Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance that Beth once had blondish hair, either natural or dyed?
This uid had been hitch-hiking with another girl in TN.prior to being found deceased in a river, it is not known what may have happened to her petite, blondish traveling companion.
A stretch, but since that occurred in March, 1976, if the uid's friend was pregnant, or became pregnant about that time, she would be due approx. in December, 1976.
Coincidentally, the deceased uid, looks somewhat similar to Beth including face mole.
speculation.fwiw.
http://blog.missingkids.com/post/98306528340/clues-but-no-name-in-case-of-unknown-girl

[h=2]Travelling companion[/h] The companion was Caucasian with sandy blonde hair, a thin build and wire-rimmed glasses. She told the men that she had also been at the institution or treatment center due to her suicidal tendencies. The men told police that the girl then showed scars on her wrists.
The girls told the men that they were heading to Haines City, Florida to visit the companion’s husband. The men did not know the companion’s name and said they last saw the two girls get into another vehicle heading southeast.

Do they ever do DNA texting on foetuses? Seems there are several cases where pregnant women are killed. Wondering if identification could happen if a paternal match was made. Thoughts?

Do they ever do DNA texting on foetuses? Seems there are several cases where pregnant women are killed. Wondering if identification could happen if a paternal match was made. Thoughts?

Wondering if familial DNA from the fetus, might identify the father if he or one of his family members is, orhas been in jail, imo.
http://citizensvoice.com/news/woman-unborn-baby-killed-in-1976-remain-unidentified-1.1250966
By Jill Whalen (Staff Writer) / Published: December 30, 2011
Investigators entered DNA from Beth Doe and the fetus into a national database and the NaMUS database, an Internet-based database that profiles missing persons and unidentified bodies, McAndrew said.
rbbm

W.s. r. 47 are weatherization coordinates established in 1974. It's for loxahatchee river how ever it's spelled.

Has anyone watched the TV show The Fall? There are 2 seasons worth on netflix. One of the actresses that plays a character in the show named Rose Stagg Strongly resembles the original recon. Wonder if there is a family connection? I know it is far fetched but the actress and Beth Does recon really look similar, tho I have not done a side by side. I believe the actress real name is Valene Kane and she is an Irish actress. Wonder if it would be possible to search her genealogy to see if there is a connection.

The recent case with Lori Ruff used DNA and 23plusme (I believe) to find her distant relatives. I wonder if that would be useful in this case. Even if it found a 3rd cousin it's better than what we have now, which is nothing.

Bumping for Beth since we are coming up on 40 years.

I sent a link about the Ruff case to the Detective for Beth.

Hello, I'm super new here. This is my first time posting anything, actually. :)
I have always been bothered by the Beth Doe case, maybe because I have a sweet baby girl of my own at a younger age, I live in Pennsylvania, or maybe just because it's awful how this woman left the Earth and deserves justice and her name back at the least.. For some reason the state of New York kept tugging at me. (Probably the newspaper) It seems to be a mild stretch.. but I found this woman missing in New York. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8048/16 Her name is Valarie Lorraine Cuccia. She was reported missing in the year of 1974. Two years before Beth Doe was discovered. The height is off a bit, at 66 inches but there's room for error in both the missing persons report and the estimate on Beth Doe's height. She was 20 when reported missing, putting her age at 22 in 1976. I would not say her image is similar to that of Beth Doe, but I can faintly see some similarities. Although two years missing and pregnancy can change a persons looks a bit, I'd assume.
What shot out at me was that she was reported to have a scar on her left calf. Just like Beth. I think it's worth a shot to report and see if it goes anywhere. Even if it isn't her, it narrows down the search by one more person. I'm not sure who to contact about this, though and would love some direction on who to report it to! Always thinking of her and her sweet baby girl. <3

