Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #1 - Evelyn Colon

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Doe Network:
Case File 169UFPA

Unidentified White Female
  • Located on December 20, 1976 in White Haven, Carbon County, Pennsylvania.

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: Her year of birth was estimated between 1954-1960.
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" - 163 cm; 150 lbs - 68 kg.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; brown hair. She had a small circular mole above her left eye, a mole on her left cheek and a 5.5" scar on her left leg, just above the heel. She had no previous fractures.
    [*]Dentals: Available.
    [*]Medical Information: She was carrying a full-term White female fetus. It is possible that the moles on her face developed at some time during her pregnancy.
    [*]Other: DNA not available

Case History
On December 20, 1976, the dismembered remains of the victim were found in three suitcases along the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, under a bridge of westbound Interstate Route 80.

She had been strangled, then shot in the neck and then dismembered with a fine, serrated tool. Her killer had removed her nose and ears.

It was determined that she had been dead less than 24 hours from the date she was found.

There were letters and numbers written on the left hand of the victim in ink (color of ink unknown). While there were different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would probably have lasted 8-12 hours.

The three suitcases the remains were found in were all the same size (23" x 14" x 7 1/2"). Two of them were blue in color, one was blue & tan plaid. The handles had been cut off of the suitcases before they were dropped at the site and the zippers had been painted with flat black paint.

Inside the suitcases, the police also found straw, dry packing foam, a cut up chenille bedspread and six sections of the New York Sunday News dated September 26, 1976. The bedspread was most likely originally pink in color, however, the worn and dirty condition made it appear more "rust" or "coral" colored. The bedspread had an embroidered yellow flower design.

Facial features such as the nose and the hair style are an artist's estimation to complete the image.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police
570-459-3890

NCMEC #: NCMU400049

It is possible that the moles on her face developed at some time during her pregnancy.
Can someone explain this??

That reconstruction looks weird. I wish they'd make all of them look alive. Some recon's just look strange.

anthrobones said:

That reconstruction looks weird. I wish they'd make all of them look alive. Some recon's just look strange.
Some pregnant women develope moles and/or skin tags from the pregnancy hormones. They usually go away after birth.

I agree the recon gives this girl a distinctive face. And it seems to me that someone, somewhere had to be missing a 8-9 month pregnant woman.

I wonder if that 150lb weight is her pregnancy weight? Or just a guess, considering she was in 3 suitcases.

This girl has a rather long thread on here.

I've been fascinated with this case since finding it a year ago.

I've contacted the detective in charge asking if there is a morgue photo of the writing on her hand and unfortunately, there is not.

search for carbon county jane doe, i think, to find her thread.

anthrobones said:

There is a third composite reconstruction of her online- I'll find it

UPDATE: Found link w/ third reconstruction: http://www.pennsylvaniamissing.com/carboncountybethdoe.html

The other one looks completely different from the other two

LisainWV said:

I've contacted the detective in charge asking if there is a morgue photo of the writing on her hand and unfortunately, there is not.

Thanks, I didn't find that thread about jane doe when I did a search here for the case #. I'll check out the thread. Too bad there's no photo of the writing, seems like it was a good clue.

outofthedark said:
There is a third composite reconstruction of her online- I'll find it

UPDATE: Found link w/ third reconstruction: http://www.pennsylvaniamissing.com/carboncountybethdoe.html

The other one looks completely different from the other two
Yes, different. The sketch shows a squarish face and wider nose. The reconstructions have an oval face and thinner nose. The big eyelids are the same though. Poor girl.

Marie said:
Yes, different. The sketch shows a squarish face and wider nose. The reconstructions have an oval face and thinner nose. The big eyelids are the same though. Poor girl.
The hair still looks somewhat the same too

I've been in contact with the lady still working this case and she's given me some interesting info. However, it's on my desktop at work - I'll have to check it for some extra info.

I do remember that she was pretty mutilated - with her nose being removed, it was difficult to do an accurate reconstruct.

As for her hair, they did it long and shorter hoping that a different hair length might trigger someone's memory.

Not to speak for LE, but from the info I have received, I think they suspect that she was here from another country - probably not listed in any missing person data base.

I'll see if my e-mails have any other interesting stuff on the case....
She pulls at my heart strings everytime I look at her sad face and I can't imagine what kind of animal it takes to kill and dismember her while also killing her baby!!

Maybe she had a very distinct nose and that is why the killer removed it. Then again, he could just be crazy and very angry....

I have my theories as to why she was killed:

1. Beth Doe's baby was most likely out of wedlock and it possibly caused a scandal in her family and they possibly didn't like that and perhaps a family member killed her given that she is estimated to be between 16-22 years old and I think in the 70s- an unwed teenaged mother was still unheard of

2. The boyfriend didn't want the baby and while killing the baby- killed her so she wouldn't do anything/say something afterwards

3. An angry ex-lover could have killed her because she broke up with him

I have been told by Gerry at NCMEC that the reconstruction they did for her is very accurate. That they had little to do to it but reconstruct a nose since it was missing.

I've heard about cutting off ears as trophies in battle, especially in the Pacific Theater of WWII and in Vietnam. I've also heard about this in the Middle East as part of punishment meted out to misbehaving women along with cutting of the nose, I guess it goes along with the idea of the honor killing - mutilation to punish for losing honor?

However, given her ethnicity, I would guess of the two ideas that it was more likely that her Vietnam vet boyfriend/husband freaked out on her and killed her, then when he came back to himself he decided to dump/hide her rather than fess up. If she had no family, it is possible that he could get away with it.

awagner said:
I have been told by Gerry at NCMEC that the reconstruction they did for her is very accurate. That they had little to do to it but reconstruct a nose since it was missing.

I reviewed some of my info on her and I wanted to clarify something....I agree that they did an accurate reconstruct. The detective stated that having the nose "wrong" could make her look completely different to someone looking for her.

Just didn't want to misrepresent any info.

awagner said:

I reviewed some of my info on her and I wanted to clarify something....I agree that they did an accurate reconstruct. The detective stated that having the nose "wrong" could make her look completely different to someone looking for her.

Just didn't want to misrepresent any info.

sorry for the double post - my dsl is really acting weird and I thought it hadn't posted!!

LisainWV said:

I don't think they will show you that considering her fate. The newspapers found in the suitcase was from Ny? I still think it "could" be cecila Pena. Her bus route is similar to the numbers found on her hand. Someone told me no because she was pregnant and only 14. For only being 14 she had a long travel evryday by herself hopping subways and buses back and forth to school from the Bronx to manhattan. Thats a pretty mature kid.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/107dfny.html

Maybe the note on her hand, WSR4 7 (or something like that) was the schedule for something, like a movie, a bus, or church. 4PM and 7PM.

OR maybe it was a place where she left something, like a laundromat, or a locker. (Washer #4 & 7.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member