Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #1 - Evelyn Colon

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The resemblance is uncanny! Good find! I wonder what her husband's name was? I wonder if his initials could be "WSR"...and she was trying to give a hint to identifying her since she knew she was going to die.
There is a Redmond family in the Pasadena MD area that is of prominence...I wonder if she is related to them?

Wow thats a great find! I agree why would her husband look for her at the airport?!? Fishy

I had looked at Betty a few times but didn't see much of a resemblance. However, she's closer than I first thought. The date coincidence completely slipped me.

My only question, where was she from September 26 (the date she was reported missing) and the date she was found deceased (Dec 20, without double-checking that date) because it seems as though it was a "fresh kill" (sorry, that's blunt) ? She would have been completely out of the public eye some way and unable to contact family or LE. Was she being held hostage?

CCJD, has Betty been checked?

I saw Redmonds picture before and never thought about it until the newer picture of Beth Doe came out. Then I realized the dates matched. That's all it is for now. I don't know what the husbands first name is.
I also looked up Airport codes out of BWI airport has a listing for WSR for an Indonsia airline.
I looked a little further to find out if you could tell an accurate time of death if someone had been frozen at the HBO Autopsy site and Dr. Baden said ,it could only be done by stomach contents. I don't know how that would apply here if at all.
She obviously came from somewhere near the area.
The thing that throws it off is that Redmond was never reported to be pregnant as far as I have read anywhere.

Doe says no dna available. Is there any chance she would be exhumed for dna? her baby's dna would also provide a hint on the father.
Having her exhumed and DNA extracted is something that's currently being looked into. When I have more on that, I'll let you know. As far as DNA from the child possibly pointing to the father - I'm just guessing, but I'd bet a lot would have to do with the state of the remains after 30 years. I guess we won't know 'til the time comes if DNA can be extracted from the baby's bones at all.

Do they know for sure it was black paint on the zipper? Could it have been creosoult?(spelling) the black stuff they treat railroad ties with. Was there railroad tracks near the suitcases?
Yes, flat black paint on the zippers. And the handles cut off. The killer went the extra mile to avoid leaving fingerprints behind.

There ARE railroad tracks that run along the Lehigh River. From what I've been able to find, I think they're from the old Switchback Gravity Railroad. (but I could be wrong). Way back, it was used to transport anthracite/coal. Later it was a tourist attraction but had been of service for years before Beth Doe was murdered.

One of the sites I found mentioning the Switchback Railroad (there's quite a few): http://www.explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=665

Betty Redmond. Yes, I thought there was a striking resemblence between her and the state police artist's sketch. She's been ruled out, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't pregnant when she disappeared - if she had been 6 months along, chances are it would've been obvious.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Farmer's Almanac weather history http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?number=725130&wban=14777&direction=next&day=20&month=12&year=1976&searchtype=place
doesn't specifically have White Haven, but for Wilkes-Barre...

on December 19, 1976 (day before the remains were found) the weather was:

MINIMUM
TEMPERATURE

14.0°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Minimum temperature
reported during the day.[/font]
MEAN
TEMPERATURE

26.7°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Mean temperature
for the day.[/font]
MAXIMUM
TEMPERATURE

44.1°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Maximum temperature

For Monday, December 20th, 1976:

MINIMUM
TEMPERATURE

32.0°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Minimum temperature
MEAN
TEMPERATURE

38.1°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Mean temperature
for the day.[/font]
MAXIMUM
TEMPERATURE

51.1°F
[font=arial,sans-serif]Maximum temperature

Good visibility both days and only .05" precipitation on the 19th.

Since Beth Doe & child were found so close to time of death, I don't think the weather would be much of a factor.

The dismemberment was not haphazard and was performed with a fine, serrated tool. While it was not a surgeon's type cut, an investigator was quoted as saying of the killer "he knew what he was doing". The arms, legs and head had been severed from the body. The torso was cut into two pieces. The ears and nose had been cut off and were not recovered at the scene. Some of the body parts had been wrapped in a chenille bedspread and the torso had been covered with a newspaper.

While it was not a surgeon's type cut, an investigator was quoted as saying of the killer "he knew what he was doing".

So what do they mean by this ? Like , perhaps a person in some sort of Medical School?

What ruled her out? and when? The husbands say so? Husbands lawyer?

Where all her siblings questioned as to the last time they saw her?
I just ask because I'm digging here and a certain Geneology site had someone inquiring about her in 2001? listed the names of siblings and her grandmother. Obviously someone knew she was missing by 2001 , I think it was put there to get to the truth.
The woman posting is from the same area. Weirder....