I have always been bothered by the Beth Doe case, maybe because I have a sweet baby girl of my own at a younger age, I live in Pennsylvania, or maybe just because it's awful how this woman left the Earth and deserves justice and her name back at the least.. For some reason the state of New York kept tugging at me. (Probably the newspaper) It seems to be a mild stretch.. but I found this woman missing in New York. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8048/16 Her name is Valarie Lorraine Cuccia. She was reported missing in the year of 1974. Two years before Beth Doe was discovered. The height is off a bit, at 66 inches but there's room for error in both the missing persons report and the estimate on Beth Doe's height. She was 20 when reported missing, putting her age at 22 in 1976. I would not say her image is similar to that of Beth Doe, but I can faintly see some similarities. Although two years missing and pregnancy can change a persons looks a bit, I'd assume.
What shot out at me was that she was reported to have a scar on her left calf. Just like Beth. I think it's worth a shot to report and see if it goes anywhere. Even if it isn't her, it narrows down the search by one more person. I'm not sure who to contact about this, though and would love some direction on who to report it to! Always thinking of her and her sweet baby girl. <3

There is a contact option on the left hand side of the NamUs page.
You can email the NamUs case rep listed there.

Welcome to Ws Addie Sunny!
Very interesting find, photo from your link..
attachment.php

Valarie Cuccia

Attachments

• img_12435.jpeg
    img_12435.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 189
There is a contact option on the left hand side of the NamUs page.
You can email the NamUs case rep listed there.

Thanks a bunch!
I think it is very much unlikely her but it's always worth a shot, right?
I actually see a l lot more resemblance from Nancy Kirkpatrick. (missing April of '76) but I'm not quite sure how plausible it is that someone from Montana would end up in rural Pennsylvania... I might be just grasping at straws here. 40 years is next month. I hope this case gets a lot more publicity and someone finally comes forward with something. I find it hard to believe she didn't have a home or some type of shelter plan. What full term (37+ week) pregnant woman does not have a place to take baby home to, preparations for her child (i.e clothes, crib, etc.) She should have been in full nesting mode at that point. Possibly traveling with someone for the holidays? But why didn't the person expecting her report her missing? Most full term pregnant women do not travel far, for fear of sudden labor and giving birth in an unfamiliar town/hospital & being unprepared. This makes me believe she lived close to the area or had recently moved to the area. I'm not sure how prenatal care worked in 1976. Did she not see a doctor at any point? I would see if OBGYN or doctors offices in the area had a patient that suddenly stopped visiting or left the practice before the child was born. I'm trying to put myself in her shoes. If I was 9 months pregnant what would I be doing? Was she threatening to take the baby and leave the father? Had she decided to leave her abusive relationship suddenly before the child was born? Was she caught trying to leave? Did he find out the baby wasn't his? I really think the father of the child did this. Unless the baby's father was unknown, the dad most definitely would have been alarmed and spoke up when his very pregnant partner shows up missing..and found murdered. I'm thinking a young couple (newlyweds?), struggling to live on their own, possibly living far from family (family who may not have reason to suspect their daughter/son missing or even expecting a baby). I think they recently moved to PA or nearby so no one really knows them. If he was abusive, it's possible she never left their house to be seen in the community. Things take a turn for the worse (one of the scenarios above) he savagely murders her. Probably has a hunting/medical background and access to an area where he can dismember her. Puts her in suitcases (maybe from their move?) and tries to discard of her. I have a feeling he probably stuck around for a while as to not arise suspicion, but not long, and moved away.. He probably told her/his family that she had left him or maybe even died in birth with the child and was buried in PA somewhere. Depending on how gullible they were and how elaborate and persuasive he was I could see that story being accepted. He's more than likely still alive and probably feels no remorse because he's obviously an abusive monster who snapped one day or has possibly planned this for a few weeks. Just my theory.

Valarie Cuccia is listed as a rule out for Beth. I like your thoughts on her not going far though Addie Sunny!. I was thinking she was going to go 'home' for Christmas from one of the mining areas north of White Haven.https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/8913

I contacted some news people in Tennessee the other day hoping they would pick up her story for the 40th anniversary of her death. One anchor seemed interested so I referred her to the Detective in the case. I have never seen a news article from down that way so maybe we need to push that more.

If she came over in a family unit I was thinking her dad may have been unskilled labor in the mines. It's an assumption based on her lack of dental care. The mining towns had their own schools, but, did the children of miners learn English in them and when did they start working? Did they tend to graduate high school or did they get pushed to work for the mining companies in their teens?

