Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I knew exactly where in the neck she was shot because that was something the killer wanted to do not something he needed to do.. If my theory is correct, I think he would have shot her in her windpipe close enough to leave powder burns. He wanted her voice silenced about the pregnancy.

The video made for her brought me to tears. She deserved so much better.

http://www.squidoo.com/missingwoman1976#module73745761

I am not getting the feeling she was an immigrant. I think those dental fillings during that time frame just seem more American than foreign. I hope they checked her dental records with all the dentist's offices in around a 70 mile radius from that overpass.

I keep coming back to Karen Beth Kamsch lately.

Depending on what you read, Karen never started school in the fall of 1976.

Now Beth Doe would have conceived in mid to late March of 1976. So assuming she was in school, no one would have likely noticed the pregnancy by June. However, they would have noticed in September so if someone wanted to hide that pregnancy - your not going back to school in Sept.

I'm wondering if anyone in the family (other than the grandmother) saw Karen in the fall (say Thanksgiving time) - because the death right before Christmas of Beth could have been deliberate to cover up the pregnancy/infant from family members who would be gathering and asking questions.

Some articles say Karen was abused but they decline to elaborate on it. I'm wondering if it was sexual abuse.

It is interesting - or coincidental - that Beth Doe was exhumed in Oct of 2007 for DNA - a couple months after the well on Wishing Rock (Karen's case) was examined for evidence.

From Beth's case:

While there were different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7.

Karen lived at 51 Wishing Rock Rd

Assuming she wanted to write her address - or someone else's address from Wishing Rock on her hand.....Wishing Rock Rd isn't that big though...I don't think she would have needed to write down someone else's.

Wishing Rock - could be WSR the

first number is a 4 or 5 OK - use 5
The second number could be a 1 that was interpreted to be a 7 - it could depend on her handwriting.

An article for the 35th anniversary of Beth Doe's discovery:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/35-year-old_mystery_remains_unsolved_12-20-2011.html

McAndrew said investigators learned that a specific suitcase manufacturer discarded flawed suitcases by removing the handles.

I don't remember seeing this information in previous articles; forgive me if it has. That's interesting because while removing the suitcases would effectively destroy their resale value, there might have been nothing to stop employees from taking a few defective suitcases home to use for storing things. Presumably the factory didn't have a trash compactor because you'd think crushing defective suitcases would be less time-consuming than removing the handles. It still doesn't explain the paint on the zippers.

I wonder if LE has looked into past employees of the suitcase factory and whether any of them had a girlfriend or wife who suddenly "left" him. They should also talk to people who lived near the factory and see if they remember whether it was common to see just anyone salvaging suitcases from the trash bins...in other words, was the factory easily accessible or were only employees permitted on the grounds?

I don't remember seeing this information in previous articles; forgive me if it has.
You are correct, tatertot, that info has not been released before.

As far as the spray paint is concerned...I've been in retail (pretty much all aspects of it) for more years than I care to count. Several years ago I was involved in the liquidation of merchandise that had been 'packed away' - some for years. We'd mark it down, 25% - 50% - 75% - 90% then discard whatever was left of it in the dumpster. Our instruction was to essentially render the product unusable so that folks couldn't dumpster dive and take it back to a store for a refund. So we were told to spray paint it. Granted, this is retail, not manufacturer, but I can see how that extra step might be taken. Cut off the handles, spray paint around the zippers - and throw it in the dumpster. From there, back in the 70s, it would likely end up in "the dump". That's what we called them back then, not landfills. Dumps. Anything and everything ended up there.

So could it have been someone who worked at a luggage manufacturer? Sure. Or a dumpster diver. Or the guy who emptied the dumpster. Or someone treasure hunting at a dump.

Sigh!

This case is another one that has always baffled me. For an almost full term pregnant girl to go missing and for no one to miss her is crazy.

The article that was posted about her 35th years of going unidentified brings some interesting insight.. especially about the suitcase handles being cut off by the manufacturer for beling flawed...

It is so horrible how this monster dismembered her, to cut off her nose, ears and breasts...

She was found by Interstate 80, she could be from anywhere.

A body was found last month along a rest stop on the PA turnpike in Bedford and the girl was identified last week from a girl missing from Portland Oregon.