CCJD,
Are you saying the zippers were painted and the handles removed by the killer in order to avoid leaving fingerprints?

Marie said:
CCJD,Are you saying the zippers were painted and the handles removed by the killer in order to avoid leaving fingerprints?
That's the only reason I can think of. Why else would the handles be cut off all 3 suitcases? If nothing else, the handles would have made throwing them off the bridge easier. I imagine the suitcases must have been pretty awkward to lift out of a vehicle and throw towards the river. But I'm open to suggestions. Anyone else have any thoughts on why the handles would be cut off?

CCJD said:
That's the only reason I can think of. Why else would the handles be cut off all 3 suitcases? If nothing else, the handles would have made throwing them off the bridge easier. I imagine the suitcases must have been pretty awkward to lift out of a vehicle and throw towards the river. But I'm open to suggestions. Anyone else have any thoughts on why the handles would be cut off?
I'm not really sure, it just struck me strongly from the beginning that the missing handles and painted zippers were some of the very few clues in this case; especially the oddity of the painted zippers. I guess I assumed the opposite of what you did - I think removing the handles is an odd and difficult way to hide fingerprints; there are so many other easier & effective means of print removal.

Here are my thoughts:

The handles could have possibly been removed for 'innocent' reasons prior to the murder - maybe they were broken, maybe they were removed for easier storage purposes (to fit neatly on a shelf for example), etc. Or perhaps there was some sort of identification (blood or a name) on the handles and that's why they were removed. The killer could have also removed the handles at the scene, after removing them from the vehicle and just before throwing them, assuming he wasn't wearing gloves and didn't have a cloth to wipe off the handles.

As for painting the zippers, I have no idea why that might be done! I've done a bit of google searching but haven't come up with anything yet.

I'm curious as to how old the suitcases were (brand new & bought for the purpose of body disposal? old & used?), and the brand names. Where at & when were they sold? How were the handles cut off? With what were they cut off? (the same instrument used to cut the body?).

I think the paint was used as a sort of glue. So the zipper wouldn't come apart. Or get rusty and open up. Guess whoever did that was wrong.

And most likely this would have been done at night. How else would you end up throwing it and miss the water? I saw the picture of the bridge on the website and think whoever did it ,did not stop in the middle of the bridge but at the beginning and didn't go all the way in the middle .
I still think whatever happened to her that newspaper date was the date it happened. Otherwise the paper was 3 months old? If you commit an act like that you need to do something with the body so it may have been wrapped up and put in a freezer thus removing the handles to fit. Maybe...

CCJD said:

Maybe they were taken off so they didnt snag on something in the water.This seemed so well planned out like nothing I have ever read before. Alot of fore thought went into the disposal. Why go through all that when the person could have buried the bodies?

One more thing , do they know what she was shot with? Does anyone think its abnormal to have a wife with a "nervous" condition and they keep a gun in the house? One that she can get to? :rolleyes:

ihadcabinfever said:
The dismemberment was not haphazard and was performed with a fine, serrated tool. While it was not a surgeon's type cut, an investigator was quoted as saying of the killer "he knew what he was doing". The arms, legs and head had been severed from the body. The torso was cut into two pieces. The ears and nose had been cut off and were not recovered at the scene. Some of the body parts had been wrapped in a chenille bedspread and the torso had been covered with a newspaper.

While it was not a surgeon's type cut, an investigator was quoted as saying of the killer "he knew what he was doing".

So what do they mean by this ? Like , perhaps a person in some sort of Medical School?

I was thinking maybe a butcher?
Did anybody see the link I posted on the last page of the missing girl in Germany?

laini said:
Did anybody see the link I posted on the last page of the missing girl in Germany?
That was my thought also. Or maybe someone who does a lot of hunting and cuts and skins the animals.

laini said:

I did see your post. Sorry about that. I was thinking they meant a Vetrenarian maybe or someone in training to be in the medical field.
Anyway whoever did this CANNOT get away with this. It is the most disgusting act. The person that did this has to be held accountable.
The science is there and it will send a message to others that it will be a matter of time,but you will be punished. Really... :banghead:

ihadcabinfever said:
I did see your post. Sorry about that. I was thinking they meant a Vetrenarian maybe or someone in training to be in the medical field.
Anyway whoever did this CANNOT get away with this. It is the most disgusting act. The person that did this has to be held accountable.
The science is there and it will send a message to others that it will be a matter of time,but you will be punished. Really... :banghead:

What did you think of the missing girl from Germany? I think she looks a lot like this Jane Doe. Curious what everyone else thinks. TIA :)

http://wherearethey.bravepages.com/cases/def0001.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member