Could those letters/numbers be a phone number (old school type) or a method of travel (bus/train) from PA back to the Tenn, area?

I was poking around for ideas on her the other day. Here are some notes I took and things I found:

15 to 25 years old &#8211; median age 20 &#8211; DOB circa 1956

5 to 10 years in the USA &#8211; median timeframe 7.5 years, date of immigration circa 1968

Age of immigration about 12. (Family-based immigration put in place in 1965.)

High School grad year circa 1974

Tennessee most prevalent country of origin for immigrants is Germany 1970. (per NY Times link below)

Pennsylvania Luzerne County area most prevalent country of origin for immigrants is Italy 1970. Includes NY and NJ 1970. (per NY Times link below)

Most prominent country with brown eyes is Italy (61%) whereas Germany (30%). (Google search)

Ethnicity: She may have been of Mediterranean heritage. (From early news reports.)

Italian immigrants in Tenn and surrounding areas are mostly in Knox County Tenn, (142) and McDowell Cty. WV. (313).

Some surrounding counties list less than 100.

Blood type 0+ is almost equally as common in both areas. Germany 35% Italy 40%
Blood type 0- is almost equally as common in both areas. Germany 6% Italy 7%

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/10/us/20090310-immigration-explorer.html?_r=0

McDowell Cty WV was a mining area much like Luzerne Cty PA. Counties west of Knoxville were also mining areas.

https://jovinacooksitalian.com/2013/05/31/west-virginias-little-italy-communities/

As late as 1970, Italians with at least one parent born in Italy constituted West Virginia&#8217;s second-largest ethnic group.
(IDK if southern WV lines up with the isotope info.)

FYI - "The Italian alphabet does not normally include the letters J, K, W X and Y, but since there are some words derived from other languages that are normally used in Italy (as well as personal names), we included these letters in here."

So: a) I'm totally off by thinking she was born in Italy, b) WSR is an English term which could be why it was written on her hand, or c) The interpretation of the letters is wrong.

I was digging around on the mining theme:

The early 1970s was a good time for women to begin coalmining. Just one year after they went to work in the mines, the 1974 oil crisis sent coal prices soaring along with wages and hirings. That year, a record 45,501 men were hired compared with 6,713 the year before. Towns that had been known for their Appalachian poverty made the national news for the record numbers of millionaires, Mercedes-Benzes, and front-lawn satellite dishes they spawned.

Most important, because there were finally jobs to be had in the mines, thousands of homesick miners who had moved to the industrial Northeast to find work came back home in swarms.

http://www.csmonitor.com/1988/0711/acoal.html

I have often wondered if the WSR could have been WSB, since no picture was taken of the lettering on the hand you only have one person's account for it. WSB is initials for Wilkes-Barre PA which is a major area near the Mountaintop/White Haven area. If you are in Wilkes-Barre you take the two and a half mile mountain up into Mountaintop which is 309. Parallel to 309 is a road that takes you right into White Haven.

Valarie Cuccia is listed as a rule out for Beth. I like your thoughts on her not going far though Addie Sunny!. I was thinking she was going to go 'home' for Christmas from one of the mining areas north of White Haven.https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/8913

I contacted some news people in Tennessee the other day hoping they would pick up her story for the 40th anniversary of her death. One anchor seemed interested so I referred her to the Detective in the case. I have never seen a news article from down that way so maybe we need to push that more.

If she came over in a family unit I was thinking her dad may have been unskilled labor in the mines. It's an assumption based on her lack of dental care. The mining towns had their own schools, but, did the children of miners learn English in them and when did they start working? Did they tend to graduate high school or did they get pushed to work for the mining companies in their teens?

Could those letters/numbers be a phone number (old school type) or a method of travel (bus/train) from PA back to the Tenn, area?

I was poking around for ideas on her the other day. Here are some notes I took and things I found:

15 to 25 years old – median age 20 – DOB circa 1956

5 to 10 years in the USA – median timeframe 7.5 years, date of immigration circa 1968

Age of immigration about 12. (Family-based immigration put in place in 1965.)