Hopefully with the DNA they can identify her. This is so sad.

"The exhumation did lead to increased interest in this case and we routinely get tips from all over the country," McAndrew said. "Unfortunately, none have panned out."

Investigators entered DNA from Beth Doe and the fetus into a national database and the NaMUS database, an Internet-based database that profiles missing persons and unidentified bodies, McAndrew said. "Hopefully this will lead to something in the future," he said.

For more information on the case, visit www.pamissing.com.

I wonder if they did a DNA extraction on the fetus? It seems like they might be able to find the baby's father that way if he's ever been in trouble. Maybe not; I'm not sure how that all works.

I wonder if they did a DNA extraction on the fetus? It seems like they might be able to find the baby's father that way if he's ever been in trouble. Maybe not; I'm not sure how that all works.

The NamUs database does show that there was DNA tests done on the fetus. Look in the DNA section and it lists an ID number for the fetus. https://identifyus.org/cases/8913

As for the father ever being in trouble, I don't think that LE routinely take DNA on everybody arrested, just if they are suspected of a crime that would involve DNA (rape, murder, etc.) I am pretty sure that they were not using DNA tests in the late 1970's.

Changing the subject: This is the first that I have come across this case. I grew up in NJ less than an hour from where Beth Doe was found. I graduated high school in 1977, so we would be close to the same age. Something about her image is eerily familiar. I can't place it, but it could be a childhood memory of a girl that was in the foster care system. I can't remember her name but I think it started with a D - Darlene, Donna or Debbie? She was in our school district for maybe a year or two, probably around 1972/1973. I remember the place where she lived, it was a sort of group home or home for "wayward girls" as my mother described it. It seems to me that she was of Italian descent, which would match the Mediterranean mentioned.

Another thought is that she could have been part of culture that practiced arranged marriages when the girls were in their mid-teens. One of my high school friends was from Greece and her family arranged to have her husband brought over when she was 16. She was pregnant by the time she was 17 and by the time she was 20 she was divorced. The guy had beat her pretty badly but still she was shunned from the family when she left him. Beth Doe's murder seems very personal, not just random. So could it be that she was pregnant when the man she was promised to came to the US and when he found out, he killed her? Just a thought...

I drove along rt 80 from Danville PA to Delaware Water Gap last weekend. I was watching for the bridge she was thrown off of and when I found it it just really struck me that that is a first opportunity dump spot. There is so much state forest to drive through on the east side - and there are better rivers on the east and west sides. That bridge is high as well and some of the other ones are much lower and going over larger rivers.

It just felt like a first opportunity type spot.

It would be interesting to see a 1976 PA road map to see what roads were there. There is a loop from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area now - 476s to 80w to 81n - right back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I'm wondering if it was there then.

Namus has: Estimated postmortem interval 7 Days

That is different from the original reports.

:candle: for Beth Doe and her little girl. :rose:

I was thinking that the gunshot wound is odd. That's a strange place to shoot someone- in the neck. Why not shoot her in the head? In fact, why shoot her at all? The killer was obviously strong to cut her up like that with a fine serrated blade (likely a hacksaw). She was strangled first, and he knew he killed her that way. Why then shoot her in the neck afterward? That's pure risk: risk of someone hearing the shot, risk of someone finding the bullet. Since it was unnecessary and risky it's something he just wanted to do.

I've wondered about the shooting as well. Maybe just an inexperienced killer....depending on where it was on the neck.

Twenty years later, another dismembered girl, dark hair, dark eyes, found in a suitcase in the water - bed covering also involved. Some scuttlebutt has it she was killed by a motorcycle gang - shades of the two girls found at French Creek, not so far away. To my knowledge there were/are motorcycle gangs in the area, met up with a few of them.
PENNSYLVANIA UNIDENTIFIED-Downingtown, PA Jul 11, 1995 - Help Find The Missing

I lived for 4 LONG months 2 roads over from where this body was found. The area is VERY spooky, has a BAD feel to it. I had to move out. There are more legends and stories about deaths and ghosts in the area, I have to check them out.

I posted this here because I wonder if there is a pattern, an ongoing pattern, of disposing of young girls in suitcases with bedding in the water.

Okay, I found a bit more of interest, maybe?

