Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Evelyn’s sister, Migdalia Colon was interviewed by investigators. She recalled that in mid-December of 1976 Evelyn told their mother she had not been feeling well and asked for her to bring soup. When the mother arrived at the Jersey City apartment shared by Luis and Evelyn, she found that it had been cleared out. Migdalia told police that Luis had been abusive and jealous, going as far as locking Evelyn in their apartment.

Evelyn Colon Cold Case Details Released | Eyewitness News

Even though these are what many people have assumed for years to be the general circumstances behind Evelyn's death and the life that she had been living shortly before being murdered, that article is a tough read. I'm guessing that he was the "perfect gentleman" at first (a lot of the times, that's how they get you to fall for them), but eventually, he started isolating Evelyn from her family and the outside world, eventually impregnating her, further cementing her status as his property. Absolutely terrible. That poor kid (and her poor kid).

As I said before in my last post, I would be very surprised if Luis did not continue this behavior in his future relationships with women.

Also wondering why, when he wrote the letter from Evelyn, he lied about the sex of the baby. He obviously knew the baby was a girl when he so callously threw her remains out like trash. Not that it matters but thy stick out to me. So glad she’s been identified and her killer is off the streets!!

Also wondering why, when he wrote the letter from Evelyn, he lied about the sex of the baby. He obviously knew the baby was a girl when he so callously threw her remains out like trash. Not that it matters but thy stick out to me. So glad she’s been identified and her killer is off the streets!!
Judging from the way he treated and murdered Evelyn he more than likely was very misogynist and viewed women as being worthless that's why he changed the gender of the baby.

Judging from the way he treated and murdered Evelyn he more than likely was very misogynist and viewed women as being worthless that's why he changed the gender of the baby.
Ugh. Makes “sense”

This is shaping up to be an extraordinarily sad story. Men like Luis know how to commit these crimes and get away with them (until now, thank god) because they know who they can target and get away with. I hope he ROTS.

I really don't get why Luis decided to write a letter to her family "as Evelyn" knowing she couldn't read or write.

I can’t seem to find either facebook....

I think I missed something, what's with the alleged female killer?

probably to throw them off if they ever heard of the bodies' discovery.

I was talking with @jessr927 about Evelyn and she suggested that maybe Evelyn was attempting to write Luis's name on her hand, and the L and U were connected and gave the appearance of being a W. Since he was presumably born in 1957 as others have brought up, maybe the 57 was a reference to his birth year and the W was LU.

I was thinking maybe S and R were all she could write from his last name Sierra, or she may have written a lower case I that wasn't clear.

I attached an example I wrote of the L and U just in case I'm talking in circles.

Attachments

• received_750704185816772.jpeg
    received_750704185816772.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 62
As the murder investigation stretched into the new millennium, Sierra went on with his life as if nothing happened. He fled Jersey City and eventually landed in Queens — where the now-married father of two was finally arrested in his home.

“We never could have imagined this would be the way we would see her again,” wrote family member Miriam Colon-Veltman on a page. “The gruesome brutality of Evelyn and her baby’s murder have deeply broken us.”
‘We could never have imagined’: Queens man arrested in brutal 1976 strangling and dismemberment of pregnant teen girlfriend

There is a female suspect too? I missed that part. This case is even sadder than it seemed. :(

(Not because of a female suspect...just all of the other details emerging about Evelyn's young life. )

Not at this point. Just a year before the murder, LS according to the kidnapping article lived with another girlfriend who was part in the kidnapping. However we were unable to find out for sure whether the LS in the kidnapping is the same. Location and age match, but id be surprised if he was released without consequences after a severe kidnapping... so not sure if it is the same man. The name is not uncommon.

The female suspect discussed above was from the news article linked that talked about the kidnapping case Luis Sierra was involved in the year prior to Evelyn's death. In that article there is a woman mentioned who was involved as a suspect in the kidnapping.

Her Facebook page just posted a statement from her family which was very poignant. Her upcoming baby was going to be named Emily Grace and it also said that Evelyn was very close with her mother and had hazel-green eyes.

There was a big emphasis on how much they loved her and how close she was with her family. Sadly looks like it was a case where they may have attempted reporting her missing or were unable to due to obstacles like language barriers.

"That profile was submitted to public DNA databases in a process known as genetic genealogy in search of living relatives who may have uploaded their DNA to the same databases in a popular effort to learn more about their own history, police said.
Luis Colon Jr. was flagged as a likely nephew of Evelyn Colon, who had gone by the moniker of Beth Doe over the many years as investigators labored to identify her, police said. He knew his aunt went missing in the 1970s and suggested troopers talk to his father, also named Luis. The elder Colon provided a description of his sister, including a mole on her cheek and a scar on her leg, police said. He confirmed she was about 15 years old and eight to nine months pregnant, police said."

This is so incredibly sad. So many cases are, but this one has me in tears. Just...everything about it. It’s what gives me the will to invest so much time in the UID. They all have someone, somewhere, who is missing them.

- Justice for Evelyn and Emily!

It made me tear up seeing her baby's name next to hers. Such a profoundly sad case. Her calling her mother and asking for some soup and then her coming over to an empty apartment was also horrible :(

I am eager to see what she looked like when the time comes.

Wow. Luis was only a junior in high school in '76 (he would have been around two years behind, but guess it's hard to stay on top of school when you're out committing felonies on a regular basis). It makes me wonder where his parents were, but at the same time, I think there's a good chance that he was simply ungovernable. There's normal teenage delinquency, and then, there's sociopathy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91
Back