High School grad year circa 1974

Tennessee most prevalent country of origin for immigrants is Germany 1970. (per NY Times link below)

Pennsylvania Luzerne County area most prevalent country of origin for immigrants is Italy 1970. Includes NY and NJ 1970. (per NY Times link below)

Most prominent country with brown eyes is Italy (61%) whereas Germany (30%). (Google search)

Ethnicity: She may have been of Mediterranean heritage. (From early news reports.)

Italian immigrants in Tenn and surrounding areas are mostly in Knox County Tenn, (142) and McDowell Cty. WV. (313).

Some surrounding counties list less than 100.

Blood type 0+ is almost equally as common in both areas. Germany 35% Italy 40%
Blood type 0- is almost equally as common in both areas. Germany 6% Italy 7%

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/10/us/20090310-immigration-explorer.html?_r=0

McDowell Cty WV was a mining area much like Luzerne Cty PA. Counties west of Knoxville were also mining areas.

https://jovinacooksitalian.com/2013/05/31/west-virginias-little-italy-communities/

As late as 1970, Italians with at least one parent born in Italy constituted West Virginia’s second-largest ethnic group.
(IDK if southern WV lines up with the isotope info.)

FYI - "The Italian alphabet does not normally include the letters J, K, W X and Y, but since there are some words derived from other languages that are normally used in Italy (as well as personal names), we included these letters in here."

So: a) I'm totally off by thinking she was born in Italy, b) WSR is an English term which could be why it was written on her hand, or c) The interpretation of the letters is wrong.

Isotopes showed eastern Tennessee. Hit up CCJD to see if she contacted any news outlets for the anniversary.
She's logged in but hasn't posted in Beth's thread since Sept. She runs PA missing

Investigators close in on Beth Doe and her killer - By Bill Landauer, Of The Morning Call November 29, 2014, 10:05PM
The practice, known as chemical stable and heavy isotope analysis, has been used for years by archaeologists and anthropologists. Its application in forensics is newer, and it has given McAndrew new hope.

A few months ago, McAndrew sent some of Beth Doe's tooth enamel, bone and hair samples, taken when investigators exhumed the body in 2007, to the University of South Florida for analysis.

The university recently presented McAndrew with the first new information about the Beth Doe case in decades.

If the findings are correct, Beth Doe was born and spent her early childhood in western or central Europe. She moved to the United States as a child or a teenager. She spent at least five to 10 years in the United States before her murder.

She also most likely became pregnant in this country. And she probably lived in the Southeast, possibly somewhere in eastern Tennessee.

The science is inexact, McAndrew said, although there is no telling what breakthrough will lead them down the proper path toward identifying Beth Doe. Already, McAndrew and his fellow officers are using the evidence to look into missing persons cases in the Southeast.

Suitcases
Thinking of a current case , a Dr. put his murdered wife into the suitcase that she and her mother had used to travel from Croatia to Canada, and could not help but think that Beth's remains were put into her own, or a family member's, suitcase too.
Did she use the suitcase to pack items for a stay at a hospital, or maternity home for unwed mothers?
speculation.

I'd be curious to know if there is coal dust all over the bedspread/suitcases. If she was in one of those mining areas as a worker, or spouse of worker, I'd think it would have been hard to NOT have dust on everything.

I was thinking that the letters and numbers couldn't have been anything to close by or LE would have figured it out at the time.

There was a train in some coal areas way out in south west PA that was named something like Waynesburg South Route - but it was a closed rail system and not connected to commuter rails or anything further than northern WV.

Maybe the WSR thing is in Tenn. IDK if anyone has looked there. I haven't.......until now! :)

Maybe I've missed the specifics on this before:

The only clues were newspapers found in the suitcase were dated Sept. 26, 1976, and linked to the areas of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Morris, Sussex, Passaic, Somerset and Union counties in New Jersey. Parts of the body were wrapped in a Sept. 26, 1976 edition of The New York Times.

http://www.tnonline.com/2015/may/14/police-investigate-carbon-cold-case-murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member