"The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — A Pennsylvania couple wanted in the dismemberment slaying of a man who was cut into pieces and stashed in a backpack and under a bed in a downtown hotel room was arrested Friday, authorities said."

Read More http://www.timesleader.com/stories/...ss=1&town_id=1&sub_type=stories#ixzz26d3QmNqb

Could it be that the bedspread on Carbon County Jane Doe, and the one from Downingtown were taken from a motel or hotel? Maybe the dismemberment was done there in the tub or shower. The NY Times had me wondering, thinking the killer(s) had to have some intelligence to be reading it, but maybe not. Sometimes in hotels/motels, newspapers are left out for "guests" to read.

Just some points to ponder.

Some of the articles describe the bedspread as the kind you'd find in a motel, but that style was generally popular in "country" decorating (whether authentically rural or city imitation) for most of the fifties and sixties.

I've often wondered whether it was at a cottage that hunters rent -- with a shed or garage where they could butcher and hang their game. Uh, I don't think I'm going to get any more detailed than that, but blood wouldn't have been a big issue.

Some of the articles describe the bedspread as the kind you'd find in a motel, but that style was generally popular in "country" decorating (whether authentically rural or city imitation) for most of the fifties and sixties.

I've often wondered whether it was at a cottage that hunters rent -- with a shed or garage where they could butcher and hang their game. Uh, I don't think I'm going to get any more detailed than that, but blood wouldn't have been a big issue.

For some reason I can't picture a hunting camp with a bunch of hunters as the place she was killed and mutilated. I cannot picture more than one man interested in murdering, cutting off parts of a pregant woman; to me this murder/mutilation is very personal. i also can't picture a hunting camp with bedspreads, but I could be wrong.

Deer hunting in the PA "southern tier" (I don't know what area that encompasses exactly) is a place well-known by hunters even from as distant as the Canadian Border of NY, they visit, about once a year or so. But, I believe??? the deer season was past by then, does anyone know? I never cared to keep track since we weren't much of a hunting family.

BTW, while I may be new to posting on this thread, I am not new to this case, have followed, watched, thought about it for years. I even considered she may have been native American, Greek, or Italian. I also wonder about the date of death, 1976, a Bicentennial year, for most of the states. Could that have played into this?

During the forties and fifties my family still used their "old" (and that they were) chenille bedspreads, never mind the "fashion". Somehow I can imagine an "old" bedspread, or one from a motel being used.

So, what do we have now? A suitcase which may have been a reject with the handles cut off - I believe that's a good clue. Were there any manufacturers of suitcases in the area at that time?

We have a worse for wear chenille bedspread from a home where they kept and used that sort of thing/rural probably, a motel, or from a wife who wanted to get rid of stuff she no longer wanted it pawned it off on hunting hubby.

We have a NY Times, either a freebie or hanging around wherever the deed was done. It it was from a motel, that I can understand, grab the free paper, or put in your dime and run. If it came from home, however, that suggests the perp was a hair smarter than the average.

Then we have the straw packing. That suggests the suitcase manufacturer. Does anyone know where suitcases were manufactured in the tri-state area? By this I mean NY, NJ, and PA. It could, of course go a bit further south to MD and Delaware, or a bit north to CT.

What else does anyone think there is of evidentiary value? The nose, ears, and breasts cut off? What meaning to this? I don't know, I believe it's personal, very personal, almost reminds me of Saucy Jack. Obviously it had the meaning to the perp. Any other cases like that with the same or similar parts cut off?

And let's not forget the writing on her hand:

"There were letters and numbers written on the left hand of the victim in ink (color of ink unknown). While there were different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would probably have lasted 8-12 hours."

Lasted 8 - 12 hours. What does that tell us? The killer had to kill, dismember, pack her in suitcases, and drive to the site of the dump within that time period. Where would that lead us? It would take him at least 2/3 hours to do that, deduct from 12, what do we have - 9 hours. A body can do a LOT of traveling in 9 hours. Maybe the letters and numbers were directions. Hmm, new thought here, maybe I/we should look into that.

Just more thoughts, take them as you will.

I think that the ink would last 8 to 12 hours on a living person who is actively rubbing against their clothing and washing themselves. Ink on a deceased person would probably last much longer if the body remained dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire