Muncy said it usually takes one to two weeks for a new inmate’s visitor and telephone lists to be approved since everyone’s background on the lists must be checked. That prevented a visit at that facility by the mother and grandmother while they were in the area.

Even more than her close relatives, it could be media people the authorities are afraid of:

http://newsitem.com/news/can-barbour-profit-from-her-story-1.1639118
He(Defense attorney Bill Costopoulos) pointed out that Pennsylvania's law allows for at least one loophole: a conviction or guilty plea is necessary. Anyone standing trial could strike a deal before a verdict is rendered, even if it's not in their favor.
"As we speak, of course, Miranda Barbour hasn't been convicted of anything. It looks awfully bleak for her in the future," Costopoulos said. "I think whoever would contract with her for the story at this hour, if they put it on the fast track, has the green light to go with it."

To me it sounds like Miranda has every right to be interviewed by the media, at least at this time. Are they giving her the "Diesel"* treatment to keep her incommunicado?

*This is a technique whereby they keep transferring a prisoner from one institution to another so no one knows how to contact the prisoner.

New news
The international attention around Barbour's claim to The Daily Item that she killed more than 22 people has disrupted security and efficiency at the prison, Johnson said. "It made it very, very difficult to focus on all the issues of all the inmates," Johnson said. Nineteen-year-old Miranda Barbour and 22-year-old Elytte Barbour are charged in the Nov. 11 slaying of Troy LaFerrara in Sunbury. Miranda Barbour's attorney, county chief public defender Edward Greco, filed a motion Monday to return her to the county prison. She was moved to Muncy on Friday. County commissioner and prison board member Vinny Clausi questioned why Johnson moved Miranda Barbour before her mother and grandmother could complete their 600-mile drive from North Carolina to see her. Johnson said he waited an extra day. They were supposed to come Thursday, but they apparently didn't show up until the next day. The commissioner asked the warden several times why the inmates couldn't be kept in the same prison, but Rosini cut him off several times, and the two argued for a moment. "There are other issues involved here that cannot be discussed in an open meeting," Rosini said. He urged Clausi to call an executive session if he wanted to be updated on certain details of the case, but such a meeting was not called.
http://newsitem.com/news/elytte-bar...y-prison-miranda-stays-at-sci-muncy-1.1640921
The order states, "The defendant shall continue to be housed at SCI-Muncy.

By separate order, under seal, arrangements have been made for the defendant's counsel to have reasonable access and transportation arrangements to meet with the defendant on occasion at Northumberland County Prison."

Chief public defender Edward Greco, who represents Barbour, said he is pleased with the stipulations made by attorneys in the case regarding his access to his 19-year-old client.

Greco, who was not aware his client was being moved to SCI-Muncy, previously claimed the transfer violated Barbour's constitutional rights and harmed his ability to prepare a defense since he wouldn't be able to easily communicate with Barbour.
http://newsitem.com/news/attorney-agrees-to-allow-miranda-barbour-to-remain-at-sci-muncy-1.1642613

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back